Author Topic: Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday  (Read 72390 times)

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »
In a survival situation, everybody has a list of things that they feel are necessities. What about the things that aren't really necessary that we take for granted everyday?  Does anybody have a "recipe" for shampoo or soap, or even something like fabric softener? 

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
One of the things I have thought alot about lately is canning.  If you needed to can food and didn't have or couldn't get the seals to seal the jars you could use wax.  It will seal the jar and you can save it, melt it and reuse it.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
That will work my Grandmother used wax to seal jelly and jams.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »
My sister and I have been cutting corners since fuel cost have gone so high.  We no longer purchase laundry detergent, instead we use this age old recipe.
I store it in a quart jar and you use only 1 or 2 tablespoons of detergent depending on how dirty the clothes are. 

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap (grated fine)
1/4 c Arm & Hammer washing soda
1/4 c 20 Mule Team Borax 
Mix & store.  1 quart of this cost us about 2.00 instead of costing 15.00.  This does about 50 loads depending on if you use 1 or 2 tablespoons.

It cleans very well. 

tinfoilhat

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:44:56 AM »
I've been making my own household cleaning products for a while now and can post some recipes later on when I can compile them.  Most of them involve basic ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, Borax, castile soap, and essential oils (tea tree, lemon oil, etc.).  Much healthier and cheaper to use than the expensive chemical-laden branded products from the store.  My mom has made me homemade beauty/personal care products with good success on several occasions, so I can try to hit her up for recipes as well.  She can make lotion, soap, nail cream, cuticle oil, and bath oil/salts that I can think of off the top of my head.

It's kind of funny seeing how the chemical companies have tried so hard for so long to get us to adopt their products by acting as if they are vastly superior to "basic" products like baking soda.  Yet now that we are in the midst of a "green revolution" you see companies touting the virtues of simple products like baking soda!  These things worked for our grandparents, I don't see why we should be led to believe they won't work for us, except the profits are not as fat from simple products. 

I figure the more we can return to natural, inexpensive, simple products now, the easier our transition will be when the other stuff isn't available for whatever reason in the future.  Even if we just don't have the money to spare for those things.  I'll try later on this week to get a list together of some recipes to use.  I'd be interested in knowing what other homemade products people have had good success with as well.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:54:13 AM »
Mineral Salt can be used for deodorant.  They now have large salt rocks you can purchase.  You wet them with water and apply under the arms.  No aluminum, no other chemicals, just the salt.  Now it's not a antiperspirant just deodorant.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
Mineral Salt can be used for deodorant.  They now have large salt rocks you can purchase.  You wet them with water and apply under the arms.  No aluminum, no other chemicals, just the salt.  Now it's not a antiperspirant just deodorant.

I use one of these Susan and they do work great. The minerals kill the bacteria that make your pits smell  ;D I have been using the same one for a year now and I've used only half a stick. They are more expensive then regular deodorant but it lasts much longer.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
One of the things I have thought alot about lately is canning.  If you needed to can food and didn't have or couldn't get the seals to seal the jars you could use wax.  It will seal the jar and you can save it, melt it and reuse it.

If I am to understand what you are saying, then wax is absoloutely not a substitude for the metal plates that you buy for canning. Canning requires that the food be boiled in the jar fully submerged then allowed to cool and create a vacuum seal. If this process does not take place, then it is not canning and the food in the jars will have a very short storage life. It could just be that I misunderstood what you said though...

As for soap, I have been working on this for a while without some limited success. To make soap from scratch you extract lye from the white ashes of hardwoods (softwoods contain too much resin) by one of several means (boil the ashes then skim the brown liquid OR strain water through the ashes and the resulting brown liquid is lye water). This lye water can be used as a cleaner like 409 or used to make soap, the lye water can be boiled down to increase its potency. The other half of the soap recipe is to mix this lye-water with clean fat while both substances are heated. This is the basics of soap, I won't go into precise how-to's in this thread.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
On the canning, you boil the jars, put the hot food in them, leave about 1/4 of an inch of headway at the top, clean off any residue, melt the wax, pour about 1/8 th of an inch of wax on the top, wait for it to cool and then pour about 1/4 of an inch over that.  It seals.  When I was growing up, the lady next door to us did it with everything, we ate everything she cooked and never did get sick

