Author Topic: Changing workplace carry policies  (Read 2710 times)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Changing workplace carry policies
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
I carry my firearm wherever I am legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon. As such, I have it on me a good part of each day.

However, my workplace, like many workplaces in the country, has a policy forbidding weapons on the premises.

I do not want the thread to be about the legalities of "premises" and if you can leave the gun in your car.

I DO want to hear from anyone that has addressed this type of policy with their employer, achieved a reinforcement or a change in that policy, how well received the inquiry was, and if there were repercussions from asking about it.

I am strongly considering asking my employer to consider changing this policy, but am somewhat concerned about being professionally branded or stigma'd over it.

I do not want to hear posts about "it's your rights!", because I also have to feed my family. It's a question about a real guy with a real wife and real kid in a real career at a real employer. I can't necessarily afford to be an idealist here.

Any experiences or suggestions?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Changing workplace carry policies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Funny you brought this up because I started doing a little digging on Friday about just this subject.

I plan to put together a presentation for our Board of Directors and submit a policy change request. 

I'm searching the internet for suggested documentation and am hoping to find someone or someplace that has already done this.

Our work prohibits weapons on the premises, but they have broken policy and turned a blind eye to hunters keeping weapons in their vehicles to go hunting with after close of business.  I don't want to try to use this as a tactic though, I don't feel it would have the correct tone or impact.

Our board is made up of 3 farmers, 2 left wing nut jobs (Believe me, I'm not kidding on that one). and the other 2 are pretty level headed business owners. 

I only need to get 4 of them to side with the policy change.

I'll keep you posted as I proceed and also look forward to any other responses on this thread.

Offline Mortie

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
Way to go, Docwatmo. I eagerly await the outcome.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »
The only time I had success was when our GM was an avid shooter in our informal group that would go to the range every Saturday.  He even arranged for bulk ammo shipments to the office and hand delivered 50 cal cans with 1,000 rounds to my desk.

Those days are gone, but I don't work at the office anymore.  My guess is that your level of success is directly proportional to the size of your company.  A company with 10,000 employees just isn't going to change a policy like that.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »
I think we may have a chance being that the board is more heavily weighted by farmers and older people who shoot and hunt. And we have 70 employess (Electric Cooperative filled with hunters and shooters).  But I agree a large corporation isn't going to modify the policy for a few people.

I am going to send a petition around for employees to sign.  I'm willing to bet I can get a signature from 90% to 95% of the employees.  Might help.

I still don't expect success but I would be remiss if I did not at least make the effort.

I didn't make it on the board agenda for April, but I'm penciled in for the May board meeting (I believe its the 25th).

Once I have my stuff together I'll post it for commentary and critisism.  (I'm thick skinned so tear it up  ;D )

Doc

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
I work (indirectly) for a very large, global corporation. Their policy is no weapons on the person, in the workplace or in your vehicle on company property.

I carry a P3AT daily and the car has a CZ-52.

Due to the size and politics of the company, I will not address this policy. (Other than completely ignoring it)

I practice concealed carry.