Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4142064 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24030 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
Ordered seeds of Lactuca virosa ...another interesting herb that I want to add to my natural medicines. Which reminds me, I've just herd from a family member how much did the plantain sirup that my wife made nearly 2 years ago help to cure cough recently. We'll have to make another batch this year.

The yellow beans are finally germinating, I was already worried that the seeds I harvested last year were bad. It's really nice to grow stuff from the seeds that you've grown yourself. BTW, anyone interested? I have couple seeds left. If you plant it this year and let the beans grow enough to make seeds, you can grow your own next year. I really don't know what exact variety they are, I just know that my uncle got them from his garden neighbor and we got them from him. They easily grow even in colder places and are very tasty.

The trees I pruned seem to be doing well.

I'm practicing my carving skills, making an 18th century musical instrument, the french epinette.

fresh eating beans or dried beans ?

I would try them. I also would like to know how she made the syrup, I should do this, plantain is in my yard
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24031 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »
Garden: finished loosening the second tomato bed, set out both beds. I set out tomatoes 2 ft apart, so with 4 sq ft for each plant. So, 2 beds is 24 tomato plants total. I gave away about 11 extra plants today once I was done. One bed is paste tomatoes, the other is "others".

Heard that gopher again when I was out, so this time, I just went and stuck a cinch trap into the hole he was looking out of -- this worked.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24032 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:24 AM »
fresh eating beans or dried beans ?

I would try them. I also would like to know how she made the syrup, I should do this, plantain is in my yard

PM
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24033 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
50' of corn
50' of bush beans
25' row of squash and radishes

Wife just got her 2 hives of bees delivered
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24034 on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Another raid to the random sellout place: 11 jackets and pants, mostly the good old vz.60 uniforms again. Mostly for my wife, but I scored pants in my size as well. Paid inder $40 for all.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #24035 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
100' of taters are in, and 25' of cantaloupe

What are you going to do with all those "taters"?
I live in earthquake country.
The street finds its own uses for things.
If you want to find out how things really works, study them when they are coming apart..William Gibson

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24036 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Whew, I thought he planted hundred foot taters...a hundred feet of taters makes more sense. Don't Russians make vodka from taters?
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24037 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
 :spit:

Eat em, can em, store em

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24038 on: May 16, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
Whew, I thought he planted hundred foot taters...a hundred feet of taters makes more sense. Don't Russians make vodka from taters?

Real vodka shold be made of wheat, potatoes are only used for some of the cheap brands and for homemade samohon.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24039 on: May 16, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Real vodka shold be made of wheat, potatoes are only used for some of the cheap brands and for homemade samohon.

hard to get real vodka out here, if it doesnt say what it is made from, and it is American and cheap, it is made from GMO sugar beets. When I make medicinal tinctures, I look for one that says what it is made from, most often rye and European. Not to drink, for herbal tinctures.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24040 on: May 17, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
^ I tend to use pure alcohol for tinctures. BTW, the Shepherd's purse tincture works really well for skin/blood issues.

Not much done today, too busy forging some more knives (guess that still counts as practice!), but we've planted some green beans and the Iroquis white corn (heritage variety, bougt it on ebay, really curious about it). Yellow beans are germinating nicely in pots, we'll move them to the garden soon.
Checked my new fruit trees as I do nearly daily. They're mostly doing very well, one apple tree still bothers me a little, but I still hope it's somewhat "later" variety. Guess that's tre price you pay when you let family choose a variety based on the taste :)
Still waiting for the Lactuca virosa seeds. I wish I've read about it earlier, it may be too late to plant it this year.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24041 on: May 17, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Yesterday, 25' row of okra. 25' row of turnips.
No planting today, really need some rain before I go any farther. Gave up and put the soaker hose on this evening.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24042 on: May 18, 2017, 01:00:30 AM »
Bible, Pray, workout practice shooting

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24043 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
Tended the soaker hose on the garden

