Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5068757 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25350 on: July 01, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
Picked blackberries for canning yesterday. Bought sweet cherries for canning.
12 pounds of cherries.  ::)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25351 on: July 01, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Bought sweet cherries for canning.
12 pounds of cherries.  ::)

They don't give those things away do they.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25352 on: July 01, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »

Only when they get "FUZZZY"

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25353 on: July 01, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »

No sir. I'm also thinking I might be banned from the cherry's also after this.  :facepalm:

Carl
Only when they get "FUZZZY"

Correct. Lol

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25354 on: July 01, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
No sir. I'm also thinking I might be banned from the cherry's also after this.  :facepalm:

Correct. Lol

I just looked at a recipe for cherry jam. 2 lbs. and sugar makes 4 half pints or was it pints. Anyway I don't have a cherry pitter and ain't gonna pit that many without one. Besides it would be so good wife would eat it all before I got any jam. That's a fact Jack.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25355 on: July 01, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »
3#'s equal about 6-7 half pints if I remember correctly.
I'll know soon......probably tomorrow.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25356 on: July 02, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Pitted and processed/canned 27 half pints of cherry jam.

Hey Red, that took aprox 12 #'s of cherries. So 24.00 samolions of cherries + some sugar and pectin, we have less than a dollar per jar. Oops gotta count lids.

Steamed 10 quarts of blackberries.

Headed back out to pick more blackberries.  ;D (darn ticks could leave and that wouldn't bother me)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25357 on: July 03, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
So 2 bucks a pound on the cherries, probably not a bad price all things considered. Freaking lids are expensive.

Steaming blackberries. That may be why I make jam with the fruit pulp rather than make jelly.

Ticks  :(

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25358 on: July 03, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
So 2 bucks a pound on the cherries, probably not a bad price all things considered. Freaking lids are expensive.

Steaming blackberries. That may be why I make jam with the fruit pulp rather than make jelly.

Ticks  :(

Yea. We've made the jelly, and jam both. Problem with wild blackberries is the seeds in the jam. So we decided to steam, which as you know takes even the pulp out.
I'd rather have jam, but the seeds are kind of a pain.

Turned the juice into 27 half pints of jelly today. Still have one batch to make.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25359 on: July 03, 2018, 05:54:33 PM »
 8)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25360 on: July 03, 2018, 05:57:44 PM »
 ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25361 on: July 04, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
Worked in the garden a bit.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25362 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
Canned 4 half pints of "apple pie" jam this morning. Got more apples but not enough for another batch. First batch took one more apple than I estimated.

Offline jdavidboyd

• Prepper
« Reply #25363 on: July 06, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
Had a licensed electrician wire a transfer switch into my breaker panel so I can use my generator to power my refrigerators, a small window a/c unit, a few lights, the computer, and the well pump if power goes down after any hurricanes hit this season.   No more extension cords everywhere.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25364 on: July 06, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
  I took a fall yesterday and caused some knee and ankle damage that causes me to cancel my plans to do nothing today and now all I can do is watch for the bodies absorption of pain killers and their effect . Morpheme and a TENS unit are helping a little though I have not heard of such a combination.With any luck,I can get back to doing nothing in a day or two when I am better.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25365 on: July 06, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
Well heck Carl, do get to feeling better.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25366 on: July 06, 2018, 04:36:13 PM »
Well heck Carl, do get to feeling better.

+1 Carl. I've had TENS therapy on my back several times. Never been sure that it helped but knee and ankle I can see that it should.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25367 on: July 06, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
  Mostly it helps with circulation and pain a bit

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25368 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:16 AM »
Picked up a couple items at the grocery store to add to the short/medium term stash yesterday.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25369 on: July 07, 2018, 03:44:40 AM »
  I had toast with real butter and good old apple jelly this morning,dog had french toast....she's gonna' make a great kitchen helper in the future.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #25370 on: July 08, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
Back from a week of living-history camping with friends. Wish I could call this a training for possible tough times, but I've done it so many times (plus I've lived in a yurt for the past four years) that such thing no longer feels any strange or primitive to me. I also taught my friends some woodcarving basics and couple people made usable spoons, surprisingly girls were more into that than men. I'm glad I could share some skill with friends.

Finished my PhD successfully, two weeks ago. I guess I must be the most educated blacksmith around LOL.  Not quite a prepping thing, but 1) the thing won't keep me from doing other things anymore 2) in case I ever needed to move to other country (such as running from a war or so), it could be helpful to present myself as a doctor, when asking for citizenship; 3) I can finally put many books and papers to boxes and store them elsewhere, or get rid of some.

