Author Topic: sock knitting  (Read 2750 times)

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
sock knitting
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
On the subject of sock knitting, that's one thing I haven't mastered.  To tell the truth, I'm a bit intimidated.  I knit in the round with two circs.  I have size 1 and 2 circs (well up to 16, I think).  Any advice on a pattern to start?  I love wool socks and spend a fortune for them.  I'll be happy to share pointers on top down in the round sweaters.

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
Re: sock knitting
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
You've just gotta jump right in, Ms. Emma!

If you're already knitting in the round, there are only three other "difficult" parts to making a sock - and two of them are actually not hard at all:

1) Turning the heel (not that hard!).  Once you get to the heel, you have to work short rows to form the little "cup" for your heel.  The pattern instructions always tell you exactly what to do - you can't over think it, just turn the work when the pattern says :)

2) Knitting the instep.  I actually find this to be the trickiest part because I don't like picking up stitches.  That said, I'm not too much of a perfectionist - I just do my best, and it's always turned out fine so far.

3) Closing the toe up (if you are doing a top-down sock.  I can never remember how to do kitchener stitch, and I have to pull it up on Youtube every time I want to finish a toe :)

I like Silver's Sock Class for a first sock: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/.  I use Double Points, but she explains a two-circ method too :) I made a pair of little tiny socks first (the ones my monkey is wearing in my avatar).

Something else I learned the hard way: don't cast on too tightly if you're doing a top-down sock! I usually cast on over two needles held together to keep that edge REALLY nice and loose - otherwise, it feels binding around the calf.

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:44:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  Socks are next on my list.  I am doing another sweater first.  I just taught myself long-tail cast-on.  Is that stretchy enough for a sock?  Uhnfortunately, I cast-on and bind-off tightly.  Two needles may help that.

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »
My very first knitting project I completed I did with those great big (size 13?) double pointed knitting needles and some huge lion brand yarn, the Wool Ease Thick-n-Quick, I think.  There is a pattern for them on the Lionbrandyarn site.  It's kind of like working with those great big fat pencils they gave you to write with in preschool back when I was a cub.

Those socks are so funny, they come to my knees and look like boots.

I found the link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-socks.html?noImages=
You'll have to sign up to see it, I think.  They have some great patterns.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:42:28 PM by Coldfishgirl »

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:54 AM »
I will have to check those out.  Thanks.

Offline Granny Miller

• Prepper
    • Granny Miller - Smallholder's Daily - Granny Miller's  Homestead, Garden & Pantry & American Home Canning
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
Here's some sock heresy & tips from an old knitting die hard  :)

First when you cast on - cast on over two double point needles. Makes for a nice stretchy edge.
Make two socks at once. Do yourself a favor & get 2 sets of needles.

Everybody knows that using 4 or 5 double point needles are standard for knitting socks.
But what I use is also 12" circular needle (only for normal adults -  not small adults or children) for most of the sock. I use the circular needles to make the cuff - really makes ribbing, cables or lace a breeze and go super fast.  Especially in fine gauge yarns.

The socks in the above photo are knit on #2 circular,#2 double point for gusset, #1 for heel flap, turning the heel & toes.

When I get to the heel flap I put the heel stitches onto a double point needle 1 size smaller and work the heel flap & turn the heel.

I then pick up the gusset with the large size double point and work the instep with 4 double point needles.

When I have the same number of stitches that I started with I then return to my 12" circular for the foot section. I place markers on the stitches that would have been the last stitches on my double points.

I knit happily until I get to the toe and then change back to the smaller double points to work the toe section. I finish the sock by weaving the stitches a la Kitchener Stitch.