Author Topic: Hunting in Texas?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline jabo53

• Prepper
Hunting in Texas?
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
I will be moving to East Texas some time in the next 6 months.  I am moving from Utah, which has tons of public land to hunt on, what about Texas? 

I have caught comments here and there about how expensive it is to hunt in Texas.

Why is this, is it because of the large amount of private lands requiring your own land or a hunting lease to hunt on?  I intend to pick up a 150+ acres after some time, but until then... On the public lands that ARE available, how is the hunting? Pretty crowded?

Often times here in Utah for the General hunt, the common areas (easier to hunt) are often pretty packed with hunters.  For this reason we have moved to the muzzleloader hunt, which has much less bodies in the areas we like to hunt.  That aside, it can still be pretty busy, at least till we get off into the bush a ways.  But we are on a draw and point system here , even for the general season.  My brother-in-law has not drawn a general tag for 3 years (mulie, antelope or elk).  I know the Texas permit system is abit different with the ability to take multiple deer in one season, I just hope access is not an issue.

Let me know your thoughts... Thanks!

Oh I intend to hunt deer, hogs, all tasty winged creatures. 

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Hunting in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »
I'm also curious about the hunting in Texas.  Does anyone know the legal ramifications of hunting on private land.  I'll have 15 acres that should have some deer on it.  Do I still require a permit, or is that allowed?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
Here's a link to the TPWD.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

If you know someone, hunting can be free. Otherwise, you have to go the lease route. I can't give you any info on lease rates, I don't lease. I have 30 acres, but only once have I seen deer tracks on my land. And it was July. Never seen a deer during during season. Hope the above link helps.

Offline scrappy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »
You can get all this information from the TPW publication Chris referenced, but I'll give you a few highlights.

Deer hunting does tend to be expensive, if you don't have land or know someone who has land you can hunt on.  If cost/value of your meat is a consideration, you are probably not going to want to pay for a lease.  The cost of the lease is going to make the cost per pound of your meat pretty high.  You do need a hunting license to take deer even on private land.  Some counties may have minimum property sizes on which you can hunt, but in most cases I think 15 acres is going to work.

Wild boar are, by a wide margin, your best bet for hunting if your purpose is to provide food, and cheaply.  Hogs run rampant, and do a huge amount of damage to crops and livestock.  There is no closed season for wild boar (javalina are a different story), and they can be taken with any method you choose.  Some people have packs of dogs that will pin the pigs down, then they run up and stick the pig in the neck with a knife.  Many farmers will be happy to let you trap pigs on their land, some may let you hunt with other methods.  They can be hunted day or night.  If the animal isn't too big, the meat is terrific.  The best bet is to trap them, then feed them on corn for a few weeks before slaughtering them.  Makes the meat better.

I don't know many people who hunt them, but rabbits and squirrels can be hunted year-round in many counties.

Dove hunting is wildly popular, at least in central Texas, though it isn't a way to get many calories.  Mourning and white tip dove have a limited season, pigeons are open all year.  In the past there has been a program which allowed you access to a great deal of private property for hunting for about $40.  Usually restricted to dove hunting.  I can't find the information on it for this year, I hope that they have not discontinued the program.

Waterfowl are not as popular where I live, but then, I don't live in a place with a lot of water.  Probably more activity in other parts of the state.

Generally non-native species (such as wild boar and many imported ungulates) can be hunted any time.  However, with the exception of wild boar, you aren't going to find a lot of that.

Coyotes can be hunted any time.  I think that they have to be legitimate "pests" (did damage, are damaging, or are threatening to damage crops, livestock, or other property).  But if you see a coyote, it's doing something it shouldn't be.  Like eating my entire flock of chickens.  Unfortunately, I don't think coyotes provide prime steaks.

Other pests can generally be hunted any time as well, but most of them aren't good eating.  Bear cannot be hunted in Texas.  Mountain lions are considered pests, and can be hunted at any time.

Offline jabo53

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »
Thank you for the input and summary... it gives me better overall feeling for things.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
Thank you for the input and summary... it gives me better overall feeling for things.
I second that ;D

I may have to research what it would take to lure wild pigs to my land.  I know that they are in the area.  I plan to have a large tree area and a pond.  Figure I can lure a fair amount of wildlife that way.