Author Topic: Groundhog...  (Read 4942 times)

rook

Groundhog...
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:07:20 AM »
I have a groundhog, living under my shed. What is the best way to smoke him out to trap/kill him? He is bothering the gardens. All help or suggestions is welcome. I am in a area I can't shoot him with my .22. If I get a good shot, I will try w/ a crossman air rifle.

Rook

Offline Nicco

• Prepper
Re: Groundhog...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »
An airgun will not be effective against a groundhog....even a 22 will not stop them in their tracks unless you have a good headshot.  You can pickup a $25 animal trap from harbor freight to trap him:  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9646   

homeshow

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
set a snare.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »
Yeah, I think you're just going to piss it off with an air gun.  A headshot MIGHT stun it long enough to whack it with a hammer.

I'd go with the snare if it were me.  But, since you can just shoot it, I'm guessing you're in town somewhere.  You might have to trap it under the pretenses of relocating it to the country...where it can be shot properly. ;D

So says I, Tactical Badger...Mighty...uh...Mediocre Killer of Groundhogs

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Groundhogs are tough critters.

Your best bet is to trap it.  Block off all access but one way in & one way out, they typically have multiple entry & exit points so look around.  They probably won't be close to each other & groundhogs are tunnelers so you may need to search in an ever expanding circular manner to make sure you've covered the area. 

If it's only under your shed it shouldn't be too hard, but they are observant & fairly tricky so you should also shoot video of you trying to outsmart the groundhog so we can all have a good laugh. ;D

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
If it's only under your shed it shouldn't be too hard, but they are observant & fairly tricky so you should also shoot video of you trying to outsmart the groundhog so we can all have a good laugh. ;D

I'd pay money for that!!!

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
An airgun will not be effective against a groundhog....even a 22 will not stop them in their tracks unless you have a good headshot.  You can pickup a $25 animal trap from harbor freight to trap him:  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9646   
Sorry to burst your bubble there Nicco, but I have personally witnessed a .22 body shot on a groundhog at about 25-30 yds. that left the creature most decidedly dead. Ok there rook, on to your question. An air rifle shot will probably not kill one outright unless it is a lucky shot, but the potential is still there. Homeshow has a good idea about using a snare. They do have extra entrances most times,but not always, so trapping one can get rather expensive. A snare placed at the entrance holes is a lot less expensive. If you have to go the trapping route, a snare is about as cheap as it gets.  As with everything else, there are no guarantees that you will be successful. Good hunting there rook, and yes, let us know how it works out for you.  :)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
I hope this guy isn't under your shed:

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
I'm going to make a confession here for the sake of my fellow TSP'ers enjoyment.

Until July of last year (I was 29 years old at the time) I had led my whole life believing that a groundhog was a ficticious creature in the film 'Groundhog Day.'

I 100% promise you I am telling the truth about this !

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
I had led my whole life believing that a groundhog was a ficticious creature in the film 'Groundhog Day.'
I am pretty sure the movie is ficticious, but I know the animals are real.

That's a good one TrashCanMan. Thanks for that. I needed a smile today. :)

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
I'm going to make a confession here for the sake of my fellow TSP'ers enjoyment.

Until July of last year (I was 29 years old at the time) I had led my whole life believing that a groundhog was a ficticious creature in the film 'Groundhog Day.'

I 100% promise you I am telling the truth about this !

City folk!! ;D

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
No way!  I'm a country boy, just in a country with no groundhogs!

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »
I hope this guy isn't under your shed:

Just so everyone knows.......this picture posted here by bartsdad is a prarie dog and not a groundhog. To see the difference, go to these WikipediA pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_dog . Although they are both members of the rodent family, they are two different branches, and the groundhog is about 3 times larger in size of the prarie dog. This is the reason that an air rifle is not the best chouce for a weapon to kill these creatures.

Just so we're all on the same page here so to speak.

By the way.......if you look on the page for the groundhog, and read the description, you will notice the nickname whistle pig. Not real sure where this originated at, but my Dad explained the reasoning for the whistle part.
Actually, it comes as two parts for the whistle. These little guys have a sort of whistle that they do at times for whatever reason, and... if you are hunting them, and they start to run for their burrow, if you whistle real loud as in a shepherds whistle type of loud, these guys will often stop dead in their tracks, stand up on their hind feet, and look to see what is going on. I know of a few hunters that have got a second chance for a shot at one of them by doing this little trick.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:44:52 AM by DIM TIM »

thatJeffguy

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
.22LR, subsonic ammo, a side-on shot just behind and low to the eyeball.  A subsonic .22LR is pretty quite, but if it's still a bit noisy use a CB cap and keep the distance short.  A .22LR CB cap to the head or neck will result in a near-instant kill, after a quick "death jump" from the muscle contraction.  I wouldn't bother calling the police afterwards.  Shoot, shovel, and shut up.