Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4852336 times)

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24990 on: March 12, 2018, 03:26:56 AM »
Picked up 15 bunches of asparagus Friday. Canned 13 pints of tips Saturday. That left about half the length of the stalk after trimming the tough end so I decided to make a potato asparagus soup. Canned 6 quarts yesterday and will finish today with 3 or 4 more quarts.

I also found my MityVac hand vacuum pump that I'll try to use to vacuum seal jars.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24991 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Maintenance in the storeroom. You know, putting stuff in place that you've drug in.  :rofl:

I need more shelves in there  ::)

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24992 on: March 12, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »
I need more shelves in there  ::)

Slacking off again huh? :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24993 on: March 12, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »
 :egyptian: :egyptian:  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24994 on: March 12, 2018, 05:13:30 PM »
 :spit:

This thing needs a thumbs up doohickey.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24995 on: March 12, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
yea...

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24996 on: March 13, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Been at the range this weekend. Siaga 12 runs flawlessly. My antique 1886 Kropatschek rifle with BP reloads (it can handle smokeless, but I don't want to stress it too much) is perfectly capable of repeated headshots at military silouette target at 100m. Good to know.
The tactical belt I've designed and made works very well, I'll put it among my favourite gear.
I had some major problem with my pistol reloads. Not sure why, as used the same components and tools I always do. Primers won't go boom. In two calibers, tried with five different guns. Back home, I primed several empties with the same batch of primers and they all went off at first attempt. Really no idea what's been going on. I thought the primers might have gone wet or something, but that doesn't seem likely after this experiment. Could the powder somehow be bad and corrupt the primers in complete rounds? At touch, the powder doesn't feel neither wet, not oily or anything. Any ideas?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24997 on: March 13, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
Been at the range this weekend. Siaga 12 runs flawlessly. My antique 1886 Kropatschek rifle with BP reloads (it can handle smokeless, but I don't want to stress it too much) is perfectly capable of repeated headshots at military silouette target at 100m. Good to know.
The tactical belt I've designed and made works very well, I'll put it among my favourite gear.
I had some major problem with my pistol reloads. Not sure why, as used the same components and tools I always do. Primers won't go boom. In two calibers, tried with five different guns. Back home, I primed several empties with the same batch of primers and they all went off at first attempt. Really no idea what's been going on. I thought the primers might have gone wet or something, but that doesn't seem likely after this experiment. Could the powder somehow be bad and corrupt the primers in complete rounds? At touch, the powder doesn't feel neither wet, not oily or anything. Any ideas?

Do the primers show signs of being properly struck?
If they 'pucker around the pin strike,they may have a deeper than design pocket or not fully seated...the anvil is not 'armed' when not stressed into priming compound as when fully seated.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24998 on: March 13, 2018, 10:53:22 PM »
Firing pin dents are as usual. Attempted to fire them in three different Glocks, Ruger P89 and PC9 carbine, all of these being regularly used guns that have good reliability record. As for seating the primers, I've seated them like I always do. Primer pockets shouldn't be a reason for such mass malfunction, as the brass was a mix of various brands. Plus I used the same brass supply and same primers on the same press when I came back home and they all went boom.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24999 on: March 14, 2018, 12:59:38 AM »
Knechet, by saying "same components" do you mean primers from the same exact box?
Or same type from same brand?
Over here, we had a case of harder metal than usual primers, coming from S&B probably, that Glocks would missfire (though not at that an alarming rate).
CZ75 breezed through them fine.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25000 on: March 14, 2018, 04:12:18 AM »
It is a mystery...

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25001 on: March 14, 2018, 06:06:20 AM »
Knechet, by saying "same components" do you mean primers from the same exact box?
Or same type from same brand?
Over here, we had a case of harder metal than usual primers, coming from S&B probably, that Glocks would missfire (though not at that an alarming rate).
CZ75 breezed through them fine.

Possible some rifle primers got mixed with pistol primers. Primer cups are not the same toughness of material. As you well know rifle and pistol primers have the same size ODs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25002 on: March 14, 2018, 06:12:18 AM »
Possible some rifle primers got mixed with pistol primers. Primer cups are not the same toughness of material. As you well know rifle and pistol primers have the same size ODs.

But he said firing pin strikes looked normal .. Only time I had this sort of thing happen is when penetrating oil was used in the loading equipment and worked itself into the primed brass.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25003 on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:06 AM »
But he said firing pin strikes looked normal .. Only time I had this sort of thing happen is when penetrating oil was used in the loading equipment and worked itself into the primed brass.

:facepalm: Yes he certainly did. I have no idea what a pistol strike on a rifle primer would look like. It's been years since I reloaded anything. Could be defective primers, the anvil not fitting properly or malformed. Not much to go wrong, contaminated priming mixture, manufacturing defects. All defects might not be in one box so....

Contact manufacturer with the lot number, ask questions.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25004 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Trying to finish up the garden area today. Maybe till today or tomorrow.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25005 on: March 14, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
Garden : Seeds going in greenhouse. Sprouted: tomatoes, red russian kale, rainbow chard, Newburg onions, and one italian pepper so far.

