Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4603798 times)

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25110 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:01 AM »
You can use baking soda in clothes washing as a water softener and whitener or trisodium phosphate to increase effectiveness of your detergent.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #25111 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »
Spent the weekend at a living history event with friends. Good chance to test minimal gear. After twoo weeks of warm sunny weather, the weekend of course was rainy and cold here. Linen tarp to make a diamond shelter, plus two wool blankets to keep me warm. Copper pot to boil some water and a pocket full of dried meat, plus some bread and sausage. Two knives, tomahawk, powder horn and a flintlock carbine. That was about it. Was enough.
Plus I picked up the new flintlock on my way there at the gunsmith, so I've added another BP gun to the arsenal. Can't have too many.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25112 on: April 17, 2018, 09:52:34 AM »
Some detective work on soda. Soda is soda.
Baking soda is more refined than washing soda.
And yes, we used baking soda.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25113 on: April 17, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
Hmm,
washing soda---sodium carbonate, used dissolved in water for washing and cleaning

Making washing soda from baking soda https://wellnessmama.com/76866/washing-soda/

baking soda---sodium bicarbonate used in cooking, for cleaning, or in toothpaste

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25114 on: April 17, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
Firearms:  Went for long morning at the club last weekend and drilled with everyone on clearing the type 1, 2 and 3 failures.  Then, when under pressure, I got stovepipes (type 2), assesed wrong and cleared like type 3s, thereby dumping my mags.... Need more practice until it STICKS

Livestock:  Went and got more hay, exchanged the one bale I didnt like too while I was there !  It is still in the truck, once it is out, I will have 3 months goat feed again.  Picked up another 40lb bag of cat food as I was out earlier before traffic set in. ( I remember when bags were 50 lbs....) Turns out I had 2 unopened bags at home, so now with 3 bags I must have at least 6 months for those 2 cats, most likely more, to tired to do that math.

Sewing skills :  Spent time at our co-op fabric/sewing spot in town.  Picked up some scraps for this months block of the month in quilting.  I also found a piece of fabric and used one of the patterns there to cut out pieces for 2 set in pockets as I have a pair of sweatpants I bought that have no pockets, and I need to add some before I dye them. When I dug in my purse for some donation money, I actually found a 1964 quarter was in my wallet, but the volunteer thought that was so cool, I gave it to her.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #25115 on: Yesterday at 08:07:47 AM »
Hmm,
washing soda---sodium carbonate, used dissolved in water for washing and cleaning

Making washing soda from baking soda https://wellnessmama.com/76866/washing-soda/

baking soda---sodium bicarbonate used in cooking, for cleaning, or in toothpaste

Exactly... sometimes in the past, it has been difficult to find washing soda... I keep 2-3 boxes around now.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25116 on: Yesterday at 06:18:22 PM »
Our run to town for drawer liner (new kitchen) and some water pipe fittings ended up going ahead and getting our supplies, which probably half was for the storeroom.
I'm building up a stash of egg noodles and lasagna, storing in clear 20 gal tubs. (rodent proof hopefully  ;D)

Got the  kitchen water lines re fabricated so the fridge is closer to the wall. About 1-1/2" now instead of 5"  ??? Yea, one of them oddballs.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25117 on: Yesterday at 06:39:49 PM »
Don't know about egg noodles but regular pasta (lasagna) and ramen noodles rock. Had ramen noodles for breakfast today.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25118 on: Today at 06:16:46 AM »
  My Ham antenna assistant ( JEFF ) gifted me with something INCREDIBLE!  A micro BITX HF transceiver that is one of the coolest 6 X 6 inch radios one could imagine.

http://www.hfsignals.com/

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #25119 on: Today at 06:41:59 AM »
After a week+ pause, I'm starting another session of the rice/meat diet. Believe or not, I was missing the rice! Hoping to lower my weight some more. It works well so far.
Completed some most delayed forging orders and planning to try some new techniques. Need to improve my axemaking.

Maybe found a house to buy for home. Will see about that.