Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5847205 times)

Offline Ronslost24

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #6930 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
Made and canned salsa using Alton Brown's recipe.  mmmmm.. I guess I need to stock up on Tums next. ;D

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #6931 on: August 24, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
Took son to range to sight in his rifle. Practiced with 9mm. Getting the family more invovled in packing lunch to school and work.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6932 on: August 24, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
"Learned" how to locksmith from a friend...
Kinda sobering.  Picked my new 6 pin "anti-pick" kwikset deadbolts in under a minute (several times), picked my home safe, and picked my pistol safes...
now...to decide what to do to increase my safety...

When I was younger I took a locksmithing correspondence course. I practiced the lock picking too, because it was fun. I found that of all the locks around the house, the Kwikset were the easiest to pick. That being said, there are much easier ways to get past a lock for the common thief. If you have a professional thief who has targeted you, he might consider picking your locks. If you keep a low profile and are just targeted at random I would expect the thief to take the easy route and kick in your door, pry / cut open safes, etc.
An option if you are really concerned about the picking (and bumping too) is a Schlage keypad lock. They have a key as well, but as I understand it, that can be disabled leaving just the numeric code to open the lock.

Offline Dene B.

• Survivor
    • Country Consultant
« Reply #6933 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »
Today I decided to make up some 4 gallon buckets of "mixed" long-term storage foods.  Basically, I packaged up all of the items necessary to make one meal for my family of 4 and vacuum sealed each package.  Then I put enough food in each 4 gallon bucket for approx 3 days worth of meals @ 2000 calories for adults and 1200 calories for kiddos.   This way if I need to leave quickly, I can pull these buckets and have all of the food we need for "x" amount of days.. rather than getting to a new destination only to find that I've grabbed a bucket full of rice only..   Just kind of playing around with ideas..

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6934 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
reorganized my BOB and changed out the water and granola bars in the EDC with fresh stuff.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6935 on: August 24, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
Well, I spent most of the day splitting my preps between two areas of my house. I also organized the other portion into go-tubs, so-to-speak, which we would grab in an emergency and would have the calories to last our family for two weeks. Worked on my Family SOP. And as always, I have been working out at the gym to keep one of the most important tools in my survival preps in good condition.

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
« Reply #6936 on: August 24, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
Today, we put in an offer on a 42-acre parcel of remote land. Scary and exciting! Scariting? Excitary? In any case, I'm happy and am crossing my fingers that our offer is accepted, especially since we low-balled it at 15% below the already reduced asking price.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #6937 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
  Teased the family about making everyone a coffin. 

Took me a couple years to convince my wife I was serious when I said I was going to make 2 of them for us.

Also, you can buy them at a decent price from Costco. Unfortunately, they don't ship them to all states.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #6938 on: August 25, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
Made and canned salsa using Alton Brown's recipe.  mmmmm.. I guess I need to stock up on Tums next. ;D

Did you like it?  My husband was saying just yesterday that we should try making our own salsa.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6939 on: August 25, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
Today I decided to make up some 4 gallon buckets of "mixed" long-term storage foods.  Basically, I packaged up all of the items necessary to make one meal for my family of 4 and vacuum sealed each package.  Then I put enough food in each 4 gallon bucket for approx 3 days worth of meals @ 2000 calories for adults and 1200 calories for kiddos.   This way if I need to leave quickly, I can pull these buckets and have all of the food we need for "x" amount of days.. rather than getting to a new destination only to find that I've grabbed a bucket full of rice only..   Just kind of playing around with ideas..

Being creative is a valuable survival trait.  I was thinking about dehydrating onions/celery/carrots and storing together for stuffing and things like that.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6940 on: August 25, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
Went to the pick your own and loaded up on fruit. Going to dehydrate some in a few minutes and put away.

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #6941 on: August 25, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
My wife got some late summer/early fall plants into the new planting bed in front of the house, and got some mulch down on them.

I managed to bill some extra hours on my second (third?) job, giving us some extra income to put in the safe for a rainy day.

--Richard

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #6942 on: August 25, 2010, 07:25:22 PM »
caught up on podcasts on the way to work today.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6943 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
I worked in the garden at the BOL.

We had our first cantaloupe and watermelon from the garden today. They were sooooo good!  8)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6944 on: August 25, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
finally jumped into gold. up to now i've only invested in the other two precious metals: silver and lead. feels good to secure a little gold.
Gold is so cool! Your going to love it.

Offline romeo hotel

• Survivor
  • Every BOB needs a cricket bat.
« Reply #6945 on: August 25, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
I got my 1st ever hunting license. Ready for the doves next week!

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6946 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
Not today, but..

Took the family to the local gun club this past weekend for a look-see. Can't believe we've lived here this long and have never gone over there. Found out that they have nice skeet, trap, rifle and pistol ranges. Spent a good amount of time talking with the Range Master, and learned that he also teaches the NRA First Steps classes. Decided to sign the boys up for that class, probably in the next month or so when it cools down a bit.

