Author Topic: monthly needs  (Read 12720 times)

Offline lavendereagle

• Prepper
monthly needs
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:27 AM »
ok so I've looked on here and didn't see it or it's not up here.

There isn't anyway on God's green earth I am using a "divacup" so what else can I use that is portable? I feel it would dirty and messy and the fact you might have limited water, etc.

I thought about OB tampons any other suggestion?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: monthly needs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
Limited water for the long haul is a problem... washing clothes, etc., as well as these personal issues.

I have no solution for you, other than those you mentioned. Like many, I've stockpiled disposable supplies, so that at least for the short run, I have plenty. I also printed out a pattern from the Hillbilly housewife site for homemade pads and stockpiled some flannel material.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »
There isn't anyway on God's green earth I am using a "divacup" so what else can I use that is portable? I feel it would dirty and messy and the fact you might have limited water, etc.

Even without water, a menstrual cup is still a reasonable option in my book because your own fresh urine could be used to safely clean it. Hey, if it's good enough to clean open wounds with in survival medicine it should be good enough to rinse off a menstrual cup with. And it's something you won't run out of. :D

Offline lavendereagle

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
Oh Dainty I am so not there yet! GAG GAG :-\

Don't get me wrong I am in the medial profession and just the thought of using urine to wah something eww.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »
if you refuse to use the divacup, then use tampons and pads like everybody else does.  Just buy a LOT.  Chances are that any "emergency" we have will be short-term: 30 days, 60 days, a year at most (and I can't think of anything that would last that long, but it's important to prep just the same).

If you're worried about water shortages, store more water.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »
I use cloth pads and have for years.  Seventh Generation disposables are the only pads that don't make me itch terribly.  With cloth pads, I generally need 10 to 12 for a cycle to avoid washing during the cycle (although I do wash daily).  Cool water and vinegar to remove stains then hot water to wash.  Wool pads are very absorbant.  Since they are small, a pot holding a couple of gallons of water over a fire would work well for cleaning them.  Pond water strained and boiled first would work.  Mother and Me pads are my favorite. 

Offline PermaWork

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Lavendereagle…
I gotta agree with you, the divacup is not my thing either, at least for now.
I guess it depends on what you're preparing for.
Tampons are fine for a bug out bag and for short term use.
It's a good idea to always buy a few extra boxes each time you purchase a new supply. Stocking up on items you use that often is important.
If the situation you're planning for is more of a long term scenario, it's best to address what you're willing to deal with…
If you have a secure and safe location, then hopefully water and basic sanitation wont be a huge problem, at least for a few days a month for you to clean your personal products. Have you looked into the Lunapads? It's an organic cotton pad.
They have been designed really well, they're soft and comfortable….well as comfortable as a pad can be….right…? :)
I bought a set, tried them out, it was easy to clean, messy, but, easy…at least right now while using the washing machine, but if soaked in a bucket of water for a while it will be easy to clean. I would rather clean my reusable pad than my clothing, so if it's a matter of what gets done, it's not a hard choice for me.

I suggest trying out a few possible "solutions" now, before you're in a situation where you don't have the option...

Offline DaiseyMae

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
ok so I've looked on here and didn't see it or it's not up here.

I thought about OB tampons any other suggestion?

I look at OB or Tampons as serving a dual purpose. They can be great for stopping bullet wounds or a deep hole if you get injured.. sounds gross I know, but hey, it works!
Kotex, same thing, even made for a bigger gash..heaven forbid that ever happened.  ;)

Offline m6996j23

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
hi, i read somewhere that women in a thirdworld country would use cotton balls tied to a string for tampons.  i dont know if this would cause toxic shock sendrom if they were left in for 8 hours or more for sleep time or some other reason

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
I can not in good faith recommend anything other than a menstrual cup. Up to twelve hours of use with no chance of TSS, that's a long time to not have to worry about bleeding from your crotch. Especially if you're on the move, or conserving water. However, I get that it might be an ick factor. You get over it, but at first it can be intimidating.

Cloth pads work well, but require a lot of water to use. I don't know. I can't imagine giving up my diva cup. it makes my period so much easier. And when my periods routinely last more than 3 months... it makes a big difference to my quality of life.

amanadoo

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:28 AM »
hi, i read somewhere that women in a thirdworld country would use cotton balls tied to a string for tampons.  i dont know if this would cause toxic shock sendrom if they were left in for 8 hours or more for sleep time or some other reason

This is a REALLY bad idea (sorry). The 8 hour rule of thumb only applies to proper tampons, and I'd start worrying about TSS way sooner with something like that. But more importantly, small bits of the cotton fiber can be left behind, creating an hellacious atmosphere in there, where you'd be sure to get an infection. If the SHTF the last thing anyone needs on their plate it dealing with an unhealthy vagina. It could lead to really bad problems. And anyone with a pot of water to boil and a rag would do much better to go the rag route than a handful of cotton balls, if there are no other options.

Offline valerie21601

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
The Patriot Nurse on youtube.com recently posted a video about this topic.   She has some very good information that really makes you think about it, short term and long term.   

My sister and I have no problem about using cloth pads as long as the pads aren't made of wool.  As we both have a wool allergy.
I am checking into menstrual cup. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
I can not in good faith recommend anything other than a menstrual cup. Up to twelve hours of use with no chance of TSS, that's a long time to not have to worry about bleeding from your crotch. Especially if you're on the move, or conserving water. However, I get that it might be an ick factor. You get over it, but at first it can be intimidating.

Cloth pads work well, but require a lot of water to use. I don't know. I can't imagine giving up my diva cup. it makes my period so much easier. And when my periods routinely last more than 3 months... it makes a big difference to my quality of life.

