Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5149320 times)

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25680 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
Received an order from My Patriot Supply.  They had a sale, so I ordered some for home and some for gifts for family members.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25681 on: January 09, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
 8)

I got a can of the black bean burger mix. I'm looking for Carl's review of that and haven't found it yet. I can't seem to get the hang of the search on this site yet.

I can get 10 year old threads to come up though.  :censored: :rofl:

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25682 on: January 09, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25683 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
This may be what you're looking for.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=62601.0

:facepalm:

Thanks. I was using the wrong search term. Thats it

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25684 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
i recalled the thread/posts but also used the wrong terms until I stumbled across it in the searches.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25685 on: January 10, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
I've been really drilling the lock picking skills the past few days. I bought a new (cheap) set of picks and a clear plastic lock to practice on. I've done it before and I could open most doors in under 5 minutes but the clear lock is a real way to learn. After a couple days working with it I taped it over so I couldn't see and now I break it open in seconds.

I think tomorrow I'll go to Fleet Farm and pick up some doorknobs and deadbolts to train on. I want to be so skilled I could enter a door with the speed of a person fumbling with a key. Nothing nefarious but it has been a useful skill in the past when I broke into a friend's house while on the phone with him because he had forgotten to turn off the water for an extended trip. A real B&E criminal can kick the door in, this is a real life skill.

It is, as all of us who study the skill find, a little terrifying that your front door can be bypassed in seconds but again the bad guys just kick in the door. I also like the prepper mindset that I'm not really locked out of *anything*.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25686 on: January 10, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Sounds good. I always thought being able to be a locksmith would be o good skill to have

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25687 on: January 10, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
I also like the prepper mindset that I'm not really locked out of *anything*.

Two thumbs up.  ;D

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25688 on: January 11, 2019, 02:54:46 AM »
I've been really drilling the lock picking skills the past few days. I bought a new (cheap) set of picks and a clear plastic lock to practice on. I've done it before and I could open most doors in under 5 minutes but the clear lock is a real way to learn. After a couple days working with it I taped it over so I couldn't see and now I break it open in seconds.

This is exactly what I got to practice in my TV hours.  Unfortunately my clear lock just  needs a bit of tinkering with the inner pin to open.
Youtube videos suggests starting with the way rake then move up to single tip picks, the way I tried and got disappointed.
My next session will be trying to "read" the pins one by one,  then work on tensioning and picking

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25689 on: January 11, 2019, 05:41:38 AM »
This is exactly what I got to practice in my TV hours.  Unfortunately my clear lock just  needs a bit of tinkering with the inner pin to open.
Youtube videos suggests starting with the way rake then move up to single tip picks, the way I tried and got disappointed.
My next session will be trying to "read" the pins one by one,  then work on tensioning and picking

I don't know if this will help but I'll go through my method. I use a rake pick and pick my way "going in". The big hurdle for me is that it's not a clean movement. The more you roughly bang around the pins the easier it is. Instead of setting each pin I try to simulate a "bump key" and just get the pins moving. I will say that proper tension is a the real skill.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25690 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »
Wife has been dehydrating apples. Finally got through with the onions for a while. Whooooeee

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25691 on: January 11, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
Wife has been dehydrating apples. Finally got through with the onions for a while. Whooooeee

We buy bulk apples in the fall when cheap and dehydrate with cinnamon. Kids eat them like candy. If we have any left by summer I blend them into homemade ice cream. Also good in oatmeal. But an ice cream sandwich of cinnamon apple ice cream and oatmeal raisin cookies is um... awesome.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25692 on: Yesterday at 09:43:41 AM »
Sounds good in the ice cream. We'll have to try that.

Dehydrated more of the Fugi's today.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #25693 on: Yesterday at 11:52:49 AM »
scored an extra cheap surplus ballistic vest for my wife

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25694 on: Yesterday at 12:25:28 PM »
scored an extra cheap surplus ballistic vest for my wife

8)

How's the moving going?

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #25695 on: Today at 04:52:54 AM »
Four of my daughters (& in-law) are going on a sisters retreat for the weekend in a cabin in WV. They are looking for some nice time in the woods.
Since I love them all, and worry about them, I put together some EDC packets for them to put in their purses. I gave them each a nice little red gift bag, inside each bag is a small zip-loc-type bag with a couple band-aids, alcohol pads, cotton balls, Q-tips, safety pins and a large paper clip. Also in each gift bag is a body-sized hand warmer, a granola bar and a small box of raisins. This gives each girl a bit of warmth, food, first aid and a couple small tools.
Also, since two is one, and one is none, I gave the four girls five bags - with instructions to give anything remaining to some girl that they meet.