Photobucket

Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 1467496 times)

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #14400 on: November 10, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
Researched seed purchases for next spring.

Helped gut and dress a deer my hunting partner bagged this week. First time seeing/doing it; different than just watching it on YouTube.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S. Lewis

All people - despite artistic pretensions, civilization, and many technologies - owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. - James M. Corven, Basic Soil Improvement for Everyone (1983)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #14401 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »
Add some LTS food to the preps from Emergency Essentials.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14402 on: November 10, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
Got in a load of lye, essential oils, and dried herbs. I will start making my own soap next week. If the shtf I want to be clean and know how to stay that way

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14403 on: November 10, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
Got in a load of lye, essential oils, and dried herbs. I will start making my own soap next week. If the shtf I want to be clean and know how to stay that way

Please start a topic on this and link me to it.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #14404 on: November 10, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »

Helped gut and dress a deer my hunting partner bagged this week. First time seeing/doing it; different than just watching it on YouTube.
I've never done it myself. My dad was a hunter, but I only went with him one time. Now, I wish I went with him every single time. But, it was not to be.

Maybe I will go some time.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #14405 on: November 11, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
got all of the animals tucked in for winter, tucked the hens in twice their stubborn about using the new coop roosting in the snow on the "bones" of the summer coop..hope they take to it tonight or it will be a long week of hauling hens two by two into the coop in the rain/snow..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline Bones

• Survivor
Oh, just bought our homestead, no big whoop.
« Reply #14406 on: November 11, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
The wife and I closed on our dream property this week and started packing for a staged move. 17 acres, large stocked pond, small animal enclosures, large garden area, potting shed/greenhouse, shop, reloading shed, 2 miles outside of a town of 2000. We've dreamed about this move for decades - literally. Worked the plan and got out of debt with our credit score soaring just as interest rates bottomed. Took out a mortgage but should have that paid off within a few years. Found a job 20 minutes away working for my same company - less hours, more pay!

Now, the real work begins. The garden has not been worked on this property in 6 years. No one has cut the gowth in the animal enclosures in about that same time - I've got small trees growing where I plan to put the goats. I figure they'll take care of it by eating it all! Ordered 40 fruit and nut trees from the local greenhouse guy and will be planting those next weekend. The greenhouse roof needs replaced, the reloading shed needs work benches built, the pond needs a duck house (and some ducks), i need to install a water line to the garden area to avoid draggin hose...on and on.

I can't wait to get started! Folks - if I can do this, so can you. Its time to get out of the way of this crashing runaway train that is our economy and position yourselves to mitigate the impact of those forces. The time will never be better than it is right now.
Bones
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."  JFK

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14407 on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
Got some more energizer lithium batteries.

Met with other preppers yesterday (community building)
Having the neighbors (not preppers) over for dinner tonight (community building)
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14408 on: November 11, 2012, 12:56:31 PM »
*** Mods, I know there is a thread on here somewhere about this topic, but in the last hour and 26 pages of search, I could not find it. Please move if you could?***

One of my New Years Resolutions for 2012 was learn more electronic stuff. I was really trying for Ham Radio licensing, but this counts.

As my friend told me yesterday, “I am now up to date with the '90's”. Friday I received a cell phone as a gift from Z, and he had to teach me how to use a cell phone. You might laugh at me that I have never texted on a phone or used one more than a dozen times in my life without someone else dialing it for me, but where I was up in Canada, they did not work due to no cell towers, so it was pretty pointless in having one, then I drug my feet down here as I am at home most of the time with a landline and I just love to escape when I am away from home. Z was worried about me traveling back and forth to his place and the farm... he had to get a new phone, so mine was 1 penny more with his. I am now high tech.

