Author Topic: US sugar supplies 'running out'  (Read 9285 times)

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
US sugar supplies 'running out'
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8200515.stm

A number of large US food manufacturers have called on the government to ease sugar import limits, saying they fear the country could run out of supplies.

The letter from firms such as Kraft Food and Hershey comes in the week sugar prices have hit 28 year highs due to worldwide supply shortages.

Currently US food firms can only import a certain amount of sugar before they have to pay import tariffs.

Edited due to copyright issues -- please see here for Fair Use info.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:18:58 PM by Mr. Bill »

Angie

Re: US sugar supplies 'running out'
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:48:02 AM »
I read this yesterday and went to Costco's and bought another 50# of sugar, bringing my total to 100#.  I may go get some more.  (can only handle so much weight at a time).  The prices at Costco had not gone up, which is nice.

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:54:32 AM »
I read this yesterday and went to Costco's and bought another 50# of sugar, bringing my total to 100#.  I may go get some more.  (can only handle so much weight at a time).  The prices at Costco had not gone up, which is nice.

How much is 50# at Costco?

Angie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
Just over $18.00.  I had to buy 2 25# bags (due to weight), so I paid a little over $10.00 a bag for them.

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »
Just over $18.00.  I had to buy 2 25# bags (due to weight), so I paid a little over $10.00 a bag for them.

Thank you.  Very cheap

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
Aldi has 5# bags of sugar for $2.19 each.  Easier to store and especially easier for long term storage.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
If I had more storage area I would keep more sugar. As it is I only have about 15 #.

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Sounds like another version of the "Great Rice Run of 2008" to me.

Nothing like a good scare to drive up sales...

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
I buy sugar in #50 bags and store it in sealed water containers.  They are the square kind and they stack easily.  I also do the same with salt.

Offline nikki1843

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
I keep about 4 five pound bags at all times. I am getting ready to ramp up my stock pile of food preps though for the coming winter season.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »
I keep a stock up since my hobbies like sugar (bees, canning jam, etc). I have over 50 lbs right now.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »
This story is (or was this morning) on the front page of CNN

sarahluker

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
Texasbound,
What are sealed water containers?  I'm new to alot of this.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
Texasbound,
What are sealed water containers?  I'm new to alot of this.

First, any food grade container will work that is clean and has a tight lid.

The water containers that I use are blue in color (keeps sunlight out), food grade, and have a spigot.  They are primarily used for water and can be found at most filtered water stores.  They seal up real well to keep out any dirt and bugs, and the spout is handy for fine stuff like salt, sugar and liquids.  I like them, because the square shape stacks easy.

sarahluker

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
thanks.

Offline Granny Miller

• Prepper
    • Granny Miller - Smallholder's Daily - Granny Miller's  Homestead, Garden & Pantry & American Home Canning
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
I seriously doubt US sugar supplies will run out no matter what the MSM claims.

That said, there is indeed a world wide sugar shortage. Sugar is trading heavy in India & China, with actual shortages in Iran.
Sugar like wheat, coffee, soybeans, cotton, oats, pork & beef appear to be promising long term investments. In some ways they are better than silver or gold.

Keep in mind that a good part of the world's sugar supply is cane sugar and is most certainly NOT US beet sugar. Cane sugar is what people want.
Here's why:

The majority of the US sugar is beet sugar.
Believe me - nobody in the world who knows anything about US beet sugar will touch it with a 10' pole  8)
It's literally poison.

Here's why just in case you missed it -

In the late winter & early spring of 2008 GMO sugar beets were planting for the first time in world history. The sugar lobby owns Washington and  despite very load protests from food safety advocates & people like me  ;D there was not even a peep from the MSM.

GMO beet sugar has been on American grocery shelves and in processed food since late November or December 2008. This is a completely untested food and with the advent of US GMO beet sugar, the total GMO crops in the US is now at 8 .
 Most Americans have know idea what they're eating and assume (I think wrongly) that GMO food is "safe".

Since last November (beet harvest) I have spent the extra money and am buying 100% pure cane sugar for my pantry. It costs almost 2 1/2 times as much but at least I know what it is  :D  

Offline Granny Miller

• Prepper
    • Granny Miller - Smallholder's Daily - Granny Miller's  Homestead, Garden & Pantry & American Home Canning
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
Here's a link if you'd like more info on GMO foods
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/SeedsOfDeception/index.cfm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:00:38 PM by Granny Miller »

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
The water containers that I use are blue in color (keeps sunlight out), food grade, and have a spigot. 

