Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5675783 times)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #26010 on: October 17, 2019, 04:34:44 AM »
All sorts of places selling cake decorating supplies but no flour. Probably have to have an account with Sysco or Grocers Supply.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26011 on: October 18, 2019, 08:46:08 AM »
Scored 18 used rm pints at a garage sale yesterday for 5 bucks. Like I need more jars..... ::) ::) . Well I could trade/barter them I suppose.  ;D
Also picked up a like new old style 5gal can can for 10 bucks. I spotted that I was on it like a fly on stink.....

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26012 on: October 18, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
 :happydance:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26013 on: October 18, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »
Canned 18 pints of chicken and broth.
Lots more to go.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26014 on: October 19, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
two weeks ago I took a very interesting seminar.
It is a special blend for the Greek police that soon was downgraded to a civilian version.
It is an amalgamation of Active Shooter protections, mass casualty handling (following the Stop the Bleed guidelines), and self protection from such events in general (terrorism, fire etc).
Got me an added Stop the Bleed certification too.

And on Wednesday i watched the movie "Hotel Mumbai"...kinda sunk in things

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26015 on: October 19, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »
At this very moment I am downloading past articles by Selco.
His site has gone through a change and all his blog article on his Bosnian experience are gone.
But not from arhive.org
They will make for a good read furing slow hours in work.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104061009/http://shtfschool.com/category/resources/

Offline sams

• Prepper
  • Incompetent Prepper in Chief - Africa
« Reply #26016 on: October 22, 2019, 04:09:57 AM »
At this very moment I am downloading past articles by Selco.
His site has gone through a change and all his blog article on his Bosnian experience are gone.
But not from arhive.org
They will make for a good read furing slow hours in work.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161104061009/http://shtfschool.com/category/resources/

Nice, I remember hearing of him in the old TSP shows, please consider making a zip file to put in Internet archive.org book section, because I imagine you used the way back machine right ?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26017 on: October 22, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
yes I did precisely that.

that zip file concept is new to me, could you elaborate, especially if it is legal etc?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26018 on: October 25, 2019, 05:49:38 PM »
With lots'a help (a teaching session for some friends), we all canned up 14 quarts and 16 pints of chicken.
Haven't split it yet, as they all had to leave before the canners cooled off.
Had a good day. They learned some canning.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26019 on: October 26, 2019, 04:10:00 AM »
 :clap:

Lots of work there. Helps to have been outside maybe. The cooler weather may have helped the canners cool quicker.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26020 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
Bought roast for canning. We'll get it canned up shortly.
Takes about a pound per pint.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26021 on: November 07, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
Wife canned 10 pints of roast.
8 pints of pintos

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26022 on: November 08, 2019, 12:00:11 PM »
Rounded out the optics with a set of 10x binoculars. They're super small and handy so I can always have them as we hike/snowshoe/ski in the north country. Very cool tool to spot where we want to go and for sighting the rare birds. Up here the loons and herons are a real treat. I'd really love to get on a hike and see a moose or a bighorn sheep. Seeing a brown bear in the wild was almost religious in its grandeur.

Also really pumped to do some longer range shooting. Prep the wind and weather with the binos, shoot with an 18x scope on a 6.5 Creedmoor, and follow up the shot with a 60x spotting scope. Oh, yeah. Range time with me is AWESOME. I make a lot of friends.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26023 on: November 12, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »

Wife worked all day yesterday steaming and canning elderberry juice. She processed 14 quarts, and is working the last of the bags up from the freezer this morning.

Then we need to get the cantaloupe out of the freezer and turned into jam.  ;D
Can't run out of cantaloupe jam.....

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #26024 on: November 12, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »
FInally managed to tune the gas forge so that it doesn't tend to perform Moon flights anymore. So, I'm able to forge again! Not as good as the usual coal forge, but until I can solve out the chimney, I'll have to get used to this. It heats quickly and buying gas containers is easier that buying forge coal, but I hate the sound it makes, I'll likely have to wear either earmuffs, or mp3 speakers all the time. But I'm able to revive an important part of my income with it, so I'm quite happy. Already prepared a first batch of my long-paused project of tactical hatchets, based on an 9th century slavic shape. Those will go to a factory for furnace heat treatment (faster and cheaper than doing that myself), but I've also made and heat treated four knife blades in the new forge. At first I wasn't able to temper them correctly, as the heated too fast, but that's ok now. I need to try forge-welding on the new forge yet, though the manufacturer said it's possible. It will certainly be clean enough, but will see about temperature.
So guess I should start stocking some extra gas cans now. Though if the real SHTF came, I doubt anyone would complain if I just used my old coal forge outdoors. I should also finally have some masons coming here for several tasks, so I'll see if they would fix the chimney in the antique smithy, so I could work there.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26025 on: November 12, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »
Good to see yer getting back into your forging

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26026 on: November 12, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
Steamed and canned 9 pints of elderberry juice.
Made 12 1/2 pints of cantaloupe jam.

