Photobucket

Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 1588672 times)

Offline Thunderhawkburner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #14520 on: November 24, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
My fiancee and I have been buying eggs, produce, chicken and some beef from the "egg lady" down the road a spell. (She started out selling eggs.)  Today we went and helped her butcher 76 chickens.  I am now confident of the butchering process and much more aware of the layout and setup that our (future) summer kitchen will need.  We are started on our 13 in 13 already!

Thunderhawk

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14521 on: November 24, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
Yesterday DH and middle-middle child dispatched/skinned/eviscerated two young roosters and two extra drakes from the barn lot bunch, and I finished cleaning them and put them in the fridge to rest.  Today I vacuum packed the birds and put them in the freezer, and  then ground up the leftover turkey and set the carcass boiling on the stove for turkey broth, while DH and two middle sons went out and cut/split/stacked almost a cord of wood.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14522 on: November 25, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Checked all my knives (fixed and folding) for rust.  None detected.   :D

Will be building shelving at the BOL today.   :D

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #14523 on: November 25, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
Well it was yesterday, but I posted in the wrong thread, so...

Yeah, some days I'm blonder than others.

Anyway, I renewed my Ham license online.  Also corrected the name and address which hasn't been the ones on record since... 2003.  I'm not so good on the record keeping, so I'm working on fixing that.

I added it to a binder that I have with all of the relevant numbers and info I might need.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Prepper
    • My 13 in 13 list!
« Reply #14524 on: November 25, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
First, I want to Say THANK YOU to Bulkammo.com for a fast delivery of 223rds. I have them and they are stored.  Today, we picked up four(4) 250 gal. totes for our garden water system FOR FREE. We plan on picking up two more and cutting them in half to make mini green houses for our 4x4 sqft gardens. Got to love it when a plan comes together.

Stay Safe!
"Don't give up the ship!"               "Live Free or Die"

KC1AXB

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14525 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
At the local grocery store here in Killeen, Tx., they have a buy one 16 count AA or AAA Duracell battery pack and get one free sale. Needless to say, I stocked up on both!  Also bought a new State of Texas map for my prep room wall.

Offline NO2ANWO

• Prepper
« Reply #14526 on: November 25, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
Recieved my Christmas gift early, yesterday i picked out and my wife bought me an Olympic Arms AR15

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14527 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:39 PM »

Recieved my Christmas gift early, yesterday i picked out and my wife bought me an Olympic Arms AR15

Nice!  They're made in Olympia, WA y'know...

I got some more grub:

That's a week or two of food for under $100.  Gee, I coulda spent it on beer and wings and watched the Seahawks lose today.

I also put in some shelves in the shed.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:04:46 PM by Heavy G »

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

ShaggySurvivalist

« Reply #14528 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
Cut down several trees.  That will open up the area where my new garden will be going in soon and gives me a start on firewood for next year.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #14529 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
I made my 5th batch of laundry soap,  I experimented a little with it.  Used double the water when melting down the fels naptha.  This worked much better.  The final product was much more smooth and consistent with less separation. 
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline MattR

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14530 on: November 26, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
A week ago our house was broken into for the 2nd time in two years while the wife and I were at work.  The violation you feel is incredible.  >:(  This time we determined the B&E occurred during the time that my wife and two young daughters normally get home at the end of the day however just by chance this particular day they had to stop by the grocery store for some quick items.  My wife was definitely slapped in the face with reality this time and she was scared.  She realized that if she had walked in on someone they would have two choices to make "Fight or Flight" and thank God it didn't turn out differently.  She now has shown interest in getting her concealed weapons permit which makes me happy however I'm saddened that it took this event to make her realize the cruel world.

