Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 3554979 times)

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24270 on: July 10, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »
Braved the heat and took the wife target shooting yesterday.
The weather has moderated some since Friday's high of 121.
At the higher elevation of our shooting location it was under 100 most of the day with clouds providing some shade.
I did manage to spill a gallon of water in the back of my SUV, going to have to come up with better water storage while off roading.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24271 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
  I don't see how she could hold the targets without shaking in such heat... ::)
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24272 on: July 10, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »
  I don't see how she could hold the targets without shaking in such heat... ::)
It's hard I'm sure, but someone has to do it...

1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #24273 on: July 10, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
I've been doing it consistently enough now that I'll claim working out. Two weeks of regular lifting down following a program. We also have been going swimming a lot and I try to get laps in every time. Did 400 yards yesterday. I was tired but it felt good. Working my way up to a 500 with no breaks. The 400 had a 45-60 second break in between each lap.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24274 on: July 13, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »
Forging (spearhead, knives, forks...), making items faster and better. Just yesterday I was told that one of my knives was used as a prop in some documentary movie about Washington. Need to forge several more knives to collect money for my new flintlock.
Dehydrating some thyme (medicianl herb, good to heal cough and breathing issues), as well as agrimony.
My fruit trees are doing mostly well. Some of the earliest, planted 3 years before, already have some fruit. Also corn and beans are growing nicely.
Leatherworking (making some more shoes and knife sheaths).
Still need to work on my reloading bench setup, finally received the toll organizers that I wanny use for my components.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24275 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Forging (spearhead, knives, forks...), making items faster and better. Just yesterday I was told that one of my knives was used as a prop in some documentary movie about Washington. Need to forge several more knives to collect money for my new flintlock.
Dehydrating some thyme (medicianl herb, good to heal cough and breathing issues), as well as agrimony.
My fruit trees are doing mostly well. Some of the earliest, planted 3 years before, already have some fruit. Also corn and beans are growing nicely.
Leatherworking (making some more shoes and knife sheaths).
Still need to work on my reloading bench setup, finally received the toll organizers that I wanny use for my components.

Karma for all of you consistent quality efforts.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24276 on: July 13, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
Thanks, Carl

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #24277 on: July 13, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
Yesterday and today:

- Moved 50 butcher ducks from the grow out pens, up to general population. On the last trip up, the trailer came off the ATV, and the poor ducks had a slight amusement park ride backwards down the mountain. Thankfully they mostly stayed on the road and came to a halt. I was terrified they had gone over the cliff and down into the house roof. (Told ya it was steep here!). Everyone was OK.. and I recovered from my almost heart attack. These birds ought to be ready to butcher next month. They are a crossbreed with Indian Runners, so I am not sure on their timing. We have all 50 sold to a single guy. FIXED THE TRAILER HITCH WITH A STRONG KICK AND WD-40.

- took the last batch of ducklings for the year out of the brooder and into the grow out pens after cleaning from the last batch.

- the last of the pheasants and geese hatched today, just waiting for the Muscovy ducks to hatch before turning the incubator off for the year. It has been running non-stop since January. I have not kept track this year, but yesterday JD said we have hatched over 3,000 birds this year, and we are not even in full production yet.

- Moved part of the mushroom equipment (8 loads) out of THoTH's front yard where it never was supposed to be and I could tell that TLoTH was getting depressed about her front yard that JD keeps dumping stuff into, so I took everything out of it, and put it away in its proper or intended places. I hope she is happy when she gets home. This included bailing out the solution I use for pasteurizing the straw, and then hauling it up the mountain to put back into the two 55 gallon drums.

- Moved the spare rabbit cages which have not been set up yet (as I am not sure whose house they will be living, at JD's family's place, or at mine), and rearranged and pressure washed my rabbit's cages. Reshuffled how they are put in, so it makes cleaning underneath easier.

- got the second coat of primer onto my hay trolley and grapple.

