Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5847209 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #7020 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
Convinced a co worker to go ahead and get his CCW.  He recently purchased his first pistol and has been using it on the range with his son and getting familiar with it for the last couple of months.   He is currently looking to take a training course and will be looking at other defensive pistol training as it becomes available.

He is a good guy, very level headed and calm. 

One more good guy out there.  Keep that snowball rolling.

endurance

« Reply #7021 on: September 01, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »
This week:
-bought a used Stihl 029 off of Craigs List
-Had a contractor come out to bid putting in my postholes for the new fence
-continued my downstairs demo to put in a new laundry room and remove 50 years of mouse infestation waste from the ceiling
-ordered a new 12v 4.9gpm pump to pressurize my water coming from my dual 275 gallon underground rainwater tanks
-met with the state forest service to discuss pine beetles and wildland fire mitigation
-sold my old house (built in 96) and continued settling into the new house (built between 1920-1953)... how's that for moving backwards? :D

Offline kr66p6r13

• Prepper
  • what is taken for granted today, gone tomarrow
« Reply #7022 on: September 01, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
took my wife on a wild edibles identification & mach scavenge hike through the chats/woods near our property. hopefully some of it stuck, we"ll see on the next 1 ???

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #7023 on: September 01, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »
bought two more silver coins from Silver and Gold Shop. They even called me personally to confirm my order and answer my questions over the phone. Great service! ;D

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7024 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »
Purchased some more fresh medical supplies: Burn jel, triple antibiotic cream, and a big tub of petroleum jelly. I also purchased some more rabbit pellets, that dang stuff is almost $15 a 50lb sack now... I really need to get my pellet mill going!

jakematic

« Reply #7025 on: September 01, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
Prepped some more for Earl. This may be a non-event for us in the Piedmont, but an excellent drill nonetheless.

- Topped up pets and people short term water supply from the Berkey
- Washed every strand of dirty clothes and towels
- Ran the dishwasher
- Baked two loaves of homemade bread
- Thawing two loaves worth of French bread dough to bake in the morning
- Load tested both Wagan Power Domes for 5 hours and then set them to charge
- Just started a big batch of minestrone in the crock pot
- Thawing sausage for a breakfast casserole of powdered eggs, jack cheese, maple syrub, and onion hushpuppy mix for the morning
- Tested backup internet access
- Put FRS radios back on charge after testing
- Charging every cellphone, and other portable device overnight
- Inspected all door and windows
- Put dehydrated veg in mason jars and vacuum sealed them
- Cleaned out the wastewater sewer grate out front
- Checked all weapons and verified ammunition locations
- Planned to de-consolidate preps if necessary
- Gassed up cars and made sure tires are aired up
- Discussed get out plan with family
- Discussed stay put plan with family
- Proposed bugout plan to colleague in VA for his family
- Planned out how to cover windows if broken to abate rain
- Inventoried everything
- Backed up important files and documents in the "cloud"
- Contacted customers along the east coast who may need my assistance for DR
- Put 3 extra cases of beer and 2 boxes of wine in fridge (it keeps it cold in case power goes out, that's my story and I'm not budging)

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #7026 on: September 02, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »
haven't checked in, in a while but i've performed the following preps over the last couple of months.

Purchased a water bob, and five, 5 gallon water storage bottles.
Numerous can goods, assorted meats, fish, fruits, veggies, soups, etc. etc. on a good rotation level.
Got me three hens and a cock that i'm currently raising for eggs and meat if need be.
Growing spinach, beans, onions, and various fruit trees.
Couple of buckets of freeze dried foods and a case of mre's
Rices and pastas stored.
Added to my fuel and cooking supplies.

Constantly adding to my lighting and energy supplies.

It feels good i tell ya'!!!

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #7027 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52:55 AM »
For my final Earl prep work, I put all but one trash can in the shed, and bungee corded the remaining one to the fence.  Added a bit of food and cltohes to the GHB, plus my hardhat & safety glasses.  That's it, we are pretty much good to go.  It's a great feeling!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7028 on: September 02, 2010, 06:14:02 AM »
 Canned peach jelly and peach jam yesterday. Today I'm canning green beans, pickled beans, and FINALLY a batch of Hares "fireballs". I got a call yesterday evening about 2 more trees to take down for free firewood which I'll start next week. I grabbed a Bolens lawn tractor from someones curbside trash on my way home from looking at a rifle trade. The motor is shot but I can get an easy $1000 from parting this thing out. That will pay for other prep items and be partly put away to cover next years garden at both places. I got ANOTHER call 30 minutes ago about chickens....12 of them. I have to check the freezers and see if I can somehow make room before I call back and say yes. Or...spend that 1000 on quart jars and make enough chicken soup to last 10 years  :D

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7029 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19:32 AM »
Scored a Pacific Coast feather bed with cover, queen size.  Had it dry cleaned and laundered the cover.  Sweet!  I'd like to sell it, but if it doesn't move I'll use it myself. 

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7030 on: September 02, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
Made a batch of strawberry jam and ran the generator for 15 minutes to keep it ready.