Since the B&E, I've done a few things to prep.  I've added some deterant security system yard signs, window stickers, and "Beware of dog" signs.  In order to validate the dog signs, I purchased up two German Shepherd puppies as our old yellow lab is too much of a kind hearted baby.  We had been planning on adding a new dog to the family however this event just expedited the action.  I've also ordered some one-way transparency window film for one particularly vulnerable access point to our house where people can easily see in.  Finally I researched survelliance camera systems and consulted a friend in loss prevention at a large nationwide clothing store and reviewed what they use and how they use it.  I've since determined where the cameras will be placed outside our house and have ordered a good quality system on-line and not a cheapy from the local yokel stores.  As the Michigan State trooper said, you can't stop the violations from occurring however you can try and catch the bastards that have violated your home.

I feel your pain.  I too was broken into 20 years ago and the feeling of being violated never goes away. I still double and triple check the doors at night.   Let us know how your camera system works.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is considering this option.

Offline MattR

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14531 on: November 26, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
Over the weekend, I put together my Berkey water filter, finished my greenhouse (6x8 from Harbor Freight), tested my generators, installed the ATI Strikeforce Elite stock for my AK (fit flawlessly), made up a list of guns we own with serial numbers in case any of them ever get stolen and had discussions with family over numerous topics.  With my father-in-law, he couldn't understand why everyone is getting their conceal and carry.  He's 80+ and doesn't really see what's going on, which doesn't make sense since he watches the news all the time, which was another discussion we had.  My brother told me that he was buying 10oz silver bars.  I asked him why and he didn't answer.  After asking numerous times, he finally told me that he didn't feel comfortable with the economy and the dollar.  He's the same person that was giving me trouble months ago saying that nothing was going to happen and that I was just jumping to conclusions. Maybe he saw that I had TSP in my facebook page and he started listening.  Don't give up on anyone, they will eventually come around to the realization that we are heading down the path of no return.  Even an employee today said that he was looking at a house with 11 acres so he can garden and have chickens.  People are finally waking up.  All it takes is a little comment now and then to get them thinking.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14532 on: November 26, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Ordered some "maintenance" supplies for some noise makers.

Also listened to the Big "G" talk about me on Gun Dudes although he had no idea as I am "Joe in New York".
Which is not really prepping but I thought it was kinda funny.

This weekend I picked up some tubs for organization and storage.
Picked up a spare head lamp at lunch and a couple for friends.
Marinade, helping you enjoy your steak, if the steak gets tough or even If it don't. :)

"Go forth and be manly!" - T.Ghee

So I have power and underwear.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14533 on: November 26, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
Butchered a doe today. Working on getting the husband to agree to watch the kids tomorrow so I can hunt again.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Oldhomestead

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14534 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Picked up a Gas oven set up for propane and yet one more 20# tank for the back porch. Took a bit to find the connectors, but we were able to use it during Thanksgiving. It's completely non-electric so we can now cook when we lose power.
frugalcountrymom's Chief Idea Implementer

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #14535 on: November 26, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
Butchered a doe today. Working on getting the husband to agree to watch the kids tomorrow so I can hunt again.
Careful Cheryl - You are making a good number of men jealous..

Visited the show over the weekend and picked up a Mosin M44 - Several people stated that the are not being imported anymore - I need to find out why.  It's in good condition and will complement my meager closet.  Already looking for parts and such for the long hall.  Also helped my FIL make a 9 shelf system for cans.  Each shelf will hold 14 cans.  Turned around and loaded it for him as he had gotten 8 or 9 flats recently.

Looking at Food Saver gear now.  I need to get a new one that will allow me to dry can beans, salt, sugar and candy.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline cptd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14536 on: November 28, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
Today I did two significant things. One, I was at the local grocery store and to my delight they had a buy-one-get-one deal on jars of Nutella. I bought 2.3 metric crap-tons of it. If you've never had Nutella, try it and I gurantee you'll want to stock up too.

More significantly, right now I'm in North Georgia giving my daughter her first practical exercise in celestial navigation, and right now she's sitting behind the fire doing her exercises. She just turned 7 and is pretty good at navigating with the electronics, so I figured it was about time she learned how to do it the right way. Got a little emotional about it when I handed her the sextant that I learned on when I was her age, and she makes the 5th generation of sailors in my family to learn on that very sextant.

