Author Topic: where can i find a cheap heavy bag?  (Read 7947 times)

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
where can i find a cheap heavy bag?
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »
I've been getting angrier the closer I get to my wedding date. I'm so frustrated because I've got Lot of weight on my shoulders. I'm angry at my fiance a lot. She does 1/3 of the work i do and has to complain every inch of the way. When we get short on money its Kenser to the rescue. I barely sleep my diet is garbage and if I have to hear about how her sister allegedly got pregnant on purpose to sabotage our wedding one more time I'm going to go bonkers. Anyhow you can see I'm a bit stressed. For some reason I've always had an aggressive personality I really do mean well, but I hate the whining and self pity and selfishness of people. I can't stand the able bodied people cry to the masses that they need help when they just need to go out and start somewhere and accomplish something and grab life by the horns. Or Maybe its just cabin fever from all this PA snow, I don't know. I typically do a lot of hiking I feel more at ease in the woods especially near water. I can't exactly do any meaningful hikes right now.

I took American Freestyle Karate for about 6 months and loved it. I was losing weight, my bp went down, I was learning to defend myself, and I had almost 0 stress.  I ran out of money and had to take another job. Which took away my time to really go to class 3 days a week. I think if I could just slap a bag around I may be able to get back into that mindset. So anyhow that's for reading my rant. Uhh... I really came here to ask if anyone knew where I could find a standing heavy bag? Punching bag Bob was even a fun alternative. My problem is I'm around 240 lbs and Bob just doesn't do it for me to hit him. I'm not much of a kicker I have a bad dominate side knee that I always pull at practice. However I'm very heavy handed and I need something that will put up with a lot of abuse.

I don't want anyone to think I mistreate my fiance. I normally just walk away and do it myself when I get tired or waiting or seeing something piling up. She has been better at helping me out lately and I always always go way out of my way to thank her for it. She's everything to me.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: where can i find a cheap heavy bag?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
Craig's List or E-bay (filter to local area) or even the local news paper.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »
Kenser.

First, it is good that you have identified yourself with this type of personality. That way you can take the nessecary steps to aviod conflict in your life.  A wedding can be a very stressful tiime for a young couple just starting off.  But remember - YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED BECAUSE YOU HAVE FOUD SOMEONE YOU LOVE TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH.  It's not a contest, its not a reason to throw a get in big debt party.

Take time out of your day to remember all the reasons that your are getting married, and try to work threw the stressfull stuff.  I do get worried when someone posts thoughts of violence on our forum.  I understand that your fiancee means the world to you but there is a lot of aggresion in your post. Perhaps you should speak with a professional about the issue.

We all have moments of extreme stress where we just need to vent, but reread your post one more time, it sounds on the edge, and it made me concerned.

As far as cheap exercise equipment check the local paper.  Excercise equipment including heavy bags, are something that thousands of people buy and rarely use.  You can almost always get one cheap and almost new.

Good luck to you and congrates on the upcoming wedding.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
Sorry to concern everyone. I was really just venting. Like I pointed out she's been helping me more lately and things are getting better. On the personal level I think I need to get my bp down along with my weight. Martial arts was my way of venting a few months ago. I only got out of line once in class and I got kicked in the mouth for it. Lol I never did that again. It didn't hurt, but their was a good amount of blood and I basically got standing ko'd. Anyhow I'm my original post I pointed out that I'm not physically aggressive. I said that I walk away and do it myself. Also martial arts is a huge investment, but I want to do corporate body guard work eventually. Besides the other reasons lose weight for the wedding, lower my bp, curb my aggression, and train for a future career. I apologize if I upset anyone.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:20 PM »
Actually the more I think about it this may be better suited for the Airing Of Grievances thread.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
Having an aggressive personality type is a really, really tough thing to deal with.  I know this from personal experience.  In fact, I was pointed to this thread by a moderator who thought I might be able to offer something useful, since I'm much the same way.

Thank you for feeling comfortable enough here, that you could come vent about your frustrations.  

