Author Topic: Get home bag  (Read 2661 times)

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
Get home bag
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:28:39 PM »
I think I've posted about this before but I couldn't find it. 

I work about 25 miles from my home.  Our home is pretty much our bug-out location.  We have another spot should something really foul happen but anything we can think of for that isn't really in the realm of possibility.  My children's school is between me and home.  I have slowly been putting together what I'm calling a get-home bag.  If for some reason I can't drive my truck home (or if it takes a while driving), this is the stuff I would need with me.  Here is my starting list in no order.  Please help me expand on it.

1.  Weather appropriate shoes (in the summer, it is generally boots of some sort/in the winter, insulated boots with thicker socks)
2.  Clothing appropriate for hiking (jeans, layers for warmth, extra undies and socks.)
3.  Food (mostly nutrition bars since home shouldn't take me more than a few days to get to, extras for the children once I pick them up)
4.  Multitool (I actually have two since I generally feel 1 is none and two is one about most stuff in life)
5.  Fire starter (right now it is lighter and matches)
6.  Water and storage for it (steel bottle is all I have right now.  We've manage to drink up the stored plastic bottles but I'm wondering about the safety of the plastic in a hot vehicle.  This is a weak spot for me right now.  With three people to keep hydrated, we will need a good bit of water.  I'm wondering about the water pouches for boats.)
7.  Water-proof tarp/blanket (I have one of those Smartsheets that is water-resistant and weighted in the four corners.)
8.  Sandals or watershoes of some sort for crossing creeks
9. Maps of the area including aerial photos and topo maps.  This includes a compass.
10.  First aid kit including bug repellant.
11.  Other stuff already found in my daily carry stuff (another multitool, gun, ID, camera, flashlight, light sticks)
12.  Bag appropriate to carry what I need.

What am I missing?

Gloria

Re: Get home bag
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
You have got it pretty much covered, I would add a small sewing kit, you can make it yourself with threaded needles and couple of small buttons, and safety pins.  The needles should be in a felted wool it will keep it from rusting. Straight pins.  This can all fit in the size of a match book.  Since you have a tool it might have an edged blade so you wouldn't need scissors. 
I would add those blankets for warmth I got might from emergency essentials for about $1.
I would also add the large black plastic bags.  You can fit several of them in a small zip lock bag.  Add tape like duct tape, you can make tents or shelters if you need to...you never know.
To your energy bars I would add beef jerky, or meat-ed jerky.  And for the children hard candy pieces.  It's a temp. fit to slowly energy.  A couple of packages of mixed dried fruit. Then little packs of cheese and crackers and crackers and peanut butter.
I would add pieces of paper folded up and a marking pen, so if you have to leave your car then you can write a note that means something to the ones that would be looking for you. 
A roll of nickles, and some change for a pay phone.  When 9/11 happened the only phones that worked for a bit were the pay phones.  One of those prepaid calling cards as well. An address book of the important numbers for you to call just in case.
Personal hygiene items.
One of those straw for water filtration, if you find water and need a quick filtering there you go.  I would also get small back packs for each child and they can carry their own stuff and another bottle for each.

You got me to thinking about the bags I have prepped and so I added the bags and tape.  Maybe you chould have the children have each a blanket to your tarp that is weighted.  That way you have one "tent" and everyone has a blanket as well.

I liked the water sandles.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »
All are good ideas.  Some of the items you mentioned on a part of my ever-day-carry stuff or in the truck anyway.  I should place them in the bags so they go with us.

The pen and paper is an interesting concept.  DH and I have never discussed what exactly we'd do but since he is further away, I assumed he'd make his way home and I'd get the girls and head home.  I guess we need to discuss it further.  I have been considering bags for at least kits for the girls' school backpacks but am limited by school rules.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
Maybe add a whistle and some sort of non-lethal weapon for protection.

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
I made two Get Home bags for the same reason - home IS our bug out location.

I would suggest a fixed blade knife (I got Mora's), a length of paracord, a small compass, a magnesium fire starter, a bandanna, and a small bit of fishing equipment in a tin.  You might also want to consider a military E tool for digging and hacking (not to pricey if you buy surplus) , a canteen cup that could double as a way to boil water or cook, a small flashlight, a couple of glow sticks, and possibly a small transistor radio. 

Your mention of bug repellent reminds me of something I forgot to put in my own bags.  Thanks!

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
Sun Screen

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »
Sunscreen is a good idea.  I often don't think about it because in our normal course of life, we don't burn.  Even shooting all day, I've burned once.  But, in a situation like this, even a light pink might be terribly uncomfortable and not something you want to add to the stress.