Author Topic: SHELVING FOR CANNED GOODS STORAGE  (Read 14221 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
SHELVING FOR CANNED GOODS STORAGE
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
Hello fellow survivalists and preppers. Being a new poster to the forum, I wanted my first post to be something useful to a good number of the folks who will read it.
After thinking it over, I was at a loss. I decided to do a bit of reading and catching up on some things I had been putting off.

Inspiration !
I did a post on another board recently, that some of you may or may not visit. Does not matter.
I read something a short time back, that reminded me of something else. This is usually how it works.
Anyway, I read a post on a forum that was done by the guy that started the forum. It was about a set of shelves that he built for his family food storage, that allows canned goods to be placed into it and automaticly does the job of stock rotation or FIFO (first in-first out).
Most folks have a standard set of shelves, and do this by placing the new cans back behind the old, and dragging everything forward as it is used.

Enter the automatic feed shelves or racks !
These shelves or racks are designed so that the cans are laid on their sides and roll on an incline to keep feeding their contents as the cans in front are removed, until they are all removed or in the case of storage, removed one at a time allowing the FIFO system to work automaticly. In other words. pull your cans out the dispenser from the one end, and add the new to the other, there by doing an automatic rotation of your stock for you.

These few sites that I have found show commercial as well as D.I.Y. units to allow for the best use of the information on this subject for everyone that reads it.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/fifo-storage-can-rack.do

http://www.canracks.com/

http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/storage_shelves?gclid=CM6d1InTx5YCFSCysgodNS7UyA

http://www.ehow.com/how_2202439_rotating-food-storage-canned-goods.html

These should give everyone a good place to start if they plan to do something like this for their own storage. Hope you all enjoy this one, and I hope to do a good number of posts for everyone as time goes by.
To use a quote from a movie line by John Wayne......." The Lord willing and the creek don't rise".

millerized1

Re: SHELVING FOR CANNED GOODS STORAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
These should give everyone a good place to start if they plan to do something like this for their own storage. Hope you all enjoy this one, and I hope to do a good number of posts for everyone as time goes by.

Excellent information, thanks for the links
To use a quote from a movie line by John Wayne......." The Lord willing and the creek don't rise".
FWIW, the original quote was done by Benjamin Hawkins, somewhere around 1812. I use it in the "river don't rise, we'll be OK" way, but that's not the intended meaning.  It was about the Creek Indians. More information here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lord_willing_and_the_creek_don't_rise

( I love word and phrase origins :) )

Online Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
Heres another simple design scroll down to Friday, October 17 http://vikingpreparedness.blogspot.com/

Ya know, the more I think about it the madder I get.  Our motto, what we believed down in our heart, went something like this "ye though I walk through the Valley of Death we will fear no evil...for we are the baddest mother strawberry pickers in the Valley".

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
I have actually been in the market for one of these, but I never knew where to buy them. +1 Thanks for the info!  ;D

Now to find a place to put it....  ???

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
Glad I could help guys. ;D
By the way.......Millerized, thanks for the info on the quote. As a kid in school, I didn,t appreciate history all that much, but now as an adult, I love all the little facts and stories of the worlds history as well as our own countrys.

And.......Rocknrandy, your link to the Viking preparedness site is the one I didn't mention. Sorry for that. Joe runs a good site, as well as his blog site. He has a lot of good folks that post there. As a matter of fact, we both share a common intrest...John Wayne movies.  ;D

Before I go, Millerized...I just wanted to thank you and all the others on the forums that have served and are serving our country's military. God bless you all.       DIM TIM

millerized1

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
It's rare to hear "Thank You", but you want to make a vets day.......tell him that.
Had it not been for seeing Jack's first, I'd have never put mine up.

You are quite welcome. America is why I did it, Americans are why it was worth it.

Bighorn

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
I ordered the plans from canracks.com looks like they will do great for cans. I have searched the net, far and wide for ideas about shelving for glass jars and do not see anything interesting.

Tony

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:57:36 PM »
Heres another simple design scroll down to Friday, October 17 http://vikingpreparedness.blogspot.com/

Someone on AR15.com make something like this, but covered it up with a peg board to hold hand tools for extra storage.

Either way I would love to have the space to build one!
Quality Durable Affordable www.WhiteDogHolsters.com
Or join us on Facebook

The first requisite of a good citizen in this Republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
- Theodore Roosevelt.

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:03:26 AM »

Someone on AR15.com make something like this, but covered it up with a peg board to hold hand tools for extra storage.

Either way I would love to have the space to build one!

That is AWESOME... My wife has an 8ft bench in the basement that she uses for crafts, wrapping presents, and I use it for packaging parts, that I have machined, in order to ship them to my out of state customers. Behind the bench is a full sheet, 4 x 8, of peg board. Very soon that sheet of pegboard will be getting moved out just enough fit some cans behind it.

Here's a pic:

I'll post a pic once this project is completed. It may be a while though. I'm completely swamped with work from our home business and we are spending 2 weeks in Texas for Thanksgiving, visiting my wife's family.

Good Christmas vacation project though....

The wheels are turning here... I have some metal wall cabinets on the other side of my basement, that could be very easily be moved out a few inches to make some more can storage....   Hhhhhhmmmmmmm
Awesome Idea Once Again.....
Tim...

Nothing Is Easy, Nothing Good Is Free...

