Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 3652247 times)

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24330 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
Confused by this.  I was told (Steven Harris?) that it was best to buy stored gasoline in January, when the "winter" blend is in season, which has more volatiles and supposedly lasts longer, even with Sta-bil etc.

I don't know what Steven Harris recommends. But personally, I hate winter blend. Yes, it has additives. But those additives decrease the available power per gallon. I keep very detailed fuel usage records and see a significant drop in MPG when winter blend hits the area.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #24331 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Do they even put out winter gas blends down this far south?
It's a FedGov requirement, as far as I know, so yes.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24332 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
Not the preps: burning out the transmitter in my Kenwood TS-50S HF ham radio by accidentally having it on full power when running PSK31.  Oops.  :o

The preps: repairing it myself.  I've replaced the final transistor pair, and still no TX power.  Looking at the driver circuit next.  Found the service manual (with schematics) online.  Have oscilloscope, DMM, and power meter (with dummy load).  Have access to spectrum analyzer at work.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24333 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »
It's a FedGov requirement, as far as I know, so yes.
Hmmm, interesting.  Think I'll adjust my rotation schedule by a few months.  It'll be easier hauling those darned cans around on a 60 degree day vs. a 90 degree day anyway.  :)  Thanks, BE.

Sorry to hear about the Kenwood.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24334 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:26 AM »
did the second batch of red pepper sauce for this year.
It turns out that these peppers were mildly Hot...boy we are gonna have an interesting winter with hot bean soups etc.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24335 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »
Helped my wife to sort a new harvest of mint leaves and put them in the dehydrator. Another addition to our always growing herb stock.
Bought some long-term small stuff while I was at the hardware store. Wire, twine, threaded rod and such. Always good to have some around.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24336 on: August 02, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Not sure about gas additives, but gov requires diesel fuel to be a winter blend.
Has to be that way for trucks that travel south to north during winter months.
Otherwise your are continually trying to keep enough winter blend in the tanks if going north.

Prep.......
Lots of gardening, canning food stuffs for the storeroom.
Changed our salsa recipe a bit. Smoked a quart of Roma tomatoes on the grill and added those to 4 more quarts of tomatoes and our mix to make a good tasting salsa.
Will be making several more batches of this.  ;D
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24337 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »
Finished up yesterdays 11 pints of smoked salsa.
Today, did 21 pints of smoked salsa. PLus some for the fridge.  ;D
Gotta get in gear. We have tomatoes rolling back out of the back porch.  :o

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24338 on: August 05, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
Been checking on my fruit trees and the corn patch... everything seems to be quite well, even in the hot week we're having. Looks like it might rain overnight or tomorrow, but I'll likely get some water there, anyway. One of the little rowanberry trees I planted last Fall already has some berries! It's some sort of hybrid, from Causacian sweet rowanberry and Siberian hawthorn. Should be extremely resistant to cold and grow quickly. So far it's really promising and it has easily survived this year's long winter (last snow here was in May). Some of the apples I planted 3 years before are also starting to bear fruit. Plums don't look so well this year. Slivovice will be expensive :)
Hawthorns seems to have good harvest of berries this year, I want to try making the dried mash of it, like Ray Mears presented in one of his shows.
My wife keeps drying herbs.
I got several more orders for the canadian shoes, so I'm having leatherwork practice every evening now.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24339 on: August 05, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
Canned up a double batch of stew yesterday afternoon. Didn't quite get a double batch though. Only ended up with 11 quarts. Thats ok though, as there was 3 quarts of green beans in the fridge that needed to go in the canner, so all is well.
Continuing canning whatever we can (Hah  ;D) for winter food and adding to the long term storeroom supply.

Headed to town today to see if theres any bargains on sweet corn so we can can some up. Our garden corn isn't going to amount to much this year.
Remind me to not buy any more country gentleman corn seed again.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24340 on: August 05, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »
Hmmm, interesting.  Think I'll adjust my rotation schedule by a few months.  It'll be easier hauling those darned cans around on a 60 degree day vs. a 90 degree day anyway.  :)  Thanks, BE.

Sorry to hear about the Kenwood.

You're welcome.

Kenwood TS-50 has its final transistors replaced now, but it still doesn't develop any power.  Hopefully, I will get time to debug it this weekend.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24341 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
You're welcome.

