Author Topic: was buzzed by bats ..  (Read 6149 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
was buzzed by bats ..
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »
I sometimes take walks at night down the railroad tracks near my condo. I was out last night around 1:00 AM. I was going to pick up a stick as I like to fool with sticks, twirling and so on. I am not at the level of weapons training, but know a bunch of kung fu and have sort of ideas on stick methods. The ideal stick is maybe 7 feet long and is light but strong enough not to break easily on impact. I could not find one so I let it go. Sometimes I have seen people camped out in a grove of trees out there, so having a stick late at night might make you feel safer.

Anyway, maybe 1/3 of a mile down the tracks 4 bats started buzzing around my head fairly close. I started moving my arms like you would if you where doing the crawl stroke so one arm is always coming up above your head. When the bats retreated I slowed the movements down but would keep twisting and turning so as to keep my eyes scanning in front and behind. I then found a stick that was about 2.5 feet long and a bit thick, not ideal. I started moving that in various circular motions above my head. The bats where still buzzing me but not as much of the original intensity of the first encounter. I wanted to get some exercise and did not want to have these bats ruin my night time stroll. I figured when I got to where some woods started I could find the more ideal stick. I was crossing a large farm field and could see the sky pretty good to see the bats so the moon must have been out someplace behind the clouds. When I got near the woods and some power lines I started to hear owls and I could see 2 large owls up in a big power line tower. Suddenly the bats started to buzz me with greater intensity maybe almost a mile out. I could not see them as well because there where more trees that made it darker. I was forced to retreat and head back towards my condo. At one point I was actually running for about 50 yards and a bat was chasing me and buzzing around my head. I was swinging the stick around my head as I ran. As I got farther away from there the attacks continued but they calmed down a bit. I would sort of jog backwards so as to see them as I retreated. I would kneel down close to the ground to catch my breath and be able to spot them easier as they approached from that position. I was also throwing rocks at them.

It has been near drought up here and not alot of bugs, maybe that has something to do with it or that this friday is the 13th :)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: was buzzed by bats ..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:28 AM »
Do you have a "big hair" style hair-doo?  One of the nature centers around here told us that "big hair" has the same sonar return as a swarm of bugs.

Bats are incredibly nimble and have amazing reaction. What is "buzzing" you is "a comfortable margin" for them. They might have been trying to get your hair, what they think is bugs, especially if food is scarce.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
I missed something, was this a weird dream you had?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
it was weird, but it was all true ..

There was a drought so there maybe was a shortage of bugs

nothing like that has ever happened before .. other strange stuff has happened but not involving bats ..

Once I was fishing in Alaska and I prayed to catch a fish, I said "lord please help me to catch a fish", right after that an old spawned out salmon surfaced in the middle of the river, probably it was a dying dog salmon or something (not sure) .. it slowly swam right towards me with it's snout sticking out of the water the whole time, then it went down and swam between my legs and just sat there at my feet basically .. I was standing in a few feet of water .. I guess I should have said asked for a coho salmon and not just a fish as it was one of those times where you got what you asked for but not what you really wanted, except I did take it as a sign, but that's personal here perhaps .. Once I told the story to someone and he seemed to think maybe I was weird for telling it, but it was true ..

I don't fish much anymore, but between when I was a teenager up to about 34 years old, fishing was my main hobby .. after that surfing became my main hobby ..

Another time I was surfing at Point Judith Rhode Island and stayed at fisherman's state park nearby. In the campground there is an old underground bunker from the world wars. There may have been German prisoners housed there. A German U boat had been sunk off the coast. The entrance of the bunker was all blocked off with a big pile of rocks and logs, but I managed to find a way in and went and got my girlfriend and a flashlight. It's all dark in there mostly as there are only a few windows. We walked down this hall way and heard a weird voice saying something like "what are you doing here ?", it was a very strange voice, she ran out of the place immediately. I went through all the rooms, but there was no one in there. I saw alot of weird satanic graffiti and poetry on the walls. For a few days, we both had a bad feeling in our heads from having been in there ..

