Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4060613 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24720 on: October 31, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Congrats, BE ! That lks beautiful. Doesnt take much of a drop, if there is a long run, which you have, to get some steady micro-hydro power. Wish I has a stream, they are so cool in so many ways
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24721 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
Congratz on getting the land! Are you planning to build something modern there, or some sort of oldschool log house?
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24722 on: November 03, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
Forged a replacement crank for my car jack. Not much of prepping, but a piece of self-reliance. And surely saved money, which can be used for prepping.
Got a pistol sized flint lock in a trade for my knives, so I'm about to build a flintlock pistol, to add to the blackpowder arsenal.
Drying both the white corn and yellow beans for next year's seeds.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24723 on: November 03, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
Bought navy and northern white beans on sale at the local grocer's, for the storeroom.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #24724 on: November 03, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Swapped out the emergency food in our BOB.  "Hello" to Datrex, "buh-bye" to food that needs those dead fish smelling esbit tabs.  I've kept the food but now it's for "at home" rather than the emergency food for 72 hr bag.

Decided to start having "food storage Fridays" making dinner just from things we've got stored.  (With maybe one or two "cheats" of ingredients like spices.)

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24725 on: November 03, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »

Decided to start having "food storage Fridays" making dinner just from things we've got stored.  (With maybe one or two "cheats" of ingredients like spices.)

Great idea!!  :clap:

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #24726 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
I'm going to start a thread in the "food" section of the forums for it, but I gotta cook dinner first.
Right now the casserole is  just prepped and sitting in the fridge, waiting for dinnertime.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24727 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
Went to class for Utah CCW, and sent in form, fingerprints, etc.... I was now going to focus on an Oregon state CCW,as they do them for people from adjacent states who go there alot, which I am. But, on looking further, it seems like in theory this could be done, but in reality it is dependent on county and most wont ! So, I will be able to legally carry in most states except the 2 I actually spend routine time in. Went over how to legally carry locked and unloaded in CA

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24728 on: November 04, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
  A new Ham ,who is working to become my newest minion and learn a bit of the hobby...came by and we worked on my 51 foot ZIPP-ZEPP and it now will tune and operate 160 to 6 meters after a bit of testing and work. Chris also played ball with Brandi and mowed my yard with special work on some overgrown bushes....Before he left I gave him an Icom V-8000 VHF high power transceiver that I had repaired,a Big Stick antenna,A mag mount antenna and a good China talky. Plus the power supply for the mobile 75 watt radio and charger for the HT.

Brandi has a new man to add to her stable of boyfriends and I have some antenna help for my experiments.

Zipp-Zepp : http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=59870.30;topicseen
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24729 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »
Fall is always busy with family & the teens, and we are in the throes of tech week for my son's play...but still managed to get a few things done in the last month to 6 weeks:

Rendered tallow from the 1/4 steer we bought from friend.  Need to melt it down again & put it through some cheesecloth for final storage.

Canned: 15 pints pickled beets, 5 pints green cherry tomatoes, 7 jelly jars of ham. 

Made pesto for freezer and dried basil for the spice cabinet.  It was my first time blanching the basil before drying--it looks so much better, nice and bright green.  Also dried celery tops for soup, celery and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Have more cider vinegar made & ready to go into some old screw top wine bottles.

Bought 50lb bag if "dirty" potatoes and 50 lb bag of onions (about $15 ea( at the vegetable stand a few town over.  Packed them into old cardboard tomato boxes with lids down in the basement.  Last year that got me through the winter & spring before I had to buy any more.

Coordinated for a new to us "free" piano.  It's only 20 years old, and we are only paying for the moving and removal ($400)of our 100 year old piano that's been held together with spit & duct tape.  The old one is gorgeous, but the tuner said the only way to truly fix it would be a complete rebuild--and that's super expensive.  Why am I listening this as a prep? Well both kids play-so that's both educational and non electronic entertainment for the family (life without music would be very sad).  Also my son in particular is progressing to the point where I can see in a few years it being a lucrative side gig for him--churches, choruses, theater groups etc are always looking for substitute pianists. And even if the SHTF there will still be people and churches who want music. Setting my kids up to have multiple revenue streams is a prep for the future.

I cleared out & hubs tilled the front garden. (I've deep mulched for several years, it was time to till & add some lime). So that's one garden ready to go in spring.  The back garden still has chard, broccoli, beets & carrots going...it's been so mild we haven't even had many frosts.

Hubs finally got some mentoring on the bee hive.  He's comfortable now getting in there.  Our captured swarm (given to us) didn't have much honey stored so we treated them for mites, fed them some sugar etc.  A week later we put in pollen Patty, bee fondant, wrapped the hive and sheltered it with some hay bales.  We'll feed again in a bit, put in the entrance reducer & hope for the best.

Regular deer season prep has begun.  It's the first legal season for our son.  Opening day is in 2 weeks.

Reorganized & inventoried the freezers when the beef came.

Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24730 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Bought 2 new Starkist items we found at DG for a dollar each. Ready to eat tuna salad and lemon pepper tuna. We figure these might be better in the GHB other than canned meat.
Lighter in weight, and should take freezing weather better. Bag will eventually be left in the car if we ever get the bag contents all done.

We'll open them and try them out first before buying anymore for the bag, and maybe buy some for the storeroom.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24731 on: November 05, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
Bought 2 new Starkist items we found at DG for a dollar each. Ready to eat tuna salad and lemon pepper tuna. We figure these might be better in the GHB other than canned meat.
Lighter in weight, and should take freezing weather better. Bag will eventually be left in the car if we ever get the bag contents all done.