Kenwood TS-50 has its final transistors replaced now, but it still doesn't develop any power.  Hopefully, I will get time to debug it this weekend.

The driver stage was the weakest on my TS-50 as it was biased a bit high in production and normally ran a bit hot. Most digital is safer to run at the 100% duty cycle (the AM or FM max level or 25 watts for most rigs and 40 watts on a few) and can really heat up the smaller radios quickly.
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24342 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:51 AM »
Health: continuing to walk every day, usually about 1-2 miles. I think I have lost a couple pounds last month.

Garden: pulled the onions today. Now they are on the deck in the shade. Picked some blackberries yesterday, in the fridge. Put out some potatoes yesterday, but too hot, so not all of them.

Food preservation: Canned greek lentil soup yesterday, but it is a canning failure ! I forgot that it had too much oil in it, and you could feel it on the outside of all the jars when pulled from the pressure canner ! So, the 9 pint jars of soup are washed off and in the refrigerator, and I will need to eat thru it to gain room back... Tonight, making a round of Manchego cheese, it has 3 times of pressing for 15 minutes at 15 lbs before I can rewrap and put it at 30 pounds over night, so, about a half an hour before I can go to bed ! started late due to the walk with my neighbor.

Residual Income: received my first call to Notarize something, so I am going to go do that tomorrow afternoon.

Prepping supplies : the bottom pan of my steam canner is pitted and ruined, so I ordered a replacement that came today. Garage sale finds today of a good vegetarian cookbook, and then craft supplies; lots of buttons, snaps and fasteners and other notions. 2 knitting books with various knitting needles and notions I will share with my eldest dd. There is also a half finished shawl/scarf I am trying to figure out what to do, I will likely check with another knitter in the area and see if one of us might finish it, and then we could donate to the church fundraiser this November, this garage sale of stuff is due to a death of a woman in our community, and this was her half-done project.

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24343 on: August 06, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
Gearing up to start a side business (in addition to my day job), so I'm researching that and getting tips from a good friend of mine that already does something similar.

The SEO company Jay's boss uses sucks, and they get paid a ton of money to not be very effective, so I encouraged Jay to learn it.  It will make him more valuable at work, make his company more financially solid, and give him another skill when he retires and wants to do something on the side.

Got my Yaesu programmed, but I'm still not hitting the local favorite repeater.  I think it's just a matter of distance, though.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24344 on: August 06, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Granddaughter and I picked 4 gallon of wild plums Friday late.
I've had them in the steamer/juicer since about 1 today. Just now winding that up. I have close to 3-1/2 quarts of plum juice to can and store.
We have many more plums out back. Not enough time to get them all.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24345 on: August 07, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
My white corn seems to finally start showing some cobs. About time...I hope to harvest some before it starts snowing :) But that's the point of my experiment, to see which corn (if any) would grow here nicely.
Discovered a place to go for flea markets (in Poland, not too far beyond the border), hope to get there earlier next time. Just happened to be there accdentally and by the time we came they were mostly packing already. Wish I had more time to go through the stuff and haggle over some of the old tools and such. Definitely gonna go there again some other time.
Making some new knife designs that ask for a little different forging approach, so I'm glad to practice some more. Also planning to try a sandwich blade.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24346 on: August 07, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Ended up with 4 quarts of juice yesterday, not the expected 3-1/2  ;D

So we picked another 4 gallon of plums late yesterday. Will probably juice em tomorrow. Leave em sit a day or so to help ripen some.

Garden picking and some cleanup today. First 64 tomato plants are calming down now, and awaiting the 32 Abe Lincoln tomato plants to kick in. I planted them late so we could get a break and have some later.
Picked another gallon of elderberry berry's today. Storing all of them in the freezer until we get time to make jelly.

