Author Topic: squirrel  (Read 12756 times)

Offline robt871

• Survivor
squirrel
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
Is there a differnece in eating city squirrel vs. country or rural squirrel, ie disease etc.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: squirrel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
Is there a differnece in eating city squirrel vs. country or rural squirrel, ie disease etc.
Not really.  Squirrels eat pretty much the same thing both places.

My squirrels around my house are fatter than the squirrels I see out in the woods where I usually hunt, but they have an apple tree, a pecan tree & quite a few other things close by.  They don't usually have to look too hard to find a meal.  I occasionally take a squirrel in my backyard with my longbow & I've noticed no difference in taste, texture or the general look of the meat.

Country squirrels have to migrate to where ever they can find food.  During years when the mast crops are lean they will either leave the area for greener pastures (so to speak), or range farther from their dens for food sources.  I guess the extra activity could cause them to appear leaner than squirrels that don't have to range as far, that's just a semi-educated guess though.  ;D

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »
Your city squirrels seem to think that they are a little more culturally diverse and generally better educated than the country squirrels, but I assume they all fry up just the same ;D

No, just kidding.

Seriously though, while on the topic about squirrels, my dad never liked to hunt them till after the first frost, because of bugs like ear mites and such I believe he said. Has anyone else ever heard that? I think it's getting pretty close to squirrel season here in GA (if it's not open already), but it still really hot here.

Goatdog62

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »
Your city squirrels seem to think that they are a little more culturally diverse and generally better educated than the country squirrels, but I assume they all fry up just the same ;D

No, just kidding.

Seriously though, while on the topic about squirrels, my dad never liked to hunt them till after the first frost, because of bugs like ear mites and such I believe he said. Has anyone else ever heard that? I think it's getting pretty close to squirrel season here in GA (if it's not open already), but it still really hot here.

LMAO

The city squirrels also can take the bus and not have to walk as far as those country tree rats. ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »

I hunt them sporadically during the warm weather.

After the first frost I hunt them regularly & as often as I can.  That's mostly because they're easier to hunt when the leaves come down & the ticks, chiggers & other biting nasties aren't as prevalent.

Lack of parasites actually on the squirrels is another benefit, even if most are harmless to humans.  I don't like to cut one open & see larva of some type under the skin.  You can cut around the parasites & discard the meat directly in contact & still eat the rest of it, but it's gross.  ;)

If you question whether an animal is fit to eat or not, check the lungs & liver.  You can often find clues to the little beasts health.  Both lungs & the liver should appear clear with no lesions or noticeable inconsistencies that would indicate a problem.  If I get one that appears to have problems I'll discard it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:49:50 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:58:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies I have never hunted, I live in the city and there are a lot of squirrels around.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »

No, just kidding.

Chris, Squirrel season began in Georgia on Saturday. i went out with my dad, but didn't see any. I plan on going again this coming Saturday before the cracker barrel.

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »
How do you clean a squirrel?

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
LMAO  The city squirrels also can take the bus and not have to walk as far as those country tree rats. ;D

"Unemployed/Economically Displaced" city squirrels qualify for housing assistance, WIC and free bus tokens as well, but I hear the lines are long, they are treated like chipmonks, and are often thought of poorly by other tree dwellers.

Around here they all taste the same!

BUT... and now the serious side kicks in...  Some Cities do have active control/eradication methods that they employ such as poisoning them with bait blocks tied high in the trees, so I "suppose" I wouldn't eat any that were acting "funny" if you know what I mean, but that goes for ANY game. 

And just in case someone asks...  You can usually find the "funny" squirrels nesting near your local Comedy Club.

Tim.

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
This is a great video

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
The first video is a decent way to skin a squirrel not how I do it but it is pretty good.  The second one is a terrible way to skin a squirrel.  That meat will literally be loaded with hair, the way he gutted it will allow feces and urine to get into the meat as well.    I don't know much about that school and don't want to put it down because that would not be fair at all but that is not how anyone with any real squirrel experience skins a squirrel.  God forbid he should get about 6 of em, it will take him 6 hours to clean them all.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »
Yeah, neither one of those guys know how to skin a squirrel IMO.

Takes about 30 second how I do it.

Cut at base of tail,step on tail while pulling back legs toward you.  Cut off feet & head, gut then soak in salt water.

They must like to do things the hard way.

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:51:55 AM »
got to give up thumbs up on quality of video production.  that was the first skinning i ever seen.  he has a video on the sling bow that is pretty cool.  put one together myself it is awesome.

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »
Roswell, Robt, Jack, DEV,

Thanks for the squirel cleaning info.  I finally had a chance to watch it as my work now blocks almost anything. 

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
This video leaves it to you to figure out how to gut it and get the skin off the back legs but that is pretty easy.  This is pretty much the way I do it,

How to Skin a Squirrel Video

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
Thanks Jack.  I hope to be doing a lot of that on Saturday   ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
City squirrels have a hint of espresso and bagels.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
That's the way to do it Jack.

You can clean a lot of squirrels quickly that way. ;)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
That's the way to do it Jack.

You can clean a lot of squirrels quickly that way. ;)

I thought that was what you were describing

Goatdog62

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
This thread and the "Squirrel Hunting" podcast last week motivated me to get my non-resident Virginia hunting license today. Normally I just hunt at home in TN.

Squirrels fear me, rabbits tremble at the mere mention of my name. ;D

VA squirrel season starts 5 Sept, I usually only hunt em when its colder though.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »
I thought that was what you were describing
It's a great way to do it, it really minimizes the amount of hair you end up having to pick off the meat.

The only tricky part is not cutting too much hide at the base of the tail.  If you cut too much you'll end up with a squirrel tail under your foot, muttering some cuss words & then doing it the hard way. ;D

Offline joemommapoo

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
Any diseases or specific parasites we need to be concerned about when it come to eating our fluffy little friends here?   I too have been motivated to do a little squirrel hunting.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
Any diseases or specific parasites we need to be concerned about when it come to eating our fluffy little friends here?   I too have been motivated to do a little squirrel hunting.
Bot fly Larvae (Warbles) can be found in squirrels & rabbits, but I've been hunting both for close to 30 years and have never encountered any in either species.  Lots of folks have though.  I've just had a really long lucky streak apparently. ;)

Here's a more in-depth article if you're interested in that type of thing.

Aside from being slightly disgusting looking, they do nothing to harm squirrels, rabbits or humans.  Should you happen to find them on something you've killed you can remove the affected area & use the rest of the animal.

Whenever I take an animal I check the liver & kidneys first (which I forgot to mention in my earlier post) because they're filters.  If they look normal then you can usually assume the animal was in good shape health wise.  You should really look at all the internals to get an idea of the overall health of the animal.

Offline joemommapoo

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:51 PM »
slightly disgusting looking

Slightly is not exactly the word I would have chosen.   Thank you for information.  I will not be eating any warble infected animals any time soon.  I do not think I will miss the warning signs.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »
I had an experience with a squirrel last year that was trying to get into the house and it made me realize that if it got bad I could potentially catch them and not be around.

I used a rat trap to catch the tree rat in question. A little peanut butter and and hes done.

Is what I used

and I picked up a few extras and small ones for the little ones.