- picked up the lower sway bar bracket for my vehicle, as apparently I am hard on vehicles.  ::) Hope to put that on tomorrow.

- went to two salvage yards looking for something I need to build a building with. They did not have what I wanted, at a price I wanted, but I will try my 'tried and true' one tomorrow. We did pick up a boxload of oak dowels for mushroom production for $2. SCORE!

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #24278 on: July 13, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
More garage organization and I filled up one of my 5 gal fuel tanks. I need to get my reserves back up as I emptied them prior to the move so I wouldn't have to worry about spilled gas.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24279 on: July 14, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Garden produce is about to ramp up in *full* mode I think. Had to water for the first time this year.
Been doing some canning.
Blackberries are gone with the heat. Managed to get about 11-12 gallon picked.
Elderberrys are starting to ramp up. Will have a good crop if we can beat the birds to them.
Been working on some of the bee hive boxes and such, getting boxes and frames ready for 2 new batches of bees we have in 2 our our newly built catch boxes.
This will bring us up to 4 hives then. Wife is excited, I'm kinda ho-hum. Lol. I;m trying to leave the bee stuff to her.
Moved the 2 piggies to a new pen. They love the weeds that grow up in them.
Reseeded one of their pens with turnips, and the turnips are up.
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24280 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
  • Picked up 500 lbs poultry food of various species
  • Got first coat of paint onto the hay trolley and grapple, it looks SWEEEEET!~!~!~!~ (I am so excited about it).  Hopefully I can start hand-painting it tomorrow.
  • Picked up the salvage livestock feed -300#
  • Checked mushroom production tent, and found most species are running mycelium. 
  • Ordered my timbers for my woodshed/rabbitry,/toolshed. I should be able to pick them up tomorrow.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24281 on: July 15, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
Not much today, had a work shift at the range (which means extra money to spend on prepping and ammo supplies, so I guess is somewhat counts). But then we had a nice family evening when we experimented with candle casting, using the 18th century 6-mold that I got couple months back. Everyone enjoyed, plus making candles is a good prepping skill.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24282 on: July 15, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
Got most of my Ball jar order today, unbroken. Amazing stuff that bubble wrap is.  ;D

Stopped at my favorite flea, which is closing down, and picked up more used canning jars.

Went to town this am and met with a friend for breakfast, and spread some massive BS around.  ;D ;D

I'll probably read about it in the monday paper.  :facepalm: :rofl:

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #24283 on: July 15, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
  • harvested 3 pumpkins and made Pumpkin Puree. getting ready for pie season :) 
  • new garden outside work bench
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #24284 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
Going to be replacing storable preps with health preps, sounding like I'll be giving the dentist about $5k over the next two years. :o
Caution: Posting under the Influence

Failure is always an option.

Mind over Matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.  - Drill Sergeant

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24285 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
  • harvested 3 pumpkins and made Pumpkin Puree. getting ready for pie season :) 
  • new garden outside work bench

Pumpkins already? And post a pic of your workbench!!!

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24286 on: July 15, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »
Health: being good on watching food intake, I am trying to lose a few pounds, while I committed to walking 3 times a week. SO far so good.

Livestock : two broody hens are setting now. Chicken feed is expensive, I would like to have a regular buyer of 1 dozen eggs a week, like I do milk, to cover feed costs, but, so far no. But, I am also no longer so "behind" on eggs, only 2 1/2 dozen in the fridge, I am eating 2 a day and giving a way a dozen here and there. Lots of milk now, as the newly freshened doe is past medication withold time. So far, absolutely no disease or explanation of her miscarriage. Could be that she just got rammed by another goat in the wrong spot, or it is just one of those things. Her copper is a little high(not enough to think it caused the abortion), so we are recommended to check the rest.

Garden: Deer damaged tomatoes are growing back, lots of blossoms. Not much to eat there right now, chard, kale, a small amount of brocolli side shoots. Garlic crop was great. Onions ae getting close, I need to remember or look up how to tell when to stop watering ! I started from seeds this year, and set out "late", so I dont have any bolting ! First time in years. I lost bed soil fertility somewhat from last years medical issues, so they are not all large, we will see. I think it will be good crop though.

