Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5458596 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »
Good luck Ink. You can use the flour to make bread, muffins, biscuits, etc.
I'll see if I can dig up some bread recipes for you to look at.

Here's one I want to try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

And here is Jack's Beer bread:
http://www.recipezaar.com/73440

And a thread on some tweaks of Jack's Beer bread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php/topic,294.0.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:38:32 PM by Archer »

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
More of the things in the last week...

Went up to the folk's place in northwestern Wisconsin. 1 tank of gas exactly. Helped move a shed so there is room for a 2nd garage. A little target practice, not as much as I hoped for though. Made some home made pasta with my mother, she had never done that before. Lots of fun. Made a pasta drying rack for this as well - actually two, one for her, one for me. It's actually pretty easy to make pasta. She has a hand cranked unit she has never used. I brought up my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer attachments. No sense making work out of it when it's not needed. Helped dad lay the stone for the new fireplace. They had bought the place with a gas fireplace. That came out last week, a wood fireplace went in. They are different sizes. The chimney had to be modified to suite.

The folk's place is my bug out location - they just don't know it. I am spending time working the place so I keep my open invitation.  It's on a decent fishing lake. Well & septic system. The old house burnt down the beginning of the year, so this one is paid for - make sure you have enough insurance! I mentioned the new solar tax credits. Maybe they will put aside some of the little remaining insurance money for later next year to at least install a little solar.

I picked up a K&N air filter for the trucklet. I can get up there on 1 tank of gas, but it would be on fumes. To close for comfort if I had to sit on the highway, or take a longer, alternate route up there. I got 25.37 mpg on my 2007 Escape 3 liter on the way back. 35k on the original air filter - needed to be changed. BADLY. Gonna see how the new air filter helps with millage. Will report back.

I went grocery shopping. Spent twice as much as I wanted to, but only a third of it was for food for this week. A third is long term, and the other third is for medium term - things like bread flour, as well as a few items for the 5 items challenge. Canned chicken. Gonna give it a try next week and report back. Some Coriander and a gallon of apple cider vinegar for my 2nd attempt at Biltong.

Rice and beans for lunch yesterday. I just can't get it to come out like they make it in South Florida. **sighs**

Yesterday, read about a local bank getting mailed envelopes containing an unknown white powder.
    http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/news/1232667,3_1_EL21_A1CHASE_S1.article
Did a quick threat analysis. I am a little over a mile downwind. I have N95 masks in the apartment and in the glove box of the trucklet. I don't carry any in my laptop bag which doubles as a GHB. Trying to find a way to carry one without it getting crushed to uselessness, as well as be explainable if someone where to snoop without being seen as 'one of THOSE' people. I work a block from the apartment, so that may not be a big deal. Small office, only a half a dozen employees with school aged kids. Not too terribly many people from the outside in and out. The ones that do come and go would be strong vectors, about 5 delivery people, US mail, Fedex, Fedex Express, UPS, custom shipping.
My biggest worry is that though is that they got the first envelope on Monday, I heard about it on Tuesday. A day later. I was able to find an exact location, which nobody else had heard of that knew about it.

Today, I get home from work. No water. Damn.
Mental run through of the situation. My biggest concern is the lack of shower in the morning. I looked at the pile of dirty dishes in the sink, annoyed. Part of this pile is half a dozen empty juice and soda bottles waiting to be washed and or filled. Oohps. Good thing I got a bunch filled and stashed already as well as a couple of 6 gallon water containers. Water is good for 2 weeks.
Pizza for supper - no dishes.
Water came back on a few minutes later - guessing maintenance was winterizing the outside spigots and had to turn water off to the building to get the water to drain away from the outside.

I took a piece of Jack's advice. Started a company. Well, registered a domain name actually. TheLocalFarmersMarket.com - the buddy of mine that was let go at work last week and I have been talking about something along this lines for about 6 months. Jack's show got me thinking, and I came up with the above name on the walk back from lunch at home.
Goal for the site is to be a resource for small growers to connect with their local customers. Offer free tutorials on how to make websites focused on local farmers for free to next to nothing. I also have a few years of Internet Marketing and web design experience, so I can sell my services to those who are willing and able to pay for it. That's where I make my coin. Spend a few hours getting them set up where they can take care of it from there. I make a quick buck, they get an affordable website. Do a monthly newsletter with ideas and updates on how they can do things.
I have secured hosting. I need to get that all set up yet. Been working on the content of the site. I figure I have this winter to get the site built out. Going to start marketing at the local farmers markets next spring.

Anybody know somebody in the Chicagoland area that would find a website for their farmers market schedule useful? I would be willing to barter my time helping them build a site this winter for some produce next summer. I would like a few sites for a portfolio and to kick off the word-of-mouth marketing.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
Bought a Mossburg 12 gauge 7+1, ammo and this seems strange, but one of the old hand crank egg beaters.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
Got some canned white flour in today. My order of more PMAGs came in on Tuesday. The 99.9% 1oz silver coin I was owed for a service I provided was paid to me today, American Eagle. Gun show this weekend.  ;D

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »
Filled up 5 propane tanks, I was suprised propane went down to $2.50 gallon was $3.50.