Back in the days when I used to go on the new england surfers group forums on the internet and when that was a happening forum in those days, other people told us that they thought that that place is haunted from there experiences, some of their stories seemed maybe a bit stranger and possibly hard to believe ..

As far as dreams and martial arts, I did have a vivid dream once of what seemed to be that I was flying through the air with a tai chi type gim sword and fighting what seemed to be demons on a full moon type night while herds of lions, tigers and other animals where roaming roads and paths below. (lions and tigers are not really herd type animals but in a dream things are different often). I often find that if I practice kriya yoga as prescribed be parmahansa yogananda, including various prayers and so on it seems to often cause more dreams of various sorts. Some of the details of kriya yoga are not to be divulged in accordance with tradition .. I had had some other odd experiences doing kabbalistic meditations including what was sort of felt a bit like out of body ..

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:09:15 PM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
 It happened again last night, but this time it was an owl.

Last night was my 49th birthday and afterwords I was over a friend of mine's, a girl I date. She let me sleep on the couch as I often do. After falling asleep while listening to my IPod as usual, I awoke around 3:30 AM and went out for a walk. This is typical for me as I often have insomnia of some kind, but I enjoy late night walks when the busy streets are quiet, though sometimes the police want to know what I am doing out in the middle of the night. We just started getting some warmer weather and alot of the snow has melted so I am back out on my walks, though last night it was about 40 degrees or maybe a little colder.

I was walking down a street that was pretty dark, only an occasional street light. I was listening to Paul Wheaton on two beers with Steve podcast on my IPod, he was talking about how he was a software engineer in the past (I am a software engineer), then I thought I saw a dark object, at first I thought it was my imagination, but I saw it again, it was an owl that flew just a few feet above my head and then it landed in a tree branch several feet over the road. I shined my petzl head lamp on him and looked at him for a bit and  then continued walking, feeling a little puzzled. Then he flew out again and hovered maybe 3.5 feet over my head for a few seconds and then flew into another branch. I put my arms above my head in a defensive posture similar to kung fu stuff I had learned. This happened at least 3 or 4 times. He kept following me down the road and buzzing me. Around the last time I stood there and shined the light right at him. He was on the telephone wire. I said to him "are you trying to mess with me Mr owl ?". When I shinned the light right at him for a prolonged period, he would look away, but as soon as I shinned the light away, he would look back at me. Finally he left me alone, but I ended up shutting off my IPod and walking backwards for more than 1/4 mile and scanning the air for signs of his return and feeling sort of uneasy and weird ..

He was a medium sized owl, maybe standing a couple of feet or 18 inches ..

he looked a little like this, not one of those kinds with big ears:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:30:19 AM by surfivor »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
First, Happy Birthday.

Interesting stories.  Sounds like you have some sort of connection to the animals around you.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
The owl probably wanted the bat that was sitting on your head.

;)

Seriously: is it owl nesting season?  Maybe it was trying to chase you away from its nest.

(Happy Birthday!)

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
 As a kid, we used to toss foil balls in the air and watch the bats dive at them. Maybe the bat incident can be explained by the tin foil hat on your head?   :D  :D  :D  Just messin' with ya Surfivor  :D Happy Birthday

(sorry, couldn't resist lol)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
 Thanks everyone .. I did have a good birthday, we went out for Indian food. I have often wondered how it is that Indian Paneer cheese can be fried in a pan and not melt.

I sort of wondered if should have hung around longer and tried to figure out what the owl was up to. If the police drove by or people saw me out in the street at that hour, I'm not sure how it would have went. A car did drive by, it turned out it wasn't the police, but I was there walking backwards and looking up in a tree as the car drove by. I imagined myself explaining to the cops that an owl was flying around my head and that's why I was there to study the owl ..

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »
I think that Owl was a FED.

;D

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:39 AM »
I think that Owl was a FED.

yea, that is funny  :)

one can sort of follow a strange thread of thoughts on that kind of thing ..

A couple of Christmas's ago, I took my snowboard out to my sister's in Idaho. We where at a ski area and stopped for a rest going down the mountain at grand targee ski area.  My sister noticed that my snowboard had what looked alot like the logo for the United Nations on it.