Harvesting some fruits from trees I've planted in the last couple years. Feels really good and tastes even better.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25371 on: July 08, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
   Knecht, very good. Glad to see you back.  8)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25372 on: July 08, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
Back from a week of living-history camping with friends. Wish I could call this a training for possible tough times, but I've done it so many times (plus I've lived in a yurt for the past four years) that such thing no longer feels any strange or primitive to me. I also taught my friends some woodcarving basics and couple people made usable spoons, surprisingly girls were more into that than men. I'm glad I could share some skill with friends.

Finished my PhD successfully, two weeks ago. I guess I must be the most educated blacksmith around LOL.  Not quite a prepping thing, but 1) the thing won't keep me from doing other things anymore 2) in case I ever needed to move to other country (such as running from a war or so), it could be helpful to present myself as a doctor, when asking for citizenship; 3) I can finally put many books and papers to boxes and store them elsewhere, or get rid of some.

Harvesting some fruits from trees I've planted in the last couple years. Feels really good and tastes even better.

Congats ! Having the degree done is a good prep

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25373 on: July 08, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »
House repair : I always think house repair is a good prep, do it now and it wont fail when you need it...... some plumbing was fixed here yesterday.  Enough that we likely can continue on with getting the downstairs bathroom done. If 2 is 1 and 1 is none, we should have 2 working bathrooms, right ?  And fixing rusting pipes will make the water delivery system less likely to fail.  I do like indoor plumbing.  I think.  Except when it needs fixing, and then I think I should have an outhouse and a garden shower.   

However, I made the repairs with a false assumption, so I wasted a bit on alot of dielectric union spots, seriously, like 8 spots, when I could have just used any old union as the patch junctions will be temporary..... I went under the house with a good work light today and crawled around all over...... the plumber that said the rest of the pipes looked fine didnt look very well.  New plan is to tackle the under house pipes in phases. Phase 1 is to decide, since the rest of at least the cold water pipes are going to go is that there is plumbing exposed in the ripped up bathroom ceiling, should it just be taken out before the ceiling is repaired ( cold water for upstairs toilet is above the shower we are trying to get prepped for tiling ) while every delay means less time before my tiling helper goes back to college ?  Phase 2, once she is back to school, is to take out and replace plumbing from hot water heater and downstairs and upstairs bathroom sink areas ( which can be done from water heater side, I realy dont need to rip out that cabinet, the cold going to them has a definite leak under the house before it goes into the wall)   and then phase 3, long run to kitchen end of house , including to washing machine ( there is a definite small leak in the cold water pipe under the kitchen area) and just have one 6" long bronze coupler to the main house input.  If there is a phase 4, it will not happen for years, I dont think, and would mean digging up from the well to the house.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #25374 on: July 09, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
Picked a pot of plantain leaves, planning to make an ointment with it to heal a long-term wound on my leg. Will post how it went.

Cast over a 100 lead roundballs, 17,5mm. Good for smoothlbore BP guns, good for any 12ga, good for sling. Also surprisingly good for sale at reenacting events, people are getting too lazy to cast.

Also, thanks for the congrats :)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #25375 on: July 09, 2018, 06:27:40 PM »
Back from a week of living-history camping with friends. Wish I could call this a training for possible tough times, but I've done it so many times (plus I've lived in a yurt for the past four years) that such thing no longer feels any strange or primitive to me.
When something becomes so easy, it's the result of successful training.  Keep it up, and enjoy.

Finished my PhD successfully, two weeks ago.
Congratulations Dr. Knecht!  I know that's a load off your mind.

Offline garrett512

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25376 on: July 10, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »
I FINALLY emailed the folks at SafeCastle to get my free membership there through the MSB benefits.  I'm reworking the document package, specifically the bugout locations/routes while I'm on the computer. 

After that I would like to come up with a signalling system to leave along the route.  I'm not sure if you guys/gals recall what I'm referring but in one of Jack's episodes he said he uses something like a Pringles can placed a certain way as an indicator that he had been to a rally point and had to moved on.  I am thinking of using a chem-light wrapper could be pretty good, it's not the most comment piece of trash, you could weigh it down by slipping a stick inside, and I could throw the light back in my bag so I haven't lost anything or carried useless weight, plus they're fairly lightweight.

I know it's not exactly prepping, but I'm also writing my Walking to Freedom goodbye letter even though I moved a couple years ago now.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25377 on: July 12, 2018, 07:11:11 AM »
Canned 8 half pints of plum jam this morning.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25378 on: July 12, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »
Wife canned 7 quarts of spaghetti sauce.
Ground/rotated wheat for flour.
Found 50# bags of non gmo wheat at one of Amish stores some time back for $21.00

So we've decided to buy those bags and use those for our daily needs instead of using our 25 year Augason buckets.

Tending the garden, what there is of it this year.

Peaches should be available north of here in a week or so. Planning on getting a couple of boxes and canning those up.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25379 on: July 12, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »

After that I would like to come up with a signalling system to leave along the route.

I use an armadillo.laying on it's back, with a beer can held up as if he were drinking..Maybe you have seen some of my work?