Photobucket

Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 1435664 times)

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #14820 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »
Working on planning and researching my spring/summer projects which will include a new rain catch system, format of the garden, and composting for starters. Also working on my family documentation. Winter is great for getting the planning things out of the way while it is cold and snowy out. ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14821 on: January 05, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »
Getting mentally ready for civil unrest.  I am talking to people I know who have experience and a track record of being right about things on the topic of how things will play out. 

I have detailed plans for how to handle full-on SHTF.  But I am now mentally working up how I will handle the beginning phases of SHTF, when there are pockets of civil unrest but live appears to be normal where I live - the in-between phase from peacetime to SHTF.  This is the phase in which I think the most important decisions will be made.  The best example of these decisions is when to bug out.

So now I'm planning routes and analyzing in detail what point it is that I start doing the run-up-to-SHTF things.  These include when I start carrying all the time, when I start carrying a long gun in my car, how I get my family routine places safely like my wife's work and the grocery store, when I quit going to work, when to bug in (at least temporarily), and when to bug out. 

My big decision point is when do I start doing overt things (like drive my wife to work when I'm armed and she knows it) so that I'm not accused of "over reacting" but I'm still doing the things that need to be done before it's too late.  The same mental process applies to bugging out - when is it a good idea to take off so I'm not "over reacting" but I'm not too late.

There might not be any solid answers now, in advance of what's coming.  It will all depend on the facts of the situation.  But I can start the mental process now so I'm not inventing the wheel when I need to make quick decisions.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #14822 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:59 AM »
Getting mentally ready for civil unrest.  I am talking to people I know who have experience and a track record of being right about things on the topic of how things will play out.

Having been through the LA riots, which were at least not widespread, I honestly hope your friends' instincts are wrong.  I don't see any of it where I am, and the past week my routes were in areas where that kind of thing might start (in a different state from you), but I could just be completely oblivious.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14823 on: January 05, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
Acquired gun & pistol cabinet, Beretta Px4 Storm 17rd 9mm + ammo.
De-cluttering: got rid of pickup load of no longer used and low value redundant items.
Many quarts of homemade soup in the freezer and canned.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14824 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
I received a nice e-mail that the taxcut software I use on Amazon is discounted.  With a bit of luck, this might be the last year I get to itemize my taxes because my home loan is down to about 2 years left. 

I spent a few more hours on my 2013 Goals for the year on getting better organized.   Mostly I have been working on my old reloading setup and taking a good inventory of what I have; what I need, and what I should buy when and if I spot it on sale.  Other than some additional large rifle primers I have all my basics covered.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #14825 on: January 05, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »

The non-fiscal cliff deal and the stupid idea to mint a $2 trillion coin should be spooking the market, but the market loves it.

We are not there yet in Houston, but that does not mean I am not continuing to prep.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14826 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »

I have noticed over the last week that the tone of social media has changed. Instead of "call your congressman and educate your neighbor", I'm seeing more posts alluding to how long are we going to wait to revolt, and somebody should start taking out so-and-so. From multiple random sources, not just one or two angry white guys. So, I am also getting mentally ready, as well as stepping up my preps so I don't get caught unawares.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #14827 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
No range day today. Too rainy this morning to hang paper targets. Tomorrow looks to be much better. I'll do some other things:

-Pack up the Xmas tree and take down the Xmas lights (my wife will appreciate that since she wanted it done on New Year's Day.)
-Season that old cast iron skillet my wife had tucked away (SCORE)
-Work on another of my 13 Skills (knot tying is a good indoor activity)

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14828 on: January 05, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
This is saying that your sources are looking at specific stimuli that would precipitate civil unrest. Are they saying that it is to come as a reaction to what the government is doing, the economy, societal?

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14829 on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »

I have detailed plans for how to handle full-on SHTF.  But I am now mentally working up how I will handle the beginning phases of SHTF, when there are pockets of civil unrest but live appears to be normal where I live - the in-between phase from peacetime to SHTF.  This is the phase in which I think the most important decisions will be made.  The best example of these decisions is when to bug out.

So now I'm planning routes and analyzing in detail what point it is that I start doing the run-up-to-SHTF things.  These include when I start carrying all the time, when I start carrying a long gun in my car, how I get my family routine places safely like my wife's work and the grocery store, when I quit going to work, when to bug in (at least temporarily), and when to bug out. 

This is saying that your sources are looking at specific stimuli that would precipitate civil unrest. Are they saying that it is to come as a reaction to what the government is doing, the economy, societal?

I have the same concerns.  My wife, a little more than myself, is getting very uncomfortable with what she is reading and hearing as of late.

Anyone have a predicted timeline if these "experienced" people are correct or even close?
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14830 on: January 05, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
Maybe we need a new thread where Heavy G can explain himself.  :)
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14831 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
Maybe we need a new thread where Heavy G can explain himself.  :)

Darn toot'n . . .  He's got me curious as to what these guys told him, especially if he can provide reference material.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #14832 on: January 05, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »
Seeds? Whattcha get?

