Author Topic: wood pellet vs corn  (Read 4173 times)

Brewguy

wood pellet vs corn
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
I need some help with the math.  Wood pellet bags are currently running about 5.99 per 40 pound.  Corn is a bit less for 50 pounds.  I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off to buy corn instead of wood pellets.  I looked this up before but I found the numbers confusing and I was not able to answer my question.  Has anyone looked into this? 

Offline Zef_66

• Senior Survivalist
Re: wood pellet vs corn
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
I need some help with the math.  Wood pellet bags are currently running about 5.99 per 40 pound.  Corn is a bit less for 50 pounds.  I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off to buy corn instead of wood pellets.  I looked this up before but I found the numbers confusing and I was not able to answer my question.  Has anyone looked into this? 

I would assume that you can figure that buying corn is cheaper that buying wood pellets. But the problem lies in knowing how much heat you will get from each. And that is even more of a problem because there is no real set accepted figures for the heat value in wood pellets that I know of, and corn is even worse or a variant. Best bet would be if you are buying in commercial bags, see if the manufacturer offers a heat rating in BTUs. This can then be used to compare one to the other.

But generally speaking, the heat content of wood pellets vs corn is roughly the same. The heat value of corn can change based on the moisture content. And the heat value in wood pellets can change based on the type of wood and glue used. But typically, they can assumed to be equal.

I would go with the corn.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Brewguy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »
I would assume that you can figure that buying corn is cheaper that buying wood pellets. But the problem lies in knowing how much heat you will get from each. And that is even more of a problem because there is no real set accepted figures for the heat value in wood pellets that I know of, and corn is even worse or a variant. Best bet would be if you are buying in commercial bags, see if the manufacturer offers a heat rating in BTUs. This can then be used to compare one to the other.

But generally speaking, the heat content of wood pellets vs corn is roughly the same. The heat value of corn can change based on the moisture content. And the heat value in wood pellets can change based on the type of wood and glue used. But typically, they can assumed to be equal.

I would go with the corn.

Right the heat content is what confused me.  My plan was to get the corn at the feed store, maybe I'll try and get a ton or so of corn this year and mix it in with the pellets.  I've also read that the mixure makes it more efficient than one or the other alone. 

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
Before you buy a large amount buy one bag and give it a test run. Some not all don't like 100% corn. Also some wood pellets are hardwood and some are softwood, big differance in how they burn.

Hope this helped.

Brewguy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:09:47 AM »
Before you buy a large amount buy one bag and give it a test run. Some not all don't like 100% corn. Also some wood pellets are hardwood and some are softwood, big differance in how they burn.

Hope this helped.

I know my stove is a corn and wood pellet model, from what we found while researching not all of them are designed for corn. 

Maybe I can fire it up to see how it works for a test, it is stinking hot right now though.  The other upside to corn is in a worst case I can eat it..

Offline akdentist

• Survivor
  • One man with courage is a majority - Jefferson
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
If you buy by the ton from a co-op or directly from the farm, you will always get grain cheaper than buying by the 50 pound bag at a feed store. 

What is astounding to me is the fact that people are burning grains when we have a world-wide grain shortage.  I am sure that the economics of burning grain will flip in the next year or two.

Then again, since you are burning corn and it is most likely a hybrid from Monsanto, burn all you want.

Cheers!

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
If you buy by the ton from a co-op or directly from the farm, you will always get grain cheaper than buying by the 50 pound bag at a feed store. 

What is astounding to me is the fact that people are burning grains when we have a world-wide grain shortage.  I am sure that the economics of burning grain will flip in the next year or two.

Then again, since you are burning corn and it is most likely a hybrid from Monsanto, burn all you want.

Cheers!
The economiical advantage comes from burning corn you raise.
+1 is no income tax on your grain you burn. 20-30%
+2 is no sales taxe on your heating fuel 7% apx.
+ 3 soon to come will be the sidestepping cap and trade fees/price increases.
You keep more for yourself.
As far as burning corn from a farmer. If the farmer will sell it to them at market price it would be $3.00-$5.00 a bushel.

Hope this helps. ;)

Hope this helps you understand the madness.

Hotpie

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
 :o         I had no idea you could burn corn, just excuse my ignorance          :D

Gunz

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
Do any of the wood pellet stoves operate on a battery set-up for the auger/feeder?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
Do any of the wood pellet stoves operate on a battery set-up for the auger/feeder?

Not that I have seen.

Gunz

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
Thanks.  Thought maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.  I'm leaning toward just a regular wood stove.  We had one in the basement in our previous house, I should have taken it.