Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 6191890 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #26340 on: August 31, 2020, 08:38:48 AM »
I have an 50 or so year old 1 man logging saw.  We use it to cut hawk blocks.  It does take forever to sharpen, but amazing in action.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #26341 on: August 31, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
Thanks for the saw info. I need to do some research on them, which I haven't done.

There a guy on the TV show Mountain Men that is in Alaska. He uses a one man saw.
Thats a good looking saw that he has.

For me it was the "Alone in the wilderness" documentary about Dick Proenneke that brought the one-man saw to my attention.
If you're serious about buying one, perhaps you may want to discuss at some "unplugged woodworking" forum on FB olr elsewhere. Roy Underhill fans and such. Those folks will likely tell you more about the saws than you may ever need. There are various brands and various teeth shapes. Don't rely on ebay or similar sellers to provide good information. Some will tell you their saws are ripsaws (while most of the real logging saws are naturally made as crosscut), etc. The one-man saws were also sometimes fitted with additional handle that's attached into a hole - usually one hole is above the primary handle (so you can employ both hands to the work) and one is on the other end (attaching the handle there turns it into two-men saw). There were various teeth shapes, I went for the most simple triangular ones for easy straightforward sharpening, but I'm sure some of the fancier shapes might be useful, though sharpening them could be trickier.
Look out for chiped teeth and broken handles. You can surely make a new handle, it's just a piece of wood, but you may not want to. If you can get a good deal on one with missing teeth, perhaps you can use it as a training piece to practice your sharpening. It's not rocket science, but it does take some experience. There are plenty of how-tos for saw sharpening. Logging saws work the same, it's just a lot more filing and to give the teeth a good set takes some effort. There are old setters on the antique tool market as well, special adjustable pliers that help you make the set uniform. Other setters work just as a simple lever, a piece of metal with a notch that grabs the tooth and allows you to bend it slightly. Some guys would even use ljust arge flat screwdrivers to pry the teeth into a set.
All the sharpening and setting is best done in a vice, preferably with the sawblade clamped between two boards as well.
When filing the teeth edges to sharpness, you want to avoid creating a really keen, chisel-like edge. Much duller angle is enough and lasts longer.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26342 on: September 01, 2020, 08:07:49 AM »

All good info Knecht. Thanks.
Yes, highly interested but it's down the list of needs. For those of us that heat with wood, if ever we cannot get gas for our saws, we will need these type's of manual saws.

Processed 9q of cantaloupe puree. Canned 7 and 2 in the fridge.
Dehydrating more okra and some tomatoes.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26343 on: September 01, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »
Yes, that's why I always consider these saws a serious part of my readiness (as well as being able to heat at least some of my house with woodfire). I'm currently going through a lot of trouble to replace the heating source in our house with a new wood-fed furnace that would be "green" enough to be legal. I don't want to use electricity or gas as a primary heating source.

Offline Phantom

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSB Member
    • Louisville Homestead
« Reply #26344 on: September 03, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »
Last week I finally got a generator 1.8k sportsman. I need to get a second big buddy heater before it gets cold and top off my propane (3 or 5) are full.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26345 on: September 05, 2020, 06:31:24 AM »
The big buddy header is down right useful.  I use it to take the chill out when working in the garage during winter.  I find for light weight use the heater works fine on the smaller LP gas cylinders.   However, I do have a few 5 gal LP tanks for when I need to use it full blast with the adapter hose.

I ended up replacing one of my NATO style gas cans that managed to sprout legs.  I wanted the Wavian Fuel Can, but the only color they had in stock was yellow.  The next option was VALPRO mfg to replace the hardware in a nice green color.   I use both green / red for gas storage.

The problem with buying on Amazon is that there are so many china knock off versions you won't know if you bought a real NATO can or just a light weight want to be one.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26346 on: September 06, 2020, 12:52:12 AM »
The problem with buying on Amazon is that there are so many china knock off versions you won't know if you bought a real NATO can or just a light weight want to be one.