The UN logo is like this:

To be honest, I was never really aware until then what the UN logo was at all. What appears on my snowboard I think is very similar, but there are no continents, the circles in the middle with the crossing lines I think is very similar if I recall correctly. I never really paid much attention to it. Anyway, as we sat there in the snow, I said to her and my brother in law something like: "the global elite and rules of this world such as the skull and bones society (the American branch of the Illuminati) are obsessed with the occult sciences and with their own form of witchcraft as it where. If you study their meetings and symbols, this is easy to see. We see that Geronimo was a great warrior, and Prescott Bush dug up his bones to house them at their dungeon at Yale .. Through their occult practices, they try to unleash darkness upon the world by creating an invisible ripple in the ether. Witness here this UN logo that appears on my snowboard .. but I tell you the truth dear ones, the warrior who follows the path of spirit is unaffected by these omens and he will come into the light .. "

Here is the giant owl that is used at Bohemian grove where mock human sacrifices are done. The owl here is related the ancient paga god molech associated with human sacrifice:

UN logo with owl:

TICTU - Telecommunications Intercept and Collection Technology Unit (FBI)
notice logo similar to UN logo

Owl symbol of the Bohemian Grove. Indicates the worship of the Canaanite fire god Molech

Theft of Geronimo's bones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo#Alleged_theft_of_skull

Six members of the Yale secret society of Skull and Bones, including Prescott Bush, served as Army volunteers at Fort Sill during World War I. It has been claimed by various parties that they stole Geronimo's skull, some bones, and other items, including Geronimo's prized silver bridle, from the Apache Indian Prisoner of War Cemetery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Alexandra Robbins says this is one of the more plausible items said to be in the organization's Tomb.[16]

In 1986, former San Carlos Apache Chairman Ned Anderson received an anonymous letter with a photograph and a copy of a log book claiming that Skull & Bones held the skull. He met with Skull & Bones officials about the rumor; the group's attorney, Endicott P. Davidson, denied that the group held the skull, and said that the 1918 ledger saying otherwise was a hoax.[17] The group offered Anderson a glass case containing what appeared to be the skull of a child, but Anderson refused it.[18] In 2006, Marc Wortman discovered a 1918 letter from Skull & Bones member Winter Mead to F. Trubee Davison that claimed the theft:[19]

The skull of the worthy Geronimo the Terrible, exhumed from its tomb at Fort Sill by your club... is now safe inside the tomb and bone together with his well worn femurs, bit and saddle horn.[19]

The second "tomb" references is the building of Yale University's Skull and Bones society

in order to counteract that and end post on a positive note, we post this:

Geronimo on right:

I have an audio book on his life on my IPod. I recall he said in battle and warfare he always sought the counsel of the great spirit. His military prowess and uncanny ability to evade the Calvary was legendary. I recall reading
that many tens of thousands of soldiers where sent to capture Geronimo and his small band of warriors, but they never where able to succeed. He also would cross into Mexico and many thousands of Mexican soldiers also pursued him to no avail. Eventually they had to offer him generous terms of peace in order to get him to come in I think it was.

Later he became a christian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo#Religion

Later in life, Geronimo embraced Christianity, and stated, "Since my life as a prisoner has begun I have heard the teachings of the white man's religion, and in many respects believe it to be better than the religion of my fathers ... Believing that in a wise way it is good to go to church, and that associating with Christians would improve my character, I have adopted the Christian religion. I believe that the church has helped me much during the short time I have been a member. I am not ashamed to be a Christian, and I am glad to know that the President of the United States is a Christian, for without the help of the Almighty I do not think he could rightly judge in ruling so many people. I have advised all of my people who are not Christians, to study that religion, because it seems to me the best religion in enabling one to live right."[14] He joined the Dutch Reformed Church in 1903 but four years later was expelled for gambling.[14] To the end of his life, he seemed to harbor ambivalent religious feelings, telling the Christian missionaries at a summer camp meeting in 1908 that he wanted to start over, while at the same time telling his tribesmen that he held to the old Apache religion.[15]

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:57:24 AM by surfivor »