Author Topic: Hoarders TV show  (Read 8548 times)

Offline DeonFreshwater

• Prepper
Hoarders TV show
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
I don't have TV, but I saw some banter about this show. Do you think it is designed to dis the prepper community?
See, I just don't trust TV of any kind. It all seems to have an agenda behind it.
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/episode-guide/index.jsp?episode=480408&deeplink=true&dlepisodeid=480408&dlseason=Season%201

In one episode they were trying to throw a womans pumpkin away and she collected the seeds first, they evidently saw this as some sort of mental problem.

Sorry if this show has been mentioned before, I didn't see it.

I am not a "hoarder" however I do think people generally throw too much stuff out and produce too much waste overall. Most of us don't have the space to save every jar lid we collect, but still it feels wrong just throwing stuff out.

I'll be happier when I am accumulating more food with no packaging that's for sure.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
Re: Hoarders TV show
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »
I saw the commercial for the show but I have not seen it. In my opinion it probably does not have an anti-prepper agenda but I would not be surprised if someone on the show is a prepper bogged down with too much stuff. I did see an episode of Clean House, which I think inspired Hoarders, in which an 8mos. along pregnant woman was sleeping in her Mother's living room. This house, where not only nothing had been thrown out since the late 1970's but she compounded the problem by moving the entirety of her three bedroom condo into the house. So it is a problem to be sure, which probably makes for good tragedy-related reality television.

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:38 AM »
I had the misfortune of tuning into the show to see what it was about.  Essentially, it is yet another addition in a long line of TV shows that exploit the mentally ill.  In this case, people who have a psychological disorder whereby they can't throw anything away.

The hosts of the show take you for a tour of these people's homes, which are filled with trash, feces, mold, etc.  Its is very disgusting and these people need serious help, not a TV show.

After 10 mins, I was done.  This show has nothing to do with prepping and is complete trash (pun intended).

Offline DeonFreshwater

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
I watched it online, once I got started I couldn't stop. It's terribly voyeuristic, and yeah trashy indeed. It didn't turn out to be anything even referencing preppers. There were some terribly wasteful things that the clean-up crews did. Like destroying a perfectly good deck. Sure, as the owner called it, it was the deck to nowhere, but it had a lot of good wood in it.

Just glad those people didn’t see my daughters room when she was about 16, haha.

Gloria

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
I have watched the show.  It is not about prepping gone bad or wild.  Every show seems to be about people that for one reason or another getting into a place where there are not even walk ways in the house and there is filth.  I watched the pumpkin one and the one with the deck and part of the one with a man who was mentally unable to get rid of things.
I seen it as a warning not to let my preps get viewed as hording.  So I got shelves and put up shelves in the back of the closets.
Before that I had the things on cardboard boxes, stacked, labeled and in the closets.  I was thinking maybe that if on shelves....
I recycle and that stuff is in tubs.
Half the fun of prepping is not having it in plain sight.  The bed side table that holds________   The closet that has the shelf that has the board in front.  The kitchen bench that holds the flour sacks, and the extra items and it has wheels.  The end tables that have ________   The closet with camping equipment.  We camp, how about you? kind of thing.  heh heh heh.
I have watched Clean House to get ways to store things.  Another show that really got me to thinking was Closet Cases.  The man on there puts the unusable closes to a pile and it's give away.  Then his designer makes the closet over.  That is a good show to view once for the inspiration of the way they match clothes, how that closet gets revamped and the book of clothes after.  I applied it to the prepping by pictures of the preps and this way in the prep book the kids don't have to read they can just grab the preps in the picture.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
First off I have seen the show, I don't agree with them wanting to disrespect the survivalist community. The show is about people who have a true problem with hoarding. It is out there to show that it is not healthy to keep ever little piece of paper, wrapper, container, ect. that it could cause some serious problems. I can recall in two episodes that they families have had their children taken away due to unsanitary living conditions. As a prepper we store things that is gone to help make lives better if SHTF. We are not saving every single item that in some cases is trash or unsanitary to reuse. In the show you can see houses they has just plain trash that people is unable to throw away and even rotten food. In our cases we are not hoarders but just preppers, that is two totally different points of views.

-Tracy

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »
 I had to jump in on this because I saw the title in unread topics. I haven't seen the show, but I saw specials about hoarders before we ditched the tv.

Last November, I was hired to clean out one of these houses. It started as doing some plumbing work, but I wasn't able to get to the shutoff valves due to "stuff". From there, it turned into cleaning the place out. It was unreal.

I hauled off FIVE full pickup loads of clothes, (some of which were never worn), almost 170 pairs of shoes, more cookbooks than Barnes & Noble have ever offered, 23 CASES of yarn,and more misc stuff than any 10 households should own. I filled TWO 20 yard dumpsters with trash...empty boxes, butter tubs,expired food, (every bit of 400 misc cans plus boxes and bags), broken toys from the 70's....you name it, it was there.