Offline RipleyRuckus

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26027 on: November 16, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
Flipped another item for profit on ebay. Put the profit into savings. Recorded in my financials spreadsheet.

Stopped by a garage sale and bought a book to flip, surplus dry bag, and surplus H harness. I have a bundeswehr G3 Harness at home I want to make into a bushcraft rig that covers Dave Canterbury's 5 C's. Dry bag will go into my surplus alice ruck. I think I will either give the new harness to a friend or make a bushcraft harness for the wife.

(Did this a day ago) Teaching myself hand sewing so I can do basic clothing repairs. My coveralls have a blown knee so I stitched it shut. Its not pretty but its holding.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26028 on: November 17, 2019, 12:33:55 AM »
Friday i received most of the PPE i ordered.
I have started makng some preppackaged kits with them. A googles, N95 valve mask, gloves, nursing mask and gloves and a set of shoe covers per kit.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26029 on: November 17, 2019, 06:32:45 AM »
Canned 20 pints of Navy beans, 21 pints of black beans and 3 pints of bean broth.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26030 on: November 17, 2019, 06:55:35 AM »
Canned 20 pints of Navy beans, 21 pints of black beans and 3 pints of bean broth.

That should give ya some considerable savings on gas.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26031 on: November 17, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
That should give ya some considerable savings on gas.

:rofl: Yes

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26032 on: November 17, 2019, 09:20:13 AM »
I just rotated out a bunch of semi-bulk spice containers that had seen their better day...and that day was about 5 years ago.

The baking flour and a few other supplies will be hitting the compost heap soon as I pick up fresh items.  The math says to buy in bulk to to the cost savings over the buy as you need containers.  The cost of 2 small bags of flour is way more expensive than one large bag.   

I just replenished some of my dehydrated food stuffs.  I mostly picked up soups and a few other items that are easy to make.  I have been using some of my old instant potato soup.  While the taste is not the best, with a little bit of tweaking I can turn it  into a good meal.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26033 on: November 17, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »

Sounds good Brad. Have you considered storing wheat berries and grinding instead of storing flour?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26034 on: November 18, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
Sounds good Brad. Have you considered storing wheat berries and grinding instead of storing flour?
https://grainmaker.com/
Yep; have a few 100ls of it...Have a nice hand cranked one...after using it I said - cool, it works. Use wire mesh to remove some of the brand.  If I don't take this step, the bread does not raise very well, but is good to eat.  Remember, fiber is your friend.

I tried making corn bread the same way.  Two things, I now hate my corn bread when using popcorn 
And it takes forever to grind, re-grind, and re--regrind the corn In all, about 7 passes with that device I linked above.

After some work with that I did pick up an electric grain mill; and the deer are getting fat on my stores of dent corn, and popcorn.   The GrainMaker setup can be easily adapted to work off a small electric motor, or hooked up to a bike and do peddle power.

The electric mill works fantastic, and the 7 grain flour I make is worth the effort even using the hand crank.

I found that while the bread is works well using my wheat berries, I do like to add some extra bread flour to keep the bread a bit more fluffy.  I have a 50/50 mixture of red and white wheat berries.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26035 on: November 19, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
Sounds like yer set on the grinding Brad.  8)
We have the country living grinder and I attached a elec motor also.
Yes, grinding corn is a pita.
The wife cuts her flour with Trumps All Purpose. Other wise, the whole wheat is too heavy. We don't buy bread, she bakes it.

We feed all our dent corn to the piggies. To hard to grind. Haven't ground any of our popcorn yet.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26036 on: November 21, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »
While I didn't actually do a prep today I thought of one I'll take action on very soon.

Sitting here wasting time on the internet this morning it seemed that this PC locked up, it didn't respond to left mouse clicks. Re-start it a couple times, nothing. Finally restart and let it set till the HD stops whatever it's doing. Left click something and get nothing, right click the desktop and get a menu, left click doesn't work on it. Finally dawned on me that the mouse is the problem. Go to a 24 hr. Walmart close to me and get a mouse, everything works fine now.

The prepping part? After I got home I thought that I should have gotten 2 mouses, meese, mice and put one on the shelf. The old mouse will go on the shelf also because the left click will work but is very touchy about where it's pressed.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26037 on: November 21, 2019, 07:34:24 AM »

I've gained extra parts and old boxes over the years by building my boxes. I can usually get going again with used until I can get a replacement.
Earlier this year I was getting a black screen more and more after shutdown.
Finally ran the problem down to the monitor. Ran an old junker till I could get a new one.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26038 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »
I got an old monitor. It won't come on, don't know why. It went out during a storm maybe a blown fuse but I don't know where it might be.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26039 on: November 21, 2019, 08:12:44 AM »

Ck under the back cover, if it will come off