Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 6076906 times)

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #6960 on: August 27, 2010, 05:23:57 AM »
Granny- We already plan on doing just that. We always do big batches of chickens soup and chili, and will be doing more meat products as the weather cools and the garden slows down.20lbs of that was ground beef, so I see a lot of canned meatloaf happening soon!

jakematic

« Reply #6961 on: August 27, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
Distributed four new Sterno folding stoves between vehicles, gear bags, and emergency kits.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #6962 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
Picked up a box of Clays and another 100 Pack of #7 1/2 for the boys to practice and shoot.  Also picked up 100 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of el cheapo, plinking 22 ammo that was on clearance for a buck.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #6963 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
I will embark on possibly the most important preps on my list. Heading out for a job interview today that will take roughly 12 hours to drive to reach our destination. Success could mean complete relocation out of our current area I feel is not safe for my family. I live in one of the wost economic depressed states in the nation and high crime.

Relocation is a major prep. In this economy it is rare, so please pray for me that the interview goes well.  :)

Prayers for you and yours on this endeavor!

For myself, yesterday I listened to the last episode of TSP that I needed to get me up to date and have now heard every episode (I did skip maybe 5-10 or so that were very time sensitive economic or political).  Now every day I can hear one new episode on the way to work and stay current!

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #6964 on: August 27, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
I canned 5 half pint jars of jalapenos in a pickling solution a lady at work uses.  They Rock!  I've got peppers falling out of my ears this year, so I'm glad I've finally found a way to keep them around for a while.

In case you are interested, the recipe is as follows:

1 Cup White Vinegar
2 Cups Water
1 T Olive Oil
1 tsp. powdered Alum

Bring above to a boil.  Stuff sliced jalapeno rings into sterilized jars, then fill to cover peppers with above boiling mixture.  Seal lids and allow to cool.  No hot water bath.

Someone please tell me if that last bit of instruction is bad/dangerous.  I've eaten the ones she brings to work for years, but was still a little nervous.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #6965 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
Lets see.. over the past week.

Canned a bunch o cucumbers from the garden as well as made some fresh salsa (and canned it) from the abundance of tomatoes this year.

Picked up a lvl IIIa entry vest and carrier.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6966 on: August 27, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Took a CPR class today.  Received a mini "first aid kit in a mini "backpack" after class. 
Yesterday, I drove two separate alternate routes home from work.  So far, I have three routes. (My "excuse" was construction work on the regular route I use.)

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • snowbird / boondocker
    • boondock plan
« Reply #6967 on: August 28, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Bring above to a boil.  Stuff sliced jalapeno rings into sterilized jars, then fill to cover peppers with above boiling mixture.  Seal lids and allow to cool.  No hot water bath.

Someone please tell me if that last bit of instruction is bad/dangerous.  I've eaten the ones she brings to work for years, but was still a little nervous.

You could probably refrigerate them that way, but the official guidelines for processing jalepeno peppers for room-temp storage is boiling water bath.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6968 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
 Decided that it's time to check some preps and test a few things to make sure they're ok. First thing after a dinner of steak, fresh potatos and sweet corn from home will be "testing" a 2 year old bottle of mead...using the birthday thing as an excuse lol.

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
« Reply #6969 on: August 28, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
Went to the gun show today and picked up some .380 target and carry ammo.  I also picked up 100 ft. of 550 cord.  Dave Canterbury from Dual Survival was there.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #6970 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
I canned 5 half pint jars of jalapenos in a pickling solution a lady at work uses.  They Rock!  I've got peppers falling out of my ears this year, so I'm glad I've finally found a way to keep them around for a while.

In case you are interested, the recipe is as follows:

1 Cup White Vinegar
2 Cups Water
1 T Olive Oil
1 tsp. powdered Alum

I'm sure it isn't an approved method anywhere but I've been doing the same thing for years except I don't use the alum. It's so acidic the chances of anything bad surviving are very slim.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6971 on: August 28, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
Went to Costco and threw into the cart a 2-pack of peanut butter and a 10-pound pancake mix. 