This is going to sound silly if you haven't played with it yet, but seriously consider getting a Wii if you can possibly spare the money.  There are games for the Wii that require a good deal of kicking, punching, moving, and exhausting yourself physically.  If you're able to hide in a room and physically & mentally exhaust yourself with an awesome physical Wii game, it will allow you to work out how best to deal with your frustration, and allow you to come back to her on a MUCH more reasonable level.

Remember that she is stressing to the max right now.  To her, it all needs to be perfect.  That's her way of telling & showing you how much she cherishes you, and how much she wants you and everybody else who attends to be awed by your love for one another.  That info won't help your stress level go down, but it might help you put a little red flag in the back of your mind warning you not to go too far with your frustration.  It might *seem* like she's doing a third the work you're doing, but maybe in her mind she's planning every single detail of the wedding and you're not helping at all.  Neither is true, probably.  But it can sure feel lonely when you're frustrated and need somebody to just understand and appreciate everything you're doing.

Regardless, something tells me that you're marrying her for a reason.  She's a good woman, yes?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:54:17 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the concern everyone. Sis hope you don't mind me messaging you personally, but this isn't something I want everyone reading.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
Thanks for the concern everyone. Sis hope you don't mind me messaging you personally, but this isn't something I want everyone reading.

I don't see a message, Kenser. 

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Lol, sorry thought I would get it sent quicker and then I started typing the blame game in and I don't want a negative picture of my fiance painted. So I rewrote it three times in an attempt to save face. I ultimately failed, but I tried in honesty to write in both sides of the story.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
Lol, sorry thought I would get it sent quicker and then I started typing the blame game in and I don't want a negative picture of my fiance painted. So I rewrote it three times in an attempt to save face. I ultimately failed, but I tried in honesty to write in both sides of the story.

You did absolutely fine, darlin'.  You have nothing to worry about.  She has lost no respect in my eyes at all.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
Hrm, Dunno if you messaged back or not but im not seeing anything in my in or outboxes.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
Hrm, Dunno if you messaged back or not but im not seeing anything in my in or outboxes.

I haven't yet.  I'm giving what you said a chance to soak in.  I know that you're struggling right now in a lot of ways, and I want to take my time with our conversation and be as "here" for you as you need me to be.  It might be until tomorrow before I fully get back to you.

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Good luck with the wedding and marriage. That's all I can say about that.

As far as a cheap punching bag goes I got mine on craigslist. It's only 40 pounds but I like it cause it moves alot and I think it's good for accuracy, and friend gave me a 80 pounder but it's old and didn't last.

Maybe you know this. I did not. When getting a punching bag you will need:

A punching bag. I prefer my 40 pound.
A hanger and place to hang it
Gloves
A swivel ( I beat mine for months without a swivel. OMG what a difference ) I have seen them on ebay for $20. I think a good one from a hardware store works well.

Also I have seen the bag with stand and speed bag for $150 or so on craigslist.

If you get it on craigslist the more stuff with it, much better for you. But if you do makesure the bag isn't to old and/or stored outside.

I also tied my 40 to a drywall bucket half full of mud with a bunge cord and that works well. I'd kinda like 2 40's one on top of the other for kicking low. About a minute and a half on it and I'm winded like crazy.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
Well things have gotten better since I originally posted this. Sis did a great job helping me out on a personal level and I thank her for that. When I posted I didn't consider the fact that I am an apartment dweller and wouldn't be able to hang a bag to begin with. DOH! Anyhow, I plan on hitting the gym starting tommorrow night. We are getting married Oct. 8 and I look like hell. I would assume that my overall weight, blood pressure, and stress levels are attributes to my overall agression issues and their is only one way to fix that. Blood and Sweat! What I found I can do however is squat thrusts with a medicine ball. Throw it up in the air, catch it, set it down, squat thrust, pick it up, repeat. I think a medicine ball may be better for my situation. I remember doing sit ups with a medicine ball and partner when I was taking American Freestyle Karate 2 years ago. Man was that killer on my stomach I walked to the car leaning forward that night. Maybe a little running, an extra mile or two walking at work, and free weights when I get stuck at my other job in a guard box all night. Thanks for the suggestion I always forget about Craigslist. I'm going to have to add that to my favorites list.