Fully intended to get some canning done today, either stew or salsa, but after the goat roping rodeo this morning (helping the neighbor ear tag goats), just not enough time in the day. Maybe tomorrow  ;D

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24347 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Succeeded forging a sandwich blade. Also make some buckles to practice fine forgery and forge-welding of tiny objects.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24348 on: August 08, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Made up and canned 14 quarts of homemade garden stew.
Well......not quite 14 quarts. If we'd have added one more large mater, or I would'nve (is that a word?  ???) ate that pint sample while it was cooking....... ;D

Anyhow, we threw that jar in the canner with it's brothers.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Prepper
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24349 on: August 08, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
Well......not quite 14 quarts. If we'd have added one more large mater, or I would'nve (is that a word?  ???) ate that pint sample while it was cooking....... ;D

:rofl:
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24350 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24351 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
I handed out bags of raw peanuts to my coworkers so they had some long term emergency food they could grow if needed.
"Government and laws need to match the culture they exist in."  -Endurance

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24352 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
Moving dirt from in front of studio into the goat stalls, stalls lose dirt and become un-even over the years. My help never showed, so I have moved some yesterday, and a teeny bit more today. I will keep plugging away on it until I get help. I am a pretty sorry dirt mover, but I do need to increase arm strength, so a small amount a day seems as good as resistance bands. Small shovel loads, and about a third of a wheelbarrow at a time. twice, then stop. I do know how to move a half full shovel full of dirt without strain.

More plaster repair in studio, I think todays 2 layers will be about it. The reason we have had problems is the original plaster was done by a "work party" here, and I must not have overseen that one wall area....The new plaster I am doing is much stronger, fresh horse manure being the secret ingredient. No, it does not smell when it is dry ! You apply in layers, with some partial drying of under layers before next one, and spray bottle of water to not dry too fast.... This is easy for me, small amounts hand mixed in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, until it "feels" right, smooth it on the wall.

We also carried out the wood stove base out of the studio, and while I repaired the wall, my daughter swept, cleaned and scrubbed the cement under where it was.

My daughter helped me load the truck with dump run, mostly debris from siding fixing in June.

I brought home more hay a few days ago, she unloaded it today. Truck only holds 6 bales at a time, and they are no longer doing delivery from the feed store. I do not like that the barn has so little hay ! I used to have 3 rows of 9 bales, eat thru one row, go get another 9 bales. So, always at least 18 bales. Right now there is only about 10 total of alfalfa in the barn. I need to step up getting more in. The world is feeling tight again, need to make sure we keep our pantries full for us and the critters.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24353 on: August 10, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Pulled a screw from my tire that had a very slow leak.  Attempted to plug it myself, since it was the evening and local shops were closed.  Couldn't get the rasp to fit through the small hole and hesitated to use any bigger tools.  It's a nearly new tire and I don't want to trash it.  Shop will patch at no cost.

Am a little bummed I wasn't able to physically plug the hole however...

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24354 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
Pulled a screw from my tire that had a very slow leak.  Attempted to plug it myself, since it was the evening and local shops were closed.  Couldn't get the rasp to fit through the small hole and hesitated to use any bigger tools.  It's a nearly new tire and I don't want to trash it.  Shop will patch at no cost.

Plugs are not always as easy as many make it out to be. I've plugged a lot of tires over the years, and I still get one every now and then that throws a fit. I had a truck tire that I ended up having to replace because I must have broke a cord when I plugged it. Either that, or the nail broke a cord. But none-the-less, plugs are not always easy and not fool-proof.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24355 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
We began a reassessment of our preps in order to fill any gaps we find.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24356 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

I did 'in the road' tire repair for several years(Firestone and Goodyear) and I used a small file/rasp,with a battery drill, to open and smooth the hole so the plug would not be damaged by steel belts...not necessary for nylon etc,non steel belted tires. I used a typical rubber plug found in retail kits with cement . A plug often lasts long enough to be called perminent though more of my repair work was done with a quality patch and off wheel installation.
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24357 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
We began a reassessment of our preps in order to fill any gaps we find.

I need to do that after garden/canning season is about over.
I'm trying to hit that 2 year mark with canned goods.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24358 on: August 12, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Spent two days at the range as instructor (earned money) and did both some training for myself and also zeroed a new laser sight for my G27, tested my chinese drum magazine in the AK to see if the two work fine together (drum mags can be tricky and may malfunction in some rifles and/or with some ammo - my mix seems to work just fine - Yugo AK, Chinese drum, Hungarian ammo), test-fired my recently purchased antique bolt action (sweet!), also tested my BP derringer that I've kept loaded for a while - I was wondering how well (or bad) would it perform after several weeks. It fired perfectly, even with the percussion caps that were on it the whole time....I expected them to fail, as my area is quite humid.
Just about to do some work on the reloading bench, have that project unfinished for too long and I'm running out of reloaded ammo for practice.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24359 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Bought some beans and bullets.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.