Going out to the BOL now for some miscellaneous work there.  And plenty of fun.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6972 on: August 28, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
Did some under stress shooting at the range.
Picked up a few more MRE's and a nice military surplus gore-tex camo jacket and some wool gloves for winter weather.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6973 on: August 28, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
Harvested a bunch of beans (and a watermelon) from the garden.
Maybe this is something of a stretch as far as a prep, but I expanded my cooking skills a little. Tried a recipe for banana bread that I never tried before (turned out OK). Also for the first time ever, I used a chicken carcass to make chicken soup.That turned out a bit watery, but I'll make some adjustments for next time. Even with it being watery, the wife and all three kids ate it. That rarely happens.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6974 on: August 28, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »
I went online to check out some Mechanics and Carpentry classes at the local community college.  (To see if I can fit any in during my "down time" from work)

I would like to learn to work on my own vehicles and and welding and the tecniques/tools, etc. for building things.  I would only be able to do one or two at a time, but that would be better than none.  ;D

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #6975 on: August 28, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »
Raining on and off all day so unable to get anything done outside. Baked 2 loaves of beer bread one with blackberries that were frozen from the summer the bread turned out great. Made some fresh salsa and used fresh flat leaf parsley for the first time, it rocks. I am going to find a place to establish parsely in my yard. Pulled out shotguns and gave them a once over and reviewed safety with my son. We are going to the range tommorow to shoot some clays, opening day dove season next weekend.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6976 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »
Raining on and off all day so unable to get anything done outside. Baked 2 loaves of beer bread one with blackberries that were frozen from the summer the bread turned out great. Made some fresh salsa and used fresh flat leaf parsley for the first time, it rocks. I am going to find a place to establish parsely in my yard. Pulled out shotguns and gave them a once over and reviewed safety with my son. We are going to the range tommorow to shoot some clays, opening day dove season next weekend.

You're having ALL the fun!!  :D

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #6977 on: August 28, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
Harvested a bunch of beans (and a watermelon) from the garden.
Maybe this is something of a stretch as far as a prep, but I expanded my cooking skills a little. Tried a recipe for banana bread that I never tried before (turned out OK). Also for the first time ever, I used a chicken carcass to make chicken soup.That turned out a bit watery, but I'll make some adjustments for next time. Even with it being watery, the wife and all three kids ate it. That rarely happens.

Personally I think everyone should be able to cook and to have good cooking skills. Who knows when you'll need them. My son and both stepsons are good cooks who learned the basics in my kitchen and got interested enough to expand their skills when they were out on their own.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6978 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:34 AM »
Upgraded the padlock hinge on a door at my BOL.  The old one had screws showing so you could just unscrew the hinge and walk in.  The new hinge (actually, a "hasp" is what it's called) has the screws behind a solid piece of metal so you can't unscrew them:

I also put in extra long wood screws into the part of the hasp on the door jamb so it would be harder to kick in.

I put on a combination/key pad lock.  I hate losing a padlock key.  And I have so many keys that it's a real risk.  Think about if SHTF and you have some supplies stored.  Good for you, right?  Then suppose that you lost the key to get them.  Or that someone else has the key and is delayed in arriving or never does.  Very bad situation--and totally avoidable.  Having combination locks with everyone on your crew knowing the combo is the way to go.  But then also having a key is a great back up.  Plus you can give the key to someone that you don't trust with the combo to the other locks.  Options is what you get with a combination/key lock.

I found a very heavy combination/key padlock:

It's a Master Lock and the model number is M176XDLHCCSEN: http://images.truevalue.com/getimage_new.asp?id=809226&ImageType=2&NoImageType=2&ColorImageSize=2

While out at the BOL (beer in hand and while hanging out with my son) I also cleaned out the shed (pictured here):

and I added some of my latest Costco-run food preps to their proper storage bins and updated my food inventory. 