Make sure you aren't anemic with such long cycles... (doesn't sound good!).

Offline Janeway

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »
I've spoken to my grandmother (grew up in small town) and my DH's grandmother (grew up on farm) about this, both alive during the Great Depression. My grandmother used rolled you strips made from worn out slips, washed and reused, and DH's grandmother used strips of cloth from anything that was worn out. The ick factor here is DH's grandmother went on to say that they would save them, "her daddy and brothers would take them fishing and always brought back a boat load of fish". I know gross but this is coming from a women who when we told her I was pregnant with our first child she gave me her singer treadle sewing machine so I could make cloth diapers, went on to tell me that it was the first thing her and grandpa bought on credit from Sears & Roebuck Company from a traveling salesman and then asked me about breast feeding and I told I didn't know yet and her response was "don't you know that's why God made t*tys", anyway I learned a lot from her before she passed.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »
You'll find that lots and lots of mommies (and daddies) here *LOVE* cloth diapers.  Your grandma sounds like she would have been soooo much fun!  :)

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
And when my periods routinely last more than 3 months... it makes a big difference to my quality of life.

I know I don't know any further details, but to me this sounds like you may have Endometriosis. I had periods of 2 weeks bleeding, 2 weeks not, repeat. It took about 5 years for that to get to 1 month bleeding, 2 weeks not, repeat. I ended up having laproscopic surgery and had 'normal' periods for the next 2 years. It's been 4 years now and I'm getting close to 2 weeks on two weeks off again but i'd rather need surgery every 5 or so years than go back to the hell of before. I also found the use of an implanon contraceptive stick has helped the pain and mood swings.

I've just put in my first order for reusable cloth pads, since I use so so many do to the Endometriosis. I have to say the 'ick' factor greatly reduces when compared to the cost and comfort factors.

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
I had trouble using a divacup but I've grown to love sea sponge tampons.   I buy mine from www.jadeandpearl.com if I can't find them at the health food store.  I get a package of 2 for $13 and that lasts me an entire year.   One sponge lasts about 6 months.

I rinse mine out each time I take it out before I put it back in, but even in the absence of clean running water just a good squeeze will do.   At the end of the cycle I just rinse it in some ACV (you can also use tea tree oil but my hubby is allergic so I avoid that).

Along the line of cloth pads, Lunapanties are great too, especially for just light spotty days, and they would be super easy to make on your own.   I actually just got my hands on a sewing machine this week (Yay!!) so I want to try figuring out a way to make some of these for myself. 

http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18
http://www.lunapads.com/underwear.html

amanadoo

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
Has anyone here used both the diva cup and the moon cup that can tell us any comparisons between the two?

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
Not to worried about the monthly thing any more however the sneeze pee is showing up. Had surgery years ago for both problems. Having babies the cause more than likely.  Dr said when I get older the sneeze pee would most likely show up and get worse with age.  ( Don't know when I aged I don't remember aging is that why they say memory is the firs to go? hee hee ) Surgery again? Not really an option there is only so much they can do and scare tissue then becomes an issue.  So wondering what may work day to day ok not a real big issue but allergy season or cold hello Niagara falls.  I was thinking cloth with plastic wrap on the bottom? Kinda off topic but similar area of concern.  Side note for my endo I went to Dr Redwine in bend Oregon @ that time he was the best.  Haven't had a problem since. He gave me my life back.

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 05:53:30 AM »
There is a post below, I think it is called "A Need No One Talks About", where someone mentioned that his wife used microfiber cloths keeping dry from bladder control issues.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
Thanks for the direction. Most of what was talked about was alternative use for period products.  Have a feeling info would be placed in both places even if on a side note. Will keep checking and do my own research.  Allergy season is about here so good testing time  better know as ahhcoo dang it not again time.  thanks again

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
I know that here in Aus, there are a couple of companies that make reusable pads for periods who also have a range for bladder control if you ask.

The ones here are small businesses, run by women who made reusable pads for themselves and have grown from there. They are very open to discussion and helpful. I'm sure you could find a business like this where you are :)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
Yep the sea sponge..I love them....

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
I know I don't know any further details, but to me this sounds like you may have Endometriosis. I had periods of 2 weeks bleeding, 2 weeks not, repeat. It took about 5 years for that to get to 1 month bleeding, 2 weeks not, repeat. I ended up having laproscopic surgery and had 'normal' periods for the next 2 years. It's been 4 years now and I'm getting close to 2 weeks on two weeks off again but i'd rather need surgery every 5 or so years than go back to the hell of before. I also found the use of an implanon contraceptive stick has helped the pain and mood swings.

Yup, I've got endometriosis. I'm actually a little concerned about using my Diva Cup now that I've been diagnosed with it, because there hasn't been any studies showing that menstrual cups don't worsen endo. There have been a lot of anecdotal stories about women whose endo got worse with cups, or cups caused their endo. It makes me pretty nervous. I may be taking back my recommendation for the cup, at the very least, I would urge caution and make sure that you empty it frequently.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
Have always found the thought of those diva cups horrendous..not because of the blood just seems so unnatural to keep things blocked off..that's just me tho..I really prefer the sea sponge and if its a heavy day I add a bit of cloth to my panties..

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
I have (and LOVE) the lady cup. I bought an extra one as backup. I do own a Diva cup but it isn't as comfortable. I'm glad to have it as a backup though. I also use and adore the cloth pads from justfussy (dot com). I've been using all of these things for years. I use the cup during the day and the pads at night. I would never under any circumstance go back to tampons or sticky plastic pads. I hope this helps someone!

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
at last something GOOD about menopause LOL  I have stored diva cups and tampons for the kids and granddaughters though.