Friday after I received my phone I found Aps. Lots of Aps. Z was pretty much laughing at me, but I wanted to see what was out there and put something worth something to put on my phone. These are the ones I have currently put on there (all of them are free aps) and left to trial for awhile:

Glympse – (my score A)
A nice way to share your location with anyone for a specified period of time. My friends showed me this when they were driving from Tennessee to Florida and it was kinda nice to see where they were on the road and how fast they were going. It actually puts them on the map of where they were at the time. I put it on my cell as I can see a lot of good reasons for it but only have it for specific people I am heading to their house. 

Emergency Radio Free -  (my score A)
Extensive database of live police, fire, EMS, railroad, air traffic, train, NOAA weather, coast guard, HAM radio, and other frequencies. Tune in to everything from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to the New York Fire Department (FDNY). It is very much like my Radio Reference that I like to use on my laptop, but I think this one is easier to use.

MKA Alerts  (my score C-D)
The Natural Disaster Alerts Map application is free and displays the locations of and information about recent earthquakes, tropical cyclones, volcanic activity and floods that have occurred around the globe. Select an item on the map to receive general information. I am not too keen on this one, but am trialing it anyway. However it will probably get deleted.

Find iPhone -  (not sure yet on a score as I have not lost my iPhone yet)
Self explanatory

Elerts  (my score C at this time)
If you’re on the scene of an emergency, you can supposedly help 1st Responders by sending a first-hand report – a photo can really help them evaluate what’s happening. ELERTS™ ap owners can relay the warning message to friends and family using their social media networks, helping to get the word out to people who may be in harm’s way.

Disaster Check In (my score C-B)
A program which supposedly lets you tell your friends and family where you are and if you are ok.  I have not used it yet.

SAS Survival Lite (my score A)
SAS Survival Lite is the free version of the complete SAS Survival Guide. It is pretty sweet. I suggest it for newbies and experienced people alike.

MyAltitude (my score C-B)
I think it works???? I have not gone anywhere but the valley currently, so have not gained much in elevation or found mountain summit markers/train depot signs telling the elevation yet. However it says +/- 19 meters it could be out, so see below on Commander Compass Lite which I think I like better.

Coleman Camping Cookbook (my score A)
Just wish there were more recipes. But it is an excellent start and I really and trying a few of them. They also give you different cooking methods as well as ingredients and more.

Radiation Worldwide 2012 (my score C-B)
It is not as user friendly as the one I had on my old computer (which died a tragic death recently 7due to apple juice), but I can see it being useful. I know when Fukashima problem was in the early days I could read charts indicating we had some of the radiation here in Oregon. There is another ap out there, but you have to get another doohickie to go with it, to turn your cell into a meter. I will look more into that one of these days.

e-Food Storage (my score C-A)
I like this. I love being able to scan items in and out. I see high potential for this ap. I may be wrong, but I DO NOT like that all your stuff seems to be stored online and you have to be online in order to use it. Can anyone else see it? OPSEC risk? Anyone else know much about this? If my pantry data is not stored online somewhere, I am cool with this. Score C if it is online and Score A if it is not.

GoToAid lite (my score A)
Nice little 'pocket book' full of first aid, disaster, natural disasters before, during and after for people with little to moderate skills. I also like it in case I am tired or questioning myself as a backup. It also has Morse Code which I think I like better than the other AP mentioned below. It also has all the emergency numbers for LOTS AND LOTS of countries. COUNTRIES, not counties.

Disaster Alert (my score A)
I like this disaster alert program better than the other two listed above. It updates more frequently. Has more information. I will probably delete the other two programs. I have another disaster program on my laptop and this one is not as good as the one on my laptop. But it is good for a free ap.

Flashlight – It works, but not sure I can score a flashlight.

Alltrails (my score B until I can play with it a bit more)
40,000 trails & reviews. Tells elevation gains, distance, driving to the trailhead directions.

Maps with Me (my score A)
Offline maps of all the countries of the world. Was kinda difficult to find OFFLINE maps. So this way if you are out of cell tower range, you can still find your way (should still have a paper map in my opinion however)

Morse Code (my score D-C)
I like the one in the GoToAid lite ap much better

Leaf Snap (my score B)
At first I did not like this ap as it only has trees in it, now I kinda like it.

