Author Topic: Long term storage of pet food  (Read 2186 times)

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
Long term storage of pet food
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »
I don't see on here anywhere a discussion about long term storage of pet foods. I saw where some folks were buying in bulk and rotating, but what about long term storage? Specifically for dry cat food. I would think that it would go bad fairly quickly being stored in its original packaging, but what about mylar bags? Or should I just buy in bulk and rotate and hope it is enough should I need cat food long term and make plans for alternative food (human food) if I should need it?

TSP Inflatable Goat Brigade

Offline akdentist

• Survivor
  • One man with courage is a majority - Jefferson
Re: Long term storage of pet food
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »
Look into the BARF diet for your dogs and cats.  http://www.barfworld.com/

When we got our dogs 4 years ago, my wife said we would be feeding them raw food.  I was skeptical, but the dogs are healthier, have better coats, do not get that crud in their eyes and their feces are smaller, do not stink and degrade within a couple of days.  When we compared to the cost of premium dog food, it is cheaper, they eat less and there is more nutrition for the animal.

This weekend we slaughtered a bunch of chickens and many of the parts we do not eat go into bags that will feed our dogs for weeks.  The pig we slaughtered a few weeks ago left us a couple of months worth of dog food and the cow that is going to the butcher next month will give us enough bones and scraps for the rest of the year.  But, prior to raising our own animals, we would just shop for bargain meats at the grocery store - often less $ per pound than dry animal food.  The bones and meat would be supplemented with sweet potatoes, plain yogurt, extra eggs from our chickens, excess goat milk, apples and a lot of other stuff you would not think that they would eat. 

Cheers!

Online bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »
The fats in the food will go rancid over time. The freezer is a very safe place to store kibble for all the critters.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline TSPMike

• Prepper
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »
I don't stock much food for my dogs or my cat. Just enough for a couple weeks to a month. My reason being that if SHTF I'm no longer feeding the cat as he is a mostly outside cat anyway, and the dogs will eat what I don't.

I will be looking into barf, one of my dogs drops landmines big enough to take out a tank ;D Anything I can do to make them smaller and less stinky would be great.

Offline lzhome

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
canned food will keep a long time but is more expensive. But if times get really bad that canned food might start looking pretty good to ME! :o

So I do keep canned food for the dogs and cats; enough for about 2 weeks.