Offline ggmalena

• Fledgling Prepper
    • my Blog
« Reply #7031 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
This past week:
Dehydrated okra, mint and lemon balm from garden, celery from store, currently dehydrator is full of garden peppers.
Planted falll garden crops: lettuce, kale, beets, chard, raddichio, rutabaga, radishes. 
DH cleaned / rehabed old Coleman stove and lantern that we have not used for about 15 years.  I got a large tent at a yard sale for $25.   We assembled it, all parts are there and it's in almost new condition.   We used to hike/ backpack / camp a lot when younger and are working towards doing that again.
Bought several aluminized polyester emergency blankets to add to the bug out / get home bags I am assemblying for my three grandkids who are old enough to drive.   Perhaps this year their Christmas presents will be thought / discussion provoking.

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7032 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
Scored a 9-tray Excalibur at the thrift store.  It wasn't priced.  It's my local thrift store, and it's for a good cause, so I offered $20.  "Sold!" said the lady behind the counter, apparently delighted. "What is it, anyway?"

:)

Offline dustyz

• Prepper
« Reply #7033 on: September 02, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
Let's see, I'm new here but can share a few things...

-Started welding up the 275 gallon rainwater tank I gathered from the farm. I'm trying to figure out what to paint it with since it'll be above ground.
-Got the carry-all on the tractor and moved some pavers & railroad ties around for the foundation for the tank.
-Started designing the chicken coop
-Started designing the new indoors clothesline
-Almost finalized a deal to trade my old Ford Ranger for a 4 acre topographic layout on our 50 acre piece for future building
-Found passion fruit growing wild all over the property
-Downloaded and saved Rainwater harvesting and filtration, Solar Ice Maker, and Power table PDF's for the library...

Baby steps... :-)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7034 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
Scored a 9-tray Excalibur at the thrift store.  It wasn't priced.  It's my local thrift store, and it's for a good cause, so I offered $20.  "Sold!" said the lady behind the counter, apparently delighted. "What is it, anyway?"

:)

omg... what a great deal! I'm so happy for you.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7035 on: September 02, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »
 Spent the day canning...again. I cracked open a #10 can of mountain house TVP and used it in a stir fry with all fresh vegetables from the garden. Apparantly it's a hit since the wife had 2 plates lol. Think I'll be ordering more of it.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7036 on: September 02, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
Picked up a Sears (Briggs & Straton engine) 2400w portable generator for $150. Apparently 5+ years old but looks practically new! Anyone have any suggestions for where to find a manual for it? Sears wants $19 for one and Google turned up nothing useful.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7037 on: September 02, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
picked and put some basil in the dehydrator, also shredded a big bunch of carrots and put them in the dehydrator. Then we juiced about 18 tomatoes and have the watery part seperating so I can put that in the dehydrator to make tomatoe powder.
We also started the yearly checking, reorganizing and listing of the preps...big job!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7038 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:05 PM »
Picked up a Sears (Briggs & Straton engine) 2400w portable generator for $150. Apparently 5+ years old but looks practically new! Anyone have any suggestions for where to find a manual for it? Sears wants $19 for one and Google turned up nothing useful.

Try the B&S site?  http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/shop/parts-and-accessories/?cmpid=Branded

Offline mesta26

• Prepper
« Reply #7039 on: September 02, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »
Today I picked up a bow and everything I need to use it from a friend for almost nothing, gonna try my hand at providing a little meat for the family the old fashioned way. 

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
« Reply #7040 on: September 02, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
I bought a can of powdered eggs from honeyville and don't think it was that expensive...

I don't want to get too off-topic on this thread, but quickly: do the pre-made powdered eggs cook up to somewhat resemble the texture/flavor of scrambled eggs? I only found one mention of eating powdered eggs (not in baked goods) on the various TSP threads, and it wasn't terribly encouraging....

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #7041 on: September 03, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
I made the monthly Costco run to restock and expand the stores.

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #7042 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
Today is solar oven day.  Continued testing on the cardboard wonder box(beef stew and blueberry muffins) and the rv sunshade cooker from my BOV (instant rice from the BOV). 

Turned out much better then I expected!!

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7043 on: September 03, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
Try the B&S site?  http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/shop/parts-and-accessories/?cmpid=Branded

Thanks LvsChant. Found the manual and parts list for the engine, which I guess is the most important part of the generator.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #7044 on: September 03, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
Gotr 80 rolls of TP, four cases of water at BJ's

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #7045 on: September 03, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »
During the course of day I have to go into a few different buildings on a regular basis. I know where al the exits are but did not know the fire alarms and fire extinghusers are located. As I went to different floors I made mental notes of alarm boxes and emergency gear. This may save my or someones life one. A small prep but could be huge.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #7046 on: September 03, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »
Hit the labor day sales: 8 quart Stansport ductch oven $20!
Gerber knife at Pawn America: $29

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7047 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
I left the lid off of the chicken feed barrel and I found 6 mice/small rats in there couldn't jump high enough to get out I kept dropping mouse traps in until I got them all...fed them to the chickens :)
picked 7 eggs and thru another doe bunny in with...Bubba! ;D

Offline paleo_prep

• Prepper
  • "Life is better when it is not ordinary."
    • PaleoPrepper
« Reply #7048 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »
Received my copy of "Dare to Prepare" (author: Holly Deyo) and sped-read it after dinner. An overwhelming and awesome amount of knowledge is nestled between this book's covers. Highly recommended!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7049 on: September 04, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »
Yesterday:Helped the folks start cleaning out junk in the attic. I scored another dutch oven and several 1-5 gallon camp/water containers.

Today-We're heading out to replenish 25lb bags of sugar, brown sugar and whole wheat flour. We also need to pick up supplies for making laundry detergent. When we get back we'll be canning more pickled beans and starting a big batch of blackberry jam.