Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 3649931 times)

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #23850 on: March 15, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Been putting it off for too long, what with building a workbench, caring for an injured dog, and my aching back.
I did manage to get an orange tree planted and spruced up the front yard - does that count?
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #23851 on: March 15, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
Been putting it off for too long, what with building a workbench, caring for an injured dog, and my aching back.
I did manage to get an orange tree planted and spruced up the front yard - does that count?

Yes
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23852 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
Livestock: sold the doeling kid, she is still here, but her new family came over and met her and I spent alot of time talking goats and 4H to mom, little sister and happy 9yo boy and new goat owner. This doeling is amazingly tame and goes up to people, at 2 weeks old and dam raised.

Garden: more weeding, I am very slow. Transplanted out Brocolli and a few kale and chard plants. Some of the brocolli is marginal on making it as we had an unseasonable heat wave last week while it was still inside, at least 8 of the 12 are going to take well, 2 are pretty shaky.

Medical : acupuncture again, and an observation that although the focus is on my jaw, I have been able to do some work in the garden without neck pain since previous visit !

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #23853 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
yes, those things, except I dont think a trailer brake connector. definitely transmission cooler, the wiring, beefed up Leaf's and springs, possibly an extra shock in the middle, he showed me things but it was alot to process at once. I bought it from my daughters boyfriends family.

Sometimes they hide the plug, but it should be there with the towing package on that truck. You'll have to get the correct adapter to go with the controller.

I got the fuel problem sorted out on the old Hobart. It runs, welds, and makes AC auxiliary power now. Still has a few issues to sort out though. Finally got a stand welded up for one of my riveter forge pans. Bought 500 pounds of coal today, after going to Ripley's "Believe it or Not" in Grand Prairie. Going camping over the weekend.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23854 on: March 17, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
Wife and grand daughters are baby sitting a neighbors billy. Billy lost his mother and is being bottle fed. Oh fun fun.  ;D ;D
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #23855 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »
Re-organizing my forgery. Both hearths needed to fix, the pedal powered one is done, the one with electric blower still awaits. Sorting all the leaf springs and other junkyard material I have stockpiled there over the last two years. Gonna build a shelf for it, also need to think of a better way to store my coal supply (bags laying all around don't work so well). Bought two pieces of 8x8cm lumber, will build a vice-horse for my antique blacksmith vice (currently in a highly improvised installation). That will also be a nice way to practice some of the timberframing techniques I've studied lately, just in a smaller scale.
Finished some tedious orders I've been avoiding for a while. That sort of things that aren't really easy or fast to forge, but you can't expect much for them.

Planning to forge a prototype of a highly primitive bowie knife that I've had in mind for a while. Blade, handle, guard and pommel, all in one piece.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23856 on: March 17, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
not really what I did "just" today.... but so far for this year, I've quit smoking, have tried & tested & got the kids cooking Chef Keith's recipes, took my saved cash and did a huge shopping trip stocking up on everything storable that we eat all the time.  Pasta & rice, canned & dry beans, tomatoes, veggies, fruits, meats, etc-etc..  Not as much as I should have but more than most!

Dug some of my canning stuff out of storage, got my bread machine (cheating I know) out and working, found my pressure canner, need to test that out still.  I always cook in HUGE batches.  Am going to start canning the leftovers.  I used to do this, just way out of practice! 

Right now I'm researching and trying to decide on which to implement into my families diet first.....  Homemade yogurt/cheeses (which will have to come from store bought milk :( , fermented veggies, sourdough bread......  any suggestions, constructive criticism or opinions appreciated. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23857 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
not really what I did "just" today.... but so far for this year, I've quit smoking, have tried & tested & got the kids cooking Chef Keith's recipes, took my saved cash and did a huge shopping trip stocking up on everything storable that we eat all the time.  Pasta & rice, canned & dry beans, tomatoes, veggies, fruits, meats, etc-etc..  Not as much as I should have but more than most!

Dug some of my canning stuff out of storage, got my bread machine (cheating I know) out and working, found my pressure canner, need to test that out still.  I always cook in HUGE batches.  Am going to start canning the leftovers.  I used to do this, just way out of practice! 

Right now I'm researching and trying to decide on which to implement into my families diet first.....  Homemade yogurt/cheeses (which will have to come from store bought milk :( , fermented veggies, sourdough bread......  any suggestions, constructive criticism or opinions appreciated.

It all sounds great ! Start with the one that you like eating best first.

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23858 on: March 17, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
It all sounds great ! Start with the one that you like eating best first.

That's the thing... they like eating them all, just all in the "store bought" versions....

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #23859 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
Finally got the ok to go running again after a knee injury.  Felt so good, even if it still was a little sore and I'm no where near my old run times.
The doctor told me when I was born that my chances of getting out of this life alive were slim.
Check out my YouTube Dutch Oven A Day and dutchovenaday.com.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23860 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
Finally got the ok to go running again after a knee injury.  Felt so good, even if it still was a little sore and I'm no where near my old run times.

Karma,good for you!

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23861 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:29 AM »
Knitted. I havent knitted in a while, and my hands were ok, I just didnt do too much, so I am leaving this out to continue a bit every day

All milking and animal chores are mine this week

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23862 on: March 18, 2017, 06:34:43 AM »
MountainMomma,Karma.

Dog and I ate bacon from a can and pan fried butternut squash for breakfast.
 I found some members long term storage foods were ready to rotate out.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #23863 on: March 18, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
Knitted. I havent knitted in a while...

Same here, and it really is good for my head, so I've been working on a DNA scarf for the past week. 

Only frogged it once so far...

