Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 3677929 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24000 on: May 11, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »
Hole was clear. Bowl was full of water. No residue, no dried crap. Wiped it out with a rag, a little air and looks like new.

Your motor runs on water?
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24001 on: May 11, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
Your motor runs on water?

I wish  ;D

Rearranged the setting hens cages. Let momma and her 3 chicks out into the garden grass. They're going wild.
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24002 on: May 11, 2017, 02:50:52 PM »
But if the carb bowl was full of water , that might effect how the motor runs?

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24003 on: May 11, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
No effect last year when I ran it dry and put it up. So scratching my head as to how it got that much water in there over the winter. Course it could have had that much in the tank all along, and when I ran it dry, it died because of the water after the gas was gone.

Once we get the tiller outside, it stays out for the season. So condensation probably didn't help anything.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24004 on: May 11, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
Ordered 50m of candle wick, need to put the 6-mould to use. Practice in candlemaking may come in handy, plus I'll be selling them to reenactors. If I'm happy with the wick performance, I'll get couple hundred meters of it
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24005 on: May 12, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
16 more tomato plants mudded in yesterday

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24006 on: May 12, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
Garden: past couple days I worked on wedding/prepping a few of the raised beds as I need to get my tomato starts outside ! The poor things look horrid, pot bound, etc....

Firearms: tried to shoot a gopher. I missed. Probably should have had my glasses on or been closer or something, a friend was there, she said she thought I got it, was so close. Sound wasn't too bad, so I can safely do this again, I used the mark I with a cci mini-mag, as this was handy. That gopher had been brazenly sticking his head out of that hole as we were pulling weeds. After the near-miss, the gopher plugged the hole and laid low.

More decluttering, found a 20. Love it when that happens.

Offspring education support : running numbers on possible working budget for university. Researching housing options. Picked up a free, good condition used couch.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:00:49 AM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24007 on: May 13, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »
Soil dried enough yesterday evening to put out 16 pepper plants, 4 broccoli plants, and about 21' of red onions sets. More tomatoes today.
Like MM, our tomatoes were way overdue to put out. One had a tomato on it.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24008 on: May 14, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Yesterday...
16 more tomato plants
25' white onions
25' yellow onions
25' mixed onions
21' sweet potatoes, with 4' of fill in radishes to finish the row

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24009 on: May 14, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
Got around to working on my old (and recently replaced by a new copy of the same model) shortwave receiver.  From over at the gear review page:
After the new one is in and all checked out, I'll pop the case on the old one and try replacing the rotary encoder.  It's still a good radio and will make a decent spare, even if I can't get that knob working again.
Too fine a soldering job for me to attempt.  Disassembled, blew canned air over/through/around the errant part, crossed my fingers, reassembled, and... no joy.  Still a useable spare, frequencies can still be directly entered on the keypad.  But no more dialing around on this one, and because the scan function relies on the main dial to step through the found stations, that function's effectively kaput too.

So... 5-1/2 years, that's not too bad.  I'm happy with the overall value, and happy enough with the performance that I'm just doing a straight-up replacement.
Still undecided about what to do with it.  Probably just pull the batts and put it in a ziplock bag with a note saying what's wrong, then put it in the "deep backup stores."

One short project down.  Got to move on to that new 2m antenna and BITX40 transceiver next.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24010 on: May 14, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
100' of taters are in, and 25' of cantaloupe

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24011 on: May 14, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Ordered seeds of Lactuca virosa ...another interesting herb that I want to add to my natural medicines. Which reminds me, I've just herd from a family member how much did the plantain sirup that my wife made nearly 2 years ago help to cure cough recently. We'll have to make another batch this year.

The yellow beans are finally germinating, I was already worried that the seeds I harvested last year were bad. It's really nice to grow stuff from the seeds that you've grown yourself. BTW, anyone interested? I have couple seeds left. If you plant it this year and let the beans grow enough to make seeds, you can grow your own next year. I really don't know what exact variety they are, I just know that my uncle got them from his garden neighbor and we got them from him. They easily grow even in colder places and are very tasty.

The trees I pruned seem to be doing well.

I'm practicing my carving skills, making an 18th century musical instrument, the french epinette.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24012 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
Ordered seeds of Lactuca virosa ...another interesting herb that I want to add to my natural medicines. Which reminds me, I've just herd from a family member how much did the plantain sirup that my wife made nearly 2 years ago help to cure cough recently. We'll have to make another batch this year.

The yellow beans are finally germinating, I was already worried that the seeds I harvested last year were bad. It's really nice to grow stuff from the seeds that you've grown yourself. BTW, anyone interested? I have couple seeds left. If you plant it this year and let the beans grow enough to make seeds, you can grow your own next year. I really don't know what exact variety they are, I just know that my uncle got them from his garden neighbor and we got them from him. They easily grow even in colder places and are very tasty.

The trees I pruned seem to be doing well.