Anyone have any comments about the NRA First Steps program?

The boys loved looking around the pro shop, so much better selection then Big 5! Now my 14 year old can't decide if he wants the M1903 Springfield, the M1 carbine, or the new M1As they have. My biggest problem is not knowing how to evaluate the used rifles for condition and price. The staff there was great, letting the boys look at anything they wanted. They loved the broom-handle Mauser pistol.

Turns out the club was having some sort of event there that day, so once we pried the boys out of the pro shop, they were drawn into the display table setup outside by two Army Special Forces soldiers. I think one of the boys was close to needing a change of shorts when he was told he could handle the Barret sniper rifle. They insisted on posing for pictures with the Barret, MP5 and M4 rifles. They were not allowed to handle the M9 sidearms, as they were hot...

Will definitely be spending more time there!

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #6947 on: August 26, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
I will embark on possibly the most important preps on my list. Heading out for a job interview today that will take roughly 12 hours to drive to reach our destination. Success could mean complete relocation out of our current area I feel is not safe for my family. I live in one of the wost economic depressed states in the nation and high crime.

Relocation is a major prep. In this economy it is rare, so please pray for me that the interview goes well.  :)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6948 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:12 AM »

Relocation is a major prep. In this economy it is rare, so please pray for me that the interview goes well.  :)

Prayer sent, Anti-Federalist.  Best wishes.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6949 on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »
Yesterday, after putting in 90+ hours at work over the past week and a half, I took a day off.

The better half and I moved into a new home several weeks back, and with working so many hours, as you might imagine, we are still winding our way through unpacked boxes, general chaos, and crazed puppies who want attention and get underfoot while unpacking (for the record, I wouldn't have it any other way!)

What I did with my day off:
1. Took the pups for a training and play session at the beach, smoked a big cigar while there with my morning coffee.
2. Came home and decided to be productive by tackling the back yard and garage (instead of "Day o' Sloth")
3. Met the contractor who was re-doing my neighbors porch and deck, got some tips from him on my self repair of our rear deck.
4. Started emptying the garage into the driveway (you couldn't walk through the garage it was so jammed up.)
5. Was interrupted during the garage empty by the neighbor across the street who I haven't met. Retired FBI agent, who is a total bad#@ and hilarious. She spends her days sitting on her porch being a busybody - I am quite grateful that she is 50 feet from my front door.
6. Got the spare jerry cans of gasoline securely stored in the garage, with stabilizer to keep it fresh (I plan on rotating the use as well - but for the price, its super cheap to both store long term and clean the engine and carbs.)
7. Built new shelving in garage using planks and cinder blocks, got everything back in place, squared away, labeled, and rotation system setup, and out of the driveway except the lawnmower.
8. Other new neighbor stopped by, took a look at the lawn mower while I was bringing the trash down for curbside pickup. He shakes his head, reaches under the engine cowling and magically resuscitates the beast.
9. He walks back to his garage, comes back with a spare sparkplug, inserts it into the lawnmower - the darn thing is running smoother than my car is!
10. He accepts fresh jalapenos, and dehydrated peaches as barter for the plug and expertise (I offered the cash, but he is, as am I, a firm believer in "neighborly" relationship building.
11. Barbequed dinner to be ready when the lady returns from work.

A darn good day punctuated by great new neighbors.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6950 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »
Yesterday, after putting in 90+ hours at work over the past week and a half, I took a day off.

The better half and I moved into a new home several weeks back, and with working so many hours, as you might imagine, we are still winding our way through unpacked boxes, general chaos, and crazed puppies who want attention and get underfoot while unpacking (for the record, I wouldn't have it any other way!)

What I did with my day off:
1. Took the pups for a training and play session at the beach, smoked a big cigar while there with my morning coffee.
2. Came home and decided to be productive by tackling the back yard and garage (instead of "Day o' Sloth")
3. Met the contractor who was re-doing my neighbors porch and deck, got some tips from him on my self repair of our rear deck.
4. Started emptying the garage into the driveway (you couldn't walk through the garage it was so jammed up.)
5. Was interrupted during the garage empty by the neighbor across the street who I haven't met. Retired FBI agent, who is a total bad#@ and hilarious. She spends her days sitting on her porch being a busybody - I am quite grateful that she is 50 feet from my front door.
6. Got the spare jerry cans of gasoline securely stored in the garage, with stabilizer to keep it fresh (I plan on rotating the use as well - but for the price, its super cheap to both store long term and clean the engine and carbs.)
7. Built new shelving in garage using planks and cinder blocks, got everything back in place, squared away, labeled, and rotation system setup, and out of the driveway except the lawnmower.
8. Other new neighbor stopped by, took a look at the lawn mower while I was bringing the trash down for curbside pickup. He shakes his head, reaches under the engine cowling and magically resuscitates the beast.
9. He walks back to his garage, comes back with a spare sparkplug, inserts it into the lawnmower - the darn thing is running smoother than my car is!
10. He accepts fresh jalapenos, and dehydrated peaches as barter for the plug and expertise (I offered the cash, but he is, as am I, a firm believer in "neighborly" relationship building.
11. Barbequed dinner to be ready when the lady returns from work.

