Author Topic: Tried Jack's Squirrel trick  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Tried Jack's Squirrel trick
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
Today I had the chance to try out a trick Jack mentioned in episode 257.  He talked about mimicking the sound of a squirrel eating using 2 quarters.  I tried this using one quarter and dime.  (post '64 coins)  I came upon a fox squirrel on an oak just 6 feet in front of me this afternoon.  It had an acorn in his mouth.  Then he saw me, freaked out, and ran up the opposite side of the tree.  I looked and listened to see if he went all the way up.  He didn't seem to.  I pulled out the coins and started rubbing them together with my thumb and index finger.  After a minute or so of rubbing, I saw a head peek around the side of the tree.  Then more his body.  Finally he came completely around to my side of the tree.  He studied me for a moment as I continued to rub the coins.  Then he jumped to the ground and began eating the acorns he had in his mouth.

I rubbed the coins for a few more seconds, sure that he was comfortable that I was 6 feet from him.  Then I decided to be on my way.  As soon as I moved he took off towards some brush in the opposite direction.  I was pretty excited and pretty sure Jack's trick worked.  If I had my .22 I would have eaten squirrel tonight for dinner! 

I will be sharing this trick with the children who come to the Outdoor Ed. center I work at.  I think they will find it pretty cool!  Thanks for sharing Jack!

Vinny T. Firefly

Re: Tried Jack's Squirrel trick
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »
I have got to try that!

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:42:24 AM »
This trick definitely works. Growing up I knew  lots of hunters in PA and NY that used it regularly. I was never big on squirrel hunting, but I have used it to attract squirrels for fun/observation.

Pat

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
It is so simple and here is how I know how valuable it was for men who needed meat to feed a family.  My grandfather (called him Pop Pop as a kid) told me he used two quarters doing this "before he went away to fight the war".

As a kid I thought, my Pop Pop is cool he can hunt squirrels and he fought the war.  As an adult I have a new understanding, the war was of course WW2 and if he used two quarters BEFORE the war that means he was holding on to fifty cents in the great depression just so he could shoot squirrels.  Now today fifty cents ain't much but in the depression fifty cents was a lot.

As we age we gain a perspective that teaches us new things from old knowledge if we only will pause to remember.  Simply put those two quarters were a lot more expensive in 1935 then a squirrel call at Walmart today, and they work a hell of a lot better.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »
100% agreement