Photobucket

Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 1328576 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #15060 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »

Oh, and the wife listened as I vacuum sealed and put the preps in totes. She may not agree, but she is not standing in my way. That is a victory of sorts.

;D

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

EOTS

« Reply #15061 on: January 27, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
Made 375ml's of Almond Extract.

Cedar

Oh -- I would love to know how you did this.

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15062 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
ordered a Gerber LMF II knife http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3QUB6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 and some more oxygen absorbers. I am toning down my prepping right now. My dog injured herself and may require a $3000 surgery so I am putting most funds into that right now.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #15063 on: January 27, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
I finished up vacuum sealing and putting away my Wal-Mart haul. Grand total = 66,000 calories or about enough for two people for 16 days. It is a good mix of breakfast and lunch/dinner food plus paper plates, bowls and cups.

Of course, I don't have a way to actually cook the preps without use of stuff at home, but that is on the list.

I uploaded a video review of a rifle/shotgun scabbard. That will be on my blog Wednesday. ;-)

Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15064 on: January 27, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
I've got plans to build a Warre hive (or two :))! Construction starts tomorrow!
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15065 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
I tried some recipes from a new cookbook I bought from Honeyville.  I loved the Thai black beans recipe.  I also made some of the "meals in a jar" recipes.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15067 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
Wood/metal workshop got set up today with help for some good friends.  The lighting and the power tools are all set up. Still have to assemble a few benches and put away the hand tools but it should be all set in a few days.

Offline kani73

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15068 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:58 AM »
I love my LMF.

Thats good to hear. It was a tough choice between 4 knives I have been researching. The LMF seemed like the best all around choice.
Serenity Farm on Zello

Offline MattR

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15069 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »
This past weekend, went to a gun auction.  Someone was auctioning off hundreds of guns from their personal gun collection.  That was crazy.  Standing room only.  An AK sold for $1000 and an AR15 went for $2000.  Didn't buy anything, but came close.  Prices were just too high. 

Scored some metal gas cans for cheap.  Added to my gasoline stores.  Tried to siphon gas out of our truck that my wife put into the tank that leaks.  Found out that when it's cold, the rubber bulb that you squeeze does not squeeze.  Tried putting a regular hose in and the hose was hard and wouldn't go to the bottom of the tank.  Something to think about if you're planning on using gas from an automobile for your generator. 

Put 19lbs of pasta, 50lbs of rice and 28lbs of sugar in mylar bags and into 5 gallon buckets.  5 gallon buckets were free from a fast food joint.  They just throw them away.  It took a few months for the pickle smell to go away after washing them out.   First time using mylar, an iron and a metal level.  Put the rest of the O2 absorbers into 3 vacuum sealed bags and left extra length so I can just reseal the same bag if I only need a few.  Did an inventory of our LTS food.  Can't wait to plug it into a calculator to see how many months we have. 

We had a family gun cleaning day.  We cleaned our 4 handguns and the wife got to clean the 38 special that she just bought.  I finally feel like we made some prepping progress this weekend and the whole family pitched in.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #15070 on: January 28, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »
I added a few more food items to the LTS.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline TexasGal

• Prepper
« Reply #15071 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Today, I purchased a Presto Canner, a FoodSaver, more water, dehydrated banana chips, and matches. We ruled out more land we went to look at Saturday  :'( ...so the search continues. We're just SO ready to find our land and start preparing it!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15072 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
  • Made vanilla extract. 375ml (or whatever size it is)
  • Picked up Bic lighters as there was a skirmish at the burning barrel today over one. So Z bought me my own pack of them. :D

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15073 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »
I'm about 1/2 done building my hive. I am working some more on it today. I also talked to a buddy of mine about going in half with me on the cost of lumber and bees, plus some help with the manual labor, in exchange for 1/2 the honey.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15074 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
The boys have split and stacked another cord of wood.  I put the chickens in to turn the compost pile, and I've got another chicken (a roo butchered a few weeks ago) in the pot for supper's chicken and dumplings.  Then later on we are meeting with our "group"... that is, providing we don't get one of the tornadoes the local weather man keeps warning us to be on the lookout for today.  It's went from bright daylight to needing a lamp on in just the past 30 minutes and it's not even 3 pm yet, and the rain is just now starting to blow.  Oops....gotta shut this thing down now as the heavens just opened up and we're getting slammed!

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #15075 on: January 29, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
Walked over and was the first to meet the new neighbors just moving in.
z

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
« Reply #15076 on: January 29, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »
Picked up bakery buckets with lids
Picked up 12 more pallets
Started grubbing out the first 30 of 234,654,678,432 scotch broom plants. (Ok maybe not that many but it is going to take weeks)

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
« Reply #15077 on: January 29, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
Oh -- I would love to know how you did this.

Pretty easy. Squash 12-16 raw almonds and drop into a jar of vodka, shake often and it is ready in a few months.