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23864 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »

Great post.  8) I quit a year ago July, after smoking about 48 years. I have my days, but you can-do-it

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23865 on: March 18, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
Didn't work on my forgery reconstruction today, it was raining all day. I was in the workshop, finishing some small annoying products (9th century leg straps, had to make tiny buckles and fittings and belt-ends....I had their basic forms forged already, but it was lot of filing and fitting yet), good for practicing fine metalworking skills. Also finished a dagger that I've had laying aside for more than 10 years. It's the Fairburn-Sykes Commandos style dagger, blade is exact size and shape of the original, while the usual heavy brass hilt is made of cocobollo wood on mine. Guard and pommel are steel. Lightweight, needle-pointed, very sharp and deadly. I think I have a new carry blade. Need to make a sheath yet.
Doing my best to get together enough money for a tactical plate carrier and plates, so I'm working on orders nearly all the time. Next week I'll be making several knives again.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #23866 on: March 18, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
SORRY, but I have to brag....  I visited my 91 YO grandmother today and she twisted my arm (not really) to dig up four bare-root Concord Grape vines.  As long as I can remember I have drank juice gleaned from these vines and in my opinion it is the best I've ever tasted.

The best part...  These are vines that my great-great grandmother gave to my great grandmother (my living grandmothers mom) as a gift some 100 years ago.  Nobody can say if these were from vines that she had for a period of time, so we can only say that these are at least 100 years old.   

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23867 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
SORRY, but I have to brag....  I visited my 91 YO grandmother today and she twisted my arm (not really) to dig up four bare-root Concord Grape vines.  As long as I can remember I have drank juice gleaned from these vines and in my opinion it is the best I've ever tasted.

The best part...  These are vines that my great-great grandmother gave to my great grandmother (my living grandmothers mom) as a gift some 100 years ago.  Nobody can say if these were from vines that she had for a period of time, so we can only say that these are at least 100 years old.

this is amazing, how nice to have a crop the family has been growing for generations. Maybe once you have them established, and need to prune, you can offer  few of us cuttings so we can spread this great variety around !

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23868 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
this is amazing, how nice to have a crop the family has been growing for generations. Maybe once you have them established, and need to prune, you can offer  few of us cuttings so we can spread this great variety around !

Would be happy to.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23869 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »

Aargh....  Where to put said vines for a permanent (possibly another 100 years) home that will be appreciated by us and future land owners.

I didn't mention that my Grandmother has lived on her creek for 88 years, except for a short time living in San Diego as a Rosie the Riveter while my Grandfather was in the Navy.  She has lived in various houses not more than a few hundred yards from where she lives right now.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23870 on: March 19, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
Awesome about the grape vines.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23871 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »
garden: Transplanted out 1/2 of the onion bed area with the New York Early that I had started from seed, 64 plants. Soaked 2 types of sugar snap pea seeds 24 hours then put into potting soil in the green house very thickly, almost touching -- the idea is to get them sprouted and up before setting out. Between bugs and birds I generally get from 60-90% losses when I direct seed.

Some more knitting. I am making bunnies (small stuffed toys)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23872 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »
I almost responded to a couple political threads here on TSP, but remembered I don't have to care.

It was tough deleting half a page of text - but it's for the best :)

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23873 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
Grinding wheat berries and coffee beans today while working in the shop.
Flour and coffee stash in the house is way low.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23874 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
Awesome about the grape vines.

Thanks Stwood.  I decided to keep them in planters for now, to establish a better root system.  Two of the four didn't have roots at all.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23875 on: March 20, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
  I just started work on my TRC-1 Tactical Radio Carrier http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=60076.0 and am really
impressed with the workmanship and responsive representative who answered my questions well.I hope to finish the project in a day or two.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23876 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Thanks Stwood.  I decided to keep them in planters for now, to establish a better root system.  Two of the four didn't have roots at all.

Hope they survive for you. Grapes seem to be tough for us. Never has worked out.
We brought some cuttings home again last year. Of the four, two are completely gone.
Didn't survive the winter and the critters. One is still attached to it's apparent roots, but didn't do anything after transplanting. Looks like a dead vine.
Fourth is out in the woods and can't find it. We grafted it onto a wild vine. Maybe we just haven't stumbled in the right direction. Lol

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23877 on: March 20, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
Hope they survive for you. Grapes seem to be tough for us. Never has worked out.
We brought some cuttings home again last year. Of the four, two are completely gone.
Didn't survive the winter and the critters. One is still attached to it's apparent roots, but didn't do anything after transplanting. Looks like a dead vine.
Fourth is out in the woods and can't find it. We grafted it onto a wild vine. Maybe we just haven't stumbled in the right direction. Lol

I feel for you.  So much time goes in to just making decisions; what to plant, where to plant, how to propagate, and etc..  When it doesn't work out it's somewhat demoralizing.  That said, I've been pretty lucky as I have good soil, good climate, and plenty of free fertilizer from chickens, cattle, and horses.  I also have little to no worries from critters if I can keep the livestock out of them.  Thankfully I have no coons or deer to worry about, which is what was constantly raping my grandmothers grapes.  Other than the occasional year where rabbits are thick and play havoc on new growth (even my evergreen seedlings), I'm pretty lucky.

Keep trying.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23878 on: March 22, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
Checked my new trees, planted last Fall. Most of them seem to be alive, could be too early for some to tell.
Did some minor gunsmithing and maintenance. Will get into reloading again, as soon as I'm done with a serie of "evening orders" that means products that I'm making at home, not in the forgery or workshop. Such as shoes, belts, small wooden items, etc.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23879 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Started making some homemade candles in a can. Wasn't my idea, it was an older fella we met some time ago. He works for Fema. I want to pick his brain some more.

Tuna can, wind some cardboard strips in there, filling it full. Next step is to fill with melted wax. Oh, put the holes in the corrugated cardboard up.

I haven't got any wax in yet.