Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4904181 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25320 on: June 10, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
Estate Sale purchases : Main big find was a vintage all american canner, model 7 for $3. She must have had other canning stuff, as it had the mirro extra gaskets, weight and parts inside, which I dont need (yet) and a few extra water bath canning racks. This is pretty old. Anyways, it is the one in the second set of vintage pictures when you scroll down here http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/All-American-Pressure-Cooker-Parts.htm

Looks like I will need to order a new stem and weight to replace the petcock, as I dont like to sit right at the stove the whole while. This is not very expensive. It has a metal nut type of pressure safety valve, I read that that has lead in it that melts if the canner is over pressured. It cannot be replaced with the newer ( since the 70's) rubber. But, I also read that the petcock I am about to remove should be saved and it can be moved over to that position if the overpressure valve ever fails.

I also bought some used jars for $2, mostly half pints, a decent ironing board, vintage, that is sturdy, unlike the new ones, and 2 vintage clothes irons, all for $1/each. My youngest daughter will get one of the irons, she doesnt have one. I have an Iron, but it has a poorly designed safety shut off, so I will prefer this vintage one.

I had to go to our senior run thrift store to get a used wheel chair, and while I was there bought some 4x4 inch sterile gauze sponges for .06/each. They had some kind of large wound sponge and other stuff I didnt get, I will look in that area again. I dont know who much of what to have on hand realy, I bought 20 of the 4x4 pads, I have other bandage stuff at home, it is an unorganized mess and not inventoried.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:30:01 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25321 on: June 10, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Just a few things, rotated out some gas from storage with new "clear" gas which does not have ethanol.
Thought I found a good local source for 50 gal water storage barrels.  After reading the fine print, they would be good for watering outdoor plants, etc.  I would rather get a true food grade version of said barrel.  The price is good; and my goal right now is to use it as a water transfer spot when watering the out door plants.

pure gas station lookup https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25322 on: June 11, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
MM. Great haul on the canner.  8)

Like Brad, rotated some gas.
Maintaining the garden weeds.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25323 on: June 13, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »
- Trying to give away on the forum, the extra parts for a presto pressure cooker, see the swap meet thread, I will send this to someone from here for free, if you have use for it. I looked up the part numbers, you can too, there are modern equivalents, so the same sized gaskets and such work for older and newer it seems like. One of you must need this.....

- Food stores: Large store run today for cans for grab and go ( that will get peaches, canned pasta sauce, canned raison bread) canned beans, flour, salt, sugar for deep pantry. I note prices and such in the Winco thread.

- Fiber/ clothing : Before I was ever on this board, I used to have angora, fiber, goats. I have always been interested homesteading activities. While those 2 boys were cute and fun, it is not worth it money wise to have 2 fiber goats in suburbia on bought in hay, as opposed to just buying a fleece of wool. But, it was great fun for the kids.... They are long dead of old age, but in my cupboard was roving a friend and I had made years ago, half her wool and half my mohair from those 2 goats. I intended to hand spin it. Well, I didnt, so a couple months ago I sent it with my college kid, who dropped it off at a wool mill by her school. Today I got my yarn ! Mostly it is very even, some places not, so you know it isnt store bought. It is 2 ply, not too thick, maybe sport weight, she was trying for sport weight. I think she uses a machine, but it is cottage level operation, she and her mother were in this large outbuilding in the heat this afternoon, processing wool, carding thru a big machine... But, it is such a great service they do. I now have 20 large skeins of 50% columbia wool, 50% mohair. The intention is to give 2 skeins each to the children, in memory of their pet goats, so they can knit themselves something like a hat or scarf or mitts. I want to make a sweater, we will see when. Maybe next winters knitting project.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25324 on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
Building a few bee boxes, the 6-5/8" size. Figured we'd stay with that size, as she can lift them ok.

Up to 5 hives.  ::)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #25325 on: June 16, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
  • week long fishing trip: filet/cooking fish, boat portages, and keeping the generator in good order
  • tomatoes are turning red
  • 4yr son and I dug up the potato box(and then replanted)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25326 on: June 16, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
Wife and granddaughters have been cutting up and preparing/dehydrating zucchini and yellow squash, which we are currently being overrun with.
Guess we could take the extras to the distant neighbors and stash them in their cars.
That oughta piss em off.  :rofl:

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25327 on: June 16, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
Took a carbine class taght by a local cop.  When I looked to my right I found Heavy G (299 Days author) standing next to me.  Course was compliments of the instructior as it was my birthday. Long day outside...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25328 on: June 16, 2018, 09:16:46 PM »
Took a carbine class taght by a local cop.  When I looked to my right I found Heavy G (299 Days author) standing next to me.  Course was compliments of the instructior as it was my birthday. Long day outside...

