Author Topic: Natural "first aid" and Feminine items for prepping  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Greenthumbelina

• Prepper
  • Peace, Love, & Home Protection
Natural "first aid" and Feminine items for prepping
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »
I have been in the natural product industry for a long time and I was thinking about working on putting together a list of things that are currently available which I personally would not want to leave home without. Of course I AM NOT a doctor or practitioner of any sort, I will only be speaking from personal experience or that of someone close to me.  Any interest?

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Natural "first aid" and Feminine items for prepping
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
I'd love to get your ideas and we could contribute as well.  Just off the top of my head -- calendula salve.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »
That would be great information... thanks!

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
Related items:

Physicians Desk Reference - Herbal Medicines.
Vol. 4 is out in hard copy, color pictures, www.scribd.com has volume 2 online free to download.

Plant identification book for your area.

Jennie_in_Iowa

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:09:23 AM »
One or two healthy aloe plants, calendula, an echinachea patch, lots of garlic, a patch of yarrow, a patch of lavendar.  That would be easy to maintain and useful for a wide range of complaints. 

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good book for this type of info?

Jennie_in_Iowa

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Anything by Rosemary Gladstar is easy to read and basic in it's approach.I have her "Children's Health" herb book.  I also have a book I found at a used book sale called, "The way of the herb" or something, it's pretty good. Not sure if it's still in print though.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 02:45:01 AM »
Handbook of Medicinal Herbs is not bad. I bought a PDR Herbal used off Amazon marketplace myself years ago and refer to it often.

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
These are what I have all the time on hand!
I like The Prescription for Nutritional Healing... it references many, many symptoms, ailments, diseases etc... and how to treat them naturally with either herbs, minerals or vitamins, supplements. I have used it for years and reference it constantly.

For natural first aid I would not be without garlic of course! I am addicted to extra virgin coconut oil. And store it by the gallon bucket. It works great as a diaper barrier cream, moisturizer and even as a natural lubricant! It helps heal cuts and scrapes, works great as a carrier oil when making salves. I like to mix it with eucalyptus oil and use it as a chest rub, or lavendar oil and rub it on the temples when needing to relax or for headaches. Works great as a natural stool softener when taken internally and gives you lots of energy. Coconut Cures by Bruce Fife has much, much more info!

Here's more...
Bug Band natural bug spray lotion with geranium. Works great and smells good too!

Raw Honey by the gallon! Great for cuts, coughs, sweetener etc... if you get local honey even better for allergies!

GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) This is a must have. It is a natural antibiotic. Last year I had bronchitis bad and instead of going to the dr for an antibiotic I used 10 drops in O.J. and drank it twice a day, along with my homemade Apple Cider vinegar concoction, but I was completley better in 2 days! GSE has been researched and know for killing many germs including staf! It is the power behind my natural cleaners, you can also use it diluted topically for many skin problems. It dries out the infection and kills it!

Tea tree oil (also for cleaning, and using it in homemade baby wipe solution, great for fungal infections or weird skin infections)
Lavendar oil or the plant!
Arnica tablets, or arnica flowers to make muscle rubs. Great for muscles, bruises, headaches etc...
Fennel for gas
I like the homeopathic Hylands drops, they make so many different ones. Rescue Remedy! Teething tablets for babies and kids, chamomilla for restlessness,irritability and growing pains, arnica for muscle pain and headaches, ledum for stings/bites. These bottles are very tiny and easy to store!

RAW Apple Cider Vinegar!  (ACV)Great for many things! Great to splash on a salad with some olive oil, but really works when you are sick as well. You can make a "tea" out of it. Some raw crushed garlic soaking in a cheesecloth in ACV and warm (not hot) water. Big tablespoon of raw honey for sweetness. You make a shot of it and just chug it down! Will cure you quick!

Cheap white vinegar You can can get 2 gallon jugs of it for a little over $3 at Sam's or Costco or BJs. This is the base for all my cleaners, also freshens laundry and works as a fabric softener.

Oh and cloth pads, cloth diapers and wipes are a must. We use these as part of our everyday life.  In a SHTF scenario you can always boil them, sanitize with hydrogen peroxide or GSE and some vinegar to clean them up a bit and hang them to sun dry.
Okay... I am sure there are tons more that I use and love, but my kids are destroying the house! :) I'll post more later as they come to me! :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:26:20 AM by livingmydream »

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
This is an area I know I'm weak in so I am thankful for any info you all care to share.

Offline Dontforgetyourlipgloss

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »
DIVA Cups are great....
 :o

amanadoo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
I agree 100 per cent with everything "LivingMyDream" said. I would add only Baking Soda. It's the main ingredient in my home-made deodorant and face wash, plus it literally doubles powdered laundry detergent. There are dozens of other uses for it too.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
Livingmydream +1 Thank you so much for that informative post.

I'm a big herbal tea drinker, and realized that in a crisis situation I may have to have my own herbs growing if I wanted any tea to drink. So this year I ordered lots of heirloom open polinated herb seeds to plant my own little herbal tea garden outside. Then, I realized that many of the tea herbs I love are also valuable medicinally. Now, I'm learning about herbal medicine too. Also, I'm motivated to get rid of any toxic cleaning chemicals in my home by the end of the year, and to make my own cleaners and soaps. We have plenty of goats milk around here, and have hand milled our own soaps in the past, but this will be our first foray into the world of lye and all the dangers therein.

So much to learn and do, and so little time!!!

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
http://vu.ksurf.net/index2.html

the above link for virtual university has a VERY inexpensive online class on herbal remedies you all might find interesting I enjoyed it and refer back to my notes frequently. I took the nutrition class to it was really good.
MzLabby

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
just went and checked the herbal class is not listed but I still have lessons in pdf I would be willing to share if anyone is interested.