Author Topic: First Contact  (Read 3042 times)

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
First Contact
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »
OK, so it is nothing too extravagent, but it was my first contact as a newly licensed Ham.  I put out a “——- Listening" call on the local repeater and started a conversation with a local Elmer.  I met him at my test session, he was the main administrator, and also found out that he has helped a coworker's son out with getting an HF rig setup.  Very nice guy!  Then, before I knew it, there were all sorts of Hams jumping in to form a nice impromptu group/net.  What was even more enjoyable were the numerous congrats for passing my test and welcomes as a new ham by every single operator that joined in!  Man is this a friendly hobby!  I think I am gonna like it! 

Hello everyone, my name is  and I'm...  I'm a...  I'm... a dork.   And proud of it!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:51:39 PM by firetoad »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: First Contact
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »
OK, so it is nothing too extravagent, but it was my first contact as a newly licensed Ham.  I put out a "——- Listening" call on the local repeater and started a conversation with a local Elmer.  I met him at my test session, he was the main administrator, and also found out that he has helped a coworker's son out with getting an HF rig setup.  Very nice guy!  Then, before I knew it, there were all sorts of Hams jumping in to form a nice impromptu group/net.  What was even more enjoyable were the numerous congrats for passing my test and welcomes as a new ham by every single operator that joined in!  Man is this a friendly hobby!  I think I am gonna like it! 

Hello everyone, my name is  and I'm...  I'm a...  I'm... a dork.   And proud of it!  ;D

Yeah, but a dork with an AR 15... and radios.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:51:25 PM by firetoad »

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
and don't forget the newly arrived Food Saver!   ;)

All kidding aside, this is going to be pretty neat, especially once I fix my mobile.   :)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:33 AM »
OK, so it is nothing too extravagent, but it was my first contact as a newly licensed Ham.  I put out a "——- Listening" call on the local repeater and started a conversation with a local Elmer.  I met him at my test session, he was the main administrator, and also found out that he has helped a coworker's son out with getting an HF rig setup.  Very nice guy!  Then, before I knew it, there were all sorts of Hams jumping in to form a nice impromptu group/net.  What was even more enjoyable were the numerous congrats for passing my test and welcomes as a new ham by every single operator that joined in!  Man is this a friendly hobby!  I think I am gonna like it! 

Yeah, but a dork with an AR 15... and radios.

...and a plan. ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:51:11 PM by firetoad »