Author Topic: What are you brewing?  (Read 34996 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What are you brewing?
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
It's cool enough up here now that I can probably do lagers in my garage until early spring.   

BTW: I just racked my 2nd iteration of your Trippel recipe.  This time around I used a darker syrup, and bumped up the hops about 20%.
For whatever reason there was a ridiculous amount of trubb in the bottom of my bucket.  I salvaged most and will harvest the yeast.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #301 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »
I will be celebrating Thanksgiving by making a cranberry wine!

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
I will be celebrating Thanksgiving by making a cranberry wine!
woohoo!!!

i picked up 5 gallons of raw, unfiltered apple cyder a few weeks ago. Now I have 3 different 1 gallon carboys going with 3 different yeasts to see what the results are... (my son drank the other 2 gallons)...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
My long weekend includes this:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/24867/name-this-recipe

BTW: looking for a clever name

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »

hmm, lots of sweet stuff there.. How about 'Sweet lovins'?

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
hmm, lots of sweet stuff there.. How about 'Sweet lovins'?

I really doubt it'll finish sweet.  That's all fuel for the monster yeast that will result in 9%+ ABV

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
I really doubt it'll finish sweet.  That's all fuel for the monster yeast that will result in 9%+ ABV
better add some sucrose then...

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
I did a double brew day again yesterday, as this is the last brew day until the move is complete.  Brewed a Bohemian pilsner, which I used American 2 Row.  I did a single decoction mash, which after I was done I realized that I had done it incorrectly. 
I decocted 7 qrts and started to boil, which is correct, but the problem was I boiled the grist for 45 minutes.  The non decocted portion was held at 130 degrees for about an hour and a half.  If I had been using "less-modified" malt, this might not have been a problem.  But being that I used highly modified 2 row, this beer may end up without much body.  The only thing that may help is the fact that I did boil the grist as long as i did.  Going to give it the lager treatment, primary fermentation at 48 degrees for 2-3 weeks and then lager it for 4-6 weeks.

I also brewed a brown ale that will get a pound and a half of maple syrup in secondary.  I wasn't thinking when I started the mash for this one by starting it to early, my kettle still had the pilsner in it... The mash for the brown was held at 154 for almost 2 hours.  This will also lead to a beer that will probably be a bit thin... not to mention the fact that I will be adding the fermentables (maple syrup) later in the fermentation.

It's cool enough up here now that I can probably do lagers in my garage until early spring.   

BTW: I just racked my 2nd iteration of your Trippel recipe.  This time around I used a darker syrup, and bumped up the hops about 20%.
For whatever reason there was a ridiculous amount of trubb in the bottom of my bucket.  I salvaged most and will harvest the yeast.

It'll be interesting to see how the changes affect the flavor.

The Bitter Monk
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
A thin brown ale? I think you may have inadvertently invented a new style Grewywolf  ;D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
The "Bitter Monk" is in primary fermentation.  Starting gravity was 1.090.  Brew calculation had 1.095, so I'm pretty happy to have gotten as close and maintained volume during the process.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Brewed a Spotted Cow replica, 4 weeks and we'll see what it tastes like.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
A thin brown ale? I think you may have inadvertently invented a new style Grewywolf  ;D

I have definitely made a "thin" brown before... actuall all of the browns I have brewed ended up thin... :(
My mash ended up being 2 hours long... so I hope the b-amalyse didn't strip all of the dextrins out of the wort.  It just about finished primary in about 3 days... will see how it is when I rack into secondary.  (I thought I would have a 5 gal fermenter free by the time this one was done... nope... *sigh*)  I'm actually picking one up from a buddy in the brew club... is it wrong to have four 5 gal batches getting ready for bottling?
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
is it wrong to have four 5 gal batches getting ready for bottling?

No, but I pity whoever has to sanitize 20 gallons worth of bottles and crowns.  A kegging system would be very appealing in that situation.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
Yeah... tell me about it...
The kegging set up is not planned until later next year, gotta make it through the holidays first

*SIGH*
Life will go on.  I will bottle beer... and drink it afterwards!

Offline RS

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
I have a basic 5 gallon bucket kit. This will be my second batch I've ever made. It is an American Pale Ale kit. The beer has about a week left till I think it can be bottled. 

This has been a fun hobbie to start and I've learned a lot.  My goal is to build a wort chiller after buying a few other accessories this next year. 

