Author Topic: THINK ABOUT IT- FIGHTING WITH YOUR RIFLE  (Read 6440 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
THINK ABOUT IT- FIGHTING WITH YOUR RIFLE
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:47:13 AM »

“Novices talk about hardware, professionals talk about software…” - Author Unknown

So how “good” are you with that ‘bang-stick”?

What good is your rifle if it sits parked on the gun rack or in its storage cabinet like a piece of fine china that gets used at Thanksgiving or Christmas once or twice a year?
It is not enough to just own your favorite rifle and a box of ammunition. It is not enough to clean and oil it and take it to the range with your buddies to show off a couple times a year.

Let me ask-
•   Have you “lived’ with your rifle, like at tool at your side, for extended periods of time?
•   How often do you practice to maintain perishable gunhandling skills?
•   How much time do you spend dry firing your weapon in a week or a month?
•   When is the last time you set aside the finances to attend a weapons class?
•   What do you expect will happen while engaged by a threat?
•   Will you produce an effective defense with your chosen rifle?

My point is this- Too many of us carry around the expectation that we can produce an effective response to violence without spending the time gather the necessary fighting skills to back that notion.

Quit deceiving yourself.

Having a rifle slung over your shoulder or in your favorite carry position is meaningless if you have not dedicated yourself to mastering that tool and how to fight with it.
Examine your level of proficiency. If you feel you are up to par with your fighting skills, good for you. Now maintain those skills with regular practice. If you find yourself lacking at the end of your assessment, what will you do? Try to learn what you need to know when the zombies are at your door, or get the training you need NOW?

Think about it...

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
Re: THINK ABOUT IT- FIGHTING WITH YOUR RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »
Excellent. You get a +1 from me.  ;D

I've seen way too many "weekend warriors" who go out and buy all kinds of fancy accessories for their rifles, EOTech sights, precision trigger groups, expensive replacement furniture for the weapon, i.e. stocks, hand guards, front grips, all that.
Not that there anything wrong with any of those, I've got them myself, but when you fancy your weapon up but don't use it, practice with it, test it, then all those fancy doo-dads aren't going to mean diddlysquat.

nate49080

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »
I would have to agree it doesent matter what you put on your rifle. When it comes down to it the only way to defeat a huge army is with gurilla warfare tactics, like utilizing snipers. But the most important thing is to practice.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
It has always been my opinion that with enough training you can shoot anything within range with iron sights. Everything else is icing on the cake. I can't afford alot of icing, and I have always been trained with iron sights. You are right, though. Alot of people think because they own a weapon, no matter what it is, that they can automatically use it. Sorry, this isn't the Matrix. Learn your rifle and gun and you will be able to do amazing things with them.

Some people do not even take their guns and rifles apart to see how they work and what they can do. Hell, some don't ever do any upkeep on their investment. I just don't take mags apart  :D I need to learn how to do that.

Offline debandjoe

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:16:05 PM »
I have read the post's and now I am curious, what company did you work for in Iraq and in what capacity? PSD, Static, IT or what.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
Most of my work was with a company called Castle Gate Security. I left their employ just before they changed hands and did a swan dive and lost its business like many small outfits over there.

I worked for EODT after that. I was seriously injured in their employ and am presently recovering from those injuries.

Here's what's left of the up-armored truck I was in to give you a picture of what it looks like when things go wrong...

<I was in the front passenger seat and lucky to be alive>

During my employment I have travelled just about everywhere in Iraq. I performed functions as a convoy team leader, a protective detail member as well as doing force protection operations when called upon.

If you are interested, and want to follow the contractor drama as it unfolds in Iraq, a good set of resources to look into are:

http://www.pscai.org/pscmembers.html

and...

http://www.dangerzonejobs.com/artman/publish/index.shtml

Hope this helps with any questions you might have.

Regards,

swanson

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
Try this on for size. Spend three days with your rifle, no more than arms reach away. Weed the garden, fix the gutters, put up an antenna or any survival type activity. Your pristine fire arm will be scratched, dinged possibly the glass lose your zero, etc.
You will be much the same way  ;D. Actually if you have not been in the military, most people have no idea the difficulty of being constantly armed. Best spend some quality time with your best friend, share some bruises and get to know one another.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »
Sardog,

You are exactly right!!!

Being armed is worse than a constant drag- it creates fatigue constantly, muzzle awareness becomes a life-long aspiration, and care and maintenance take on a whole new meaning.

Thanks for the great observations!!!

swanson

Offline debandjoe

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »
Nah I dont care to follow the Contractor thing as I have been in Iraq and Astan since 2005 myself with Dyn and EODT. Just reading and looking

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 09:41:28 AM »
debandjoe,

Glad to see others of like mind on the threads here.

I hope to see some of your thoughts and experiences shared here as the forum expands. Seems to be a genuine set of folks sharing comment here.

regards,

swanson

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
I agree about having to get used to carrying a rifle.  A couple of weeks ago I was out on the farm and decided to do just that.  I was only looking for small game, so all I was carrying was my Marlin Model 60 with about 50 rounds, but it did take a lot of time to get used to.  Do any of you guys who have done this more often have a preferred type of sling, or hands free carrying method that allows for the best flexibility/mobility while protecting your weapon?  Any reccomendations?