We'll open them and try them out first before buying anymore for the bag, and maybe buy some for the storeroom.

I like the lemon pepper tuna,but I like spicy stuff.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24732 on: November 05, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
Just cut some firewood.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24733 on: November 06, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Discovered very handy 2l stainless steel "cup" in my favourite hardware/homestead store, for ~ $4 - it will be a great "bushpot" for some larger kit. Maybe a car kit that I want to put together. Already have a bunch of various handy tools and supplies in the car, but want to build something more complete. A big cooking container would make a good start, plus a good box to put the other stuff into.
Ordered a Russian chest rig that's designed to carry large magazines, such as for Saiga 12 and 308. I didn't have any real carrier for these big ones, so will be nice to have this solved.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24734 on: November 06, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
I like the lemon pepper tuna,but I like spicy stuff.
Did some googling on the new kist products and there is quite a bunch of them.

So you've tried the spicy? If so how is it Carl?

Cut firewood today. Organized the front porch with firewood.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24735 on: November 07, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
Spicy is lacking something for my taste and some Texas Pete Hot sauce did the trick the first time.

What did I do today? I invited Austin by and we built a fast 20 meter inverted "V" wire antenna and placed it on a 15 foot tripod with one end tied to my fence and the other on a 10 foot PVC pole supported by a home made mast support (pipe ,welded to auto tire rim) and then we connected his coax to his Yaesu FT857 and a PC to the radio with a SIGNALINK interface....quick SWR check.....moments later Austin was typing a conversation to a Ham in Minot North Dakota on "HIS" radio and a crappy ,low to the ground,scrap wire antenna...The grin and his excitement at the discovery of the beauty of simplicity and he was hooked on Ham. Soon he transfers to Japan and he is now in a rush to get his 'General' class license as he wants more than CW on 40 and 80 ....something he can do in the meantime with the gear he has.

I enjoy being near someone experiencing the joy of the hobby.

He will be back today as he set his pelican case with his gear next to his car in my driveway before driving off.....without his gear!

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24736 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:03 AM »
Taught a long term food storage class for the cooperative extension last night.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24737 on: November 08, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
more firewood material brought home....

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24738 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
  Gave money to a man I know so he could go to his mothers funeral.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24739 on: November 08, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »
  Gave money to a man I know so he could go to his mothers funeral.

8) Karma

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24740 on: November 08, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Worked on the goat pen and building, getting it ready for goats again.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24741 on: November 09, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
finally ordered a set of steel ballistic plates

working on my dissertation so I can conclude my education and have that thing off my mind

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24742 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
Flue pipe and storm collar on house all done. Stove connection inside covered, stove re blacked. Ready for wood.  ;D

Goat building sidewall repaired. Ready for goats, except we moved one of the mares in there.  ::)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24743 on: November 09, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »
Got our new to us free piano.  Music=entertainment

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24744 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »
- House more weather tight.

I was able to have a bit of hired help yesterday, it is near impossible to hire someone for a teeny job in this area. I had to help, as most things required 4 hands. One of the reasons I couldnt do it myself. So, the garage roof I reroofed a year ago had never had the transition from the roof to the house wall done, went thru last winter with some plastic sheeting stapled to let it drape over that transition area ( didnt show from the ground at all) and there is deep eaves there. But, it likely contributed to how well ventilated the house is. And, this undone was stressing me out. Took this long to get help, and it is now weathertight done, still lacking a little touch up. we pulled nails and loosened all the trim and sheathing and slipped metal flashing to go under the sheathing and overlap the roofing. At that point one of us pulling sheathing and the other slipping flashing in. I will likely caulk the flashing to the roofing at some point. managed to seal the ends - corners at either end - which was tricky, used both the metal flashing bending around the corner, and under that flashing some of this magic stuff, something like this but wider https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-89-in-x-10-9-yd-Waterproofing-Repair-Tape-1207802/100197267?keyword=roofing+repair+water+proof+seal  . You need to have a roll of this, good for flashing problem areas, like I just did, as well as repairs that could happen when all stores are closed on roof or ? Then we put up one section of roof gutter, in the pouring rain at that point. and, a few of the most critical pieces of trim on the replaced siding done this summer and painted last month. This rain wasnt too cold yet.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24745 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
right at this moment I am copying file directories to a 64G OTG thumbdrive.
First Aid, Survival, Preparedness and Radio. I have run out of external HDD backup capacity, so i am getting two for the price of one, since the thumb drive contents will be accessible by my new-to-be OTG Phone.

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #24746 on: November 13, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
I got all signed up to finally become part of our county's Search and Rescue Team.
Have to pass 3 online FEMA courses (Passed one last night, more to do tonight), and if all goes well, I'll start training on Saturday.
This weekend is using a compass, reading maps, navigating, and knots :)
Then a weekend course the next 2 months, and I'm in!
Now... lets just hope it's not TOO wet and icky... I am in WA after all...

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24747 on: November 13, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »
I got all signed up to finally become part of our county's Search and Rescue Team.
Have to pass 3 online FEMA courses (Passed one last night, more to do tonight), and if all goes well, I'll start training on Saturday.

8) Good for you.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #24748 on: November 13, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »

Doncha love these youngins, all excited and rarin to go.

I did my aircrew survival training in Eastern Washington near Spokane.
Lucky for me it was June and not December.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #24749 on: November 13, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
Doncha love these youngins, all excited and rarin to go.

I did my aircrew survival training in Eastern Washington near Spokane.
Lucky for me it was June and not December.

This is officially my favorite response I've gotten on here... cuz it calls me young ;)