Author Topic: newbie sewing question  (Read 2603 times)

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
newbie sewing question
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
ok guys/gals, I need some advice, please :)

I have the need to stitch thickish canvas material and army style thick webbing together, neatly and in a way thats going to be tough.

I guess a sewing machine is the way to go and I've done a little research but its overwhelming.  Where do I start?

Thanks

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: newbie sewing question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
Either use a heavy duty or jean needle in the machine along with heavy duty thread. You might want to buy extra needles b/c they're likely to break. Years ago I wasn't able to sew through some really heavy stuff on my son's backpack, so we took it to a shoe repair shop. The guy reinforced the straps and areas that seemed weak. If you're not having luck with your machine, the shoe repair shop is your best bet. It's worth the few extra bucks you'll spend.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
P.S. to your question: If you try this on your sewing machine don't forget to use heavy duty thread on the bobbin, too. You will probably have to loosen the upper tension and use a longer stitch length. Holler back if ya need more help.  :)

Don't try sewing heavy duty velcro on your machine, almost ruined mine. And especially never try to sew velcro with sticky back on your machine, it will definitely ruin your machine.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks for your advice :)  +1

But how would the shoe repair shop do this?  How could velcro be stitched in place?

Is it just a case of an industrial sewing machine?  Maybe something a bit beefier than what most people would have at home?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
HI Trashcanman... I would say, Yes, it is mostly a case of needing a more industrial-type machine. Over the years, I have done a lot of sewing for various things... making clothing and home decorating... some re-upholstery work... when the thickness of the material gets to a certain point where you usually either break the needle or just simply can't get it to sew an even stitch through it.

Velcro... I've done it on the machine in the past with no problems... but I agree about the sticky type... not good. It tends to 'gum up' the works.

I haven't had to sew any on for awhile, but can remember sewing it on my husband's military uniforms are various times over the years and had no problem with the non-sticky stuff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:25:13 PM by lvschant »

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »
Yeah, it's the heavy duty velcro that's a pain to sew. A shoe repair shop has an industrial type machine. I've taken purses with shoulder straps that were too long for me and they've shortened the strap and stitched it back on.  

Another place to try is a saddle shop if you have one near you -- their machines can sew anything.