Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5845920 times)

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #7050 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »
Bought 1500 rounds and a 30 round magazine for the .22 LR.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7051 on: September 04, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
Bought two cases of bottled water, re-configured some storage shelving to better suit our storage needs, and listened to some older podcasts from Jack.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #7052 on: September 04, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
Pictures forthcoming, but I have my 12V junction box mounted to my designer steel pergola, and three out of six total solar panels mounted and wired. The wire's strung across the lawn in eager anticipation of a 30 foot trench, but the other end is hooked up to my charge controller, battery, and inverter in a water-tight utility box next to my BEER FRIDGE.

I just checked the little indicator light, it's 7PM and the sun is about to set, and IT'S CHARGING!!!

Now that my folks see my 1337 skills, I've been tasked with building a second setup on the west side of the house to power our two freezers in the garage. Twice the panel and twice the battery, but one 800 watt inverter will run both comfortably. From the looks of it I can put a total of about 20 panels up on this pergola without fabricating any brackets!

Photos:

Solar Cuervo Anyone? On the left is the tool/utility box with the inverter (bottom), battery, and the charge controller sitting on top, showing a net charge off the three amorphous panels!

And here's the pergola, and the fabric hanging in the background is a shade cloth that came with it - looks like it's made of woven strands of vinyl, but it does a good job of providing shade and privacy. It's just hanging out of the way in this photo, since I had to keep moving the ladder around to get to the brackets at each end of the panels. You can just see the amorphous panels on top of the pergola, and the white wire is 12/2 romex, which should handle my whopping 7 amps at 12V.

yay!

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7053 on: September 04, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
Impressive, Orionblade!

Zack and I sold our last quart of honey today.  Woohoo! 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7054 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »
Hangin' at the BOL with my son and Mrs. Heavy G (daughter not pictured). 

Yes, this is the first TSP photo of the famous "Flip That Spouse" Mrs. Heavy G.  She does exist.  She doesn't have horns. 

She is diggin' the BOL more and more.  One of the reasons is that she doesn't have to lift a finger out here.  She was concerned that a second place would mean she would have a second place to clean.  Nope, dear.  I take care of the BOL 100%.  Her wine glass is getting a little low--poof! it's back to full.  She wants a snack--poof! the pantry has all her favorites and I bring what she wants right out to her.  I do all the cooking and cleaning out there (and cut firewood, etc).  I do absolutely everything out there and I love it that way.  Just come out here and chill, baby.  She brought out her People magazine and computer, walked the beach, drank some wine, and had several real conversations with her husband.  That's hard to do at home with all the stuff going on there.  But here it's just quiet.  Perfect for conversations.     

My son loves it here, but he's a 12 year-old boy so no surprises there. 

I want my family to feel like the BOL is a home away from home.  Because it will be when SHTF.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7055 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
That's awesome, G.

You can have all the gear in the world, but without someone to share it with, it's just a bunch of stuff.

*high five*

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7056 on: September 04, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Wow.  I discovered a HUGE flaw in my preps.

My daughter has no shoes.  Seriously.  She has no shoes.

She is 15 and very stylish.  She wears flip flops year round.  She has 8 to 10 pairs of flip flops. 

But not one pair of real shoes.  (Actually, she has one pair of real shoes but they're at the house.  She has no shoes at the BOL.)

I found this out when I said, "Let's go on a hike around the cabin tomorrow." 

"Sure, sounds like fun." 

"You brought shoes, right?"

"No, I can hike in these [flip flops]."

"You have a pair of real shoes out here at the cabin, don't you?"

"No.  Why would I need those?"

Think about bugging out or even living in your BOL without shoes.  Forget boots, I'm talking she has no shoes.

I told her that I love her and that I could not live with myself if I she couldn't get around in a bad situation because she didn't have a $14 pair of shoes. 

I told her that we can't go back to the cabin until she has two pairs of real shoes to take out there.  She asked, "Why two pairs?"  Then we talked about the experiences of Bosnians who describe how important footwear is.  Tried not to bring her down, and the Bosnian experience is a downer, but she needs to understand that mobility is key and frickin' shoes are critical to that. 

The girl pictured below is a prepper bad ass (for a 15 year-old) but does not have a pair of real shoes at her BOL:

Thank God I found this out now instead of when we need to haul ass away from something.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:41:35 PM by Heavy G »

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7057 on: September 04, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
Based on past posts, I'm surprised she didn't just turn to you and say "no, of course not, I have duct tape!"

:-p

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7058 on: September 05, 2010, 06:26:32 AM »
I found a butcher block (nice hard wood) table at a yard sale. After talking with the lady, who is a local trying to raise money to open a small cafe (which I will patronize!), I asked her about any canning equipment and she's going to call me with a price for all of her canning jars, since she no longer has time for it with the cafe project!

I also met up with a friend who had recently moved and he showed me the orchard on his property that needs to be picked...for FREE!  woohoo! Got my entire apple needs met for at least this year. Asked if I could bring a friend (another prepper) and he had no problem with it at all. We're picking today and on Thursday!

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7059 on: September 05, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »
Based on past posts, I'm surprised she didn't just turn to you and say "no, of course not, I have duct tape!"

:-p

Lol I couldn't help but to chuckle and think of my two girls and their aquired wit!!! especially when prepping for TEOTWAWKI lol.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7060 on: September 05, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
Picked up another 80lbs of charcoal at the Home Depot Labor Day sale. ($10 for 40lbs)
That brings me up to 190lbs or so on hand.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7061 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »
Hardwood or "standard" kingsford/matchlight/etc.?