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »
I would be very hesitant about this method, and it certainly wouldn't work for pressure canning. I'm sure that it would work for acidic foods with a short storage time, but I don't know that I could trust my life (read botulism exposure) to this method.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »
I think the safest measure for food preservation (if you have no jars, and there is no electricity) is to dehydrate or dry them.  You can use a water bath canner for acidic foods, then for those foods that are not you must use a pressure cooker canner.  Freezing is ok but there are problems when there is a loss of electricity. 
You can grow your own beans and dry them, there are seasonal foods, Root vegetables can be stored in a cool dark cellar.  Root cellars might be a great option for storage. 
Wax is only to be used on jams and jellies storage. 
Grow vegetables that can be stored through the winter.  My great grandfather used to wrap green tomatoes in newspaper, store them under his bed and they would turn red and he'd have tomatoes in December. These were tomatoes he picked at the end of the growing season.  Turnip greens you can pick the greens early but later in the fall there is turnips you can pull up to eat.  Rutabagers (waxed turnips) can be covered in paraffin then stored in a cool dark place most of the winter.  Hubbard squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, are all good to store during the winter for winter meals.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »
Nice topic DarkEyes.

I'm going to pin this one to the top.  Let's try & keep the responses to tried & true methods & we'll start a database of our own.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
On the canning, you boil the jars, put the hot food in them, leave about 1/4 of an inch of headway at the top, clean off any residue, melt the wax, pour about 1/8 th of an inch of wax on the top, wait for it to cool and then pour about 1/4 of an inch over that.  It seals.  When I was growing up, the lady next door to us did it with everything, we ate everything she cooked and never did get sick.

I have checked my references and cannot find this method for anything other than jellies.  PLEASE do not do this with your own foods.  Pickle, alcohol, or jelly: use one of these methods and not wax on hot pack or pressure canned foods.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »
Hair conditioner - mayonaise, or beer or egg whites
Baking soda - toothpaste
Body odor - shaving cream
Insect bites - salt or egg "skin" (the film on the outside of egg/inside shell)
Children's colds - Vicks on bottom of feet. (with socks, of course)

Also, keep used bar soap instead of throwing them away.  Double boiler - melt, cool, cut. (Add just a little water)

Offline Conductor71

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:24:51 AM »
Years ago, my doctor explained women shouldn't use talcum powder because the dust can travel internally and cause major problems.  She suggested corn starch.  My husband and I have been using it for years.  it works great!  We just keep it in an old powder dispenser and refill it using a funnel when it runs low.  It's much cheaper than talc powder and isn't so hazardous to your health ;) 

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the soap.  I have millions of little pieces of soap due to 3 kids that break soap in half for some reason.  I will start melting it down and re shaping it this weekend.  I've been putting it in a jar and adding a little water to make liquid soap and putting it in dispensers for hand soap. 

If you have kids that wear black patient leather shoes...you can make them shine by rubbing them down with a biscuit. 

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
Kind of related. Pepper poured in the radiator will stop leaks. I have done this with mixed results. I have also heard a raw eg dropped in the radiator will work too.

Larry

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 06:52:09 AM »
Hello, All -
I'm slow in posting, obviously.

Having just read the post en re: wax used in canning, I HAVE TO SAY THE FLAG WENT UP ON THIS ONE.  The only time we ever used wax in such a manner was when we made jellie.  Yes it tasted good, but jellie had no where near the amount of work or potential hazards as other foods. 

Probably just a happy memory on dark eye's part, but no, not part of the canning process.

I'm not any where close to an expert on canning, but I know that wax is not viable.

Regards,
Larry

DarkEyes
Survivor

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 09:24:10 AM »
A great alternative to Cascade or any dishwasher detergent and works great! 
1 cup borax
1 cup Washing soda
Mix and put into a covered container. 
I use 1 tablespoon for a load of dishes. 