Wild Edibles Lite (my score A)
It doesn't have as many plants in it as I was hoping, but then again I used to teach wild edible foods classes for 10 years. I like that he has recipes, nutrition, medical, poisonous lookalikes. How to harvest and more. Great free ap.

Sun Seeker Lite (my score A)
It provides a FLAT VIEW SOLAR COMPASS showing the solar path, its hour intervals and elevation, winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times and other details. I especially like the satelitte map overlay. It will help me out at the new farm.

Wiki How Survival (my score A)
I am not sure if I will ever have to control a spooked camel, but there is a lot of good things in here.

iBird Lite (my score A)
I have enjoyed birdwatching since I was 6 and I toted the Peterson's guide around with me everywhere. This I like for the bird calls and more. It could be applied for prepper stuff too.

Rogers Mushrooms  (my score C-B)
This is a handy little Ider, but I like my books better. I am not sure I trust it for when I am actually foraging and having a question on something, but as a pocket ID for fun, I like it.

NWMflowers (my score C-B)
Good as a ID reference, but Wild Edibles Lite is much better for being a wild edible food guide. I like these kinds of flower guides when I go hiking too however. For just an ID guide, I would give it a A score, but wish it had more flowers in it.

Gas Buddy (my score A)
I like the maps, I like it tells the mileage to the station.

Commander Compass Lite (my score A)
It has the artificial horizon on it, degrees, I think it has the elevation on it and if it does, it is better than the Altimeter mentioned above. I may get rid of the other altimeter ap, although it is prettier and easier to read.

Chem Safety (my score B-A)
After seeing a video that someone posted on one of my newsgroups about a chemical spill and a police officer heading to the victim laying in the middle of the roadway, the fumes from the chemicals overcame him and you literally watched him die from his dashboard cam, I decided this might be a good idea as I will always assist in an accident. I used to have HUGE books in my home from my ex who did Hazmat stuff and this ap makes finding things so much easier. Nice to have with me in case there is a chemical spill on the roadway. If I had to choose between this ap and the one just below, this would be the one to go however.

Placard Plus Free (my score A)
I like this chemical placard program as well. I think it will go well with the other one, so I can justify two of them. This one seems to be a bit more user friendly and more information including first aid rendering. So if I had to choose one between this and the one above, this one would be the keeper.

New Holland Agriculture Weather (my score A)
My new favorite weather ap.

Bayer Weed Spotter (my score B)
Most wild edibles are weeds. This is a nice handy reference to grasses and broadleaf weeds. I like that is shows the plants in many grow stages.

I have two other ways of charging it other than plugging it into a wall or my laptop. I can also solar or handcrank charge it in case of an emergency.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14409 on: November 11, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Grabbed all the little hotel bottles of shampoo, etc., on a recent business trip and will take them out to the BOL.  OK, not a huge prep, but still a prep.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #14410 on: November 11, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
Finally got around to putting all my vision-related stuff (contact lenses, cases, glasses, drops, etc) into one kit/place.

Stocked up on lids and rings for jarring (big sale at Home Depot).

Restocked my gasoline stores.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S. Lewis

All people - despite artistic pretensions, civilization, and many technologies - owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. - James M. Corven, Basic Soil Improvement for Everyone (1983)

Offline F15CrewChief

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Whoever dies with the most toys wins!
« Reply #14411 on: November 11, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
Decided to learn a new skill today and split wood.

I've had a splitting maul sitting around for god knows how long and decided to put it to use.

I walked a couple doors down to my neighbors house who recently had a tree come down in the yard and someone else graciously cut it up for them, but they were still left with all the logs in the yard. I offered to split it for them if they would share some but they had no intrerest in keeping it and told me to take as much as I want.

Splitting wood is definitely an art form! It took me quite a while to learn how to "let" the ax do the work for you.

I dont have a fireplace in my house, but my outdoor fire pit is just begging to be used again!