There was no rhyme or reason for what was there. She had clothes and shoes that she bought on sale and never wore. She liked to knit occasionally and bought sale priced yarn by the case. The husband (he passed away the previous year) would go to the grocery store and put boxes of food in the basement and forget about it. He had bought a giant rollaway tool box and filled it with Craftsman hand tools, and never took most of them out of the packages. I even found brand new shoes of his in a closet (I believe it was over 30 pairs) with shipping labels from 1962.

I was there 3-4 days a week, from late November until mid April, and I still wasn't done. I had the basement and main floor finished, and was working on the attic. I had to walk away for a while. The place was making me crazy. I'd have her living room spotless; take a day off, and come back to it filled with clutter again. I just had to get away for a while. I'm going back once the garden is completely in. I have to finish the house, tear down a garage that has been neglected since '61, cut down some shrubs that were never trimmed and are over 20ft tall, and many other things. I could honestly be there 40 hours a week until fall and not be finished. I've never seen anything like this....well....except for those tv specials from a few years ago.

amanadoo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
I wanted to add too that for these people getting rid of "perfectly good" stuff is a necessary part of the healing process. In their minds, it is ALL perfectly good, and they have an unhealthy emotional connection to everything they own. We have beloved family members who (don't) deal with this and it effects every part of their lives.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »
From the few episodes that I've seen, as most of the folks stated previously, this show has nothing to do with preppers and doesn't take shots at the prepper mentality at all. Every so often there will be items that someone could use that gets tossed or an item or two that may have some value to a collector, but for the most part the items that these people hoard are not useful at all.

At times it seems to me that the people who are helping the hoarders clear their homes of clutter go a little overboard. However, they're trying to help people with an illness and they probably feel that the only way to do this is to allow no leeway for the hoarder to revert to hoarding after they leave.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
The show is not an attack on prepping.  Hoarders have a mental illness.  Having a lot of stuff does not make you a hoarder.  There is a line that is crossed and according to the show some of the people have tendencies towards hoarding and after a traumatic event they cross the line into full blown hoarding.  Some have been that way for years and years.  It is very sad. 

There was one show with a older woman who had her water shut off and used adult diapers for her business.  For a very long time she had never thrown them out just threw them onto the floor (guess she didn't have trash service either).  It was so bad the the floor of her bathroom had rotted through. 

It seems that there are hoarders that are organized and neat and then there are the hoarders that just pile the stuff on top of stuff garbage and all.  They still both need professional help.  Seems to me that most of them on the show also have a problem with shopping.  The amount of debit these people carry.  The hard part I have understanding is how something can get so out of hand without the spouse or other family member stepping in.  I mean good grief some of the piles go clear to the ceiling room after room.   TV and the sensationalism has to be there to get the ratings I guess.  Very sad situations and I guess more common than one realizes. 

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »
There's about 4-5 hoarder programs on the various cable channels ....... granted most of the people have pyscho problem(s) ...... besides the hoarding some have additional problems like shopping addictions, depression, abandonment issues ect ......... but some of these guys are just out and out lazy slobs ......... 

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
I have seen quite a bit of this show the saddest ones are of the elderly community that lived through a horrid war or the depression..they feel like they need these things just in case so I would have to say although the show is not a blow at preppers I can say I have seen a few that are let's say the result of post traumatic prepping so to speak..my great uncle and great grandmother came to Oregon fleeing the dust bowl literally in a wagon..my great grandmother passed at100 years of age..a month later her son(great uncle) followed..2589..self canned food..1500cans expired...789 guns..vintage paid off the house and funeral costs..with a bit left for my grandmother..150 pendleton wool blankets..and the kitchen..wow talk about a crazy amount of cool stuff..all was organized but was certainly the results of knowing true hunger..and fear..and the cold..prepared yes..post traumatic prepping..most likely..

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
Hoarding adds an increased fuel load for a house fire.  Sounds like common sense, but I guess when a person/family has this illness, it never occurs to them that hoarding drastically increases the chances of losing everything.  I know of one home in our community where the neighbors all fear a fire on that property, as the fuel load is so great that in the event of a fire, their homes would surely go up as well. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »
Essentially, it is yet another addition in a long line of TV shows that exploit the mentally ill.  In this case, people who have a psychological disorder whereby they can't throw anything away.

Hoarding in this case is exactly what is described above, not what we do. And in fact from the photos I see of prepper people who show their 'stashes' off, they are quite orderly and well organized. Yeah, we have alot of stuff, but we don't keep 15 years worth of actual garbage in bags in the house and we can cook in our kitchens (I hope anyway). These people can't as they can't SEE their kitchen stove due to how high the debris is piled.

The people in this show,(which I have watched a couple times) save everything and their houses are usually a health hazard. They often live with feces, dead rats/dead cats, each room piled to the ceilings and they have to walk over debris and items (such as furniture you would not even realize was there). The woman who owned my farm before I did saved the most BIZARRE items, that normal.. or even slightly abnormal people would keep. Such as thousands of rusted tuna cans, boxes and boxes of can wrappers, many, many things which were completely unusable. Some things I am not even sure I ought to mention on here, but all of us cleaning up are looking at the boxes of the same item saying "WTH?!?!?" Sure, all of us have a bit of this and a bit of that laying round, but this is BY THE 10 YARDER DUMPTRUCK LOAD! It took over a year to get it cleaned up as a full time job. 16 truck loads and a pit to burn alot of stuff. All of us who were on clean up (my ex-common law and his two boys) kept expecting to see a dead body or something in that mess.. all of us thought that and never mentioned it to each other until the place was livable. The farm I bought from her had been on the market for 10 years, as no one even got out of the vehicle most times once they saw the debris on the place. I had the resources (heavy equipment and semi trucks) to deal with the place which is why I bought it. I could see the potential under all the debris.