I signed up to 13 skills and put brewing as one since I'm just starting.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Is it wrong to have four 5 gal batches getting ready for bottling?

wow.... I just bottled 10 gallons. I feel your pain.
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
wow.... I just bottled 10 gallons. I feel your pain.

In full disclosure, one 5 gal batch is a barleywine that will be aged for at least 6 months before I bottle, 5 gals of a dubbel brewed the last week of October that I will not be bottling until January, 5 gal of the maple brown that might get bottled this week, and a pilsner that will have 2 months in lager... sooo in reality it is spread out.  It is also motivation to get into kegging.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
In full disclosure, one 5 gal batch is a barleywine that will be aged for at least 6 months before I bottle

Enjoy the barleywine!  I just dipped into last year's batch about a month ago and it is YUMMY!  When I bottled it, I pulled about a gallon off and stuck it in the freezer and made iced barleywine out of it.  Whew!  That's got some kick!

Started a batch of honey ale last night.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
Brewed a Spotted Cow replica, 4 weeks and we'll see what it tastes like.

Bottled all 5gal of it. Just needs to carbonate.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
5 gallon batch of honey ale now bottled.  hmmm...what do I start tomorrow.  Maybe a brown ale....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #320 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
I have a light english brown that's on the nutty/caramel side, one week fermented.  That was my first batch where I hand milled the grains myself.  The $20 Corona grain mill works ok, but I did have to get rough with it as the finishing work was sloppy.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
20 gallons, ouch! I finally just bit the bullet and got some kegging supplies since I got three brew kits in December  :o

I have two meads and a wine going. I just kegged an ESB, I'm brewing a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA clone today and then in a week or so I will be brewing a Black IPA, yum!

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
I just kegged an ESB, I'm brewing a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA clone today and then in a week or so I will be brewing a Black IPA, yum!

Are you doing some sort of continuous hop addition like what Dogfish uses?  I have to say, I have become quite fond of their IPAs... the "east coast" beers seem to me to be more malt forward, compared to some of the hop bombs that come from the west coast.

I think I will be doing another double brewday this coming weekend.  I think I'll do a black saison and a bock or doppelbock

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Brown ale has a few more days in secondary before going in the bottle.

Just started a 'light summery ale' with some honey, dried orange peel, and coriander.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Just started a 'light summery ale' with some honey, dried orange peel, and coriander.

Sounds delicious!

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
Sounds delicious!

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to it.  Will definitely post on how it turns out.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
Brown ale has a few more days in secondary before going in the bottle.

Care to share a recipe?

Thanks
-S

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
Sure thing...Keep in mind it's still in primary.  I have not tasted it.  It's actually a kit I got from Midwest.  They called it Grand Cru.  Recipe:

6# extra light dry malt extract
2# clover honey
8oz carapils
2oz Hallertau (1oz for bittering and 1oz for aroma)
1/2 oz dried sweet orange peel
1oz coriander
5oz priming sugar
Wyeast Belgian wit #3944

Steep grains 30 mins at 155 degrees; remove from heat and steep for another 10 mins before removing.  Add DME, return to the burner and bring to a boil before adding 1oz of hops.  Boil 60 mins.  With 15 mins left in the boil, add honey.  Add orange peel, coriander, and remaining 1oz hops for the last 5 mins.  All standard from there...cool to below 80, pitch yeast, and you're off to the races.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
Sure thing...Keep in mind it's still in primary.  I have not tasted it.  It's actually a kit I got from Midwest.  They called it Grand Cru.  Recipe:

6# extra light dry malt extract
2# clover honey
8oz carapils
2oz Hallertau (1oz for bittering and 1oz for aroma)
1/2 oz dried sweet orange peel
1oz coriander
5oz priming sugar
Wyeast Belgian wit #3944

Steep grains 30 mins at 155 degrees; remove from heat and steep for another 10 mins before removing.  Add DME, return to the burner and bring to a boil before adding 1oz of hops.  Boil 60 mins.  With 15 mins left in the boil, add honey.  Add orange peel, coriander, and remaining 1oz hops for the last 5 mins.  All standard from there...cool to below 80, pitch yeast, and you're off to the races.

Thanks - I'll have to do some conversions, as I've recently become an all-grain snob  8)

edit:  looks like I found a cheat sheet:
http://jaysbrewingblog.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

6# DME shakes out to ~10# of grain.  I expect the 2# of honey to kick up the ABV % - albeit gradually over time.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »
Thanks - I'll have to do some conversions, as I've recently become an all-grain snob  8)

That's on my 13 in 13 list.  :)