Happy B-day ! The course should be inspirational in a few ways

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25329 on: June 16, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
- Brought both the car and tthe truck in for oil changes this week

- Worked on Grab and go  ---

Go check yours, I just went thru mine and found a few things "borrowed"  and not there. I also rotated and added some foods. Most important is the butane backpack stove, and a pot, was not there.....

I have a list of a few things for the packs to get, fresh energy bars and peanut butter pretzels, I may let the current back pack meals stay another year.

I do this is layers.

- 1st layer is the personal get home bag in the car, which has certain items and can be an overnighter, shelter in car for 24 hours, then there are 2 day packs on hooks in the pantry, that has additional first aid, the backpack stove, 3 days for 2 people of non cook bfast and lunch with add hot water back pack meal dinners, water  treatment, a few more things. 3rd layer is the 2 5gallon buckets on the ground, under those packs, these basically are food to bring up to 2 weeks for 2 people ( canned goods, dry milk, mac and cheese, canned bread, with a bit more TP. matches toothbrushes etc....) If it was just me, with no time, even grabbing one bucket, as they are almost identical inside, can turn an evac time with days to go until gov help, into a much more pleasant experience.

So, I went thru layers 2 and 3 today. The buckets are pretty close now to what I want there, date code updated, and also pretty full. I would like to see if I can squeeze in a can of butter into each, and wrote down to add tea bags. I realy like tea. The day packs need some work, most of the on-the-move foods need to be rotated out, and I wonder if there should be a basic shelter tube in there. I need to refill the 5 gallon water that sits next to the 2 5 gallon food buckets.

There are more layers that can be added....next layer in my set up, is do I grab the sleeping bag, tents on the way out ? So, yes, I have also been working on cleaning up that area. Entropy had struck. More straightening out organizing to do , and a bit of rodent clean up, But it is alot better again. Basically, in a time crunch, you would walk out by going into the pantry, grabbing the 2 day packs, and the buckets/water if time and free hands ( or run back in if time), out the other door into the garage, where you can reach up to a shelf as you walk by and grab x number of sleeping bags out of the sleeping bag box and either the small or the large tent, which are right next to it. If you realy had time and room, there is on that shelf car camping gear, like a larger and better stove, chairs, table, a better equipped camp kitchen box, etc.... But at least once a year, you have to rearrange a bit due to inevitable entropy effects that attack pantries and garages.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:52:41 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25330 on: June 17, 2018, 05:12:18 AM »
Wife and granddaughters have been cutting up and preparing/dehydrating zucchini and yellow squash, which we are currently being overrun with.
Guess we could take the extras to the distant neighbors and stash them in their cars.
That oughta piss em off.  :rofl:

Ack.  Our gardening season is so late & much shorter here in NY.  My garden is in, and I started with a squash seedling, but I only just had the first flowers appear.

On a productivity note-I got all the hand weeding done around the beans, carrots & beets.  Germination was spottier than I had hoped.  I’m going to plant s few more rows.  A ton of my beans didn’t come up at all-different kinda, so not a problem with a particular lot.  I’m thinking something ate them.  Anyway I replanted the empty spots on the trellises a few days ago (poke beans).  When the garlic comes out later in the season I’ll plant those two short rows with bush beans-so I’ll have beans regardless. 

This last week I also netted my peach tree.  What a pain that was.  But it seems to be successfully keeping the squirrels away from my baby peaches.

Went to a wine tasting with the hubs last night and bought a case of wine...does that count?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25331 on: June 17, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »
I've had a germination problem also. And, some plants have been just sitting there for 6 weeks, surviving and sluffing off.  >:( Cantaloupe and bush beans.

Done some weeding today.

Overall I'm not to happy with the garden this year. I've had some pepper plants to die. along with some seedsnot coming up, even after replanting.
I've had a tomato plant die, and 2 more looking sickly.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25332 on: June 18, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
Garden : My garden is latest of them all.... anyway, we started seeds in flats yesterday, cucumber, winter squash, peanuts, sorgum, summer squash. Yep, yesterday. I germinate indoors as I have better success, then transplant. Yesterday we also transplanted out the basil. Today I harvested chard that was in the way, my youngest did bedprep/weeding. May get a harvest, just barely in time for the long season ones, that puts mid october for harvest date  of peanuts.  Luckily, we usually have a long warm fall, indian summer. so we will see.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25333 on: June 18, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
Some weeding, watering this evening. We need rain as we're beginning to burn up.
Started my third round of watering already. I don't think I've ever watered over twice in a season.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25334 on: June 19, 2018, 02:36:26 AM »
Canned the last of 14 quarts of cushaw for the store room. Still have 2 or 3 quarts I'll bake for supper.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25335 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
Some garden work after I got home.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25336 on: June 20, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Brewed 10 gallons of beer. 

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25337 on: June 20, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Do you need any help with that Smurf?  :beer:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25338 on: June 20, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
Brewed 10 gallons of beer.

