Author Topic: US sugar supplies 'running out'  (Read 9268 times)

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
Re: US sugar supplies 'running out'
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Its not the sugar lobby, its the corn lobby.  They keep the prices on sugar high with tariffs so all manufacturers are forced to use HFCS.

J

+1

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
I noticed the in the past to months, sugar went up 10 cents a pound. I'm stocking up while I can.

Offline Wonovan

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Donovan's Political Ramblings
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Judge Rejects Approval of Biotech Sugar Beets

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/business/23beet.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

A federal judge has ruled that the government failed to adequately assess the environmental impacts of genetically engineered sugar beets before approving the crop for cultivation in the United States. The decision could lead to a ban on the planting of the beets, which have been widely adopted by farmers.

sarahluker

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
I just bought my groceries and two weeks ago sugar cost me 1.94 for four lbs.  Today it was 2.44.  I know groceries fluctuate, but it seems most of my groceries have gone up in the last few months.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »
I just bought my groceries and two weeks ago sugar cost me 1.94 for four lbs.  Today it was 2.44.  I know groceries fluctuate, but it seems most of my groceries have gone up in the last few months.

I wonder if inflation is starting to take hold.

J

Offline Sunnybrook

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
TexasBound: Do you store your Aquatainers filled with sugar and salt indoors or out? 

I live in TX and have my water filled Aquatainers in my garage.  Do you think that bugs would find their way into the salt and sugar if I stored them in Aquatainers in the garage? And do you know how the heat and weather extremes would affect their shelf life?

THX!

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »
TexasBound: Do you store your Aquatainers filled with sugar and salt indoors or out? 

I live in TX and have my water filled Aquatainers in my garage.  Do you think that bugs would find their way into the salt and sugar if I stored them in Aquatainers in the garage? And do you know how the heat and weather extremes would affect their shelf life?

I store mine in the garage, up off of the floor.  The cement floor can sweat, which has led me to keep all storage elevated on a pallet by a few inches.  In the garage, things stay a little cooler, plus I keep them covered with a tarp to keep prying eyes off and the sun out.  I've never had any bug problems of any kind.  The bugs won't mess with the salt at any rate.  The sugar is the one to watch.  I use my food stores and rotate, so that none of it ever sits for more than 6 months.  I would be concerned about storing grains this way.  I've always had issues with bugs and grains.  Don't know why.  The key to keeping out the bugs in my opinion is: make sure the containers are clean (residue and stuff stuck to the outside will bring the bugs looking), make sure all containers are properly sealed and kept closed (no easy entry), keep stores up out of water and condensation, and last rotate and use what you store.