I think there are telltale signs to distinguish, as long as the photos are matching what the sellers offers

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26347 on: September 06, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
I ended up replacing one of my NATO style gas cans that managed to sprout legs.  I wanted the Wavian Fuel Can, but the only color they had in stock was yellow.  The next option was VALPRO mfg to replace the hardware in a nice green color.   I use both green / red for gas storage.

I checked Amazon this yesterday and this morning for those can. Both are in stock. The VALPRO in OD and the WAVIAN in red. The Wavian was only offered in red and black no yellow to be seen or offered. Both specifically say built/made in Latvia.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26348 on: September 06, 2020, 07:25:43 AM »
Yesterday I received my order of a car escape tool.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26349 on: September 06, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
Yesterday I received my order of a car escape tool.

Hammer/belt tool?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26350 on: September 06, 2020, 08:20:05 AM »
Hammer. Window buster and seat belt cutter.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26351 on: September 06, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »
Hammer. Window buster and seat belt cutter.

8)
I got some a few years ago. Figured they were a good deal especially since door locks and windows are mostly all electric now.
Seems I gave one away but can't remember to who at the moment.
The other stays in the CV

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26352 on: September 06, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
a good buy...

what I have read is that it is superior to the resque-me tool, because it it an implement to clear glass stuck on the door frame.
Though cutting yourself on it seems a lesser evil to escape from.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26353 on: September 06, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
I always have a bunch of knives on me, plus a mace under the seat, so I guess that's my car escape kit :D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26354 on: September 06, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »
a good buy...

what I have read is that it is superior to the resque-me tool, because it it an implement to clear glass stuck on the door frame.
Though cutting yourself on it seems a lesser evil to escape from.

Cutting yourself on the seatbelt cutter shouldn't be a problem. The blade is recess in the hook area, no way to get a finger in there.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26355 on: September 06, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
Cutting yourself on the seatbelt cutter shouldn't be a problem. The blade is recess in the hook area, no way to get a finger in there.

I mean cutting yourself on the glass leftovers

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26356 on: September 07, 2020, 03:58:18 AM »
Oh, yes and modern safety glass just shatters and normally doesn't have particularly sharp edges.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26357 on: September 07, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
I checked Amazon this yesterday and this morning for those can. Both are in stock. The VALPRO in OD and the WAVIAN in red. The Wavian was only offered in red and black no yellow to be seen or offered. Both specifically say built/made in Latvia.

if I knew they were the real versions I would have bought on Amazon - but some of the comments indicated that some people were getting the china knockoffs.  The first sign of an imposter is the china knockoffs are about 20% or more lighter.  Most are not coated.  The handles are spot welled versus seam welled.

go to the Wavian USA site for yellow and other sizes.  And yes, they may have 1/2 size and 1/4 size in stock.  Perfect for hauling with the chain saw.

I have a Swiss version of the quarter size gas can, perfect size for the lawn mower.

Way back in the day Old Grouch Military Surplus  managed to get a bunch of used / surplus NATO ones.  I picked up a few for myself in the full size and 1/2 size versions. 

With the first sign of winter coming fast I have swapped up my travel kit for my truck.  the cold weather gear is there along with a good tool bag for common needed items. Tomorrow I get the truck serviced for winter and I should be good to go.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26358 on: September 07, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »

Processed and canned 8 pints of Larry's mix pickled Okra.  ;D
Processed and canned 14 quarts of various pickled vegs, mainly onion. Carrots, green maters, beets, dab of okra. Leftovers laying around that needed used up.

Most veg canning is done now, except working on getting more ear corn. Late in the season for it and hard to get local corn. $0.40 per ear at the store is too much to pay for canning it.

Canning jellys and jams is coming up.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26359 on: September 08, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
Got 12q of pickled vegs marked and put away.
Vac packed some dehydrated okra and ancho's and put that away.
Was going to mix up the Ball's Golden Nectar recipe, but got out of the mood.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26360 on: September 08, 2020, 07:07:42 PM »
but got out of the mood.