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15078 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
I am learning the art of barter viia craigslist.

Who knew 10 year old hockey skates could get me 2 sets of RCBS reloading dies?

A snowboard for an Olympus e410 camera...

Tomorrow I'm trading a 20 round box of PMC .223 for 500 JHP .357 bullets (projectiles).  I know prices are insane for .223 now, but I paid $5.99 back when and am getting a heck of a deal on premium defense bullets in exchange.  If we rewind to prices 6 months ago, I'm getting a 10x trade.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
« Reply #15079 on: January 29, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
Oh... and teaching my little one to be a carpenter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5BRxIvql-c I thought she did pretty good for just turning 3. (Actually I was just kinda keeping her out of the way and occupied, but figured she might be able to help me on the chicken houses soon.)

Cedar

Offline thewarriorhunter

• Such a sweety. - TheBinkieHunter!
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • A fledgling ant watching out for antlions
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #15080 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
cute cedar

i hit the net hard today and learned a lot about mosin nagants. i found a local shop that has them for a great price and after my research today i'm pretty confident that i'll be able to determine if any of their rifles will be good shooters.

Mai Thai Coffee - Coffee With a Mission - MSB members get 10% off everything! www.maithaicoffee.com

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
« Reply #15081 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »
On two polar extremes financially...

I bought a tactical pen, which is pretty cool.  I also got a free knife from a customer on my route, and it looks like it could do some serious damage, even if it is a little small (which is good).

My car keeled over (very loudly) this weekend, so yesterday I bought a very reliable used car and ponied up a tiny bit more for an extended warranty that will take me through 2017.  It's a Honda with 30,000 miles, so probably good for another 150,000 or so.  Smart decision, and I had Jay do the talking when we were at the dealership.  We got the interest rate down 5 percentage points because of him, plus free oil changes for the next 4 years.

I just brought my Bug Out Binder to the dealership, so when they asked for random info, I had everything right there.
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15082 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
We stoped in spring field Mo . Sams club monday on the way home. There was a nice couple there,
that just woke up scared. 2 full push carts ,not watching the people watching them. they were to wired for me to stop them and talk . seamed like they ran to the suv to load . and pack and repack
 There eyes were wide open but they werent watching what was going on .
things i wish i would have said to them , dont buy all that unless you can repack and store, it 6 flats of beans. check the payload because you shure blew it this time ,SUV dragging. 1 to watch 2 to load that kid can do some thing.They were not laughing with you it was at you running up and down the isles. A bad guy could have fallowed you home did you watch for him did you look ?
Slow down ,yes were happy for you , think fist ,are you ready to put up all that food ? its not a good deal if you waste it. Good Luck

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #15083 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
I love my LMF.

The jury is still out for me.  I have the Coyote version and find it a bit heavy.  Actually, on the last GHB/BOB/Pack revision, I swapped it out for a Glock knife to save half the weight.  My fav knife is the 80's Gerber USMC double edge, about the same weight and length as the Glock knife, but it's prolly best not to carry that one around on an everyday basis.  Utility wise, the single edged knives are more practical on the trail, anyway.

Today I worked on shelving for my new storage area.  Tomorrow I'll help a friend order a heap of freeze dried food, then get back on the solar project Thursday.

~TG

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #15084 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »
No overtime?
Thank goodnes, 4 hours yesterday and 8 more coming up tomorrow.  8)

It all goes in the piggy bank (preps, that is.)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #15085 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
Finally tracked down to lady who is trying to start a community garden in my town & got invited to a steering committee meeting.
I really only wanted a plot of my own but, I guess this might be better. Lots more work :o, but better for community building.  ;)

Offline suzysurvivor

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15086 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
i've been working on my baking skills--scones, tortillas, breads.  It's all well and good to have 700# of flour but if you don't know what to do with it, yer still gonna starve.

EOTS

« Reply #15087 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
Pretty easy. Squash 12-16 raw almonds and drop into a jar of vodka, shake often and it is ready in a few months.

Cedar

TY

Oh... and teaching my little one to be a carpenter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5BRxIvql-c I thought she did pretty good for just turning 3. (Actually I was just kinda keeping her out of the way and occupied, but figured she might be able to help me on the chicken houses soon.)

Cedar

When my youngest child was about her age, I discovered free scraps at the local lumber yard. A box of nails and a few 6 oz hammers kept my three boys busy for HOURS. No smashed digits, either. I think they did better then than I do some days now.

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #15088 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
My wife got a large vacum sealer today for $0.00.  Way to go honey!!

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #15089 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Packed up a huge bunch of beans & rice noodles in mylar, with o2 absorbers. It all looked like a huge pile until I had it all consolidated. Now it looks like a very small food supply.  ::)
I guess I'd better pick up some more on payday!

-Eriko