Author Topic: Storing Cooking oils (Olive oil, Vegetable oil, Soy sauce. etc.....)  (Read 3309 times)

Offline leprechaun

• Prepper
Does anyone have advice on storing olive oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce etc...? If those items are not good long term, what would be?

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
Re: Storing Cooking oils (Olive oil, Vegetable oil, Soy sauce. etc.....)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
Oil doesn't keep that long, but the colder the better.  Soy sauce will keep forever if sealed (a lot of salt in it).  All fats will eventually go rancid, so the best solution is to identify a source that you will have access to in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

Offline Maddog

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »
leprechaun

We buy olive oil in gallon tins, which if placed in a cool, dark and dry place will last indefinitely. We only use olive oil in our house, so a gallon doesn't last very long. We keep 4 gallons in stock and buy a new tin when we empty one. There are 3, or 4 containers in the kitchen which we have oil in for everyday use, which saves from having to struggle with a large tin every day.

we prefer the tins because they are harder to puncher or break and are easier to transport, but any oil in glass, or plastic will last as long. Just keep it in a cool, dark and dry place and be careful when handling.

Regards,

Dan

Offline leprechaun

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
thanks

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »
We buy olive oil in gallon tins, which if placed in a cool, dark and dry place will last indefinitely. We only use olive oil in our house, so a gallon doesn't last very long. We keep 4 gallons in stock and buy a new tin when we empty one. There are 3, or 4 containers in the kitchen which we have oil in for everyday use, which saves from having to struggle with a large tin every day.

we prefer the tins because they are harder to puncher or break and are easier to transport, but any oil in glass, or plastic will last as long. Just keep it in a cool, dark and dry place and be careful when handling.

We just bought 12 gal of EVOO in tins. Marketing said it would last 10-15 years.  I hope so, cuz we spent a lot on it.  it is in a cool dark spot, still in the boxes in which they came.been pleased with it so far.

looking to get some coconut oil too, but dunno....

also looking to perfect butter making for that source.

and those are the oils we use in the house.

Offline wiseguy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:51 PM »
I know that this is a really old thread, but where are you buying your olive oils, and since it has been a few years since you first posted this, how are the results?  Is it really going to store for 10 years? 

Thanks

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
Yes! I would love to hear how it has gone for you, Morning Sunshine...

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
I know that this is a really old thread, but where are you buying your olive oils, and since it has been a few years since you first posted this, how are the results?  Is it really going to store for 10 years? 

Thanks
Don't worry about reviving old threads.  The information is here to be used.  If it doesn't move to the front pages of each board, it is often completely forgotten.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »
  Ten year storage with freeze dried shortening powder or butter is about longest of stuff I use though Coconut oil is a semi solid below 75 degrees or so and will do for at least a couple of years..GHEE is also good though I have not used it yet.

Shortening:https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Shortening-Powder-lbs/dp/B00LBGNJNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515808785&sr=8-1&keywords=augason+farms+shortening+powder

Butter: https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Butter-Powder-lbs/dp/B0096I6XSU/ref=pd_bxgy_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0096I6XSU&pd_rd_r=K0698V35RF2GPK1Y5M88&pd_rd_w=DM2gy&pd_rd_wg=Zs8Fq&psc=1&refRID=K0698V35RF2GPK1Y5M88

Offline wiseguy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »
Don't worry about reviving old threads.  The information is here to be used.  If it doesn't move to the front pages of each board, it is often completely forgotten.
Thanks.  There is a lot of information here.  Finding the right place to start is the hard part. :-)

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Thanks.  There is a lot of information here.  Finding the right place to start is the hard part. :-)

You may find that using the search bar (near top right of page) works great.Bust as I understand it ,it searches from the section you are in...so a search from the HOME page will get widest,most complete, search.