Author Topic: Canning Classes  (Read 5614 times)

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
Canning Classes
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »
Check it out... look around for your local extension service, and call them about canning.

We in SE OK had missed the 1st (sold out, first time ever) round, and got enough names (10) together to schedule another.

It was great!  10$, two meetings, all supplies included, and you go home with the Ball Blue Book and other materials, and two canned items!

(Carrots for Pressure Cooking for me, and Apples for Boiling)

Note: All pressure cookers' gaskets start to go "bad" after the first time (of the season) you use them.  Storing them is not practical as well, since they start to get rigid etc. the 1st time you use them.  I saw a lady's All-American pressure cooker, and, its awesome!

The lid has a tapered-cone fit, with 6 flip-up-screw-down toggle bolts.  Looks like a pro paint pot or something.  Check them out....that's the one I'm getting!

Note 2: Watch out about using smaller jars in a boiling rig--its precarious...the wire racks are bare-minimum, and if your jars touch they'll often crack (mine have cracked 2 in 2 batches.)  I got my boiler setup (hot water bath) at True Value, the same type they sell at WM.  Get a better one!

Cheers,

G.

p.s. We've done 15 half-pint of blueberry conserve and 7 pints of strawberry preserves since, and they just taste awesome!

Offline Sharpe

• Survivor
Re: Canning Classes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
Great info!  Thanks for the post.  I am having trouble finding where to call in my area.  I have searched to no avail online.  Can anyone help a brotha out with a number or website?  BTW, I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

Gracias!

RS

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Website

http://dallas-tx.tamu.edu/

County Extension Agent office

Texas AgriLife Extension
Dallas County
10056 Marsh Lane, Suite B-101
Dallas, TX 75229-6071
Ph: 214-904-3050

if you can find a class, please post it to the Region area. Quite a few people around DFW might be interested.
8/3/2009 4:56p

Offline Sharpe

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
Great info!  Many thanks Chris.

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »
Our county extension office was once a treasure trove of knowledge, and assistance.
For the last 10-15 years all that I can get out of them is pamphlets. :-[
I have canning books, and would like to learn how to can.
I have a pressure caner that I plan on using for game meat so far.
Hopefully I might be "invited" to help can vegetables next season?
Got to start somwhere.
M

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
I teach canning at a local community college, you might check your local community college's list of non credit courses.