Sounds like Aquatainers!

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
Sounds like Aquatainers!

We have these and love them. They are very study and stackable.

RE: the thread, I've heard the same scare about sugar, but haven't heard of any sugar shortages in Ag related news. Maybe I should pay closer attention.

sarahluker

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »
I remember that after Katrina the sugar supply was supposed to be depleted due to the cane being destoyed.  I stocked up and used that sugar for a long time.  Gave the prices time to come back down abit.  Whether we do have a shortage or not thank goodness sugar stores well.  It wont go bad if we get too much now.  Just more sweets for later!

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 12:26:49 AM »
The sugar lobby owns Washington and  despite very load protests from food safety advocates & people like me  ;D there was not even a peep from the MSM.

You got that right; it's amazing how much power they have.

Most Americans have know idea what they're eating and assume (I think wrongly) that GMO food is "safe".

Since last November (beet harvest) I have spent the extra money and am buying 100% pure cane sugar for my pantry. It costs almost 2 1/2 times as much but at least I know what it is  :D  

Seeds of deception is a great source; also, this article: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805

Monsanto is about as evil a company as there is.  >:(

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 02:13:01 AM »
Just sent over 34 thousand tons from Hawaii to California. (for real, no joke) Hope that helps!

The sugar industry is in dire straits here though. So expensive to operate. its sad that hawaii was built on the sugar industry but now left to two plantations.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »
I live in the heart of sugar beet land. Trains upon trains are filled every day. There will be no shortage of sugar. It may noy be the kind yo like but it will be avalable.

Offline Wonovan

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Donovan's Political Ramblings
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
I work at a company which supplies various grocery stores in the area with practically everything. I recently spoke with the person in charge of buying our sugar, and she said that the price of sugar was going up on an almost daily basis, which was making her job quite difficult. She personally felt that come the holidays, there would be a huge shortage, globally.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
Milk and sugar make my tummy feel good!

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »
I just remembered, last summer it was  announced Florida was going to buy out US Sugar for a measly $1.75 Billion.  They are going to return 187,000 acres back into swampland.  Oh, and totally destroy the economy around the town of Clewiston and Hendry Co.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/24/AR2008062401140.html

sarahluker

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:48 PM »
Found this on us sugars website.

PRESS STATEMENT

U.S. SUGAR APPLAUDS COURT RULING AUTHORIZING SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT FINANCING FOR HISTORIC LAND ACQUISITION

Released: August 26, 2009

Clewiston, FL — August 26, 2009 — U.S. Sugar Corporation applauded today’s 15th Judicial Circuit Court ruling authorizing the South Florida Water Management District to move forward with its plans to issue Certificates of Participation (COPs) to fund the historic acquisition of company lands for restoration.

“We are very pleased with the court decision today that validates the District’s authority to finance the $650 million needed to complete this critical River of Grass land acquisition so that Everglades restoration can move forward,” said Robert Coker, senior vice president, public affairs.

“There was little doubt as to the public benefit of acquiring this land for necessary water storage and water treatment to improve Lake Okeechobee, the Florida Everglades, and the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers and estuaries,” Coker said. “The South Florida Water Management District’s legal team, staff and supporting attorneys did an excellent job of presenting and defending throughout this lengthy legal process what has been an accepted and approved public financing mechanism.”

“Hopefully, now everyone can move forward so that Governor Crist’s great vision for the Everglades can be designed, engineered and constructed to protect South Florida’s natural resources,” Coker said.

###

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
Here's a link if you'd like more info on GMO foods
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/SeedsOfDeception/index.cfm
Thanks for the link.  Since I am battling Systemic Lupus Erythematosus I need to fight back with as much info as possible.  I fear for our young people and children as many have been raised on a lot of this chemicalized food.  I appreciate your posts.  Blessings TBM

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
Its not the sugar lobby, its the corn lobby.  They keep the prices on sugar high with tariffs so all manufacturers are forced to use HFCS.

J

sarahluker

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
My daughter has really bad allergies and corn is one that causes upper respiratory problems.  Well until this came up I never knew how much stuff has corn in it.  Some products use cornstarch as a separator to prevent clumping.  Its also a thickening agent.  It is even in things under different names.  So I believe you about the corn lobby.  They make a fortune and aren't about to lose the profits to sugar.