Author Topic: Suggestions for Pants for my wife for Backpacking trip?  (Read 2608 times)

Possenti2264

Suggestions for Pants for my wife for Backpacking trip?
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:18 AM »
My wife was invited to go backpacking in Colorado in a couple of weeks.  She's not as big a prepper as I, but we have quite a few conversations about skills for survival.

Anyways, she only owns fashion jeans, nothing that would withstand an hour in the woods without tearing.  What do you ladies wear when you venture out into the woods?  I'm a guy and I'd just use BDU pants from the surplus store, but I'm not so sure how the ladies fare in them.

Thanks in advance.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Suggestions for Pants for my wife for Backpacking trip?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »
Go to REI or Eastern Mountain Sports websites and look around. I recommend synthetic only so it will stay dry. She might like the convertible ones that turn into shorts. Shop online together, so she feels involved in the decision process.

My wife chose the REI brand convertible pants, as did I. We backpacked 7 days straight in Michigan's upper penninsula, and had 2 pair each. We used both pair only because we had them. You can get away using 1 pair for the whole trip. Just have something to cover up with if you decide to wash them somewhere (we did laundry in Lake Superior).

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
Yup, I agree.  You're gonna have to drop a hundred bucks or more, but REI is THE place for sturdy clothes.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
True story:

This is more of a "no sh!t, there we were" story than a "it was a dark and stormy night" story...

My buddy and I went camping on the shore of Lake Michigan in early April a few years back. It was cold and drizzling.

My clothing and gear was all top of the line (at the time) backpacking gear. No cotton. Nylon pants, a light Gore-Tex overjacket, and a polypropylene long-underwear top. My buddy was wearing jeans, a cotton T Shirt, and a cotton flannel. He laughed at me for spending the money I spent on my kit.

As were walking, the dune grass was brushing up against us as we made our way along the coast. The wind was blowing in at about 25 mph (yes, it was very windy, not uncommon here). I was merrily walking along, and the wind was drying me as all the dune grass, laden with water, was brushing up against me. My pants were bone dry, and I was unaware anything was amiss.

My buddy, on the other hand, had fallen behind, and threw down his pack to get close enough to me to yell to me (it was windy....)  I went back to see what was wrong. He was soaked to the bone, and was starting to get worried about his exposure. The act of backpacking prevented him from becoming hypothermic, but we had to immediately retreat behind one of the dunes to get out of the wind and allow him to change. (Into more cotton.)

We stayed behind the dunes for the rest of the trip, he got damp yet again, and we stopped early to light a fire and dry out his stuff. The trip was over.

The lesson I learned was the stark contrast in gear quality and how it affected the trip. This was a guy, with a rather high discomfort threshold. He was done, in a situation where I was plodding along happily. It was the GEAR that made the difference here.

So, if you want your wife to join you again, regardless of the terrain or conditions on your upcoming trip, invest in decent gear. Skimping on quality will help ensure she never sets foor into a hiking boot again.    ;D

Don

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:32 AM »
I also raise my voice in favor of REI goods. I will add though that the gear I have picked up on ExOfficio remains the most awesome clothing i have ever purchased. I highly recommend the undies for women, something that many people do not consider until about three to four hours into the trail.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
Nothing at all wrong with BDUs.  I've worn them, and I like them.  However, I do agree that ExOfficio is high quality gear, and I use them ALL the time for hiking and river sports.  To backpack, I usually do ExOfficio or Gramicci shorts with Capilene or polypro tights.  If it's cool weather, the tights with wind pants on top are good.  Downsides to the synthetics are (a) they're noisy, and (b) they melt...badness for your skin if you have a stray ember from the fire, or something similar.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
Not jeans! My fiance wore jeans on a backpacking trip we took.

The seams at the waist are quite abrasive if there is pressure on them, say from the hip belt of a frame pack. She had deep bruising and lacerations on her hips for two weeks after. The denim actually bonded with her skin under the pressure.

I also would recommend being brutal with what you bring. Remove everything that is not essential to the trip, you will be much happier.

On that trip, I was carrying 60 pounds and my fiance was carrying 40-45. We were both completely miserable.

Do not overdo the gear you bring, it adds up quick. Smallest tent, light sleeping bag suitable for weather (not winter weight), lightweight blue foam pad.

Check out this site for ideas and verbage:
http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/