I use charcoal in my forge, and the hardwood stuff will get up to a much higher temp. with little to no ash, and really heats up the shop quick when you want it to.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7062 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »

The girl pictured below is a prepper bad ass (for a 15 year-old) but does not have a pair of real shoes at her BOL:

Well, we went hiking just now at the BOL with her wearing her flip flops.  She did OK in them.  I knew that her going out in the woods in flip flops would teach her exactly what I was trying to say.  It did.  She couldn't move nearly as fast as I could (in boots) and she couldn't go on some of the really cool trials and see some neat stuff because she couldn't climb up in flip flops.  Her feet have blackberry scratches but they're not too bad.   

I could tell that she's like her mom.  She wouldn't admit her feet were bugging her or that she couldn't move over tough terrain in her flip flops.  At least she's tough and not a whiner.

We had a blast out in the woods exploring. 

I hope all of you reading this think about having multiple sets of good footwear and socks everywhere you can have them (home, vehicle, BOL).  That's why I tell a few thousand of my closest friends on TSP about all my prepping failures.  Learn from my failures.  I sure do.  And so did she today. 

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7063 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I need to be sure my girls have some good shoes/foul weather gear in their get home bags I'm building for their little cars.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #7064 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
Went out to the BOL today and worked in the garden.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #7065 on: September 05, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
Not today but earlier in the week, bought 2 rolls of junk silver dimes and a 5 oz silver bar from another TSP member.

TW

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7066 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
We've spent the day canning.  I did a batch of Hares fireballs, except I used green cherry tomatos, hot peppers, sliced carrots and green beans. (7qts) There are 7pts of dilly beans in the canner now, 14qts kraut finished, and we're starting blackberry jam again in about a half hour.
 A freind gave us more cast iron cookware and a heavyyyyyyyyyyy cast iron tea kettle last night. Tomorrow I'll be doing a long overdure rearranging of the stores and piping the root cellar vent pipes. Hopefully I can get the fan istalled too.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7067 on: September 05, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Hardwood or "standard" kingsford/matchlight/etc.?

I use charcoal in my forge, and the hardwood stuff will get up to a much higher temp. with little to no ash, and really heats up the shop quick when you want it to.
Regular Kingsford. Don't need the matchlight with a chimney starter, and for my backyard grilling purposes, I've found the higher temps from the hardwood to be more trouble than they're worth. Although, I can see why it would be of interest to you.

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7068 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
Purchased a replacement blueberry bush, also a nectarine and a peach tree, and 3 muskadine vines. I picked 8 cackle berrys today and 9 yesterday.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7069 on: September 05, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
I put about 4 truck-loads of oak in the basement. Another 6 or 7 loads and I'll be set for the winter. ;)

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #7070 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
Filled the excalibur with apples I cant wait. picked up 300 rounds of 9mm

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #7071 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Bought 10 lbs. of corn flour. I expect the cost to rise soon (or rise more) as the wheat shortages impact the corn supplies.

Cleaned out an upstairs closet of junk and moved part of my preps (food and water, lighting) into it. Jack's advice finally got through to divide your supplies in multiple areas in case of emergency.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #7072 on: September 05, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
seasoned my new 8 qt outdoor dutch oven, plus re-seasoned my one 4 qt and two 2 qt do's.

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
« Reply #7073 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:43 AM »
I tried making a fire with a bow drill, and tried and tried and tried.

I learned that if I had to do this to survive, I'd be dead. So I'm trying again today.

I think my problem is that I get anxious and try to rush it instead of just letting things happen. I do have a question about it though. Once the hearth has turned black, can that same hole be used again, or does a new one need to be carved?

Almost forgot... A fellow prepper visited from out of town, and we exchanged homebrews. He also gave me a bottle of maple wine he made. Thanks again!

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #7074 on: September 06, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Made Sun-Dried Tomatoes in the excalibur dehydrator for the first time.  I used Romas from the garden, and it worked great, but the outside slices (with the most skin) should have been thinner than the inside slices as they took twice as long to dry out.  Even though no real "sun" was involved, they tasted just like the ones we buy. 

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #7075 on: September 06, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
I do have a question about it though. Once the hearth has turned black, can that same hole be used again, or does a new one need to be carved?

Yes, you can use the same hole until you drill through your hearth.  It takes practice.  It usually takes me a couple of tries to get fire with the bow & drill.  It's a skill that takes regular practice. 

Offline neverquitever

• Prepper
    • NeverQuitEver
« Reply #7076 on: September 06, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
Did a little sewing on our machine to cover plates for my LBE vest. Had some fried green tomatoes from the garden. Much better than the store. ;D

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #7077 on: September 06, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Built a new deer rifle.  Savage Edge in .308 $267, Nikon Prostaff 3x9 BDC $129.99, 1 box of Federal Power Shok 150 $11.47 = $408.46  The rifle came with scope bases, and I have rings and a sling.  Not too bad I don't think.  I know that the package deal for the Edge can be found for $399 but I didn't like the scope that came with it.  This is replacing my Remington 700 SPS Varmint.   The 700 was a nice gun for the money, but it was murder in the woods with a 26" heavy barrel.

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7078 on: September 06, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
Not much, picked up 5 gallons of fallen/brusied and rotting pears off the ground and put in my Soldier Fly composter. I also put a 2-1/2 gallon bucket full in the chicken pen for the girls. I picked 8 eggs and sprayed my old garden with roundup. Lawn took it over, I hadn't had a garden in a five years. Dawgus got me motivated!

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #7079 on: September 06, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
Found oil puddle under genny, noticed did not tighten drain plug after last oil change. Ran it for 1hr with a couple fans attached. Straightened shed, grilled home grown beef this evening.