Offline tankman1989

• Prepper
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Bought
500 rounds 9mm FMJ
200 Straigt razors
500 various size fish hooks (80% off)
3 packs super glue (very useful)
15 carabiners (camping and stuff) Home depot has the best 99 cent ones I've found

jarhead

« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2008, 01:34:39 AM »
2 Beans and 2 rice in the bag.  Also 5 pork and beans in the can.  Stored in a 5 gallon bucket with two 30 gram desiccant packs inside.  Not much, but it is cheap.  I also ordered a Emergency Food supply bucket with 100 servings inside and a 20 year shelf life from Ebay.

Dan Holiday

« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:43 AM »
Last night my son and I cleared out lots of shelf space in the basement for our pantry.  Tomorrow morning we're going grocery shopping and will buy just a little more than we normally do of canned goods.  I'm looking forward to seeing some cans on those shelves.  In a few weeks I plan on having a one month supply of canned food, paper products and who knows what else.  I still need to figure out what I am going to do for water storage.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
Good job  Dan H. I am doing the exact same thing only got to build the shelves, which are almost done. I was in the same boat only a month ago(lacking of food on the shelves) but after listening to Jack's podcast I have ramped up on everything survival related. I can't tell you the feeling of having food on the shelves, it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just keep up on stocking up and when the SHTF we will be fine, while others will be scrambling....

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
Picked up another 18 gallons of gas now that the price is coming down ($2.65 here in CT) and added it to my 100 gallon storage/transfer tank.  Almost 3/4 full now, been using it on and off for lawn and tractor equipment this summer and fall.  Picked up 10 boxes of baking soda on sale and vac sealled packages of 3 together. 

This weekend I'll will be back on installing the outside wood boiler, got the concrete pad done last weekend, now its time to position the boiler on the pad and begin trenching the feedlines to the house. 

Usually on Fridays wife and I do a BJ's run.  If we go, planning on getting another case of mushrooms and 20 #ground beef.

And if there is any spare time, its back on the wood splitter!

What a great way to spend a weekend, away from work!! :)

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »
Hey Dark eyes, congrats on the egg beater!! "Great find"!   

You may also want to search for an extra potato peeler and hand can opener too.  Another good search is hand crank type meat grinder.  They mount on the counter and turn cheap cuts of pork into decent sausage burgers

DW usually finds grinders and kitchen tools at church and rumage sales.  Keeping a few sharp tater peelers in the house is a blessing sometimes as they get hammered during normal use.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »
Finally got my woodstove installed!!!!  I can now heat the majority of the house without running the furnace.

Now I just need to start stockpiling firewood.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
Took Jack's advice and bought a new chainsaw. Bought my last one ten years ago, and it runs fine. Figure this one should last the same. Installed Hasp's on barn door's so they can be locked.

Tactical you can come over and borrow it to start on your firewood...lol

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
Bought 5 gallon water containers with spigots on them at Sportsman's Warehouse for $6.99 each.  Went by Sam's, got vitamins, tylenol, sinus meds, allergy meds, pepto bismol, immodium, advil, peroxide, alcohol, and a pill cutter for my husband.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2008, 02:02:39 AM »

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2008, 02:35:55 AM »
Bailey congrats on the new saw. 

Now ya gotta go out and get some spare parts for it.  Get yourself a 1/2 dozen spark plugs, a spare chain,  an extra Scrench or two and some plastic wedges.  Learn how to file a saw chain and have a package of properly sized files on hand too.  An extra air filter sealed in a vac seal bag works along with an extra set or two of the bar nuts.  Hate having to search half the day for a lost nut I didnt tighten up completely or dropped.  Stihl uses large metric ones that you just cant find in any hardware store.

As you work that saw youll find how much gas mix you go through, stock up on a six pack of engine oil.  I find the Stihl oil in the white container works best, dosnt carbon up the insides as much as regular two cycle oil.   And dont forget the extra gallon of bar oil. 

Boating supply houses sell a plastic version of the ammo can.  I keep all my saw stuff in there.  there orange, bright enough to find when ya put it down in the woods and waterproof to protect the contents.

I'd also throw in a few pair of earplugs too Walmart has them for less than $1.50 a set in sporting goods and they do cut down on the noise level.

A pair of safety chaps would be a nice investment too, work well to protect the legs and there reletivily cheep on ebay.  Paid $30 for a set delivered here.

Happy cutting and be safe

Lucretius

« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2008, 03:03:07 AM »
Winter's coming... so I bought a lot of D vitamins. If forced to stay indoors for an extended period, D deficiency is a clear threat, esp. to the kids. (Since exposure to sunlight is the primary way our bodies make vitamin D, if you didn't know...)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »
Hey Dark eyes, congrats on the egg beater!! "Great find"!   