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6979 on: August 29, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »

I put on a combination/key pad lock.  I hate losing a padlock key.  And I have so many keys that it's a real risk.  Think about if SHTF and you have some supplies stored.  Good for you, right?  Then suppose that you lost the key to get them.  Or that someone else has the key and is delayed in arriving or never does.  Very bad situation--and totally avoidable.  Having combination locks with everyone on your crew knowing the combo is the way to go.  But then also having a key is a great back up.  Plus you can give the key to someone that you don't trust with the combo to the other locks.  Options is what you get with a combination/key lock.

I found a very heavy combination/key padlock:

It's a Master Lock and the model number is M176XDLHCCSEN: http://images.truevalue.com/getimage_new.asp?id=809226&ImageType=2&NoImageType=2&ColorImageSize=2

For what it's worth - I always carry a bolt cutter in my car for work. The other day my mom lost the key to the padlock on one of her out buildings. It had a decent quality master lock on it. Not as nice as yours, but not a piece of junk either. I was in the building in about 2 seconds.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6980 on: August 29, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
Checked out my Blood Pressure Monitor and found that it no longer works. (Air leaks - rotten rubber?) >:(
So - I will be getting another one asap! Glad I found out now, instead of when I might really need it.  ::)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #6981 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Took the boys to the range for some Shotgun practice.  They did Great, Also met up with TheMirage.  GREAT guy, brought along lots of cool toys.  (The M&P 15-22 AR is just the funnest thing in the world to shoot).  He made my boys days, they got to shoot a real AR and my an AK.  (That was 5 hours ago and they are still talking about it LOL).  Can't thank him enough for the great time. 

Thanks again Mirage.

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #6982 on: August 29, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »
Filled my Excalibur 3900 with 100 roma tomatoes sliced.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #6983 on: August 29, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
dehydrating some fruit.  About to take the latest batch and put it away, cut up the next batch and run the thing all night.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #6984 on: August 29, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
Looks like we might get touched a bit by Earl toward teh end of the week.  Spent yesterday cleaning up two P-U loads of scrap wood and other yard debris.  This morning I found the generator was leaking fuel from the carburator area and would not stay running.  I'm not really "mechanically" inclined, but I figured it was already broken, so I should see what I could do.  I took the carb apart and cleaned it real good, then put it back together.  Genny ran like a top!  Yay Me!  Have a list of projects for the next few days to get ready for Earl.  Clean gutters, fill up all the gas cans, secure patio furniture, etc...

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #6985 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »
@ flagtag after I read my post yesterday you were right I did have fun. Thanks.
@ imperial goat I hope earl spins off into the atlantic and leaves y'all alone. If it does affect y'all at least you will be prepared.
Today rained all day, unable to go to range today. After reading all the posts on canning salsa I tried it following a ball recipe to the letter. I was impressed when I pressed the lids and none of them flexed. I will see how it tastes later this week. I did have fun cutting everything up with my wife.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6986 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
Decided that it's time to check some preps and test a few things to make sure they're ok. First thing after a dinner of steak, fresh potatos and sweet corn from home will be "testing" a 2 year old bottle of mead...using the birthday thing as an excuse lol.

Hope you had a happy birthday! 

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6987 on: August 29, 2010, 08:14:47 PM »
Upgraded what I've always felt was the weakest link in my home security. I replaced the basement window on the back side of the house with glass block.
There is only one more window down there. I wanted to do one at a time just to see how it went before I jumped in with both feet. Figured I'd start in back since it seemed like a more likely place for someone to break in.
Since the one in back went easy, I'll go buy the block for the one on the side and replace that too.

Offline Ronslost24

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6988 on: August 29, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »
Made 2 gallons of mead and 2 gallons of hard cider.  The cider will take some time but maybe I can barter with someone to snow blow my driveway this winter with it. Hope it turns out ok.

Offline Donnie

• Survivor
« Reply #6989 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Neighbor gave me some apples, some I canned 6 quarts of apple sauce. Seems like a lot of work for a small return but it sure tastes good. Phone just rang and he has pears now. Time to find out how to do pears