Author Topic: KnoxMan's First Garden  (Read 10077 times)

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
KnoxMan's First Garden
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »
Hey folks . I have been listening to Jack for nearly a year or so. I have gotten my wife into listening as well. Since then we have had very numerous discussions about the times we are living in and the times that may be coming our way . Which has led up to starting our prepping and such . We have decided to start our first ever sustainable garden . Also we are getting a deep freeze and we already had a dehydrator , but only used it a few times in the 3 years we have owned it . It is going to be getting some use now . LOL.. I would like to share with you all some pics of the garden in succession from what I started with and to where we are in the present. Hope you all enjoy and would love any feedback you all may have .Oh and the other thing is ... how do you get pcs onto the board?

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Re: KnoxMan's First Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »
Good deal KnoxMan!  Look forward to seeing the picts.  I did my first garden last year and enjoyed seeing the picts as the garden progressed.  Got some great feed back as well.  As for posting picts, I'll PM you the link.

BP

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »
Glad to hear of another new gardener.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.

You will need to upload to a site like Picassa Web or Photobucket.  When replying, you will need to click the button that looks like this and put the URL of the image between the bracketed items it puts in place.

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
OK here is a link I hope to the way things used to be around our house... and also there are pics in there of things that are being done this year . Hope this works out and everyone enjoys   http://www.flickr.com/photos/30371293@N07/    Thanx for any input you all may have.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
Cool pictures, I like the home-made compost tumbler. 

What is this structure on the left here?:

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
The Structure on the left is one of the bed frames upside down , so I could line it with plastic to keep the treated wood chemicals from leeching into the garden

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
Here we go . I am so slow with some of this computer stuff at times ... forgive me

Modified by Berserker Prime to show picts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:21:03 AM by BerserkerPrime »

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »
OK so that didn't go well

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:25 AM »
KM, look for the images below the bold Italics Underline.  Run your cursor over the second one in (it will say insert image as your curser hovers over it.  Click that and you'll see some thing like this img img with brackets on them.  Next, go to your flicker picture and click on the picture you want, let it open up by itself, then right click on the image.  Open properties (at bottom), then copy the http address.  Then paste that address inbetween the img blocks.  That should work. Hope that helps.

BP

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
Welcome Knox, looking forward to seeing the progress.  Looks like you have plenty of sunny space to work with.

Got some bad news though-

looks like someone was stealing your shed while you were messing with the uploads.   ;)

Offline trucker larry

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:33:10 AM »
Knox,
 I have a very similar setup w/ my compost bin. What I found (that works good for me) is by moving that front brace up (or removing it entirely if the stand is stable enuff), I can get the wheelbarrel underneath the barrel and dump the finished product straight in rather than scooping it out...

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:38 AM »
Hey guys . Thanx for the help thus far. I am a new Mac user and some of the things I am still trying to translate over to using the Mac. Larry , I am planning on moving that front brace this year . I threw that compost bin together with all recycled materials that I scavenged around for .   If I were still on a PC , I would definitely have this down

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
BTW Knoxman, that is a really sweet set up you have there!  I love the full size trees on the property as well!

DM

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
Hey guys . Thanx for the help thus far. I am a new Mac user and some of the things I am still trying to translate over to using the Mac. Larry , I am planning on moving that front brace this year . I threw that compost bin together with all recycled materials that I scavenged around for .   If I were still on a PC , I would definitely have this down

KnoxMan...perhaps you would find this link useful

http://www.debtmd.com/scraper

I wrote a script where you put in the URL for any page on the internet that has pictures and it gives you the forum code to use to post it to the forum for each picture on that page.

Here is an example:

http://www.debtmd.com/scraper/index.php?PID=http%3A%2F%2Fthesurvivalpodcast.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D14273.0%3Btopicseen

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
thanx ladieu..... Lets give it a try shall we .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:32:13 PM by KnoxMan »

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
WoooHoooooo!!!!!! finally got it to work right .... HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! I guess I am not as dumb as when I woke up this morning . Thanx again . I learned something LOL

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Here is an up date on the indoor plant growth     Please don't mind the mess ... we are in the middle of birthing some new family members LOL...... My plants started getting way too leggy ... so I went and got a grow light ... they seem to be responding to it very well
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:05:41 PM by KnoxMan »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
grow light?

What kind
where
and was it expensive?

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »
It was a $9.97 fluorescent shop light fixture that uses T12 bulbs .... and they have T12 full spectrum bulbs as well for around $6 a piece ..40 watts .... the whole thing was right under $25 and was obtained at The Home Depot..... this light is not as good as a high pressure sodium light set up .... but is working great for what I am needing and using it for . Hope this helped cohutt

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
Hey Knox.  I found that on my compost turner that when the stuff settled at the bottom it was very hard to turn.  Do you find the same thing?  If so, how to remedy?

Thanks

J

Offline KnoxMan

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
KYdoomer . I have found the same problem .... up till now , I have been using brute force . And since it has been such an awful winter here for us this year , I have not done anything about it ...... But I have given it a thought or two..... There are several ways to go about it .... you could weld some type of handle to the center pipe as well as weld the barrel to the center pipe ...... But what I am thinking about trying to do/find is ..... I seem to recall seeing a dual wheel set up a long time ago that was used to turn a tumbler ..... I am going to try to apply the same method ..... it is kind of like using pulleys to pull a very heavy load .... except you are using multiple wheels to lighten the force needed to turn the barrel... When I actually find what is locked away in my brain , I will share it with the rest of the class LOL.... Hope this helped

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
Yeah that would be helpful.  I've tied a rope around mine (its closer to ground level) and just pulling with all my might.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not but I tell you, this is the best compost I've ever made!

You know I thought about counterbalancing mine by placing weights at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.  I wonder if that would help the spin. 

J

Offline JustinChase

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
I haven't built my tumbler yet, but my plan was to have a few "spikes" either welded to the barrel and/or the axle to break up/prevent any clumping, and weld or bolt an old motorcycle sprocket to the barrel, with an old chain to another sprocket mounted to a large wheel to turn it all; probably an old bike wheel or something similar.  maybe I'll just use a couple of posts in an x shape instead of a wheel.  I figure if the gear ratios work for a 10-speed bike, it should work for a compost bin.  I figure I'll work out the sprocket/chain system and see how that does before I bother with the "spikes" inside the barrel.

One of these days  :P