Author Topic: PVC Greenhouse  (Read 9741 times)

smkymtn

PVC Greenhouse
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
 I found these plans that I am modifying for my use (A large aquaponics system, 2x 600 gallon round plastic fish tanks, with grow beds) and thought they would be helpful.

http://www.pvcplans.com/ArchGrnHouse.pdf

Also don't forget about adding onto existing buildings, the one I am working on is built on the side of my workshop out of scrap wood and polyfilm, it will house a small aquaponics system.

Hare of Caerbannog

Re: PVC Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
Thanks smkymtn
I just saved those plans.
I have nothing planned right now, but that looks pretty easy and like you said, could be used for several things.
I was thinking chicken tractor.
+1 for you

smkymtn

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »
Thanks smkymtn
I just saved those plans.
I have nothing planned right now, but that looks pretty easy and like you said, could be used for several things.
I was thinking chicken tractor.
+1 for you
Thanks and plus one back on the chicken tractor. I was getting ready to do a wood one  ;)

Offline Soup

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Live Free
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
Thanks for posting the PVC greenhouse, I was picking out a spot today where I wanted to build a small greenhouse. I think I will give it a try this fall.

Gimmie a bump if you find a good set of plans on the fore mentioned chicken tractor, Im looking at different plans on those too.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »
Gimmie a bump if you find a good set of plans on the fore mentioned chicken tractor, Im looking at different plans on those too.
Not exactly plans, but someone else posted this in an earlier thread around here someplace. 

I saved the picture to see if I could maybe build one.

Miniprairie Schooner

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
I noticed from the plan that they use staggered top joins because they are using "T's".  You can also use one "cross" here instead of two "T's".  They are available from the same manufacturers.  It will be neater and stronger.

Cheers

Synaptoman

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:01:55 PM »
I noticed from the plan that they use staggered top joins because they are using "T's".  You can also use one "cross" here instead of two "T's".  They are available from the same manufacturers.  It will be neater and stronger.

Cheers

Synaptoman

Good observation.
Yea the cross would be more stable than the T and one cross is cheaper that two T's.
Good point.
+1 for you

smkymtn

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:44:32 AM »
I noticed from the plan that they use staggered top joins because they are using "T's".  You can also use one "cross" here instead of two "T's".  They are available from the same manufacturers.  It will be neater and stronger.

Cheers

Synaptoman
Thanks I was thinking along those lines Mr. aquaponics  ;D read your blog quite often!

Offline deaconblue22

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
Thanks for the plans, I was looking for a way to make a greenhouse like this.  Now I just need to get the wife to say o.k.  She's not totally on board with prepping to this degree yet, but thanks to Jack's straight forward logic on why we prep, she's coming around!

702midwife

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
Hmmm...  I have some old round trampoline frames I have been saving for something or other.  I may be able to adapt them for a greenhouse.  Cool.  Thanks for the ideas!

702midwife

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
I have been debating building one of the pvc greenhouses vs buying a kit at harbor freight.  Our local harbor freight has them on sale right now.  http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=greenhouse
We are considering the 6x8 for $350 or the 10x12 for $650.  Anyone have any experience with these? 
Didnt mean to hijack the thread, but by the time i buy all that pvc i wasnt sure if it was that much cheaper.

Offline Mom of 7

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
Does anyone have an idea an approximate cost of the materials of the PVC greenhouse? It is exactly what we were hoping to do next.  Just wondering what to set aside for this project!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »

Offline Mom of 7

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:20 AM »
WOW!  These are some great plans!  I like the idea of rebar tapped into the ground vs buying wood as a frame base.  It would be a lot more portable and cheaper that way.  Thanks so much!