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 08:36:32 AM »
Glad to hear about your experience.

On the sling question...

IMHO, stick to the standard 2-point sling types and use your rifle's standard attachment points too. In some instances, a single point sling variation is useful (depending on the weapon and deployment needs you envision).

If you get a chance, review the Sling for an AR thread on the forum at:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=789.0

No matter which sling fits your needs and situation the best- train with your weapon and sling regularly.

Deploy it from your shoulder into the myriad of firing positions you believe are useful/possible and add it to your dry fire practice, religiously.

There's big pay-off in cutting down your reaction time by doing this, if you have to deploy a rifle from sling carry.

swanson

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »

“Novices talk about hardware, professionals talk about software…” - Author Unknown

So how “good” are you with that ‘bang-stick”?

What good is your rifle if it sits parked on the gun rack or in its storage cabinet like a piece of fine china that gets used at Thanksgiving or Christmas once or twice a year?
It is not enough to just own your favorite rifle and a box of ammunition. It is not enough to clean and oil it and take it to the range with your buddies to show off a couple times a year.

Let me ask-
•   Have you “lived’ with your rifle, like at tool at your side, for extended periods of time?
•   How often do you practice to maintain perishable gunhandling skills?
•   How much time do you spend dry firing your weapon in a week or a month?
•   When is the last time you set aside the finances to attend a weapons class?
•   What do you expect will happen while engaged by a threat?
•   Will you produce an effective defense with your chosen rifle?

Think about it...

Great post Swanson.
I always try to remember the stats while shooting at my local range or at a tactical class for the weekend.
No matter how much training you have your only 50% of your best range day when it counts in a high stress situation.
This is the difference between Combat Shooting and Target Shooting. Both are great but both have different purposes to them.
If your a casual Target Shooter I highly recommend some high stress combat courses. Target shooting is great for learning more about your
weapon system and working out all the bugs but is totally different than Combat Shooting. Obviously there are other categories involved like Hunting which I would throw in an offshoot of the target shooting category but I felt this is more about what Swanson is trying to bring to peoples attention in this post.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 09:34:42 AM »
Tycoon,

Your comments are dead on +1!!

Hardly anyone emphasizes, in any fashion (or enough), the fact that performance deterioration under stress is a fact of life not to mention the differences between general sporting use of firearms and the use of firearms for self defense.

When it comes down to "go-time", how many folks with a rifle will have prepared for the moment diligently as James Yeager says with, "realistic, recent, and relevant" training?

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:27 PM »
While I absolutely appreciate your suggestions, I live in the middle of Iowa where there aren't any combat shooting courses, and don't have very much money to spare.  What can a guy like me do to test my combat shooting skills?

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 08:33:32 AM »
While I absolutely appreciate your suggestions, I live in the middle of Iowa where there aren't any combat shooting courses, and don't have very much money to spare.  What can a guy like me do to test my combat shooting skills?

Hey Joe,
Yeah that's tough. If you can't find anything in your area I'd try hitting up some of your local gun clubs or ranges. There is a good chance that you might find somebody who has some experience in that area or can point you in the right direction.
In the meantime, try to become as comfortable with every aspect of your weapon as possible, tearing down, cleaning, adjustments and most of all shooting it. This way once you can afford to attend a class somewhere you'll have a great headstart on the basic fundamentals.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »
Joe,

I concur with Tycoon’s observations and advice.

As Tycoon relates, become intimately familiar with your firearm(s) of choice…

•   Nomenclature
•   Maintenance and Assembly/Disassembly
•   Basic operations and gunhandling (loading and reloading)
•   Dry fire practice (against a safe and solid backstop)
•   Deploying your firearm(s) from a holstered or sling position(again, in a safe manner and  environment)
•   And possibly, use a timer to introduce some stress into your activities when you feel like it

Becoming proficient with your firearm(s) does not always translate into tons of cash out of pocket and rounds down range.

You should strive to feel comfortable around your firearm(s), and that familiarization will breed confidence, and replace the uncertainty that sometimes surrounds the use of tools we might not commonly interact with on a regular basis.

As far as furthering your skill sets through more training, I, again, agree with Tycoon, often times there are many resources that surround us to learn more about firearms and shooting in general than we recognize.

For starters, ask the owner of your local gun shop who provides training in the area you are in. They can often be a resource because they know the firearms community in an area well.

Also, Contact the NRA and ask about any local classes that might be going on within driving distance. The NRA has a bounty of instructors that put on cheap, basic classes on firearms and defense. The NRA is a resource that is underused.

In the end, it is good to seek out a mentor that can assist you with your pursuits.

Find someone you are familiar with and someone who you can trust in judgment and experience to further guide you along. I bet you might already know someone. Local Law Enforcement or retired military professionals live amongst us and most will be willing to help you along your path.

I hope this helps out in your quest for further education and testing your shooting skills.

swanson