I'm practicing my carving skills, making an 18th century musical instrument, the french epinette.

fresh eating beans or dried beans ?

I would try them. I also would like to know how she made the syrup, I should do this, plantain is in my yard

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24013 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »
Garden: finished loosening the second tomato bed, set out both beds. I set out tomatoes 2 ft apart, so with 4 sq ft for each plant. So, 2 beds is 24 tomato plants total. I gave away about 11 extra plants today once I was done. One bed is paste tomatoes, the other is "others".

Heard that gopher again when I was out, so this time, I just went and stuck a cinch trap into the hole he was looking out of -- this worked.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24014 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:24 AM »
fresh eating beans or dried beans ?

I would try them. I also would like to know how she made the syrup, I should do this, plantain is in my yard

PM

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24015 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
50' of corn
50' of bush beans
25' row of squash and radishes

Wife just got her 2 hives of bees delivered

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24016 on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Another raid to the random sellout place: 11 jackets and pants, mostly the good old vz.60 uniforms again. Mostly for my wife, but I scored pants in my size as well. Paid inder $40 for all.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #24017 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
100' of taters are in, and 25' of cantaloupe

What are you going to do with all those "taters"?
I live in earthquake country.
The street finds its own uses for things.
If you want to find out how things really works, study them when they are coming apart..William Gibson

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24018 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Whew, I thought he planted hundred foot taters...a hundred feet of taters makes more sense. Don't Russians make vodka from taters?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24019 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
 :spit:

Eat em, can em, store em

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24020 on: May 16, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
Whew, I thought he planted hundred foot taters...a hundred feet of taters makes more sense. Don't Russians make vodka from taters?

Real vodka shold be made of wheat, potatoes are only used for some of the cheap brands and for homemade samohon.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24021 on: May 16, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Real vodka shold be made of wheat, potatoes are only used for some of the cheap brands and for homemade samohon.

hard to get real vodka out here, if it doesnt say what it is made from, and it is American and cheap, it is made from GMO sugar beets. When I make medicinal tinctures, I look for one that says what it is made from, most often rye and European. Not to drink, for herbal tinctures.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24022 on: May 17, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
^ I tend to use pure alcohol for tinctures. BTW, the Shepherd's purse tincture works really well for skin/blood issues.

Not much done today, too busy forging some more knives (guess that still counts as practice!), but we've planted some green beans and the Iroquis white corn (heritage variety, bougt it on ebay, really curious about it). Yellow beans are germinating nicely in pots, we'll move them to the garden soon.
Checked my new fruit trees as I do nearly daily. They're mostly doing very well, one apple tree still bothers me a little, but I still hope it's somewhat "later" variety. Guess that's tre price you pay when you let family choose a variety based on the taste :)
Still waiting for the Lactuca virosa seeds. I wish I've read about it earlier, it may be too late to plant it this year.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24023 on: May 17, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Yesterday, 25' row of okra. 25' row of turnips.
No planting today, really need some rain before I go any farther. Gave up and put the soaker hose on this evening.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24024 on: May 18, 2017, 01:00:30 AM »
Bible, Pray, workout practice shooting

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24025 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
Tended the soaker hose on the garden

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24026 on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »
Decluttering : resolved the issue with my previous roommate, who had left his stuff here for the past 6 months. I went to the law library in the county building monday, found out what my legal rights were, and since I estimated his stuff was worth less than $700, my options were easy to implement. And, once I sent him a note explaining this, in proper legal terms, He came right over. After months of no-shows and last minute cancellations. Took his stuff and paid me what I asked for a reasonable storage fee. I like him, actually, but enough is enough. Last missed opportunity he had, not that long ago, I had offered to have him do yard work for 4 hours in lieu of paying storage fees -- but he no-showed with an excuse. That would have been the most lucrative weed pulling opportunity he will likely ever have in his life.  It is nice to have the space back in the barn, and in my front room. I have no extra storage, and being nice, I had a pile of more delicate stuff, his guitar, a pair of almost new wildland fire boots, a box of misc. delicate - Ipad, a few knives, etc... stuck here by the front door, a larger pile of furniture and boxes was taking up 1/3 of my limited hay storage space.

Made a chocolate cake. I dont know what part of prepping that covers, but, you know, chocolate cake. enjoy the day.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24027 on: May 19, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
And, once I sent him a note explaining this, in proper legal terms, He came right over.

Good for you.  It's amazing what a little "legalize" can do for you.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24028 on: May 19, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
Practiced more knifemaking and sold the knives in a couple minutes after posting pictures.
Practiced woodworking and made a nice bucksaw, 18th century style. I plan to add these saws to my line of products, so I needed a prototype. Also - I have another saw now :)
Cleaned a container that I'm planning to use as emergency gear stash, burried somewhere outside the house. A nice long tube, watertight closed, over 1m long and over 20cm diameter. Got it from an army friend, it was used for rocket fuel or something like that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:08:07 PM by Knecht »

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24029 on: May 20, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
 8)