Yeah understand that. I wake up that way often.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26361 on: September 12, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
Harvested first apples from our newly inhabited property (last year the apple harvest was almost non-existent, due to frost in May). They are rather sour, so I'm slicing them for dehydrating.
Also, found out my wife left the dehydrator full of dry elder blossom, so - filled a big jar with dried elder blossom :D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26362 on: September 13, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »
Nice. the sour apples seem to work very well for baking.

I canned up 6 pints of applesauce today... not from my own trees, alas.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26363 on: September 15, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm already looking forward to use those apples and make an apple pie that my sister introduced me to, very unusual and very good one. Would be a nice way to celebrate our kitchen rebuild - after two years, we're finally getting close. Our masons finished all their work today, now it's up to us (installing the countertop, cupboards, oven etc.). I've ut the countertop blank to shape (goes from corner to corner, none of which is 90°, really annoying thing) and today I've cut the holes for sink and stove top, so it's really getting somewhere at least. I've also learned a thing or two about bricklaying, so maybe I'll practice that and do some future small projects myself.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26364 on: September 18, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Successfully tested some antique guns with my BP reloads.
Fixing my yurt that got damaged two winters ago. We don't live in it anymore, but it's a good bugout/vacation place to have.
Harvested some small but sweet pears that grow on an old tree here, which somewhat went wild again over the years. Cutting them into quarters and drying/lightly baking them in the oven. Hope to make a small supply of those for the winter.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26365 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:56 AM »
Just bought myself this neat little lightweight monocular from Amazon for hiking/camping.
I already own a monocular but that's only got a fixed magnification of 6x, but this new one zooms from 8x to a whopping 25x.
The price of 77 GB pounds (98 US dollars) is a bit steep but I suppose that's the price we pay for high-qual miniaturised optical engineering, and it's a once in a lifetime purchase so what the heck, it's only money..:)
My only minor gripe is that you really need to rest it on something to avoid hand shake at its higher mag settings, and at high mags the image becomes duller because ye canna change the laws of physics captain..

PS- here in Britain (dunno about other countries) we can opt to have our Amazon purchases delivered to a nearby collection point (mine is the local post office) and we can pick it up from there in our own good time when Amazon emails us to tell us it's waiting.
The advantage of that is that porch pirates can't get it..:)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:49:41 AM by Gamer »

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26366 on: October 05, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
Successfully tested some antique guns with my BP reloads.
Fixing my yurt that got damaged two winters ago. We don't live in it anymore, but it's a good bugout/vacation place to have.
Harvested some small but sweet pears that grow on an old tree here, which somewhat went wild again over the years. Cutting them into quarters and drying/lightly baking them in the oven. Hope to make a small supply of those for the winter.

Last weekend I've repeated much of the scenario, minus the BP shooting (no time). The yurt is almost complete (ready to build, with some minor work that needs to be done on a standing construction, plus some minor painting and other finishing).
Continued making those dried pears.
Also harvested some apples. Dug out couple horseradish roots to transplant them to our new home garden. Also transplanting a black rowan (bitter but edible, with certain medicinal value) and some siberian onions.
Getting used to my new job. Getting up at 4:40am is killing me, but I should make enough money to finish some of the most needed reconstruction projects on the house, improve my workshops (new floor in the wood shop, new chimney for the forgery, some new tools and machines....) and of course I also plan to invest some of it into new supplies and prepping. Hope to get some employee discount for bulk ammo from my employer, will see about that.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26367 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
yesterday i finished a 4S2P lifepo4 powerpack and I am half done into the second one.
left off the 30A ampmeter for now cos i found the wiring too challenging...

Offline ottowolf

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26368 on: October 05, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
Replaced wick in kerosene heater.w
w
Winter is coming

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26369 on: October 06, 2020, 12:34:16 PM »
Love the GoT quote... and it is true.

I canned up 10 quarts of apples and bought another 1/2 bushel... still to be done.

DH built me a compost screen... I'm very happy!