Cedar

Tomato:
Abe Lincoln, Mortage Lifter, Big Red, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim
Okra
Crookneck Squash,
Green Squash

This is just a start.  Still trying to plan out the garden.

Offline damaged110

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14833 on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
Found a local sorce for food grade barrels. bought 5 to start my rain gather set up, stopped by costco and picked up a few items.
got a new get home bag for x-mas and starting transferring everthing today. also started The annual preventative maint. on my BOV. 

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14834 on: January 05, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »
Darn toot'n . . .  He's got me curious as to what these guys told him, especially if he can provide reference material.
I have a hard time accepting what information a source is revealing, 3rd party, unless I can be given reference points. What are they looking at? What should I be looking at?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14835 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
With regards to "info"...

Follow the motive, which often mean money.  What's in it for someone to share something?

There are authors/bloggers./media hoping to peddle material (Alex Jones, Doomsday Preppers, etc.
There are freaks seeking attention (extreme cases call in fake bomb threats, etc.).
Some people genuinely care about their fellow man, and want to help. (Heavy G)

You can decide what that pie chart looks like depending on your level of cynicism.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14836 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
Tomato:
Abe Lincoln, Mortage Lifter, Big Red, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim

If you have never had "Black Krim", it is the UGLIEST BEST TASTING tomato ever.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #14837 on: January 05, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
Mmmmm, Black Krim Tomatoes...

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #14838 on: January 05, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
  • Picked up 3 water barrels for the farm
  • Picked up one burning barrel for the farm
  • Started the basement and it is a huge hole currently
  • Hooked up the fence for the horse pasture

Cedar

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14839 on: January 05, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Some people genuinely care about their fellow man, and want to help. (Heavy G)

I fall into that category.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14840 on: January 06, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »
I fall into that category.

Actually, I think we have a higher than normal amount of people here that do.

It's just part of a different mindset.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #14841 on: January 06, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Went to the range today and shot my Kahr PM9, new Glock 19, 870 with reflex sight and new M&P15 OR (iron sights).

It went OK. I found it difficult to sight in the AR with new iron sights. I just am not that great at 50 yards with iron sights. Perhaps there are those that can group 80% of their shots in a 6" circle. Of course, this was my first time ever to shoot the AR, so I cannot judge myself to harshly! ;-)

Full range report pending.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14842 on: January 06, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »
Started another couple hundred plus veg seeds: Hot Peppers, Sweet Peppers, Aubergines, Broccoli, Celery, Swiss Chard, Cauliflower, Kale, Rhubarb, plus a few herbs.  I still have last years broccoli plants in the garden, although they are done for now, I believe. I picked the last few Brussels sprouts the day before yesterday, and have been feeding the remaining broccoli/Brussels sprout/kohlrabi/cabbage stalks to the goats, chickens and ducks...they really enjoy the bit of extra green this time of year. Pulled a few turnips for dinner and saw that the deer are making short work of them, pulling them up and leaving many with just huge bites taken out of them. Those half eaten ones aren't going to waste, though, as I've been chopping them up and feeding them to the goats, as well as boiling some for the barnyard fowl.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #14843 on: January 06, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Split a 500-round case of 7.62X39 with my buddy...supplies are still fine here in Canada but we are worried about shortages down in the U.S. affecting us here.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." - C.S. Lewis

All people - despite artistic pretensions, civilization, and many technologies - owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains. - James M. Corven, Basic Soil Improvement for Everyone (1983)

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14844 on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
Picked up today: Red dot sight for the 10/22. 60 rounds 7.62X54 for the mosin. 25 lbs bread flour, 5lbs pancake mix, 5lbs biscuit mix, 5lbs dehydrated hash browns, 5lbs instant potatoes and 20 bars soap at SAMS Club. Vacuum sealed all. Sighted in the red dot and practiced switching from the rifle to the Glock 27.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14845 on: January 06, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
I taught a non-prepper friend how to shoot a pistol.  Huh.  I have been teaching a lot of people to do that lately.  She told me that a bunch of normal people she knows are talking about some civil unrest coming.  Huh.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #14846 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
Another 1.5 hrs OT today.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #14847 on: January 06, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »
Spent the afternoon with some friends learning how to use map coordinates, UTM templates and such.  Plan is to start navigating in the wilderness in the spring without GPS.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14848 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
She told me that a bunch of normal people she knows are talking about some civil unrest coming.  Huh.

You're killin' me here!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #14849 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
  • With the help of friends and their livestock trailer, we brought the two Clydesdales home to the farm. Found out at least one of them can be saddled and ridden.
  • Made and renewed friendships

Cedar