Also, my arms are sore now.

That is all.

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #14412 on: November 11, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »
Rotated a couple of gas cans. Watched my two oldest sons assemble a deer stand and DW tried a new recipe for spahgetti squash. I replaced my worn out streamlight stylus pro with another. They must going out of manufacture I paid $17.00 for it at academy when 2 years ago it cost $27.00
At the top Of every EDC list
1. Situational Awareness
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14413 on: November 11, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
Had the neighbors over for dinner as a bit of community building.  The conversation ended up on prepping  due to some stuff left out and they were interested and receptive.  Score!

They have no idea how prepared we are, but every little bit they do is something that I wont need to help them with if it comes to it.  If nothing else its more people to pull security.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14414 on: November 11, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
Cedar - I hope Z indicated data charges, and download fees.  I had a smart phone once - but something about getting my butt fired if I brought that phone to work made me re-think that option.  Also one of my customers has that no camera cell phone policy too.  So so what use is a nifty phone if you have to keep it in your car? 

I guess I am way too cheap for a high end phones, I just can't see paying 50 dollars extra for that fun to use feature.  Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to pay for the tech, I just have issues with the monthly data fees and the fact that I only use my cell phone about twice a month.

I spent a bit of quality time with some slick stream lube and my newly built 22lr.  At least now I can get the rifle to load 22lr ammo without jamming.  You just got to love snap caps when you need to test fit some hardware without having to go to the range.  I am still worried about tolerance stacking due to the parts I selected for the build.    With a bit of luck I can schedule some range time to do some plinking at the indoor range to start the break in process on this barrel.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14415 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
I guess I am way too cheap for a high end phones, I just can't see paying 50 dollars extra for that fun to use feature.  Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to pay for the tech, I just have issues with the monthly data fees and the fact that I only use my cell phone about twice a month.

Actually, this summer we got our 13 yo daughter her first phone since she's now doing a little more without us close by.  We got her a Virgin Mobile USA month by month plan that costs only $35/mo and offers 300 minutes of talk time and unlimited text messaging and data downloading.  Pretty cheap if you ask me, for all that her smart phone can do and I don't have to commit to a long term contract (just 30 days). 
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #14416 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »
Finally got around to putting all my vision-related stuff (contact lenses, cases, glasses, drops, etc) into one kit/place.

Stocked up on lids and rings for jarring (big sale at Home Depot).

Restocked my gasoline stores.
Cool! I am heading to my home depot in the morning. Jarden ( the lid manufacture)says they are good for 3 years shelf life.

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #14417 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
Saturday, I went to our local gun show, and bought a used Keltek PF 9. Looking forward to shooting it Monday or Tuesday.
Today, I was invited to a meeting of people interested in preparednes. there first meeting. I was really impressed how many people are waking up. I was able to share TSP with them. So many ofthemwere younger people. We have more meetings planned to share ideas. Best of all, my daughter invited me to this, and is getting into being prpared. I will sleep better tonight!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #14418 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Cedar - I hope Z indicated data charges, and download fees. 

The phones are switched off for uploading data and such when we are not on wireless, so apparently we don't get charged for it. It was a yucky disgusting weekend, so we were 3-toed sloths on Sunday and had a rare day of relaxing, movie watching, naps and ap uploading.

Cedar

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14419 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
...It was a yucky disgusting weekend, so we were 3-toed sloths on Sunday and had a rare day of relaxing, movie watching, naps and ap uploading.

Cedar

WHAT?!?!?!?! OK, Cedar not working on some project? TEOTWAWKI is here..... OK, false alarm, there was "ap uploading". Whew....