Recently I found out my friend's mother was a hoarder until her death a few years ago. It was very difficult on him as he was growing up. He was the school jock, the prom king, voted most popular guy in school, but he could never bring a date home to his house to watch tv, no friends over ever. His mom had even invaded his room with all her 'debris' and he had 9 siblings, so you can imagine he did not have a room to himself in the first place. He barely had a place to sleep and he bailed out of that house as soon as he graduated high school and from it sounds like, he went to live at the family's cabin which had no electric and no running water and apparently no hoarding debris. He lived there for a year before entering college. When he was telling me, you could hear the emotional toll it took on him when he was younger.  I wonder what it did to his other siblings...

In a way it is good they air these shows, but I would rather see them as a documentary versus an ongoing series. I loathe what TLC and the History channel have become. But I suppose they go to what the viewers are watching, which means where the money is and it shows where our society is going.

Cedar

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
I have 2 problems with shows like the hoarders' series and others related to them:

1. When preppers are denigrated as "hoarding" food, these shows will come into the minds of the sheeple. Facts matter little in an emotion-driven world.

2. These shows, and ones like Taboo, present serious mental illnesses as cultural artifacts as if they have value along side of working full time, seeing to it that your children are fed and educated, etc. Seriously, a woman who loves a wall or a guy who humps cars or the fat 20-something loser who likes to pretend he is an infant - diaper, high chair and all - are all ill. They are not violating taboos, they need professional help and/or medication. These sad folks exist, but they are not "normal" and this show presents them as if they were, thereby demeaning the human condition even further, this time for entertainment.

Offline MidnightMidwife

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
We got rid of our TV long ago - about a decade ago.  At that time there was not this sort of voyeuristic TRASH on the electric toilet.  I think it is terrible to take advantage of ill people.  All those reality shows are crap in my book.  Back when we had an idiot box, I could only handle history, some non-repetitive news, a few movies - that sort of stuff.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »
I have seen quite a bit of this show the saddest ones are of the elderly community that lived through a horrid war or the depression..they feel like they need these things just in case so I would have to say although the show is not a blow at preppers I can say I have seen a few that are let's say the result of post traumatic prepping so to speak..my great uncle and great grandmother came to Oregon fleeing the dust bowl literally in a wagon..my great grandmother passed at100 years of age..a month later her son(great uncle) followed..2589..self canned food..1500cans expired...789 guns..vintage paid off the house and funeral costs..with a bit left for my grandmother..150 pendleton wool blankets..and the kitchen..wow talk about a crazy amount of cool stuff..all was organized but was certainly the results of knowing true hunger..and fear..and the cold..prepared yes..post traumatic prepping..most likely..

I suffer from a bit of this myself.  Near starvation will do funny things to your perspective on life.  I know exactly what all of my ribs feel like, including the scar tissue where three of them have been broken more than once.  I know exactly what the haunted look looks like.  I have seen it on my ex-wife and in the mirror.  Living through such a state will cause you to be reluctant to let go of anything that might maybe have a little life left in it for something...anything.  I throw stuff away.  It just takes me a while to do it.  Actual trash goes in the trash.  Other things generally go on a shelf for a year or so until I am fairly certain I will never use it. I have to really watch myself at the grocery.  I can't buy one of anything or even 2.  My minimum is 4 and I tend toward 12 of any item.  I buy canned goods by the flat.  This is in addition to what I grow.

Offline Cannon

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Hoarding adds an increased fuel load for a house fire.  Sounds like common sense, but I guess when a person/family has this illness, it never occurs to them that hoarding drastically increases the chances of losing everything.  I know of one home in our community where the neighbors all fear a fire on that property, as the fuel load is so great that in the event of a fire, their homes would surely go up as well.

I once knew of a family of hoarders whose house burned down.  The cause: A clothing pile in the laundry room that formed a pyramid from the floor to the ceiling of the basement.  A hanging lightbulb overheated due to the close proximity of the clothing, exploded, and ignited the clothes.  I had seen the clothes pile precariously close to that lightbulb many times when visiting them; shame that it was their downfall.

My paternal great-grandmother (now deceased, she lived to 100 years of age) and my grandmother both suffer from hoarding tendencies.  I know this was from the "way things were" in their younger lives.  They never stored garbage like I see on that show, but they had an exhaustive collection of salvaged / thrift goods.  Growing up, I lived with them and spent much of my developmental period living in those conditions with them.  I still find myself reluctant to let go of things simply so I don't have to get rid of it. "Oh, I might use it next year." I find that amazing, and frightening.