Author Topic: Any Ideas On Saving Money On Internet, Cable TV Etc  (Read 3392 times)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Any Ideas On Saving Money On Internet, Cable TV Etc
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »
Question #1) I'm so sick of what I pay every month for cable internet... $60 plus taxes!, and I refuse to get dial up since My wife and I both need fast access for work at home. I've looked around but can't seem to find any deals that don't expire... does anyone know of anything like $20-$30 month for at least a DSL connection.

Question#2) Follows along the same lines, cable tv even the basic is $30 month for us and we don't watch much tv but we would still like it, I tried one of the over the air antenna's and we didn't pick up much with the digital and I returned the antenna. Any good options out there?

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Re: Any Ideas On Saving Money On Internet, Cable TV Etc
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
I would try on both cases calling your current provider and threatening to cancel or move elsewhere and ask them what they can do to make you stay. 9 times out of 10 they will lower your rates.  It may be temporary like 6 months or a year or not. If it is just call back and threaten to leave again. It worked for us   ;)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Heezy
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Yea I did that before but didn't know if I could get away with it again...lol guess it wouldn't hurt to try again, thanks glad to see someone has done that multiple of times!

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:51:13 PM »
Not sure about the cheaper dsl, but you could do Hulu to watch tv. You could eliminate tv bill altogether and go with the cheapest Internet provider. Get some rabbit ears for local channels.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »
The cable companies are required by law to offer a very basic service.  We pay $13 for about 20 channels which gives us the main networks and Discovery.  The trick is that they don't advertise this option and you have to ask for it.  We asked for the lowest package which was $40, then we asked twice more for something cheaper and they finally said, "we do have a package for $13, but it doesn't work for most people because it only has a few channels."

Keep asking and I am sure you can get something in the $15 range.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Heezy
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
Well I called Comcast last weekend and pretended I wanted my service canceled, it took about 20 mins but I finally convinced the lady I wasn't interested in anything. They then transferred me to the cancellation department to finalize everything and i was all pissed off...lol Then she offered me the same deal I was getting for about $47 a month, I told them they must have been over charging me then if I could get the same for less...lol I finally agreed and now I'm getting more than before for less. but it is only for 6 months then I will call again to cancel.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
we will be moving soon and are planning to investigate options that may be available at the new location that aren't available here... I'm wondering if anyone else has had good luck.

For example:

Some sort of high speed internet and one of the Magic Jack type phones instead of a land line... (if so, what type of internet service that isn't tied to a phone service?... cable?  satellite? other?)

I was seriously mad at our phone co. here recently... we have phone, long distance, satellite tv and dsl with them... i threatened to cancel the whole shooting match and they were suddenly very accommodating... cut our dsl bill in half for 6 months (to $12.50/mo). I have to say that our "high-speed" isn't very... at least out here. unfortunately, due to our location, phone co dsl is the only option except for satellite... no cable available.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
You can cxl the cable and catch most of you shows online.  You won't get the premium channels online but ABC, NBC, and other networks show thier programs online.  There is Hulu as well.  You can get you news from NPR on your radio still for free.  But if your not into NPR, you can get you news online as well. 

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
me and the fiance have cell phones and no home phone. we have basic cable, and we steal internet from our neighbors' wireless routers that aren't pw locked.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
As far at TV, can the cable and go off air - go to radio shack and buy their biggest antenna    and stick it on the roof!  Since we dropped cable, we watch basically no TV and I do not miss it at all! The crappy programming is not worth the electricity to run the TV never-mind the cable bill!  We go to the library and get videos for free - usually educational ones.  You can rent or buy a lot of videos for the $30 / month or more you spend on cable.

Another antenna Source:  http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=ANC3671&d=Channel-Master-CM-3671-Deepest-Fringe-Crossfire-Series-Antenna-%28CM3671%29&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=020572036719

For Internet, usually the phone company will offer basic DSL for 20-30 bucks - did you try that?  Little slower than cable, but with no TV you will have more time ;)

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »
we steal internet from our neighbors' wireless routers that aren't pw locked.

I'd be careful doing that, not because you are likely to get caught, but because it leaves you at risk for having passwords stolen. Not that your everday person would do this, but let's say you use the same password for our forums that you use for email or worse online banking. Now they can get your password and that is no bueno.  Low risk but high impact on a threat matrix. 

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
got my back covered.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:19 PM »
Well I called Comcast last weekend and pretended I wanted my service canceled, it took about 20 mins but I finally convinced the lady I wasn't interested in anything. They then transferred me to the cancellation department to finalize everything and i was all pissed off...lol Then she offered me the same deal I was getting for about $47 a month, I told them they must have been over charging me then if I could get the same for less...lol I finally agreed and now I'm getting more than before for less. but it is only for 6 months then I will call again to cancel.

Told you it would work.  You just have to jump through the hoops.  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:12:27 PM by Roswell »

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
we steal internet from our neighbors' wireless routers that aren't pw locked.

I'm not passing judgment here, this is just one man's opinion.  Bogging down your neighbor's bandwidth really isn't the right way to go.  Yeah, they're stupid for not securing their router, but if this was your mother's house and the neighbor was doing it to her, how would you feel about that?

A better route is take advantage of free WiFi from your local coffee shops., libraries, etc.  -and if you're close enough, build yourself a cantenna so you can do it from home.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

You don't need to steal.

Michael Masse

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »
I called Comcast some time back after getting a mailing from their competition. I hit them up for a rate reduction and they took 30 bucks of the monthly rate. .

Also we have the triple service package with cable, internet and phone.  We are saving a bunch by have unlimited phone calling to entire US.  Had Vonage for about a year.  It was a nightmare but Comcast has really been awesome.  Only downside is if the power goes out that takes the phone with it but we have cell service to cover that.