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24044 on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »
Decluttering : resolved the issue with my previous roommate, who had left his stuff here for the past 6 months. I went to the law library in the county building monday, found out what my legal rights were, and since I estimated his stuff was worth less than $700, my options were easy to implement. And, once I sent him a note explaining this, in proper legal terms, He came right over. After months of no-shows and last minute cancellations. Took his stuff and paid me what I asked for a reasonable storage fee. I like him, actually, but enough is enough. Last missed opportunity he had, not that long ago, I had offered to have him do yard work for 4 hours in lieu of paying storage fees -- but he no-showed with an excuse. That would have been the most lucrative weed pulling opportunity he will likely ever have in his life.  It is nice to have the space back in the barn, and in my front room. I have no extra storage, and being nice, I had a pile of more delicate stuff, his guitar, a pair of almost new wildland fire boots, a box of misc. delicate - Ipad, a few knives, etc... stuck here by the front door, a larger pile of furniture and boxes was taking up 1/3 of my limited hay storage space.

Made a chocolate cake. I dont know what part of prepping that covers, but, you know, chocolate cake. enjoy the day.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24045 on: May 19, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
And, once I sent him a note explaining this, in proper legal terms, He came right over.

Good for you.  It's amazing what a little "legalize" can do for you.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24046 on: May 19, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
Practiced more knifemaking and sold the knives in a couple minutes after posting pictures.
Practiced woodworking and made a nice bucksaw, 18th century style. I plan to add these saws to my line of products, so I needed a prototype. Also - I have another saw now :)
Cleaned a container that I'm planning to use as emergency gear stash, burried somewhere outside the house. A nice long tube, watertight closed, over 1m long and over 20cm diameter. Got it from an army friend, it was used for rocket fuel or something like that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:08:07 PM by Knecht »

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24047 on: May 20, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
 8)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24048 on: May 21, 2017, 01:34:19 AM »
Hooch maintenance this morning.  Threw some stuff away, mailing some stuff home, recharged all the PEDs and storage battery.  Read my RTL-SDR book.  I have one coming from RTL-SDR.com, I messed around with a coworker's and decided to get into it myself.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24049 on: May 21, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
I have been camping in some form, with other people's children since Tuesday.  Just now I treated an Eagle Scout with a nose bleed.  I didn't have my full size first aid kit, but did have my trunk bag that included maxipads. 

Yup, there's an eagle scout sitting under a tree with a bloody maxipad in his face.

That's not the grossest or weirdest story from this week.

In closing I'd like to remind folks that you not only prepare for yourselves, but random people you may encounter.  Twice this week I witnessed semi serious lacerations that needed stitches.  In both cases an actual M.D. was on scene, but no suture kit, gkue, etc.  Luckily we had steristrips in both cases.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24050 on: May 21, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
I have been camping in some form, with other people's children since Tuesday.  Just now I treated an Eagle Scout with a nose bleed.  I didn't have my full size first aid kit, but did have my trunk bag that included maxipads. 

Yup, there's an eagle scout sitting under a tree with a bloody maxipad in his face.

That's not the grossest or weirdest story from this week.

In closing I'd like to remind folks that you not only prepare for yourselves, but random people you may encounter.  Twice this week I witnessed semi serious lacerations that needed stitches.  In both cases an actual M.D. was on scene, but no suture kit, gkue, etc.  Luckily we had steristrips in both cases.