Put 5 ricks of wood up.
Arranged for 5 more ricks next weekend.
Cleaned out garage for said wood
Made class notes for next prepper class and prepping with kids classes
Rebuilt computer after massive fail. (i didn't pay someone to do it this time)
Added more nesting boxes for the hens
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14420 on: November 12, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
I started to build more hearing aids yesterday.
i buy the cheap Walgreen's units and put a battery box on them with speaker wire .
So a 9.99 unit plus a double A  battery box is 2.15 plus 2 double A's is .54
that EQUIALS 34 DAYS OF HEARING  for .54 cents
We can get 30 to 48 days out of a set of double A's , and we have gotten up to 20 recharges out of some of the re chargables .
next i think ill rework some walk way lights to charge up my battery's .

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #14421 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
Since the last time I posted here…

I went on a job interview last week, for a job that would come with a 50% pay increase — but would force me to buy my own health insurance for me and the kids. THANK YOU SO MUCH OBAMA for helping those who can't afford health insurance by telling us we GET FINED for not being able to afford it, and creating a climate where businesses are dropping coverage for employees like mine just did. You are helping us so much.

PRICK

Anyway, getting prepared for this interview forced me to get some things done that will make FUTURE interviews much less stressful now that my job search, and the search for an employer that offers REAL health insurance is fully underway. I got more pieces into my online portfolio, my "power suit" all clean and pressed, interview preparation work that applies to future interviews etc. The first one you go on is always the hardest one to prepare for — especially if it has been a year since you went on one.

On the home-front…

I picked up 3 copies of the sunday paper yesterday to cut coupons for my new (4th attempt) at keeping a coupon binder for my grocery shopping! I need to keep a reminder to NOT leave the stupid thing in a shopping cart or lose it like I have the last 3 times I got serious about this stuff.

After a few more weeks, I will be back in the swing as I already have a system down that keeps me from spending a ridiculous amount of time grocery shopping and preparing for it (these dumb extreme couponers on TV who spend 80hrs a week GROCERY SHOPPING could probably do better for themselves having a JOB). Granted, I am not getting $4,000 worth of groceries for $.50 cents — but I have usually been able to save 50% on my grocery bill when I use coupons.

I have become so technology oriented that after "cutting the cord" from the cable company for internet and switching to a portable 4G wifi hotspot with unlimited bandwidth — I had forgotten that you can still get TV channels for free from the AIR! I picked up an inexpensive HD antenna from Wally World, came home and found I pick up about 20 +/- channels in crystal clear HD. So I can at least watch the local propaganda ministry news reports from 2 of the 3 major networks. I have never lived in a house in this city (and I've lived all over the place) where you could get ALL of the local TV stations over the airways. The terrain is way too hilly for that. Where I grew up, you could get the stations from 4 different cities all at once because it was so flat.

So after "cutting the cord" I am saving over $100 a month over what I was paying the cable company before for internet and TV, and I have a portable connection I can take anywhere, Netflix, and a Roku box that gets TONS and TONS of free content. I also have my iMac set up as a Plex media server through the Roku box which opens up even more free content from the internet — and I have found that I can stream or watch "on-demand" content from at least HALF of the Cable TV stations I used to PAY for — FREE.

There are other methods for getting a lot more free content, but they are not what one would call "legal" using your computer / roku box, etc etc.

That was one of the best decisions I have made and I did not miss having 200 channels of NOTHING to begin with, but was reluctant to give up a fast internet connection. I have been nothing but pleased as can be with my new portable wifi device. The speed is not as good, but for most purposes I am completely happy with that. I can stream HD movies to my TV from Netflix no problem, so it is not THAT slow.

It has ALMOST gotten to the point where I could run my whole entertainment system off of a BATTERY — for those of you interested in low-power options for your off-grid needs.

Now, granted this is not "beans, band-aids, and bullets" — but I did find that in the few months I did not have TV whatsoever while I was experimenting with options that there were days I was in a bad mood and having a TV to vegetate in front of for a day of "down time" comes in handy.

