Poll

What are you doing differently with your money the last six months?

Saving more, keeping my money in the bank
Saving more but keeping my cash outside the banking system
Saving less, my expenses have gone up.
Saving less, my income has gone down
Nothing has changed for me.
None of the above

Author Topic: POLL: What are you doing with your money?  (Read 5224 times)

GroundPounder

POLL: What are you doing with your money?
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
I am curious what everyone is doing with their money these days?  Have you significantly changed your spending and savings habits?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: POLL: What are you doing with your money?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
I have a nest egg in non-dollar dominatred assets outside the country, a small cache of cash, and everything else gets spent asap.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
I am only buying necesseties (sp.) right now for the most part.
I am an essential city government employee, and my wife is a teacher that is high up in the school system. We feel secure in our jobs, our house is WELL within our means, and is getting extra paid on it every month. I owe less than 2000 on my pickup, and all vehicles will be paid for. I have most of the toys I want, and all the toys I need per se.
I try to spend about 100 dollars a check on "FUN" stuff, like guns, reloading, my watch collection, auctions, etc. Everything I buy usually has a reason to be bought, and can be used.
My little side business of leather work is finally starting to pay for itself, but its so fun, its paid for mentally already. It buys more leather anyway.
The rest of the money goes into paying debt from college years and having nothing. We are financially sound, but not rich by any means. Savings account is growing, but slowly.
Not sure where I was going with this, as its getting late and I am tired.
Oh, I forgot, I also have my old money collection consisting of old paper money, lots of silver, and the like. Might be 500 face value or so. Maybe more, counting paper.
Rip

Allerion

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »
Still maxing my Roth and 401k.
Reduced automatic purchases of taxable account index funds by 50%.
Raising cash to buy cars and real estate as I run into deals.
Stopped all purchases of individual stocks to raise cash faster.

I have no debt and don't intend to use any to purchase assets in the next 18 months.
Watching for more tax credits to be offered for purchasing foreclosures.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:21:51 AM »
We are putting every cent into debt.  we have two months worth of salary in savings and are knocking out the bills.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:35:19 AM »
I am saving but not much. Student loans kicked in this month and things are tight. I am on my own version of Dave Ramsey's 'gazelle' plan doing what I can. After the 1st I plan to get a second job. In spite of the tight financial belt I still manage to have an adequate food and Survival Prep Fund that is well maintained. Overall I am a happy camper because in spite of my debt (student loans) I still feel very much in charge of my life and direction.

millerized1

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »
What?!!! No "Blowing through it like Uncle Sam" category?!!!
So, what am I supposed to vote for now??!!

Seriously, tho....buying AIG, GM, Citi, and Merrill stocks at prices that look like a bankruptcy sale ;)

(Honestly, paying the remaining bills off as fast as I can since just about everything else is "done".....but that statement isn't very Millerized, is it?!!)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
-1 for not being a Millerized statement!

TxChikk, those school loans can take awhile. My wife has been teaching for 11 years, and only has 600 left to pay off. They arent getting paid every month, but when we have the extra. The interest is soooo low, and the next payment is in 2011. We will probably get them done here in the next 6 months, tho.
Rip

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
-1 for not being a Millerized statement!

TxChikk, those school loans can take awhile. My wife has been teaching for 11 years, and only has 600 left to pay off. They arent getting paid every month, but when we have the extra. The interest is soooo low, and the next payment is in 2011. We will probably get them done here in the next 6 months, tho.
Rip

Rip, yes I know, my brother & his wife are experiencing the same thing. I wish you and your wife the best too. We all have to be in it for the long haul as they say. I started with my desired payoff date and worked from there to a date I feel I can realistically reach. Being single with no kids, a low maintenance person with an almost spartan lifestyle and almost no debt aside from the loans I can reach my goal of having them gone in 5 years. My motivation beyond getting out of debt is to own my own place. Realizing I can be that free is a very powerful motivator.

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
We're saving as much as we can; and we've increased the % we keep liquid, both in bank and out.

Still maxing the 401(k). It is getting a lot more shares than the same amount of money than in June  ::)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
TxChikk, We just bought our house 3 years ago, after renting for sooooo long. A place to call your own is the best thing to have.
My wife has paid for 2 Masters degrees, and everything else, so I think we are doing pretty good. Good luck on your home! DM

Pokethis

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
I have some in bank, some in non-dollar (moving more and more into), some in hard assets.  Paying off car asap paying more on it.  Have 8 months worth of emergency fund.  In short I'm saving my ass off.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
We are putting every cent into debt. 
i dont have much left hopefully i can be to the good in a few more months.

Offline Kurtz13

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »
stopped paying my 3600/ month mortgage and using money to pay off bills.  Stopped paying into IRA and put hold on all stocks and ETF's and started  saving cash in hand and buying silver and gold.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:30:45 PM »
We are putting every cent into debt. 
i dont have much left hopefully i can be to the good in a few more months.

I should also say that we are prepping much heavier in the last couple months.  

Good luck to you on the debt.  Must be a great feeling seeing the end in a few months.

Pokethis

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »
Damn them and I don't care who/how we got here.  We are suffering.  Lets not lose our heads but root them out into the daylight and watch them wilt.