I hope you get plenty of patch-up practice,you really learn well when you learn under stress.The bloody nose is why I have tampons in my kit.I tey to keep a odd collection of 'make do' supplies and one of my Doctors see's fit I get plenty spare bandages.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24051 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:34 PM »
Been working with a young couple once in a while on storage/preparing. They don't have any in the budget to stock up. Living on the edge. Spending all their extra money on trying to start a business, while working full time.
The short of a long story, his wife and kid went on a trip, and the kid ended up sick, in a hospital. She has no money to get back, and he has to take off work to go get them. So that will short his pay check.
I gave him money for gas to go get her. Trying to instill in them they need to make their money go better, and to save some back.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24052 on: May 21, 2017, 11:18:20 PM »
Been working with a young couple once in a while on storage/preparing. They don't have any in the budget to stock up. Living on the edge. Spending all their extra money on trying to start a business, while working full time.
The short of a long story, his wife and kid went on a trip, and the kid ended up sick, in a hospital. She has no money to get back, and he has to take off work to go get them. So that will short his pay check.
I gave him money for gas to go get her. Trying to instill in them they need to make their money go better, and to save some back.

Good on you.
23:57:30

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24053 on: May 22, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »

So most of their problems are related to poor decisions,you just adopted a family.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24054 on: May 22, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »
So most of their problems are related to poor decisions,you just adopted a family.

Yes. Good kids, just headed in the wrong direction financially.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24055 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »

Yes. Good kids, just headed in the wrong direction financially.

It is good that you can help and even more important that you give them good advice. It is very different from what the "culture" right now says that they should do or prioritize.

I have been doing something similar, on the advice end, with the young lady who is my IHSS provider(In Home Support Services, mostly cleaning, but she is young, so moving items like my feed out of the car, and since she likes gardening, we will blow off the house once a month or so and she helps in the garden) And, while not everything, by a long shot, is implemented, she realy appreciates the support. I see some things settling a bit for her, if it was one of my own children, I would find the pace incredibly slow, but then, if it was my own child, other support would have been there at many junctions earlier in her life, etc.... So, I am disconnected enough that I am also not bothered as things moveslower.

One of the larger financial ones I did for her was helping her get her taxes done last month, using the free online HRBlock, on my laptop, here at my house after she was done working for me. Large refund, with associated advice. I have sent home a couple toddler board books the last few times, along with the number of the head start, which will make house calls ( toddler should have more words than he does). Last fall, when she was more unsettled, I picked her and the baby up in my car and drove her down to the weekly free produce distribution and resource center, twice. You can lead a horse to water.... and she does take some sips

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24056 on: May 22, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
Education Support: took a road trip with my youngest to large university area, put a deposit on apartment. She and her roomate used modern technology to shop for free furniture on the drive, but they started late in the day, so much was already gone. Picked up a kitchen table for a few bucks, and then a dryer for my middle child for a low price. Apartment will do fine for the girls. Last week was finals and graduation here, I had lots of food and drink for a post graduation with family friends here. Of course, furniture means more clutter here until they get it all there later.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24057 on: May 22, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
Learned something new about repairing well pumps: throw it away before you start and buy a new one.
Now, let's see how the new installing will go. Also, pulling buckets of water from a 20m well on a rope showed me that I really should make some crank windlass and keep it around, disassembled, waiting for the next trouble time.
Tested both my new reloads of .40SW and my new fingerless gloves (Mechanix) that work very well for shooting. No clumsy padding where you need fine control, but nice palm pad that actually keeps the recoil down very nicely, even with pretty hot .40 load. Looks like I've finally found "tactical" gloves that actually do any good.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24058 on: May 22, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Learned something new about repairing well pumps: throw it away before you start and buy a new one.
Now, let's see how the new installing will go. Also, pulling buckets of water from a 20m well on a rope showed me that I really should make some crank windlass and keep it around, disassembled, waiting for the next trouble time.
Tested both my new reloads of .40SW and my new fingerless gloves (Mechanix) that work very well for shooting. No clumsy padding where you need fine control, but nice palm pad that actually keeps the recoil down very nicely, even with pretty hot .40 load. Looks like I've finally found "tactical" gloves that actually do any good.

Old timers, long ago, used to have a rope on a hand crank system above the hand dug wells.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24059 on: May 22, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Old timers, long ago, used to have a rope on a hand crank system above the hand dug wells.

They also had 'over the counter' heroin or CoCaine for aches and pains.