You may also want to search for an extra potato peeler and hand can opener too.  Another good search is hand crank type meat grinder.  They mount on the counter and turn cheap cuts of pork into decent sausage burgers

DW usually finds grinders and kitchen tools at church and rumage sales.  Keeping a few sharp tater peelers in the house is a blessing sometimes as they get hammered during normal use.

Sometimes it's good to be a "packrat". I still have my mother's old meat grinder (like you described), the hand crank beater, AND  an old fashioned "french fry cutter".  I just couldn't throw them out.  Now, I'm glad I didn't.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »
Bailey congrats on the new saw. 

Now ya gotta go out and get some spare parts for it.  Get yourself a 1/2 dozen spark plugs, a spare chain,  an extra Scrench or two and some plastic wedges.  Learn how to file a saw chain and have a package of properly sized files on hand too.  An extra air filter sealed in a vac seal bag works along with an extra set or two of the bar nuts.  Hate having to search half the day for a lost nut I didnt tighten up completely or dropped.  Stihl uses large metric ones that you just cant find in any hardware store.

Took your advice CTF250 and got some spare parts....The Stihl dealer had a steal of a deal(pun intended), got eight pairs of chaps that they discounted to $8(only problem is they are black). Best deal I've ever got, now my wifes nickname for me is chainsaw...I'm screwed if we run out of gas...lol

Offline Kurtz13

• Prepper
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2008, 06:12:09 PM »
filled 2 -50gal UN-grade water drums with clean drinking water.
Checked on my garden
worked out and went out to Costco and bought more canned veggies and fruit...and Scotch...(heh heh)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
Got some AK mags.  Could be in short supply soon ...

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
I went to Bass Pro shop...and after I got my senses together I bought some shotgun ammo for various uses since I can't buy them here in town. Basically bought shotgun ammo for small, medium, and deer game. That and the #3 Buck for my 20 gauge is good for home defense ( I couldn't find #4 Buck  :( ) Then I bought one of those wire saws. I have been wanting one of those forever.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2008, 12:53:25 AM »
I managed to get my wife partially onboard.... Now for more prepping.

SueDonim

« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Took a Basic Handgun class.  Took my wife also (it was her birthday present.  Do I have a great wife, or what?).

I was very pleased with my grouping (I've only shot a pistol a couple of times.).  My wife's was pretty good too.

The great thing too is that she now is interested in getting a 9mm.  Any suggestions.

Also, she is a bit more on board with prepping.  It helped that the instructor was a female marine.  She spoke a lot of SHTF, especially after the election.

That discussion got my wife more interested in prep, and less thinking I am going over the edge.

A good day

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
Splitting up a truck load of firewood for a person Ive never met.  DW found a post in another website from a person whos parents are here in the same state we are.  She was searching for someone up here to give her some contact info so she could arrange to get some firewood delivered to her parents.  Her father is in a wheelchair and she wants them to have some firewood just to get by if needed in case the power goes out for a bit.

I figure with all thats going on in the world, someone shouldnt have to worrry about their parents.  DW and I just feel its the right thing to do and pay a favor forward.

Pickup load will be split this week and delivered next weekend

Perhaps we should all try to pay a favor forward to someone sometime.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
Wow, Baily
You are your own army.  ;D

kaiservontexas

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
Gun show was awesome! I got a stripped lower so the AR build project may begin! I also added another M44 to the family.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
Tested new AK mags.

Made arrangement with my bug out pad guy to move some food in.

Most importantly: went to church.  Man cannot live by MREs alone. 

tash

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2008, 08:32:21 PM »
Splitting up a truck load of firewood for a person Ive never met.  DW found a post in another website from a person whos parents are here in the same state we are.  She was searching for someone up here to give her some contact info so she could arrange to get some firewood delivered to her parents.  Her father is in a wheelchair and she wants them to have some firewood just to get by if needed in case the power goes out for a bit.

I figure with all thats going on in the world, someone shouldnt have to worrry about their parents.  DW and I just feel its the right thing to do and pay a favor forward.

Pickup load will be split this week and delivered next weekend

Perhaps we should all try to pay a favor forward to someone sometime.

You are definitely an example for us to strive too. I'm glad there are folks like you in this world.

tash

« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
Ordered a HEPA filter from http://www.filtersavings.com/filtersavings/index.asp. (Really good deals on air filters BTW) This weekend I will be starting work on a portable HEPA based air filtration system for any house or room. As always, I'll post a how-to in the DIY section when I'm done.

-Tash

Still waiting on the delivery guy. Guess I'll start working on the filter next weekend.
Built a water filtration system for friend and posted more updated pics in the DIY section.
Finished splitting my firewood and having the chimney sweep coming out this Tuesday.
Not prep related but torqued on the motorcycle this weekend. Rear end lowered a couple inches. Rides much better.