Kara

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
Dirt Rider,

What you just posted has given me a good idea to have my can holder and save space in my basement. Since my house is only 800 Sq ft, I am constantly looking for innovative ways to store things. Your comment about pulling out the pegboard to make room for cans behind it got me to thinking that I might be able to use the space between the studs in my unfinished basement pantry. this would also help conceal some of my pantry supplies so they aren't out for all to see. Hmmm...

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »
Look at the ideas and inspirations being shared here.

What a great community we have here.    :D  :D  :D

Thanks for getting it all started Jack !!!!!
Tim...

Nothing Is Easy, Nothing Good Is Free...

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »
Dirt Rider,

What you just posted has given me a good idea to have my can holder and save space in my basement. Since my house is only 800 Sq ft, I am constantly looking for innovative ways to store things. Your comment about pulling out the pegboard to make room for cans behind it got me to thinking that I might be able to use the space between the studs in my unfinished basement pantry. this would also help conceal some of my pantry supplies so they aren't out for all to see. Hmmm...

Great idea Wintersparrow! +1
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:48:57 PM by Sister Wolf »

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
I was doing my weekly look-see through the FoodStorageMadeEasy cluster of websites and came across an engineer designed cardboard can rack. I thought you guys could make use of it. Here you go:
Man, despite his artistic pretension, his sophistication, and many accomplishments, owes the fact of his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil -- and the fact that it rains. -- Anonymous

Offline Casedog

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 12:04:58 AM »
I found a different set of instructions on wikihow.  Looks like a good setup. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Rotating-Canned-Food-Shelf

Kara

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29:06 AM »
Casedog, this rocks!  +1 ;D

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:52 PM »
Target has industrial style shelving for 34 odd bucks. Thats less than half the cost of Value Home stores equivalent product.They won't hold multiple heavy bags of rice but for canned and bottled goods they hold up fine.

survivalprepdotnet

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »
A FIFO rack like the one at top wouldn't be practical for me since I've got few canned goods per se--most of my food preps are dehydrated in mason jars that I've labeled with the contents and date and I rotate them manually:

(I've got about 30 quarts of various spices at the moment. I need more.)

In lieu of a FIFO rack, do any of you know anywhere to get inexpensive grocery-style shelves?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:41:49 AM by survivalprepdotnet »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
In lieu of a FIFO rack, do any of you know anywhere to get inexpensive grocery-style shelves?

I don't but I like the idea.  A grocery store going out of business?  it happens, occasionally
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

jakematic

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
Not grocery shelves, but that gave me an idea.

Looked at ACityDiscount's website for shelving and found some really good deals. http://www.acitydiscount.com/Shelving.1.1001047.2.1.htm

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
I bought a scratch and dent unit from Shelf Reliance.  With the MSB membership discount it came out to be under $300 with shipping.

Offline Diablo

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »
can rack

This is a nice design. It's stackable, so it would be a easier to move (location to location / if needed) than a larger all in one unit.

Offline Vandido

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
A FIFO rack like the one at top wouldn't be practical for me since I've got few canned goods per se--most of my food preps are dehydrated in mason jars that I've labeled with the contents and date and I rotate them manually:

(I've got about 30 quarts of various spices at the moment. I need more.)

Yeah im not so much into the rotating style rack.  Im looking for more a traditional DIY wodden kind.  Ive seen a few, but i wanted to know if you guys some ideas or plans as to a DIY shelf.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
can rack

This is a nice design. It's stackable, so it would be a easier to move (location to location / if needed) than a larger all in one unit.

I have been rather busy with a number of things around the home and at work, and I have not had a chance to do any reading and posting for a while. I decided to go back and look at some old posts, and when I got here, I was glad I did. Diablo, I like your post.
The fact that this one would be easy to move if needed, makes it one of the best that I have seen yet. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:16:53 PM by DIM TIM »

Offline gg61501

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
WONDERFUL ideas! 

Check these out:   http://www.thecanorganizer.com/
T
hese will be our first foray into rotational storage...We don't have the space for the big commercial racks (nor the funds right now)...and these look fairly heavy-duty for cardboard.

I've been a long-time listener to the podcast and occassional browser of the forums.  Hope this helps!  :)

Randy
"Sensitivity -- armed with sense and liberty...."

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:40 AM »
How do these compare with the units offered by ShelfReliance?
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline gg61501

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
Not sure -- I have seen the ones from Shelf Reliance.  They are almost 4x the price. for a setup to hold 54-60 cans.

I'll be ordering the Can Organizers on Friday.  I'll post my opinions here is folks are interested.  :)
"Sensitivity -- armed with sense and liberty...."

Offline leprachuan45

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
I just took advantage of the extra 20% on the cansolidator and ordered two. I can't wait to get them and use them.
Rule 1:
If everybody agrees with you, you're probably wrong.
Therefore: if everybody says you're an idiot, you're probably a genius.
Rule 2:
People always say the opposite of what they think.
Therefore: if they openly agree with you, they probably think you're an idiot. And that means you're a genius.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
I have several of the Shelf Reliance units. If you buy them on sale you can get a little better deal. I love them, no muss, no fuss, fully adjustable, they take up only a little space etc.....

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »
WONDERFUL ideas! 

Check these out:   http://www.thecanorganizer.com/
T
hese will be our first foray into rotational storage...We don't have the space for the big commercial racks (nor the funds right now)...and these look fairly heavy-duty for cardboard.

I've been a long-time listener to the podcast and occassional browser of the forums.  Hope this helps!  :)

Randy
My problem with the card board models is that in the event that you have a can split and leak - then the whole box has to be tossed.  A metal rack or even wood could be cleaned and reused.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."