Blanket/warmth projects :
- Joined the quilt guild, brought home this months block of the month instructions, and "thank you" square instructions, seems a good way to try it out, and learn a few skills, to be only responsible for squares.
- Pendelton scrap blankets. Couldnt wait for the white scraps to meander down here, so ordered 10 pounds of colorful scraps, and they got here today ! What fun, went thru it, I have 2 types, so enough strips of the thicker, blanket wool that I should be able to get a blanket more than 7 ft by 7 ft. And then, enough of the thinner cotton warped, wool weft camp  blanket headers to do a throw. These will be for christmas gifts, the more boring white will be for here. This cost me almost 50% premium, due to CA sales tax and shipping over what one would pay at the store in Portland.
- just keep plugging away at the knitted squares for the knitted scrap blanket.

sewing/clothing: Not much progress. Picked up a few used, vintage patterns. Cut out the PDF bought pattern, I dont think I like downloadable patterns ! That was a pain.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25006 on: March 14, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
Knitted blanket huh. Reminds me we have a knitted cover my wife made that we use. Just granny squares but that thing is really warm. Doesn't matter if on the bed or you're sitting in a recliner watching TV. Nice.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25007 on: March 14, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
About the reloads problem: I don't regularly reload rifle rounds, so despite I do have some rifle primers, it's impossible they got mixed into the pistol ones, they're kept elsewhere.
By the same components I mean that I've had some older and newer primers and used some of each. All were SB brand and I never had an issue with them. All the old ones and all the enw ones were bought at once, 1000pcs package of each. All were stored in the same drawer. After finding the problem, I used some of each (old and new batch) to prime empty brass and it all worked perfectly.
As for oil, I was thinking about that, but I only oil the piston of the press and the priming tool seems to be completely dry.

Other than reloads: Checked the property, found some dead trees to take down for firewood. My young fruit trees generally seem to be doing well, hope their sprouts won't get freeze-burnt, as a last wave of frost is expected over the weekend.
Made a 1750's French army haversack for reenactment, was a nice practice of sewing and leatherworking.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25008 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
Finally got the time to finish manuring the garden. Just barely had enough to give it a good coverage. It's about 60x85
Picked another spot over by the corral that we will till and put some beans and corn in. Maybe some squash also. I have some 12" long pallet panels I can throw up there to keep the horses out.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25009 on: March 17, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
Got the freezer defrosted and cleaned out the pantries. Took inventory of what I have and made sure rotation of dates were in order. Now I know what I really need to start planting. Still to cold to plant and another N. Easter is heading our way. So hoping after that passes we can start getting the garden ready and start planting.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25010 on: March 18, 2018, 04:59:01 AM »
  Washed out my dog's food and water bowls. She insists on fresh and clean.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #25011 on: March 18, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
Making progress on my Alabama homestead.  Within the last 3 weeks:

• Contracted for the clearing of about 2 acres where the house will go, and started discussion with contractor for more clearing to be able to straighten our "driveway".
  • Using my JD 2150 tractor & a borrowed post-hole digger, augered 3-1/2' deep 12" diameter holes for 6x6 posts to support a 12x24 pole barn. Can't go any lower than 3.5' because of huge rock formation under the whole barn area. :-( The barn will be enclosed, and will be my "base of operations" on the land until we get more buildings or a home there.  (I'm renting a house in town, about 10 miles away.)
  • Lots of bush-hogging of blackberry, privet, and small pine tree areas.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #25012 on: March 18, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
Hi Backwoods, good to see you again.

Me... inventoried some food and bike parts.  Hard to stay on top of keeping things in good order and topped off.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25013 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »

• Lots of bush-hogging of blackberry
Oh oh......they sure make some great jam or jelly.
Course if yours is like ours, you have way more thickets than you can pick.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25014 on: March 21, 2018, 07:37:08 AM »
- Added the last kind (Azithromycin) in my small antibiotics stock.

- Finished the fourth and last installment of what became a full blown "Wartime Conscript's Guide" in my blog.
And while exhausted, I am already toying with the idea of turning it into a downloadable PDF. :facepalm:

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25015 on: March 21, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
Still keeping my rice/meat diet. Tightened my belt by two holes in 3 weeks. Burning through my rice supply for sure! My advice for hoarding rice, with the idea of possibly eating nothing else for a long time: buy Basmati rice. Tastes good by itself, plus it seems to be one of the best types for making you feel "full" due to glycemic index or whatnot. I don't really care about the details, I just know it works. I had to buy more Basmati for the diet, as my main stock was Yasmine rice and that doesn't taste so well to me, I'll keep it for use with regular meals. Only bought 4kg of the Basmati now, as I'm expecting a price drop on large 4,5kg packs coming soon. Those 4kg will be enough for the next 10 days.

Disassembled some of the disappointing reloads I made last time, trying to figure out what made so many primers fail. Investigation in progress, by now powder is a main suspect, as it seems to contain some irregular weird grains and no primers from the same supply I used for the problematic ammo did fail when I pressed them in cases and tried to pop them in a pistol. Not sure if bad powder can actually corrupt the primers, but so far it seems to be the only explanation.

Received a package from Brownells. Once I've solved out the primer problem and start reloading again, I'll have some nice stackable sealed boxes for it. Also the ACE Skeleton stock came in the same package, so my Saiga 12 project is slowly coming to the finish. I've also finally received all the parts needed to make my custom sights, so I hope to start working on them soon.

As frost and snow have kept me from my forge, I did some woodcarving lately. Nice practice and some basic income as well. I need to start froging though, my budget is getting pretty low due to this production gap.

The jerky and "pocket soup" I made still look great.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25016 on: March 21, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
Ah basmati rice. That is the only rice I buy other than Arborio with I use for risotto. After eating basmati for years I can not stand the taste of what I consider standard long grain rice. I usually keep 20+ lbs. on hand.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25017 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
Head to town for a few supplies  ;D

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25018 on: March 22, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »
Working on my custom fiber optic sights for Saiga 12.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25019 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
Bought cases of canned goods that don't normally can ourselves. Not cost effective to buy whole pineapples and try to can them, when a whole case is less than 12 bucks.
Though I'd like to make pineapple jam or jelly this year. We make lots of other flavors, but don't recall ever doing pineapple.
Bought more butter that was on sale.