HAHA, that is great!!!.  Always good to start off well with the locals!!!

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6951 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »

Hey Mad, congrats on the move. So glad you have a busybody nearby. That always helps. I love that I have plenty of retired/at home folks around me. They know everything that goes on!

I've have tried several ways to fix those darn beet greens andI jut really don't like them. I received napa in my farmer's food basket along with a recipe for kim chee (sp), so I plan to make it. I know you like it, so I thought it has to be good!!

Take care,
Sue

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6952 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
Hey Mad, congrats on the move. So glad you have a busybody nearby. That always helps. I love that I have plenty of retired/at home folks around me. They know everything that goes on!

I've have tried several ways to fix those darn beet greens andI jut really don't like them. I received napa in my farmer's food basket along with a recipe for kim chee (sp), so I plan to make it. I know you like it, so I thought it has to be good!!

Take care,
Sue

Hey SWoods/Sue/Mom!!!

A few quick replies as I am on the run...

1. I miss you, hope you are well.
2. I miss your daughter, I hope she is well - tell her not to forget her old friends in TSP land.
3. The new place is requiring an adjustment, but things seem very positive, just different than it was (I embrace change - but it is often tough.)
4. Sorry the beet greens dont agree with you. I did have some the other day, boiled like spinach, then chilled, and with a drizzled honey vinaigrette dressing - I loved it, but you may just be an anti-beet sorta gal.
5. I have had mixed results with the kimchee over the summer. I went back and emailed Sharon Astyk (fantastic blogger/prepper/homesteader) and she suggested that due to fluctuating temperatures I might need to add a LOT more salt to my recipe to counter balance the heat (kimchee is traditionally prepared in crockery and then buried in the backyard to ferment under the soil, similar to a root cellar) her thought was perhaps my air conditioning wasn't turned down low enough and as such I was experiencing microbial growth in the warmer ambient air of our old loft, in addition to the desired lactofermentation. I have not tried it as of yet (busy moving and all...) I will check back in when I do start my next experiment, I mean batch... I should note, that in our new place in the burbs, I now have the opportunity to bury it as the traditional methods dictate. I may have to consider trying that!

Warmest to you and your entire family!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #6953 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
Update on my back yard swale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HalduVJEdg

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6954 on: August 26, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
Made my first batch of pizza dough this afternoon.  One step away from the Home Run Inn frozen pizzas that I love so much.  Pricey, but MAN are they good.  May I someday learn to make a pizza that tasty.

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
« Reply #6955 on: August 26, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

@madcap1one, I neither smoke nor drink coffee, but somehow, this sounds like a perfectly lovely way to start the day.  :)

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6956 on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
Lets see today my prep is small  but, it is a building block.  Six boxes of instant oatmeal.  It might not sound like much but, every little bit counts.  I have heard way too many people stock things in there storage area and when asked how they plan on using it they say things like "Well we usually never use these kind of beans(or what ever) but, they seem like a good thing".  You should stock what you eat and not what you don't or won't eat.  

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6957 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
 We set off this morning to a friends house 2 hours away to get peaches. These aren't really the best peaches to just grab and eat, but they make great jam. They have 3 trees and don't use them at all. He either mows them over or tosses them to the pigs. We came home with 3 big coolers and one 5 gallon bucket full. (somehow I've misplaced all but one of my buckets, arrgh) Tomorrow we'll be making jam pretty much all afternoon when the wife gets home.

While there, he told us that he has 2 pigs and a steer going to slaughter and doesn't have freezer space, then asked if we wanted a little to take home. He proceeded to FILL 3 coolers with misc beef and pork right from their farm. I asked him a price and he said "we're even for the 10 ton chainfall you gave me this spring." OK....BZ is now oficially the best friend ever lol.

Tomorrow morning I'll *FINALLY* be butchering the last of the chickens,and am having a friend get me 2 turkeys at auction. All 3 freezers are now totally out of space.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #6958 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
Dawgus, unfreeze some of that meat and some of the chickens and can them. Then you'll gain freezer space and have longer storage time of the meats and almost instant dinners ready. For me canned meats are a win win situation.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6959 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
The produce stand near work has had homegrown peaches for .99 a pound, so I've been putting some of those away. So far I have about 14 cups frozen in 2 cup packages. I also have dehydrated probably a dozen peaches or so. That's the PITA since I can only fit 5 or 6 in the dehydrator at a time and it takes around 24 hours to dry them.  :(