Concentrated grain storage....great idea! :beer:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25339 on: June 22, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »
Lets see......

Town run for some storeroom supplies. We use, replace often so we can rotate several different things.

Also I have 3 different innerweb bbq sauces I've wanted to try out. After making the RABBQ sauce recipe that Redman threw at me, and it was a success, I was hungry for others.
I ran across a southern style pineapple bbq sauce recipe so I whipped it up this afternoon.
Only ingredient lacking (seems we're always short one????  ???) was onion powder. I really really really thought I had bought all ingredients for the next 3 sauces. But..... ::)

So anyways, this one I made a sample of, almost a pint, will about give ya brown sugar freezeup  :facepalm: , and has a slight pineapple taste, but it's darn good. So I'll be redoing the amounts on the recipe so I can can  ;D up a load of this stuff.  ;D

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25340 on: June 22, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
Garden : A few days ago I set out the pepper plants, and my youngest planted early sweet corn. In the greenhouse, the cucumbers, peanuts and sorghum are sprouting. No word from teh summer or winter squash seeds yet.

House: my stressor has been fixing the downstairs bathroom. Right now, floor ripped up, toilet taken out earlier in the week, part of the ceiling off . So far, so good. I just realized some of my assumptions on floor prep may have been off -- and, seems that is so. My assumptions were wrong. In my upstairs bathroom I screwed down 1/2" cement board on the tongue and groove, plank, subfloor  and tiled. It has been great.  I have found out that this is not recommended, and that I should put down 1/2 inch plywood, and then backerboard. But, that is higher than I wanted. Main reason is that I had wanted it the same height as hall flooring. A secondary thing I noticed is that I have not taken out the sink cabinet, I dont even know how it is connected to wherever, and it is on top of old particle board

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25341 on: June 23, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
Sink cabinet usually screwed to the wall at the back, inside top of cabinet.
Remove the basin first.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25342 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »
 Canned 7 pints of BBQ sauce this morning.

Online Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #25343 on: June 25, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
Over the weekend we attended the WA State Search and Rescue conference.
We had an opportunity to take some great courses that crossed over into Preparedness. 
Situational Awareness, and the reality of body recoveries were both great classes.
The one that was most "prepper" related though, was an Urban Disaster class.
WA State is trying to begin the implementation of SAR volunteers as first responders in local disasters such as earthquakes, etc.
We are going to get the opportunity to do an in depth training in October for urban response that sounds incredible. 
Learning how to safely enter fallen buildings, get out any survivors, know how to make the decision of which of these people comes first when you can only save one.  It's going to be a lot, but sounds like it is going to be an amazing opportunity.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25344 on: June 25, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Canned 7 pints of BBQ sauce this morning.

8)

I'm planning on canning up my new accusation, the pineapple brown sugar sauce.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25345 on: June 26, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
Sounds good.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25346 on: June 28, 2018, 12:09:38 AM »
Garden:  winter squash seeds have sprouted in the green house.  So has the Indigo.  Dug out the tomato cages and have them set, I need more though.  Sweet corn is sprouting out in the bed. 

Livestock:  Broody hen finally went broody this year, a bit late, but I'll take it.  If it doesnt get too hot, should have chicks in 3 weeks.  She has eggs from 3 or 4 days, 10 eggs.  I marked them with an X today, so no more in the clutch for this set. 

Bathroom:  We are not moving the bathroom cabinet, who needs toe kick room on a bathroom cabinet anyways ? ( the floor is getting higher).  We had 1/2 inch cdx screwed down over the subfloor.  My youngest went under the house before carpenter came over and took a hacksaw to the ABS plastic toilet waste line, and the old shower drain line, and we pulled them out of the floor.  Just in time.  He also cut out the hole in the same spot for the toilet in the new plywood. ( My subfloor is 2" thick tongue and groove boards under the plywood.  Once the walls are on, we will put down cement backerboard over the plywood)  I tried out my electric caulk gun on various places -- dont laugh, I am old with no hand strength, it works realy well, uses teh battery that my other cordless tools use.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25347 on: June 28, 2018, 04:42:32 AM »
Picked the first batch of ripe tomatoes, after the chickens worked them over. Arrgghh

Yea the gate was left open.

Garden is lookin better. But of course after the water storm we had Tuesday, all the corn is down again.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #25348 on: July 01, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »
Added 2lbs. of ground yellow mustard and 5lbs. of whole yellow mustard to my spice collection. Some of this will be used to make Dijon style mustard to add to the condiment collection. Ordered 1lb. whole blackpepper corns which will go into the mustard, some pickles probably and the spice collection.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25349 on: July 01, 2018, 08:19:28 AM »
  Restocked my EDC  possibles bag  with CASH, spare keys, snacks,micro towels,batteries,tools ,ostomy needs,recharged radio and added USB cable and adapter (AC) to the small,but handy med bag as it is my support system when I go out of my BOL or home.