Studio: not much done, prep for plaster repair. I cant remember what recipe I used last year, I picked up fresh horse manure at a friends. Filled in a bit more of the drainage trench.

Wasted alot of time trying to help my daughter look for a car, hers was stolen in May, very tough market for used cars around here.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24287 on: July 15, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »
Picked another big hand basket of tomatoes, peppers, okra, beans this evening.
This is probably going to be everyday now for a while.
Can during the afternoon while its hot out, pick the garden of an evening.

Have 2 more hens wanting to sit. Pretty sure we will interrupt them this time.
We've had 6 hens to sit, with a total of 43 chicks. We've lost 4 chicks to critters most likely, as ours free range. We put the new chicks in the garden area within 2-3 days of hatching, then move them out of there and let them run with the adult chickens in a couple of weeks, training them in the meantime to go into the chicken house.

Got most of my ball jar order today. No broken jars thankfully.
Found 29 more jars at my favorite flea for 6 bucks.
Wife friends came by, she went to an auction and snagged 20 jars and some lids and flats for cheap.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24288 on: July 17, 2017, 06:00:52 AM »
Went mushroom hunting with my wife yesterday, we brought back an overfilled basket and a few more in a bag, plus a canteen cup of blueberries. Mushrooms ore partly cooked in a meat stew for today's lunch and bigger part is in dryer already. Good to know we've discovered a good new mushroom spot.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24289 on: July 17, 2017, 06:40:45 AM »
  Passed large group of prep files to be organized for thumb drive or DVD distribution and gave two new Ham radios to another for distribution.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #24290 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Built a couple shelves for the house. Need to caulk and paint one of them since it's inside and have one more outside shelf to build. Also swam laps again, I think I did around 650 yards before my kids started distracting me :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #24291 on: July 17, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
I went to the eye doctor for my yearly check up.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24292 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Canned green beans and salsa.
Added to many habanero's...  :stop:.......... :excited: :facepalm:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24293 on: July 17, 2017, 09:25:14 PM »
Canned green beans and salsa.
Added to many habanero's...  :stop:.......... :excited: :facepalm:

Make another batch/s without any, and when you open a jar of salsa, add it to  qt jar, then add in the hot one, mix alot, until at strength desired.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24294 on: July 17, 2017, 10:25:28 PM »
- Cert meeting, I dont usually go to these, but we are getting ready for a big camping out/simulation raining event.

- Organizing parts of garage, some tools put away that were at work areas, and trying to organize the screw shelf and nail shelf.

- Doing pretty good on the diet thing, but I still crave more food. Probably still the candida dying off and demanding to be fed.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24295 on: July 20, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »
Finally got some more brass to reload for my antique bolt action. Now I need to save for the special dies (8x56R Kropatschek) and I can start. But meanwhile I need to pay for a flintlock and some armor plates for my vest, so it will take a while.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24296 on: July 20, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »
Been canning most days, adding stock to the storeroom

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24297 on: July 22, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
  • Canned up 14 quart jars of applesauce, and 15th was a bit short, as my daughter had some for lunch, so it is in the fridge.
Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24298 on: July 23, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »
Been canning most days, adding stock to the storeroom

You ever try 'BREAD AND BUTTER' pickled tomatoes? I only get some on occasions where or second crop of tomatoes get caught 'just before ' a frost and we bread and butter them as a semi sweet pickled green tomato and YUMM.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24299 on: July 23, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »
Hmmm no haven't heard/tried those carl. May have to look into those. We do like bread/butter pickles. We didn't plant any cukes this year.

Yesterday, canner load of salsa, load of green beans. Also picked enough green beans for a couple more canner loads. Can't take care of those until tomorrow though.
Taking GD to summer camp here in a bit.