A friend of mine also adds 1 cup of color bleach powder to the above recipe because she thinks it helps cut down on sharing germs.  I think it's not necessary
if dishes are washed in hot water but it don't hurt.   If you decide to use the bleach you still use 1 tablespoon per load.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »
The wax canning is for jellys and jams. They have a very high amount of sugar. Sugar at that level retards spoilage.

If you notice, your jams and jellies will mold in the fridge before they spoil any other way. The wax prevents molding.

You can't feed honey to infants because it may have botulism spores in it that never 'hatch' due to the sugar content of the honey, and an infants digestive system is the perfect anaerobic environment for botulism.

Offline Holzster

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:34 AM »
My wife & I make out own window cleaner

In a spray bottle, the 30-40 oz size,  (in this order so you do not get suds) fill it up 90% - 95% with water, add a cap full of ammonia, and 3 drops of liquid dish soap.  shake & you are done.

This is the same as the big guys make except they add blue coloring also.

And if you use old newspaper on the windows they look better than if you used paper towels.

Hope this helps

Holzster

djturnz

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »
I was told by a guy with show cars that 1/2 vinigar and 1/2 water solution, applied with newspaper will make the glass look invisible.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
I was told by a guy with show cars that 1/2 vinigar and 1/2 water solution, applied with newspaper will make the glass look invisible.
It really does! I have used this for years. Although I have to say I got a little sick of the vinegar smell in the living room so I use biodegradable cleanser in there instead. If you want a laugh check out the organic glass and surface cleaner they sell at the big box hardware stores, it is that exact recipe except at $5 a liter.

I make my own toothpaste and dentifrice, body and foot powder, dry shampoo (for camping mostly) but have never attempted my own shampoo or body wash. I have made my own soap in the past but I am pretty sure I have forgotten the particulars.

Toothpaste Recipe:
3/4c Baking Soda
1/4c Non-Iodized Table Salt (I like to mill mine down a little to make smaller rock crystals but YMMV)
2.5tbsp Vegetable Glycerin (use 3 if needed, I like it a little gloppy)
10 drops Tea Tree EO
10 drops Thyme EO
20 drops Peppermint EO
Water as needed

Combine all dry ingredients in a glass bowl, combine all wet ingredients in a smaller bowl and slowly combine the wet into the dry, make sure the glycerin mixture is well incorporated before sprinkling water to moisten the batch into a paste. You can go through the trouble of refilling empty toothpaste tubes if you please but I just place it in a small glass jar with a secure lid right in the medicine cabinet. A batch will last you months and months since a little goes a long way. I have also added Stevia drops to some batches with some success but unless you get it cheap it is too costly to use in this recipe. When purchased in bulk this costs me about 35c a batch, which is just over a cup and right about what a large tube of toothpaste holds (8.5oz approx. for the batch to 8oz the average large commercial tube) although costs fluctuates with the essential oils (EO) you use. Also, if you like spicy toothpaste I do not recommend using cinnamon oil, use some clove oil and a touch of freshly grated nutmeg instead, the cinnamon will irritate your gums since you are literally brushing it in.

You can get creative with the flavoring so long as it is safe for human consumption. Lavender and chamomile, wintergreen and spearmint, ginger and lime, the possibilities are endless! Never apply or ingest EOs directly unless you know what you are doing. Oh and be sure to check OraMedia on Dental Self-Care and Sufficiency, that is where I got started.

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
Here's a scary one:

Toilet paper.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
Here's a scary one:

Toilet paper.

Thats easy- The Cat.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »
Thats easy- The Cat.
Brilliant Baily! The TP will clean itself!

I knew I kept feeding my cat and taught to to come when called for a reason...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »
Thats easy- The Cat.
I don't want to get anything with claws that nasty near my derriere. Especially after the first wipe, the cat might have a different opinion about it.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
tin foil crumpled up into a ball makes a good pot scraper, though If you want to save the foil you can use sand (if you can find some) . 

as far as soap goes, Ive been told lye is fairly simply to accumulate. 

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
I don't want to get anything with claws that nasty near my derriere. Especially after the first wipe, the cat might have a different opinion about it.

LMAO no pun intended

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »
LMAO no pun intended

Plus can you imagine folding that thing in half for wipe number 2?