Since I weigh myself every day in the morning and track my weight (a method I have found that keeps me in check) I have been dreading what was going to happen when my digital scale shorted out from bathroom moisture and stopped working. A friend of mine hooked me up with one of those fancy new models that track your BMI, H20 content, and weight with these metal sensors etc for FREE the other day, and wouldn't you know — my scale started working perfectly again the day I got this new scale. So, now I have redundancy when it comes to that. They are consistently 2lbs off and I think my original one is more accurate since I have shipped several items and it has always been exactly the same as the post office's weight, down to 1/10th of a pound. I am surprised the fancier new one is 2lbs off.

I see some people making fun of the "coffee shop" people — and yes, it is a tad absurd to spend $4/$5 a pop on coffee drinks. I wholeheartedly agree with that one. However, I have found that spending $10 - $15 a night to have a "branch office" where I can sit and do my work without the distractions of home has made me MUCH MUCH more productive than I would be working from my "office-cle" at home. Maybe it was because I spent 6 years working from my home office that has put that in me, but I find that I have absolutely no energy when I come home from this job that I hate every day, yet when I go to the coffee shop for 4-6 hours at night 3 +/- days a week I get MUCH more accomplished. SO, I may be spending $45 a week on "coffee drinks" — but having a remote office would cost me at least $300/mo for a "dive-office" and I would still not get as much done. I started doing this when other friends of mine were telling me they had similar experiences.

If I end up with a job and get a 50% pay increase from it, which is my goal, the "coffee shopping" will stop and I will end up better off in the end. I still will not spend $5 a day on coffee drinks unless I have a reason to be in the actual coffee shop.

I can't think of any more "prepping" that I may have done over the last week, and even though these are fairly weak vs those of you who "canned 30 cans of meat" last weekend — it still makes me realize that even when I believe I have done NOTHING, that I am still always up to something I can put on a positive note and feel like I accomplished a little bit.

I don't think anyone would doubt that going after a better paying job for the sake of getting out of debt and not struggling financially is a bad way to be spending my time.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #14422 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
*** Mods, I know there is a thread on here somewhere about this topic, but in the last hour and 26 pages of search, I could not find it. Please move if you could?***
Cedar
Cedar - You might be thinking of the thread about just the iPhone and the apps.. 

Since the last time I posted here…

I went on a job interview last week, for a job that would come with a 50% pay increase — but would force me to buy my own health insurance for me and the kids. THANK YOU SO MUCH OBAMA for helping those who can't afford health insurance by telling us we GET FINED for not being able to afford it, and creating a climate where businesses are dropping coverage for employees like mine just did. You are helping us so much.

PRICK

Yup,...  Friend of mine told me Friday that he has to look for new insurance because his is being terminated..  The company is closing.  He's self employed so that will be fun for him.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14423 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
Cedar - You might be thinking of the thread about just the iPhone and the apps.. 

I think this is the link....

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7175.0

Cedar, bet you find even more to download...LOL, you know more apps, more ideas, more projects...
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #14424 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks Rikkrack. I have NO idea why that was so difficult for me to find.

Cedar

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14425 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Our two older sons inspected/cleaned the flue and outdoor wood furnace and got it started up for the first time this winter while hubby and co-worker have gone deer hunting, and daughter and I made homemade bread.  Two youngest sons have been a bit under the weather, so spent much of the day in their room studying and quizzing each other on the US Constitution. 

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #14426 on: November 12, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »
Canned and additional nine pint and 2 quart jars of apple sauce.
Have forty pineapple slices in the dehydrator.
Watched several episodes of doomsday preppers.
Planned four routes to get the wife home from work or me to her on foot if the need ever arises.  Will test one rout on foot next week.  Need to get some boot inserts and break them in.

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14427 on: November 13, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
Composed  and printed a guide with hard to remember survival and preparedness data (i.e. soap recipes, hand signals etc)

I am starting a document with all commercial shortwave stations that transmit in English (/station/location/time/freq/signal strength etc)...

wish me luck they are 1489 listings!
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #14428 on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Yesterday I got certified in CPR and AED.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14429 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
Ordered some first aid supplies.
Replenished some preps used over the pas t 2 weeks.
Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.