If she drops it I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #14537 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
Moved a ton of half composted straw and alfalfa into the front gardens, culled three mean roos and skinned them out instead of plucking, hunted down heritage hog breeders that are willing to fly pigs to me..cooked another meal on the woodstove and put 20 ancona duck eggs in the incubator.. and made sure to hop on here :)
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14538 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:20 AM »
More significantly, right now I'm in North Georgia giving my daughter her first practical exercise in celestial navigation, and right now she's sitting behind the fire doing her exercises. She just turned 7 and is pretty good at navigating with the electronics, so I figured it was about time she learned how to do it the right way. Got a little emotional about it when I handed her the sextant that I learned on when I was her age, and she makes the 5th generation of sailors in my family to learn on that very sextant.

Beyond cool. +1

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #14539 on: November 29, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
6.5 hours OT today.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #14540 on: November 29, 2012, 01:06:59 AM »
Finished transcribing EPISODE-1005- STEVEN HARRIS ON EVERYTHING GENERATORS PART 2 OF 2
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=38730.new#new

while I learned a lot, what is more important is that I beat Steve to his December Battery episode.   :P
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14541 on: November 29, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »

while I learned a lot, what is more important is that I beat Steve to his December Battery episode.   :P

Did the same thing last night. Just couldn't wait. While killing time in local farm store, picked up a battery case (think small rubbermade container, lid, and outlets for cables already formed into plastic) in the auto section of the store. Made to replace your battery box in your car.

Bought a small float charger at Harbor Freight. Had a spare battery from a junked car. Bought inverter based on Harris's recommendations and mounted to the lid of the  battery box.

Two extension cords (on sale due to holidays) and outlet splitters (also on sale for holidays) and bam.

Plugged it in and it stays charged. Now, when we have power outage just grab box, and we are ready to go.  When battery power is low, move the inverter to cars and continue (why mounting to lid was important, is now mobile). Power back on, recharge battery.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14542 on: November 29, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
rikkrack, what size inverter did you use?  Pictures are nice...

I have been needing to do something like that, but for a small 12v pump to spray water out of a barrel to clean fine dust/debris out of tractor radiator while brush hogging.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14543 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
1000W. Harris recommended a 800W I think on his site, and i just went a bit bigger JIK. I will post pics later tonight. Should have taken them earlier.

I will make another with wife's inverter (I bought 2, one for each vehicle, 2 is 1, 1 is none) and start a thread with all pics along the way.

We also have a small generator, but this is quiet and took notes from the posts other TSPers had on going through Sandy. What worked well, what didn't and what whey would do differently. Really good posts from some of the guys out there.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14544 on: November 29, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
I went to the gun shop today.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #14545 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
Worked more overtime and didn't spend money on gas station food.

Seriously, that's a major problem for me.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14546 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
So I put it all together tonight sorry for poor photo quality. I have 10 outlets ready at any time. Big thanks goes to Steve Harris. I had the pieces in my head and it all came together after hearing him speak. Mobile power. Total cost around 150. After battery dies, I just connect to cars for power.

www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #14547 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
on top of the day job i have some side work in the area that got flooded from hurricane issac. finished the demo today. just gotta wait for him to pressure wash the house so we can start putting in the romex. i may have 2 more houses coming up as well. hurricanes are great for side work
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14548 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »
Ground up two more deer, and waiting for hubby to get home (he's on his way) so we can get some more of the new goat fencing put up before the rain sets in. Although I hate that we probably won't get as much done as oldest son is pulling a late shift, and next oldest son is helping a friend get his barn roof done, so we're two bodies short right out the gate, and then I had to go and pop a rib out again, plus broke a toe the other day (it's still swollen and black/blue to almost the middle of my foot) and so I'm still having to walk a bit gingerly. Oh well...C'est la vie.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14549 on: November 30, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I rotated the gasoline stores and picked up a few extra LTS items at the grocery store on sale.